PDA

View Full Version : Langton 1:1200 Gunboats

Whitejamest
11-17-2013, 16:58
Hi guys. I haven't been around the forums much lately and work has slowed my pace of production to a meager crawl, but I did manage to finish up a couple very diminutive pieces - two 1-gun gunboats from Langton. I'm trying to build up a flotilla of these, and while it's going to take a while I think it will be worthwhile. In terms of scenario building, these are pretty versatile elements, and will definitely come in handy in the Great Lakes.

I followed The Royal Hajj's example and used nylon paintbrush bristles for the rigging. For something this small, it was definitely helpful not to have to tie off string and try to keep tension. More of these will definitely follow in time.

Here's the post on my blog if you'd like to see more of these.
http://jwhitegallery.blogspot.com/2013/11/1-gun-gunboats-langton-miniatures-11200.html

Regards,
James

Here's a size comparison shot with the 32-gun HMS Cleopatra (GHQ) in the background.

Devsdoc
11-17-2013, 17:40
OMG James,
They look good. Thanks for the info on the rigging. I will be doing in-shore fleets for Russian and Swedes after my Swedish high sea fleet. I hope to start the swedes before Christmas, or just after. I will be looking back to this thread alot.
Be safe
Rory

Cmmdre
11-17-2013, 17:48
The bristle technique looks excellent. Thank you for posting samples of your fine work James. :thumbsup:

DeRuyter
11-18-2013, 14:13
Nice work! I have some of the small lake ships and the rigging is certainly fiddly - I'll have to try the bristle method myself!

Whitejamest
11-19-2013, 06:25
Thanks guys, glad you like them. I'll post some more as the flotilla grows. - James

Devsdoc
11-19-2013, 12:07
James,
I was not happy with the idea of doing the smaller boats, size and brass sails. But now I wish I had got some in-shore Swedes as well.I must say thank you for making me see that they can look good and are doable. I think at this size the brush hairs for rigging is the way to go. Before your post I would not have said that! You as before make me look outside the box.
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
11-19-2013, 14:46
They're beautiful, James. Placing them next to the Cleopatra provides a good idea of what they'll look like on a table.

Using the bristles is very sharp.

Capt P
11-26-2013, 15:53
Very nice job on those. Another modeler I have to envy for your talent.

Whitejamest
11-27-2013, 19:36
Thanks very much guys, I appreciate it. - James

Volunteer
11-30-2013, 00:06
James,
I don't want folks to think I don't apreciate your work. I gushed over these models on TMP and on your site. I missed them here. You always do superbe work. I wish I could do the precision painting you do.
Regards,
Vol

Bligh
11-30-2013, 01:07
Very impressive James.
I wonder just how well Ares models will stand up to scrutiny when placed alongside your very professional results.
Bligh.

Nightmoss
11-30-2013, 09:40
James,
I don't want folks to think I don't apreciate your work. I gushed over these models on TMP and on your site. I missed them here. You always do superbe work. I wish I could do the precision painting you do.
Regards,
Vol

Ditto what Vol has said. I actually saw these first over on TMP. Beautiful work, as always, James.

Whitejamest
11-30-2013, 21:13
Thanks very much guys, I appreciated your comments over on TMP too - all the more so knowing well the very high standards of your own work :)

Thank you for the kind words Rob - the Ares models might not have all the same aesthetic appeal as a finished GHQ or Langton model, but getting a fleet deployed should certainly be a quicker process!