PDA

View Full Version : Millenniumcon

Coog
10-31-2013, 18:24
A good sign for interest in SOG. Andy Blozinski is running a demo game at Milleniumcon on 9 November. The last spot was filled yesterday while there are still a lot of games with a lot of openings.

7eat51
10-31-2013, 19:22
Very cool.

Will you be playing, Bobby?

Coog
10-31-2013, 19:27
Very cool.

Will you be playing, Bobby?

Yes I will. Also Blake is running WOG and I'll be playing/helping with that.

7eat51
10-31-2013, 19:32
Wishing you a fun-filled time. Will you be playing other games? I played in Aaron's Naval Thunder game last weekend. I can't get over how enjoyable it was.

I look forward to hearing your impressions of SoG.

Andy Blozinski
10-31-2013, 19:35
I got the demo kit in today. It's amazing how small everything is. I'm just so accustomed to the 1/700th scale ships of Portsmouth that we see run around here so much. I'm kind of glad Ares went larger than 1/1200th.
I'm taking a break from working at home, so I'll be able to check it out more this weekend. Main point is that we are confirmed good to go!
I have (12) ships, so I can actually take more than what the game listing says.

Coog
10-31-2013, 19:39
Wishing you a fun-filled time. Will you be playing other games? I played in Aaron's Naval Thunder game last weekend. I can't get over how enjoyable it was.

I look forward to hearing your impressions of SoG.

Some Dark Ages, British Colonial, and Vietnam. I like some variety at cons.

7eat51
10-31-2013, 19:43
Some Dark Ages, British Colonial, and Vietnam. I like some variety at cons.

All minis?

I need to take advantage of variety more. I have seen some awesome setups that I doubt I would ever be able to play elsewhere.

Coog
10-31-2013, 19:52
All minis?

I need to take advantage of variety more. I have seen some awesome setups that I doubt I would ever be able to play elsewhere.

Yes. I came close to signing up for an American Revolution sailing game but I had played in it last year. It was the Battle of Lake Champlain using paper ships. They really looked good. David Manley would have been proud of me. I commanded a British ship-sloop. I dismasted and captured a rebel sloop and chased a schooner off the board. Taught those bloody traitorous colonials a lesson!

7eat51
10-31-2013, 20:23
Yes. I came close to signing up for an American Revolution sailing game but I had played in it last year. It was the Battle of Lake Champlain using paper ships. They really looked good. David Manley would have been proud of me. I commanded a British ship-sloop. I dismasted and captured a rebel sloop and chased a schooner off the board. Taught those bloody traitorous colonials a lesson!

Hmmm. Taking down a colonial ship. What should we make of that?

What system did you use?

I printed some paper ACW ships from the link Ed provided the other day. I am impressed by their quality. They will more than suffice until I build a fleet of actual minis. I will be using them with David's rules.

Coog
10-31-2013, 20:26
What system did you use?

Away Boarders

7eat51
10-31-2013, 20:56
Away Boarders

Thanks, Bobby. Free rules and paper gaming pieces: http://warartisan.com/rules

csadn
11-01-2013, 14:52
Hmmm. Taking down a colonial ship. What should we make of that?

That it takes an American to get the British to win a battle against Americans? ;)

David Manley
11-01-2013, 15:25
Nah, happens here all the time :)

David Manley
11-01-2013, 15:26

Well done old chap :happy:

Gunner
11-01-2013, 15:48
That it takes an American to get the British to win a battle against Americans? ;)

Somebody get a rope.

Coog
11-01-2013, 15:58

I look at it like being a joke we have down here in Texas about one of our hapless indigenous species:

Q. Why did the chicken cross the road?

A. To show the armadillo it could be done!

RichardPF
11-01-2013, 19:19
I look at it like being a joke we have down here in Texas about one of our hapless indigenous species:

:hatsoff: Outstanding!! :hatsoff:

7eat51
11-02-2013, 07:52

Well done.

Coog
11-11-2013, 17:42
I ended up playing Away Boarders again at Millenniumcon. It's definitely different from SoG, which I had played in the session prior, but a lot of fun and has a lot of elements to the game I liked. It's worth downloading.

This year I commanded two British ships and again showed the British that defeating the Americans was possible, with each of my ships capturing an American ship.

7eat51
11-11-2013, 18:44
This year I commanded two British ships and again showed the British that defeating the Americans was possible, with each of my ships capturing an American ship.

Pretty soon, we'll have to start calling you, "Sir Bobby Coog" or "Lord Coog".

What about Away Boarders do you like?

Coog
11-11-2013, 19:13
What about Away Boarders do you like?

I liked the control panel and crew management. The game might not work well with anything bigger than a ship-sloop as each cannon is represented on the control panel and the counters representing small groups of crewmen are assigned to task boxes to man the guns, sails, boarding parties, and repair crews. Each turn you get to reassign them to meet your needs. It is a bit more visual than others I've seen gives you a real feel for your ship. I never have liked paper models but I might have to change my mind. It is definitely an inexpensive way to get a variety of ships. I would like to see some War of 1812 ships for the Lakes and even some for ocean sloop actions.

7eat51
11-11-2013, 19:16
Thanks, Bobby.

What would you think of larger top-down views of ships, something that could be made out of thin wood or foam board? I wonder if the scale could be as such as to clearly delineate each gun, etc.

Coog
11-11-2013, 19:26
Thanks, Bobby.

What would you think of larger top-down views of ships, something that could be made out of thin wood or foam board? I wonder if the scale could be as such as to clearly delineate each gun, etc.

Probably would take up too much space.

Coog
11-11-2013, 20:06
Pretty soon, we'll have to start calling you, "Sir Bobby Coog" or "Lord Coog". ?

Predictably, we had more players wanting to be the Americans than the British, so I took the British. Someone has to play the Orcs.

csadn
11-12-2013, 15:45
Predictably, we had more players wanting to be the Americans than the British, so I took the British. Someone has to play the Orcs.

So the way to get the British to win is: Put an American in charge.

>;)

Gunner
11-12-2013, 15:55
The Brit's:salute: seem to have done very well by themselves for a few centuries.

Andy Blozinski
11-12-2013, 18:30
The Brit's:salute: seem to have done very well by themselves for a few centuries.
Until they met us.

csadn
11-13-2013, 15:51

Well, look at who they were fighting -- again and again and again and again.... ;)

Gunner
11-13-2013, 17:18
Well, look at who they were fighting -- again and again and again and again.... ;)

The French, The Spanish, The French, The Ottomans, The French, The Kingdom of Holland, The French, The U.S., The French, The Kingdom of Italy, The French, Denmark/Norway. Oh! Did I mention The French?

csadn
11-14-2013, 15:28
The French, The Spanish, The French, The Ottomans, The French, The Kingdom of Holland, The French, The U.S., The French, The Kingdom of Italy, The French, Denmark/Norway. Oh! Did I mention The French?

Yeah. If they did the job right the first time, there'd not need to be a second (or third, or fourth, or...) fight. :)

Avi
11-15-2013, 01:50
Yeah. If they did the job right the first time, there'd not need to be a second (or third, or fourth, or...) fight. :)

With wars there is only one way to "do the job right" and that way is not PC any-more...:shootright::shootleft::cannonboom:

csadn
11-15-2013, 15:50
With wars there is only one way to "do the job right" and that way is not PC any-more...:shootright::shootleft::cannonboom:

Yeah -- I'd say "tell me about it", but seeing where you're from, I'd say you of all people should know better than most. :P (And: No, this is not me being funny.)