PDA

View Full Version : couple of newbie questions

fredmiracle
11-01-2013, 03:46
Hello all, I have a few basic questions, and haven't been able to turn up the answers...

#1) I was wondering, do we have any intel at all about the:

"downloadable tournament rules and point system available for free from www.aresgames.eu"

referenced in the rules PDF?

#2) Do we have any information about what is in the Ability Deck and how it works?

Thanks!!

The Royal Hajj
11-01-2013, 07:29
No and No at this time. I don't expect to see any supporting downloads on their site until the game is actually released.

BSG_Fan
11-01-2013, 17:21
#2) Do we have any information about what is in the Ability Deck and how it works?

This is from the BoardGameGeek forum:

We will post more previews soon...
In the meantime, here are the names of the 10 abilities selected to go into this set:

(Captain's Abilities)
Charismatic Captain
Iron Captain
Lucky Captain
Intuitive Captain
Fast-Thinking

(Crew Abilities)
Good Aim
Well-trained Gunners
Elite Marines
Hold Fast
Skillful Quartermaster

Each of the ability cards is included 4 times in the set.

fredmiracle
11-01-2013, 17:49
This is from the BoardGameGeek forum:

We will post more previews soon...
In the meantime, here are the names of the 10 abilities selected to go into this set:

(Captain's Abilities)
Charismatic Captain
Iron Captain
Lucky Captain
Intuitive Captain
Fast-Thinking

(Crew Abilities)
Good Aim
Well-trained Gunners
Elite Marines
Hold Fast
Skillful Quartermaster

Each of the ability cards is included 4 times in the set.

That whets my appetite. Thanks!

David Manley
11-02-2013, 00:08

There are a number of abilities applicable to the ship's crew or her captain, mostly limited use (i.e. once or twice per game), not particularly overpowering and generally pretty useful. Can't say more than that yet, but if you think of various plot devices in age of sail novels that the hero uses to get one over on the enemy you'll be on the right track :happy:

Diamondback
11-02-2013, 00:12
I've also suggested an optional rule to limit overpowering by restricting things to one Captain ability per ship.

For the record, everybody, Fred's one of my old users from my days modding another wargaming board, so be nice to him.

David Manley
11-02-2013, 00:18
For the record, everybody, Fred's one of my old users from my days modding another wargaming board, so be nice to him.

Everyone here is nice to everyone :happy:

David Manley
11-02-2013, 00:46
I've also suggested an optional rule to limit overpowering by restricting things to one Captain ability per ship.

Very sensible, but not applied if your captain's name is Bolitho, Ramage, Hornblower, Drinkwater or Aubrey :happy:

Comte de Brueys
11-02-2013, 05:58
Did you consider disabilities, too? :question:

Hesitation
Inaccuracy
Cowardice
Vanity
Confusion
etc...

Some Spanisch & French Captains want their individual abilites, too. :wink:

Berthier
11-02-2013, 06:52

Hesitation
Inaccuracy
Cowardice
Vanity
Confusion
etc...

drunkeness :drinks:

Comte de Brueys
11-02-2013, 06:56
That's a "positive" ability, Daniel.

:g&t:

I want Explosion* for my French 1st rate captain. (greetings to Abukir :wink:)

* each damage chit 5+ will blow up your ship immediately

7eat51
11-02-2013, 07:25

Hesitation
Inaccuracy
Cowardice
Vanity
Confusion
etc...

That's funny. :hatsoff:

7eat51
11-02-2013, 07:33
"downloadable tournament rules and point system available for free from www.aresgames.eu"

If the Aerodrome is any indicator of such topics, I imagine 2014 will see some lively discussion on such matters here. It seems that the folks at Ares appreciate dialogue with the Aerodrome community on point systems for planes, ace abilities, etc., so regardless of what is initially posted, I doubt a "final" point system would be in play until after the game has been out for a bit; it seems to be a living concept.

One thing I am hoping to see is the development of solo rules, such as to enable campaigns similar to Over the Trenches.

Gunner
11-02-2013, 11:02

Hesitation
Inaccuracy
Cowardice
Vanity
Confusion
etc...

Let us not forget MUTINY:swordright::angry::swordleft:

fredmiracle
11-02-2013, 16:14

Hesitation
Inaccuracy
Cowardice
Vanity
Confusion
etc...

Funny--but at the same time, for scenarios, handicapping, or in order to reduce the cost of a ship in a point-build situation, I could definitely imagine negative cards being viable.

I.e., you can afford a 74, or for the same cost get a first-rate with a reduced or inexperienced crew, or low-quality powder, or whatever.

Given the extent to which ship ratings and configurations were standardized during this period (as per my limited knowledge at least), these cards seem to be quite important to adding variety to the gaming experience

Naharaht
11-02-2013, 23:36
To Captain's disabilities add 'Rashness'. To Crew disabilities add 'Disease'.

David Manley
11-03-2013, 04:15
We had great fun with this kind of thing running an ACW campaign back in the 1990s, knocking up a "character generation system", almost an RPG process for ships captains that eventually went into the ACW supplement for my "Iron and Fire" rules. some of the more "extrovert" players enjoyed getting in character, so much so that after one particularly disastrous Union assault on a Confederate port the Union admiral decided to court martial some of his commanders - and the guys played it out, in character (the defendants got off when it was revealed tht one of them has some dodgy photographic plates from the Admiral's last bout of shore leave!)

7eat51
11-03-2013, 18:29
an RPG process for ships captains

It would be fun to have a system in place that can take someone from midshipman to admiral, with associated increasing scope of commands. Early on, a character could be in charge of a ship's cannon side. After so many hits inflicted, or some such criteria, a promotion would be in order, each rank having its own set of criteria. Similarly, if the given ship side took x-amount of damage, there would be a probability that the character would die or undergo an amputation, etc. With increased experience would come increased abilities.