PDA

View Full Version : YOUR FUTURE RELEASE PICKS

Gunner
10-28-2013, 12:13
I don't know if Ares future releases are written in stone but,
which four Napoleonic era ships would be your pick for a future release?
I'll start with,

1. French 1st rate.
2. Spanish 1st rate
3. Spanish 3rd rate
4. Lightly armed merchantman.

Nightmoss
10-28-2013, 17:16
1. Spanish 1st rate.
2. Spanish 3rd rate.
3. Any armed merchantman.
4. US frigates (5th rate?).

Coog
10-28-2013, 17:22
1. US 38
2. British 38
3. US Ship-sloop (Wasp, Hornet)
4. British Brig-sloop (Cruzier class)

7eat51
10-28-2013, 20:27
I am with Bobby - some smaller ships would be nice, especially given my desire for War of 1812 scenarios.

Coog
10-28-2013, 21:05
With the four I have listed, you could probably put together an opening war scenario, substituting existing models with custom cards for historic ships.

64-gun Africa - British 74 with custom card
36-gun British frigate - 38-gun British frigate with custom card
16-gun US brigs Argus and Syren - British Cruizer class brig with custom card and reflagged

Models would be a little off scale but close enough for game purposes

RichardPF
10-28-2013, 21:45
I am with Bobby - some smaller ships would be nice, especially given my desire for War of 1812 scenarios.

With the four I have listed, you could probably put together an opening war scenario, substituting existing models with custom cards for historic ships.

64-gun Africa - British 74 with custom card
36-gun British frigate - 38-gun British frigate with custom card
16-gun US brigs Argus and Syren - British Cruizer class brig with custom card and reflagged

Models would be a little off scale but close enough for game purposes

I have wondered about the smaller ships and how they might work in the game.
The Barbary pirate ships in particular are rather on the small side.

If the same 1:1000 scale and base sizes are used, the ships might look lost on the base.
If they are scaled up, they might look out of proportion to the other game elements.
If the bases are smaller, they would require custom bases that would increase costs a bit and may impact game mechanics.

I don't know if there is an optimal answer to this question, but I think it might be worth "tossing around" a bit.

7eat51
10-28-2013, 21:55
I have wondered about the smaller ships and how they might work in the game.
The Barbary pirate ships in particular are rather on the small side.

If the same 1:1000 scale and base sizes are used, the ships might look lost on the base.
If they are scaled up, they might look out of proportion to the other game elements.
If the bases are smaller, they would require custom bases that would increase costs a bit and may impact game mechanics.

I don't know if there is an optimal answer to this question, but I think it might be worth "tossing around" a bit.

Would it be feasible to have an inside border printed on the cards to represent a smaller base?

For some of the really small ships, I wonder how having more than one on a base would work.

Nightmoss
10-28-2013, 22:48
If they go with smaller ships they'd best reduce the price significantly, or I wont be buying any. Same thing if they change the scale.

Gunner
10-28-2013, 22:48
I hope Ares is listening, the list of SGN ships could be endless.
I'm for keeping the bases the same, lest we over complicate the game. But Eric's idea about the inside border cards sounds like a great idea.

RichardPF
10-28-2013, 23:47
Would it be feasible to have an inside border printed on the cards to represent a smaller base?

For some of the really small ships, I wonder how having more than one on a base would work.

If they go with smaller ships they'd best reduce the price significantly, or I wont be buying any. Same thing if they change the scale.

I hope Ares is listening, the list of SGN ships could be endless.
I'm for keeping the bases the same, lest we over complicate the game. But Eric's idea about the inside border cards sounds like a great idea.

I wonder if there is a way for Ares to leverage the emerging on demand 3D printing world here in a way that would satisfy demand for new ships, maintain control of the franchise, and still make a bit of money from their intellectual property.

David Manley
10-29-2013, 00:09
I wonder if there is a way for Ares to leverage the emerging on demand 3D printing world here in a way that would satisfy demand for new ships, maintain control of the franchise, and still make a bit of money from their intellectual property.

Judging by how they've done with WGF/WGS I'd say probably not, unless they started selling components to satisfy those using non- Ares models to fill out their ORBATs. Today I can go to Shapeways, order up some aircraft, then over to the Aerodrome, order some of Keith's bases and download the necessary manoeuvre decks. I could go to Shapeways and order up some pegs but Ares are way, way better than anything that is likely to be coming from Shapeways or other 3D sources if there are any sensibly commercial ones yet. So Ares will make a few pennies from selling me the pegs. I would be more than happy to buy manoeuvre decks and generic bases from them if they did them, but they don't yet. I would expect the same to be the case for SGN - models available from elsewhere, bases easy to make yourself, manoeuvre decks will inevitably become available for download and printing somewhere if not here. The best Ares could do if they did want to catch some money from those using non-official models would again be to sell components.

David Manley
10-29-2013, 00:13
Having been involved in some discussions with Ares on colour schemes for some of the future releases (sorry, nothing on merchies yet) I think a few of you will be quite pleased with whats coming down the road :happy:

Coog
10-29-2013, 00:19
Having been involved in some discussions with Ares on colour schemes for some of the future releases (sorry, nothing on merchies yet) I think a few of you will be quite pleased with whats coming down the road :happy:

The problem is...how "long" is that road.

Gunner
10-29-2013, 00:23

Or is it a yellow brick one?:happy:

Gunner
10-29-2013, 00:26

I do envy you on your future release knowledge.

David Manley
10-29-2013, 00:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6AuKENgmLQ

The Royal Hajj
10-29-2013, 08:15
I think merchant ships will do for this game what two-seaters did for Wings. For me, they can't get those out fast enough.

DeRuyter
10-29-2013, 08:53
For me I'd like to see;

Frigates: 38s and 40s
SoL: 1st rates, 80s

I'd love to see the smaller ships for 1812, but as was noted there are scale issues with the sloops and other unrated fore and aft rigged vessels. I think Ares would fill out the classes of the larger ships first anyway.

Eric

Devsdoc
10-29-2013, 15:58
Judging by how they've done with WGF/WGS I'd say probably not, unless they started selling components to satisfy those using non- Ares models to fill out their ORBATs. Today I can go to Shapeways, order up some aircraft, then over to the Aerodrome, order some of Keith's bases and download the necessary manoeuvre decks. I could go to Shapeways and order up some pegs but Ares are way, way better than anything that is likely to be coming from Shapeways or other 3D sources if there are any sensibly commercial ones yet. So Ares will make a few pennies from selling me the pegs. I would be more than happy to buy manoeuvre decks and generic bases from them if they did them, but they don't yet. I would expect the same to be the case for SGN - models available from elsewhere, bases easy to make yourself, manoeuvre decks will inevitably become available for download and printing somewhere if not here. The best Ares could do if they did want to catch some money from those using non-official models would again be to sell components.

Hi David,
I'm With you on this one, But as you have said a number of times Ares will not see this as a opening to make money, so will lose out in the end.
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
10-29-2013, 16:51

If wave 2 has a sloop of war or a schooner, out comes the filling putty (to fill in some gun ports), the sandpaper and paint.
Presto, my first 1/1000 merchantman.

Lead mountain
10-29-2013, 17:01
I would like to see:-

Spanish 1st & 3rd rate
French 1st rate
Spanish frigate
And of course Santísima Trinidad

Diamondback
10-29-2013, 19:12
Being privy to the same preliminary paint renders as David, all I can say is I'm really excited about Wave 2. :D

Andy Blozinski
10-29-2013, 20:41
Or is it a yellow brick one?:happy:
The Canadian version is "Follow the yellow snow trail."

RichardPF
10-29-2013, 21:10
The Canadian version is "Follow the yellow snow trail."

http://youtu.be/Udijxk21mzQ

Dreamed I was an Eskimo,
frozen wind began to blow.

Coog
10-29-2013, 21:14
Dreamed I was an Eskimo
Frozen wind began to blow
Under my boots and around my toes
The frost that bit the ground below
It was a hundred degrees below zero...

And my mama cried
And my mama cried
Nanook, a-no-no
Nanook, a-no-no
Don't be a naughty Eskimo
Save your money, don't go to the show

Well I turned around and I said "Oh, oh" Oh
Well I turned around and I said "Oh, oh" Oh
Well I turned around and I said "Ho, Ho"
And the northern lights commenced to glow
And she said, with a tear in her eye
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow"
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow"

RichardPF
10-29-2013, 21:23
Great Googly Moogly!

7eat51
10-29-2013, 21:57

I look forward to this one as well. I hope the potential mini does it justice.

RichardPF
10-29-2013, 22:49

I look forward to this one as well. I hope the potential mini does it justice.

I would bet that this is the third model (after HMS Victory and USS Constitution) that will have "Legs" in the market outside of the game.

Comte de Brueys
10-29-2013, 23:57
French first rate 118 guns (Dauphin Royal Class or Ocean class)
French second rate 80 guns (Bucentaure class)
Spanish 3rd rate
Spanisch 1st rate
Merchant ships