PDA

View Full Version : CSS _Georgia_ Part Raised

csadn
11-14-2013, 15:31
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/13/us/georgia-civil-war-ironclad-ship/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

A bit outside our timeframe, but....

Naharaht
11-14-2013, 20:39
It will be interesting to see how this salvage develops.

7eat51
11-14-2013, 21:56
Yankees? :wink:

Thanks for sharing the story, Chris.

I have a growing interest in the ACW. I recently picked up Guns of Gettysburg, and, to the possible dismay of some of my fellow shipmates, Iron and Oak. I was debating for a long time on the latter one. I decided to pull the trigger because I think a friend would enjoy playing it.

David Manley
11-14-2013, 23:14
I think my possibly excessive interest in the naval side of the ACW has already been established (if you think my 1/600 fleets are large you should see my 1/1200 collection!!)

7eat51
11-14-2013, 23:17
I think my possibly excessive interest in the naval side of the ACW has already been established (if you think my 1/600 fleets are large you should see my 1/1200 collection!!)

What attracted you to ACW naval history/actions?

David Manley
11-14-2013, 23:24
Several reasons, including:

Innovation and unusual designs - lots of really whacky looking ships, submarines, mines, forts, torpedo boats etc.

Personalities - plenty of scope to reflect the "human" aspect of the conflict

Compact engagements - with a few exceptions the actions were fairly limited in the number of vessels involved which makes for interesting and realistic games that can be fought out in a short gaming session

Large engagements - but with some honking great big battles that are good for club games and larger events

A long-standing interest in the civil war, arising from my Airfix wargaming past

Plus of course its naval, and I have a general and expansive interest in all forms of naval wargaming

7eat51
11-14-2013, 23:41
A sensible set of reasons. It seems like it is the period of crossing from sail to steam, from wood to metal. I am relatively new to the era, but I like that you have river battles, blockades, fort assaults, etc. - a lot of scenario potential.

Are you familiar with Rebel Raiders on the High Seas: http://www.gmtgames.com/p-238-rebel-...high-seas.aspx