PDA

View Full Version : My favorite holiday song

Gunner
11-30-2013, 11:43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln01p1M2cH0

7eat51
11-30-2013, 11:54
One of my favorites is the Ramsey Lewis Trio's cover of Merry Christmas Baby.

http://youtu.be/H8mqGJTbEKc

Gunner
11-30-2013, 12:05
One of my favorites is the Ramsey Lewis Trio's cover of Merry Christmas Baby.

http://youtu.be/H8mqGJTbEKc

You can't help feeling the beat.:beer:

Nightmoss
11-30-2013, 12:43
Too many to choose just one, but when the season starts I invariably listen to this album; "Snow" being just one song of many that stand out.

http://youtu.be/7HT4dMXIr-o

csadn
12-02-2013, 00:30
Given my malevolent loathing of Christmas songs (remind me to regale you with tales of the ripsnorters I had with teachers over singing songs about Snow when I lived in the L.A. Basin), I fear most of the "holiday" songs *I* like came from Dr. Demento -- and cannot be repeated in full here. :)

Some sample titles:

"Walkin' 'Round In Women's Underwear"
"I'm In Good With Old St. Nick"

And the ever-popular "Whip Me, Santa Claus" by Mucus and the Bloody Phlegm. (If I'm lyin', I'm cryin'; I ain't shed a tear.)

Gunner
12-02-2013, 00:54
Given my malevolent loathing of Christmas songs (remind me to regale you with tales of the ripsnorters I had with teachers over singing songs about Snow when I lived in the L.A. Basin), I fear most of the "holiday" songs *I* like came from Dr. Demento -- and cannot be repeated in full here. :)

Some sample titles:

And the ever-popular "Whip Me, Santa Claus" by Mucus and the Bloody Phlegm. (If I'm lyin', I'm cryin'; I ain't shed a tear.)

I said it before and I'll say it again,
Chris, I worry about you.:drinks:

RichardPF
12-02-2013, 03:06
So perhaps this is the wrong side of the site for this, but...

http://youtu.be/Jlf---13Q0g

csadn
12-02-2013, 17:40
I said it before and I'll say it again,
Chris, I worry about you.:drinks:

It wasn't me you have to worry about -- it's the sick minds who came up with these works in the first place. :)

Granted, my main problem was: My paternal grandmother -- my Texas-Church-of-Christ-attending paternal grandmother -- invariably visited over the holidays... the one time of year Dr. D. would play these songs. Oh, by the way, did I mention my grandmother never learned to Knock Before Entering? And guess when she'd decide to come barging into my room?

This is why I refer to any song with explicit profanity, obscenity, or other R-rated content as "Grandma Songs" -- her ability to do this was ineffable (no matter how much F-ing I did when she'd do it).

Gunner
12-02-2013, 17:47
It wasn't me you have to worry about -- it's the sick minds who came up with these works in the first place. :)

Granted, my main problem was: My paternal grandmother -- my Texas-Church-of-Christ-attending paternal grandmother -- invariably visited over the holidays... the one time of year Dr. D. would play these songs. Oh, by the way, did I mention my grandmother never learned to Knock Before Entering? And guess when she'd decide to come barging into my room?

This is why I refer to any song with explicit profanity, obscenity, or other R-rated content as "Grandma Songs" -- her ability to do this was ineffable (no matter how much F-ing I did when she'd do it).

Must I repeat myself?
Time to get over your grandmother.:drinks:

Coog
12-02-2013, 18:08

I hope no warm apple pies were involved.:happy:

Naharaht
12-02-2013, 18:59
I have not heard that song before, Ed.

7eat51
12-02-2013, 19:28
Ed, I didn't notice the ACLU reference before. Nice touch given the lyrics.

RichardPF
12-02-2013, 19:55

Must I repeat myself?
Time to get over your grandmother.:drinks:

With all the Grandma references, I just had to go here:

http://youtu.be/01poO86y3qk

Gunner
12-02-2013, 21:47
Ed, I didn't notice the ACLU reference before. Nice touch given the lyrics.

This is going around a lot of shooting clubs right now (the real Americans). There is not one shoot that I have ever attended that doesn't start with the PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, and I've been to hundreds.
You're right Eric, this is not the ACLU that most people think of.

Gunner
12-02-2013, 21:51
With all the Grandma references, I just had to go here:

http://youtu.be/01poO86y3qk

One of my favorite Christmas songs.

Berthier
12-03-2013, 03:01
[QUOTE=Gunner;21901]This is going around a lot of shooting clubs right now (the real Americans). There is not one shoot that I have ever attended that doesn't start with the PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, and I've been to hundreds.

Excuse my ignorance but I looked up the pledge of allegiance which I had probably heard many times before but lacked any knowledge as to its' place and role and found the following which I hope is correct:

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Hoping this is not stepping on anyone's toes or setting off a long winded off topic discussion, but I thought the USA was considered a secular state wherein there is a separation of church and state and if this is the case how does the pledge reconcile this with the "one nation under god"? Again apologies for my lack of insight into how things work in USA and I'm absolutely not wanting to start any arguments or discussion on religion it's just a question as to whether I am labouring under a misapprehension.

Gunner
12-03-2013, 03:46
[QUOTE=Gunner;21901]This is going around a lot of shooting clubs right now (the real Americans). There is not one shoot that I have ever attended that doesn't start with the PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE, and I've been to hundreds.

Excuse my ignorance but I looked up the pledge of allegiance which I had probably heard many times before but lacked any knowledge as to its' place and role and found the following which I hope is correct:

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Hoping this is not stepping on anyone's toes or setting off a long winded off topic discussion, but I thought the USA was considered a secular state wherein there is a separation of church and state and if this is the case how does the pledge reconcile this with the "one nation under god"? Again apologies for my lack of insight into how things work in USA and I'm absolutely not wanting to start any arguments or discussion on religion it's just a question as to whether I am labouring under a misapprehension.

Please note what is underlined. Or if you don't believe in God, leave it out.

The Pledge of Allegiance of the United States is an expression of loyalty to the federal flag and the republic of the United States of America, originally composed by Francis Bellamy in 1892 and formally adopted by Congress as the pledge in 1942.[1] The Pledge has been modified four times since its composition.

Congressional sessions open with the recital of the Pledge, as do many government meetings at local levels, and meetings held by many private organizations. It is also commonly recited in school at the beginning of every school day, although the Supreme Court has ruled on several occasions that students cannot be compelled to recite the Pledge, nor can they be punished for not doing so.

According to the United States Flag Code, the Pledge of Allegiance reads:[2]
I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
According to the Flag Code, the Pledge "should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. When not in uniform men should remove any non-religious headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute

Berthier
12-03-2013, 04:10
Thanks Ed for the elucidation. So the pledge can be said by an agnostic, atheist or polytheist (say Hindu for instance) leaving out "the under God" and that is fine since it signifies a pledge to the USA flag and the Republic which it represents?

Berthier
12-03-2013, 04:12
I should add that in Australia we have no equivalent thus my confusion. We have a national anthem, sung at sporting events (usually only finals events, not regular season matches) on national days etc.

7eat51
12-03-2013, 09:01
separation of church and state

The original intent of this concept was to prohibit the government from interfering with religious freedom, especially from establishing a state church or from requiring adherence to a given religion as a requirement for holding public office; by religion, this would include different denominations within a given religious tradition, for example Congregationalists and Catholics, both branches of Christianity.

This phrase has taken on a life of its own, and is at the center of much debate in the U.S. It seems like it is used to defend almost any position, often with the irony of defending opposing positions within a given debate. One aspect of this confusion is the opposing views to the role of the courts - do they uphold the original intent of the Constitution and other documents, or do they take an activist role and interpret these documents in light of current values. Given the fundamental philosophical/worldview differences of both sides, I doubt we'll ever see a resolution.

Blackrose
12-03-2013, 09:03

Some sample titles:

You should check out Jethro Tull's Christmas Album. Some songs there for you :wink:
Karl

7eat51
12-03-2013, 09:11
Jethro Tull's Christmas Album.

Why am I unfamiliar with this? I need to check this out.

Always enjoy hearing Locomotive Breath.

Clipper1701
12-03-2013, 10:27
Saw their Passion Play live in the '70's Tull is always good. Tried to get "Living in the Past" into our wedding music, didn't work-got "Close to the Edge" instead (much better!), ah memories . . .

RichardPF
12-03-2013, 10:30
Why am I unfamiliar with this? I need to check this out.

Always enjoy hearing Locomotive Breath.

The day that I got the Aqualung album as a kid was the day my parents decided that I had gone too far in my musical taste.

7eat51
12-03-2013, 10:45
The day that I got the Aqualung album as a kid was the day my parents decided that I had gone too far in my musical taste.

By giving my parents so many other headaches, many of which were severe, they never bothered with the music I listened to.

Clipper1701
12-03-2013, 12:22
Was it "Hymn 43" on that album? I would look into my alphabetized record collection of 400 + LP's but I would have to bend over and get on my knees to find it and read it and not likely be able to stand up afterwards . . .

Gunner
12-03-2013, 13:21
Was it "Hymn 43" on that album? I would look into my alphabetized record collection of 400 + LP's but I would have to bend over and get on my knees to find it and read it and not likely be able to stand up afterwards . . .

Welcome:beer: to my world.

RichardPF
12-03-2013, 13:22

Yes it was.

Diamondback
12-03-2013, 13:36
Two letters and a number, Dave... Em Pee Three.

They make USB turntables that can turn vinyl into digital audio now...

csadn
12-03-2013, 16:26

Not sure what you mean there; but: No, there weren't.

Jack Aubrey
12-04-2013, 05:07
One of my christmas specials.....:embarass:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSczDVDZ-ak

7eat51
12-04-2013, 15:34

Oh, Uli, what can one say? In the end, I thought this was a gas. It really blew me away. Some might think the song stinks, but I think it should be aired.

Gunner
12-04-2013, 15:42
Oh, Uli, what can one say? In the end, I thought this was a gas. It really blew me away. Some might think the song stinks, but I think it should be aired.
Eric, only you could put it all so pungently.

csadn
12-04-2013, 17:22

Who invited Aunt Methyl? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSxLqJ6gHrQ

RichardPF
12-04-2013, 19:21

So, what you're saying is that the secret of reindeer flight is jet propulsion?

Poor Santa...

Jack Aubrey
12-05-2013, 13:23
Think about the Zeppelin...gas is the solution....

Christmas time is comming. When you buy some gifts, you can see for example this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJzFVFqNuRE