PDA

View Full Version : Rules Handouts for Players

7eat51
10-31-2013, 09:50
I created a series of player-aid handouts to use during last weekend's demo games. The handouts were not meant to be comprehensive, but to serve either as reminders of rules that are easily forgotten, or to take players through the steps of more complex situations, such as resolving collisions. I will be editing these in the next few days based on my experience from the weekend, and I welcome any advice for improvement.

My goal is to create handouts to cover all aspects of the rules for all levels of complexity. The handouts are not to replace the rulebook, but to serve as quick guides for players during gameplay, especially at gatherings like conventions.

They print well in black-and-white if you do not have access to a color printer. I am posting them in .docx format now, but once finished, I will post in .pdf as well, and will try to reduce the file sizes. I placed the handouts in page protectors to reuse in the future, and it makes organizing and carrying them easy - one binder with tabs.

Collisions: http://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=18

Taken Aback: http://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=19

Rules Reminders - Demo Games v.1 (This handout contains reminders about rules that might be easily forgotten. It is not a comprehensive coverage of rules, and only covers items suitable for demo games with new players.): http://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=20

Andy Blozinski
10-31-2013, 20:27
Most helpful. Thank you very much.

7eat51
10-31-2013, 20:46
You're welcome. After you run your games, let me know what editing you would like to see based on your experience. Best of luck next week.

Comte de Brueys
11-01-2013, 03:06
Very useful, Eric.

:thanks:

Maybe I translate this into German language as soon as the game hits Europe.

DeRuyter
11-04-2013, 08:18
Many thanks Eric. QRS and rules reminders are always helpful. :thanks: :beer:

Eric

John Paul
02-16-2014, 00:40
For the demo games I've been putting on I came up with the following simple handouts to provide the players. Since we're just doing the Basic Rules I wanted to keep it simple yet provide each player with a copy of the important diagrams from the rule book, so they can follow along a bit easier as I explain the basics of the ship mats and maneuver cards. I printed these out in Landscape Mode on my printer so they fill the page and are easy to read. So each player's handout has pages 6 - 9 & 18 - 20 which are all the basic diagrams from the rule book. I also have at hand a copy of pages 11 -14, which has all the diagrams that show how to use the maneuver cards in case a player needs some one on one explanation.

Big Al
02-20-2014, 10:17
Hi

I'm new to the game and the forum. Please can someone tell me why I can't download these files? Everytime I try I get the message "Error: File not found.

Thanks

Al

7eat51
02-20-2014, 10:39
Welcome Al. Stop by the Welcome Aboard forum and introduce yourself. Folks will be glad to meet you - http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay.php?5-Welcome-Aboard

The problem you're having is probably do to the site being down for awhile, and a lot of files were messed up. I will reload these sometime soon, and will make additions to them as well.

Big Al
02-20-2014, 11:17
Thanks for that. I will introduce myself a little later. I am about to go out for my first attempt at this game at my club tonight.
Sorry but I must dash.

Thanks

Al

Пилот
02-20-2014, 11:25
Basically, 2014 files should be OK.

Nightbomber
02-20-2014, 15:24
Bah! I would like to download them, but what I see is only: ERROR: File not found.
Eric, please help...or send them to nightbomber.as@gmail.com if you please:)

John Paul
02-21-2014, 00:59
The pages I made mention of above I just printed out from the Rule Book posted on the "Ares" web site, as it is readily available for anyone to download at least for now. The feedback from the players I've had so far found the few pages extremely helpful till they all got a couple of games under their belts!!:happy: