PDA

View Full Version : draft Land and Boat Variant Rules Uploaded

David Manley
11-04-2013, 13:22
Draft rules for land units and boats uploaded and in the moderation queue. Comments welcomed when they are available for you guys to pull apart :salute:

7eat51
11-04-2013, 13:38
Thank you for the rules, David.

1. There is no staggering between crew and troops as far as losses while onboard ship, correct? When a ship takes a crew causality, the ship loses a crew and a troop. If in a given round, a ship with three troops took three crew hits, it would lose all of its troops.

2. When a boat takes a crew damage counter, can the boat be reclaimed, or is it lost completely? You differentiate between hull and crew damage when drawing a chit that causes both, applying only the crew damage.

Cool stuff, here.

David Manley
11-04-2013, 14:40
Thank you for the rules, David.

1. There is no staggering between crew and troops as far as losses while onboard ship, correct? When a ship takes a crew causality, the ship loses a crew and a troop. If in a given round, a ship with three troops took three crew hits, it would lose all of its troops.

2. When a boat takes a crew damage counter, can the boat be reclaimed, or is it lost completely? You differentiate between hull and crew damage when drawing a chit that causes both, applying only the crew damage.

Cool stuff, here.

1. Yes. My rationale here was that decks packed with troops would tend to lead to heavy casualties amongst the passengers. Note that losing a troop unit doesn't mean they are all dead, just that the unit itself isn't combat effective (casualties, morale being the major issues)

2. To keep it simple the boat unit is lost

As a bit of background I did start with distributing troop units along the crew track so they were lost proportionally with crew casualties, but I thought a simple approach might be better, and a good incentive to get the grunts off the ship at the earliest possibility (and if you are caught by enemy ships with your decks packed with troops you deserve to get a kicking)

On the boats - you could reclaim boat units lost to crew casualties, but my thinking there was that crew loss also included minor damage to the boats that eventually causes them to founder.

Wargamer
11-04-2013, 15:32
And how would these pics fit into your rules?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10455329@N08/sets/72157627108456494/

And a point that confuses me, I thought that the boats were offloaded before battle (if at all possible) to prevent extra wood shrapnel effects from the shattering boats, and to have something for survivors to crawl into as worse case.

David Manley
11-04-2013, 15:39
Jolly boats? Musketry from boat groups I guess. And re boats offloaded, they normally would be, but if you were planning a landing by boat you'd need them around somewhere, else the booties would have to swim :) I suppose you could offload the boats, tow them astern and then pull them in to load the troops - takes an extra turn to haul them in and rig them for use, hull box damage still KOs a boat unit through near misses, parted cables, etc. but splinters don't affect the ship. How does that sound?

7eat51
11-04-2013, 17:57
Thanks for the previous answers. Here are a few more questions.

For infantry, the effective firing range is C/D, whereas musket fire onboard ship is a ruler's width. Does this reflect different weaponry, more stable shooting platform and thus greater accuracy?

For artillery round shot, use B damage chits due to close range? Are both types of artillery able to fire both types of ammo? I am looking at the different ranges for each type of artillery.

Looking forward to trying these out. I like some of the shore scenarios I have read about.

David Manley
11-04-2013, 19:40
Thanks for the previous answers. Here are a few more questions.

For infantry, the effective firing range is C/D, whereas musket fire onboard ship is a ruler's width. Does this reflect different weaponry, more stable shooting platform and thus greater accuracy?

For artillery round shot, use B damage chits due to close range? Are both types of artillery able to fire both types of ammo? I am looking at the different ranges for each type of artillery.

Looking forward to trying these out. I like some of the shore scenarios I have read about.

In turn:

Yes to the longer range for musketry
Artillery - yes, B at close range, and yes to both types.

fredmiracle
01-09-2014, 11:16
Thanks for sending these David--I really liked them, and expect to use them when we have time to play a campaign.

A few thoughts on possible add-ons, based on how can imagine using them:

- Not having appropriate miniatures or block pieces, I thought I'd probably make up some (crude) icons of the appropriate size, print them out, and glue them to cardboard. A nice add-on for this file would be to have a page of such game piece graphics included in case other people are in the same situation

- One issue that could be addressed are questions of surprise and visibility. Normally the success of a cutting out expedition rested in part, I believe, on stealth and surprise (?) So there could be simple rules for day/night/fog/clear spotting and activation for forts and ground units

- Perhaps offer simple rules for converting some portion of a ship's crew boxes into a land fighting unit, and specifying the stats for the resulting unit. Possibly something similar for forts as well-like maybe the part of the "crew" of a fort can be detached and formed into an infantry company. And conversely, infantry reinforcements could be used to bring the crew of a damaged fort back up to strength...

- Maybe rules for how raiding units can achieve goals they may be tasked to perform--what does it take to capture and bring out a small ship, to burn a ship, to damage/destroy a fortification, etc.

Just some thoughts ...

David Manley
01-11-2014, 04:40
Some good thoughts there Fred, I shall have a think and will let you know what I come up with

spiessbuerger
02-27-2014, 08:37
Draft rules for land units and boats uploaded and in the moderation queue. Comments welcomed when they are available for you guys to pull apart :salute:

file is no more available. :sad:

I'm interested in any landing house rules. Want to make own scenarious where landing troops have to capture batteries or forts.
Any suggestions?

David Manley
02-27-2014, 09:28
Drop me a PM and I will send you a copy of the rules

David Manley
02-27-2014, 09:29
PS what i meant was drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy.How do we go about reloading the file?