PDA

View Full Version : What is your Holiday tradition

Cpt Kangaroo
11-29-2013, 14:52
I just thought of a great topic for while we are waiting for the big day!

We have members all over the world, each with their own holiday traditions.

It would be a lot of fun to hear what we all get up to...

My parents have their holidays on the beach in south Australia, which is summer for them.

The meals are mostly of a cold cuts, seafood and salads because of the hot climate.

Growing up, this is what I remember every year, that and swimming etc. I bet our northern Members shudder to think of that. :shock:

Now that I live in Florida, with only mild winters, we do things a little differently..

In my case, I spend a lot of time off on an island, somewhere you can only get to by boat, to avoid all the craziness around this time. (A little escapism if you will.)

One of the traditions is to decorate the boat and do a lot of night cruising to see all the lights on the waterfront and other vessels. It has a beauty all it's own.

At New Years, we anchor in the middle of the bay and watch a 360 degree fireworks display.

I look forward to reading other traditions!

For fun, here is a Jimmy Buffet Christmas song...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAd47lmazyw&feature=youtube_gdata

Cmmdre
11-29-2013, 18:30
I just thought of a great topic for while we are waiting for the big day!

We have members all over the world, each with their own holiday traditions.

It would be a lot of fun to hear what we all get up to...
In my case, I spend a lot of time off on an island, somewhere you can only get to by boat, to avoid all the craziness around this time. (A little escapism if you will.)

I did that once with my wife through a Thanksgiving holiday in Florida. We paddled out of Chokoloske Bay on Thanksgiving and headed up river to a secluded chickee in the mangroves the first night, we even ate turkey and stuffing. Next two days we had islands, water and sky to ourselves it was great paddling around 10,000 Islands. These days we stick close to home and do a traditional Thanksgiving Day meal and play boardgames and family things with our daughter. :eat::singin::happy: