PDA

View Full Version : Proper Spelling for French Ship Names?

Nightmoss
11-22-2013, 14:49
I'm making labels for a new ship, but I want to be sure I'm using proper spelling. For the 120 gun Orient. Should it be l'Orient, L'Orient or just Orient? I expect I'll do more of these Ocean class ships as they're pretty impressive.
Thanks much.

csadn
11-22-2013, 15:46
I'm making labels for a new ship, but I want to be sure I'm using proper spelling. For the 120 gun Orient. Should it be l'Orient, L'Orient or just Orient? I expect I'll do more of these Ocean class ships as they're pretty impressive.

Technically it's _L'Orient_, short for _Le Orient_; in the same way ships are usually referred to as "the _[ship name]_" (a practice which becomes really irritating when an English speaker refers to a non-English-named ship as "the [non-English word for "the"] _[ship name]_, as in "the _L'Orient_"; an example of this crops up in _The Maltese Falcon_).

Nightmoss
11-22-2013, 18:16
Technically it's _L'Orient_, short for _Le Orient_; in the same way ships are usually referred to as "the _[ship name]_" (a practice which becomes really irritating when an English speaker refers to a non-English-named ship as "the [non-English word for "the"] _[ship name]_, as in "the _L'Orient_"; an example of this crops up in _The Maltese Falcon_).

Thanks Chris. I saw enough name variations on the web to make me want to check in here. I'm going with L'Orient, which also looks better imho.

Comte de Brueys
11-22-2013, 23:16
The correct name is Orient, Jim.

"L'" or "Le" is an article

Like in German the name of the ships are without articles. (Bismarck not "Die Bismarck")

You'll never say "USS The Missouri", too. :wink:

Nightmoss
11-23-2013, 09:20

Like in German the name of the ships are without articles. (Bismarck not "Die Bismarck")

OK, so I drop the article, which I can understand. Just out of curiosity did the French ever include another designation in their ship names? We often see USS, HMS, RMS, CSS, SMS, RNS, etc., in ship names. Thanks!

Nightmoss
11-23-2013, 18:39
My first French ship, a Langton 120 Ocean class. I expect it wont be my last French ship, but having just come off a GHQ Victory build I can see that the hull detail is a tad more refined in their molds. You still can't beat Langton sail options though.

I also included some shots of the Santisima Trinidad with the Orient. I'm pretty sure someone here mentioned the fact that these particular French ships were as big (if not bigger) than the ST. Cheers!

Gunner
11-24-2013, 00:14

Thanks Sven. I always had a problem with that.:beer:

Comte de Brueys
11-24-2013, 04:40
... Just out of curiosity did the French ever include another designation in their ship names? We often see USS, HMS, RMS, CSS, SMS, RNS, etc., in ship names.

I don't think so.

Neither under the reign of the Roi Soleil Louis XIV they add designations to the ship's names.

I knew the German Kaiserreich (1871 - 1918) named some ships with an additonal designations like SMS (Seiner Majestät Schiff = Her Majesty's Ship) or SMY (Seiner Majestät Yacht = Her Majesty's Yacht)

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7727&d=1385293532

Nightmoss
11-24-2013, 08:59
I don't think so.

Neither under the reign of the Roi Soleil Louis XIV they add designations to the ship's names.

I knew the German Kaiserreich (1871 - 1918) named some ships with an additonal designations like SMS (Seiner Majestät Schiff = Her Majesty's Ship) or SMY (Seiner Majestät Yacht = Her Majesty's Yacht)

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7727&d=1385293532

Thanks Sven. Nice model by the way. Is that one of your creations?

csadn
11-24-2013, 23:11
Just out of curiosity did the French ever include another designation in their ship names? We often see USS, HMS, RMS, CSS, SMS, RNS, etc., in ship names. Thanks!

No -- they let the British do that for them.... >;)

*We* might not -- you'd be amazed at the linguistic atrocities I've heard....