PDA

View Full Version : 22 Gun Xebec - GHQ 1:1200

Whitejamest
12-01-2013, 12:27
Hi guys. Pardon me for spamming the board lately with photos, but when I get a break between gigs I like to dive back in to model making - and of course gaming!

This time the subject is GHQ's 22 gun xebec, a neat model of an iconic ship type that will definitely be seeing some action off the North African coast. It was fun to paint something more gaudily colorful than any other ships I've done, and to try a different rigging pattern too. I usually don't drill holes in the bulwark for the rigging, but felt I had to do so here for it to be strong enough. I wish I had done a better job filling the holes up afterward, but on the gaming table I don't think it will be noticeable.

More pictures here if you're interested:
http://jwhitegallery.blogspot.com/2013/12/22-gun-xebec-ghq-11200.html

Regards,
James

Nightmoss
12-01-2013, 13:11
Awesome, James! GHQ hull details really do stand out, and your rigging is amazing. Thanks for sharing, and whenever you have something to share don't hesitate to post here.

Wouldn't it be great if Ares offers these ships in an expansion down the road?!

7eat51
12-01-2013, 15:14
She's beautiful James. :hatsoff:

I really like the color of the sails. I imagine she will stand out on a game table.

David Manley
12-01-2013, 15:21
Now that is rather lovely :)

Gunner
12-01-2013, 16:03
That is the best looking 1/1200 Xebec I have ever seen.:hatsoff:

Whitejamest
12-01-2013, 16:12
Thanks very much guys, I appreciate it. It was a fun kit to work on.

Jim, it would definitely be cool if Ares produced some of these, especially since they'll have USS Constitution (and its sister ships, if you can change the name). It would make for some nice battles off of Tripoli. Now who is willing to set their model of USS Philadelphia on fire?

Coog
12-01-2013, 16:32
Nice job on the Xebec James!

Xebecs were not only used by the North Africans. The Spanish and French also used them in the Mediterranean, thus they could be used for far more than the Barbary Wars fought by the United States.

Here's a previous post on a battle involving one:

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?437-On-This-Day-6-May

Cmmdre
12-01-2013, 16:42
Thank you for posting these incredible images of your masterful painting. It is always pleasure seeing what you've been up to. Having just read a book about Barbary Pirates I like the subject you chose. Those sails capture the feeling of impunity some of the more successful captains projected.

Nightmoss
12-01-2013, 16:47
Nice job on the Xebec James!

Xebecs were not only used by the North Africans. The Spanish and French also used them in the Mediterranean, thus they could be used for far more than the Barbary Wars fought by the United States.

Here's a previous post on a battle involving one:

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?437-On-This-Day-6-May

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that thread, and it certainly adds another level of justification for Ares to bring some Xebecs to our tables.

Whitejamest
12-01-2013, 16:48
Thanks for the kind words Coog.

I've actually been wondering about that engagement, and specifically the proportions of the Spanish xebec, El Gamo. Do we know if she was a lateen rig or a polacre? Either way she was a lot bigger than this model would represent, if Speedy was able to get so close the Spanish guns couldn't be depressed enough to fire on her. I'd love to get Speedy and Gamo on the table together.

Devsdoc
12-01-2013, 20:10
In light winds the Xebec wins hands down. Love the model James
Be safe
Rory