PDA

View Full Version : when not painting ships

Old Ironsides
11-24-2013, 19:47
Started collecting Bolt Action 28mm WWII at RockCon...just completed assembly and painting this weekend.

http://rallyroundtheflag.blogspot.com/2013/11/foray-into-building-bolt-action-armies.html?m=1

Hope you like.

Wargamer
11-24-2013, 21:33
Interesting advertisement for world war 2 ground force miniatures, but on a Napoleonic naval site?

Gunner
11-24-2013, 22:21
Interesting advertisement for world war 2 ground force miniatures, but on a Napoleonic naval site?

Look at a few posts down and you will find ACW, look further and you will find an assortment of other eras. We're just trying to keep the site alive until our ships come in. Hopefully any time now.:beer:

Nightmoss
11-24-2013, 22:52
Very nice work, Aaron. You've been busy if you just got those at RockCon?

Old Ironsides
11-25-2013, 08:29
Look at a few posts down and you will find ACW, look further and you will an assortment of other eras. We're just trying to keep the site alive until our ships come in. Hopefully any time now.:beer:

Exactly! I have many eras of interests, this and ACW are just what I have been doing lately. Still have a ton of Pre-dreads and WWI ships to paint.

Yes, I picked up a box of Germans and Americans at ROCKCON, so this is primarily all I have been painting since.

7eat51
11-25-2013, 08:42
Thank you for sharing, Aaron. I have been collecting A&A minis, and recently started acquiring buildings; this coming summer will see these finally hit the table. I picked up a series of FoW books in a deal, excitedly, when I discovered A&A and FoW are the same scale. I saw Bolt Action at Origins this year. I look forward to hearing about your experience with the game, and to see the additions to your collection.

I have been experiencing a growing interest in naval minis and hex-and-chit games from different periods. I like having the theme and variation, if you will. It, also, provides more inroads for bringing others into gaming.

Gunner
11-25-2013, 08:47
Exactly! I have many eras of interests, this and ACW are just what I have been doing lately. Still have a ton of Pre-dreads and WWI ships to paint.

Yes, I picked up a box of Germans and Americans at ROCKCON, so this is primarily all I have been painting since.

My hat goes off to you on the Bolt Action plastic figures. That's way beyond my patience level. All my Bolt action figures are metal.

DeRuyter
11-25-2013, 11:20
Nice job Aaron. Bolt Action is a fun game. I have 15mm US Marines and Japanese that I use for it and also just took the 28mm WWII plunge!

I decided to start with US Army and won a squad of Artizan US infantry in a Toys for Tots auction. I am working on a Sherman right now. What paint and color did you use on your vehicles? I was debating using the Army Painter system.

Eric

Пилот
11-25-2013, 16:03
Started collecting Bolt Action 28mm WWII at RockCon...just completed assembly and painting this weekend.

http://rallyroundtheflag.blogspot.com/2013/11/foray-into-building-bolt-action-armies.html?m=1

Hope you like.
Very nice. Actualy, I'm thinking of entering BA too, but I'm not sure yet should I take Japs (which I incline to) or '44 Germans. As I've seen 1000 pts army is easy to build and quite enough to play. Only problem is free time, of course :)

Blackrose
11-25-2013, 16:45
I bought the rules, and some of the army books; I have a couple of boxes of Airifix soldiers from an ill-fated Crossfire campaign to paint up.
As with Heмaњa, the issue is time :dazed:
Karl

Old Ironsides
11-25-2013, 17:02
Nice job Aaron. Bolt Action is a fun game. I have 15mm US Marines and Japanese that I use for it and also just took the 28mm WWII plunge!

I decided to start with US Army and won a squad of Artizan US infantry in a Toys for Tots auction. I am working on a Sherman right now. What paint and color did you use on your vehicles? I was debating using the Army Painter system.

Eric

Eric,

The U.S. vehicles were the easiest so far. I primed them then painted a base coat using Testors Model Master Olive drab(#1911) I then used my Vallejo acrylics.

Tracks-German Track Black (#333)
Machine guns-mix of oily steel (#70865) and black(#70950)
Tools- Oily steel and burnt umber(#941)
Apply decals
Tracks and hull-brushed on Flat earth for dirt and mud(#70983)
Once dry a liberal coat of sepia shade wash especially on the tracks and wheels (#73200)
Dry brush with Dead white(#72001)
Finally two coats of testor dull coat to seal everything

Additionally, I installed some rare each magnets to the turret and hull (left over form check your six stands) so the turret stays in place, but easily rotates.

HTH,

DeRuyter
11-26-2013, 09:40
Aaron:

Thanks for the detailed painting info. I just checked and I have a can of the Testors OD spray. These plastics bring me back to the days of building 1/35 scale Tamyia models!

Eric

Old Ironsides
12-01-2013, 11:37
Last night finally had the chance to actually play at home after constructing the troops and terrain.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/adfilter/Bolt%20Action%2028mm%20WWII/20131130_163216_zps7ddefcb6.jpg (http://s441.photobucket.com/user/adfilter/media/Bolt%20Action%2028mm%20WWII/20131130_163216_zps7ddefcb6.jpg.html)

Full report here:

http://rallyroundtheflag.blogspot.com/2013/12/bolt-action-terrain-and-first-game.html

Enjoy!

Aaron

Cmmdre
12-01-2013, 11:43
Nice job Aaron. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Пилот
12-02-2013, 15:49
When not painting ships? Promoting WoG with my friends in women's magazine :girlie: , November issue :rum:

csadn
12-02-2013, 17:35
When not painting ships? Promoting WoG with my friends in women's magazine

Hey -- anything which gets across the message "Yes, not only are females welcome at the gaming table, they have always been welcome, and have always been here". (One of the annoyances The SO and The Me share is the notion held by Mundanes that "gamers are all socially-inept males", and "women are only just now discovering gaming".)

7eat51
12-03-2013, 09:22
Hey -- anything which gets across the message "Yes, not only are females welcome at the gaming table, they have always been welcome, and have always been here". (One of the annoyances The SO and The Me share is the notion held by Mundanes that "gamers are all socially-inept males", and "women are only just now discovering gaming".)

I have to admit, seeing a WoG story in a women's magazine is a bit unexpected to me; that might have to do with the women's magazine covers I typically see in the stores. When I played wargames 30 or so years ago, there weren't many women playing AH-type games; there were more playing D&D. Sue is new to war-gaming, but she has definitely jumped in, which I think is to the credit of the WoG and SoG systems. I am also seeing more parent-child playing than I saw back in the '70s and early '80s. For someone who thought table-top gaming was dead, I have been pleasantly surprised.

Comte de Brueys
12-03-2013, 11:53
Nice article, Nemaja!

Cool! :salute:

Gunner
12-03-2013, 13:08
Nemaja

So that's the way it's pronounced. I was getting tongue tied. Thanks.:beer:

Avi
12-03-2013, 13:42
Re: Women and Gaming
Considering a big part of my wooing (is that a verb?) my SO was me translating with her the OD&D rules, I cant agree more with more women :girlie: in gaming is good

I do my bit by making sure all my nephews and nieces play an RPG - the eldest niece is actually THE player in the family now...

Diamondback
12-03-2013, 14:29
The other thing is there was that whole "D&D is satanic black magic, and by extension all games are" view that was held by certain sectors of prior generations, and still prevails in some small communities--to some degree, historical gaming may have helped with that though. Hard to criticize a game that's lionizing what YOU did on the field years before... LOL

7eat51
12-03-2013, 14:47
D&D is satanic black magic

That's why we switched to Pathfinder. :wink:

Diamondback
12-03-2013, 14:57
LOL, but remember the same crowd--what one of my favorite cop-bloggers calls "Shi'ite Baptists"--doesn't have the mental faculties to split that hair... the kinds that say "Anything with magic in it is Satanic" then when you point out Tolkien's works and the Narnia stories they come back about "those are from Good Christian writers and have Good Christian messages in them, they're different." *snort*

For the record, I'm not bashing religion--I believe myself a man of quiet but deep faith myself, and am the first to admit that I'm only around because Someone Upstairs takes FAR better care of me than I deserve--but those that make a mockery of faith, whatever denomination they come from.

7eat51
12-03-2013, 15:18
I remember the reaction of some within the church back then. I, too, thought the Tolkien/Lewis argument was a bit wanting.

DB, you might find this interesting, but I am using Pathfinder with a group of students as a lab in which we explore cultivating a virtuous character, building upon the writings of Thomas Aquinas - Christianity embracing roleplaying.

Gunner
12-03-2013, 15:18
By Diamondback
"LOL, but remember the same crowd--what one of my favorite cop-bloggers calls "Shi'ite Baptists"--doesn't have the mental faculties to split that hair... the kinds that say "Anything with magic in it is Satanic" then when you point out Tolkien's works and the Narnia stories they come back about "those are from Good Christian writers and have Good Christian messages in them, they're different." *snort*

For the record, I'm not bashing religion--I believe myself a man of quiet but deep faith myself, and am the first to admit that I'm only around because Someone Upstairs takes FAR better care of me than I deserve--but those that make a mockery of faith, whatever denomination they come from".

Hear, hear!:g&t:

csadn
12-03-2013, 16:17
Can't help thinking of that line from _South Park_:

Priest: "Jesus! We thought you'd been killed... in Iraq ."
Jesus: "I have the power of Resurrection, brainiac."
Priest: "Oh, right -- forgot about that."
Jesus: [annoyed] "Indeed, there is *much* you have forgotten!"

[*: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItMakesSenseInContext ;) ]

Diamondback
12-03-2013, 16:25
I can believe it, Eric--I've long seen the value of RP as a laboratory, and all Force-on-Force training is is an institutionalized "legitimized and professionalized" version of LARP.

The summer after the Appalachian Law School and Virginia Tech shootings, we actually used it to test various theories of how to address such situations at my alma mater... the Chancellor of the college and I planned it out over a few lunches, then Campus Security ran the scenario and I took the role of the aggressor.

Coog
12-03-2013, 19:03
The other thing is there was that whole "D&D is satanic black magic, and by extension all games are" view that was held by certain sectors of prior generations, and still prevails in some small communities--to some degree, historical gaming may have helped with that though. Hard to criticize a game that's lionizing what YOU did on the field years before... LOL

Link to a classic pamphlet on D&D:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.ASP

7eat51
12-03-2013, 19:12
I can believe it, Eric--I've long seen the value of RP as a laboratory, and all Force-on-Force training is is an institutionalized "legitimized and professionalized" version of LARP.

The summer after the Appalachian Law School and Virginia Tech shootings, we actually used it to test various theories of how to address such situations at my alma mater... the Chancellor of the college and I planned it out over a few lunches, then Campus Security ran the scenario and I took the role of the aggressor.

Very cool. I use role play all the time in class. Whenever a student tells me what they would say, I respond with "O.K., let's role play this out." It quickly surfaces the gaps in understanding and the difference between an idea of what one would say and having the actual words to say it. So much comes out of these times; they seed a lot of conversations.

When we started playing Pathfinder, a friend mentioned how the game has him thinking about his behavior during the day. I had been thinking the same thing, and that was when I decided to explore using Pathfinder in a deliberate way, and to couple it with readings. That is what I am now trying to do. The other night, near the end of a gaming session, one of the students made a decision. We spent the next 20 minutes in a great discussion about the relationship between that decision and the virtue we discussed over dinner.

Link to a classic pamphlet on D&D:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.ASP

Chick tracks - I haven't seen one of these in years.

csadn
12-04-2013, 17:03
Chick tracks - I haven't seen one of these in years.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicBook/ChickTracts?from=Main.ChickTracts

>;)

Пилот
12-08-2013, 19:03
"D&D is satanic black magic, and by extension all games are"
My friends wife sticks to that definition... Fortunately, he doesn't :happy: