PDA

View Full Version : Photo Etched Brass Ratlines

Pages : [1] 2

The Royal Hajj
10-09-2013, 18:21
Okay, this topic pops up in quite a few threads and I know lots of us are thinking about them.

What do we really need to outfit the Wave 1 ships? Does each ship need a total of 12 ratlines, one on each side at both levels of all there masts?

The vertical lines appear to be secured very tightly, so those would be straight lines angled in at the top to where they all connect in one spot. But what about the horizontal lines, are they tight as well, or should they have some sag modeled in them?

Finally, what price range would you honestly spend to add ratlines to your ship?

Pseudotheist
10-09-2013, 19:09
Finally, what price range would you honestly spend to add ratlines to your ship?
I know I've spent near $10 on sets of decals that I intended to use on one plane, so I could justify spending at least that for a properly sized and fitted set of ratlines (assuming I convince myself to try rigging one). But I think I'd be happier buying enough for 3-4 ships for $15-20. At $10 per ship I do start to think about the costs of multiple conversions...

Nightmoss
10-09-2013, 19:44
I'd probably want to follow Langton's brass ratline formatting as much as possible, so 12 ratlines for each ship, whether or not they're frigates or larger. Langton prices are pretty reasonable at under $5.00 a set.

As to how they'd all fit on the SoG ships I'll leave to others to discuss. I do know that of the five metal ships I've built I've had to trim back almost all of the brass ratlines to get them to fit properly, so they might work OK for the larger 1/1000 SoG ships (someone has mentioned we might have to swap down; so 3 decker ratlines would work on a frigate, etc.)?

It would be great if Ares or the Anchorage store would make a 'set' of ratlines for the starter sets, either in brass or conceivably in semi flexible plastic? Saying that makes me think of 3D printing or custom plastic casting?

It will be interesting to see what others have to say. I'm sure a lot of people aren't going to want to spend the time or money to do that for these ships.

The Royal Hajj
10-09-2013, 20:23
Thanks for the feedback Todd and Jim. I'm looking into having brass ratlines made up for the SGN ships so that they fit properly. No clue yet on prices, but I'm thinking they will be more expensive the the Langton ones just due to less people wanting them. There are going to be fewer SGN players then there are all other AoS games, and the players of SGN are going be much less likely to deck out their ships. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes.

7eat51
10-10-2013, 07:07
I think cost will be a driver here. It seems to me that if you're going to enhance ships, you will probably want to enhance most, if not all, of them. I imagine one might want to enhance only certain ships, e.g. Constitution, Victory, flagships, but I don't know how that would affect the visuals of the game - some with ratlines, others without. If the ratlines were close to $10 per ship, the price tag for Captain or Commodore KS levels would add up pretty quickly. If the price for ratlines approaches a decent percentage of the price for a mini, I would probably go with another mini.

Keith, this is where your paintbrush-rigging idea really shines. For a couple of dollars and a few hours, folks can significantly improve the look of their entire fleet, and if the rigging gets damaged during game play, the fix is easy and inexpensive. That was a brilliant thread, pun definitely intended.

The Royal Hajj
10-10-2013, 08:02
Yes, price is going to be the major factor here. My current line of thought is that if it is more than $5 a ship, it will not sell well enough to warrant producing them.

The Royal Hajj
10-31-2013, 08:21
Pushing forward with this project, does the placement shown in the image below look correct to you salty dogs?

GrouperKicker
10-31-2013, 08:46
So... at first glance I was trying to figure out why you were using green and red plastic for ratlines. And then at second glance I'm thinking that it may be time for some new glasses!

The Royal Hajj
10-31-2013, 09:03
lol, yeah, that is just a quick MS Paint knock up of what I believe the ratlines should connect. I still have to figure out the exact angles and number of lines needed though. Any help in that department would be greatly appreciated.

The Mad Hatter
10-31-2013, 11:15
My two cents, but I may be a little more critical than most. The lines should really connect to the mast below the top, not to the side of the top. The one going from the top to the next top should start on the edge of the top as you've shown in green, then go to the mast below the uppermost top.

Not only would the design be more historically correct, it would allow for some "messyness" in attaching it and you wouldn't be trying to glue the bottom set to the platform side, then glueing the top set on top of the bottom set on the side of the platform. Hopefully that makes sense!

So it would provide a more historic look, and look cleaner as well (less glue, or if you do make a mess, some parts are hidden below the fighting tops).

Now, question is - can you get the correct angle from the bottom attachment boards to the mast without hitting the side of the ship?

As far as price, I'd probably pay up to about $10 a ship to get my ships to look good. Personally, I'd rather have 10 nice looking ships all rigged up over 20 ships. That's just one man's thoughts though.

The Mad Hatter
10-31-2013, 11:17
Oh, Hajj - I'd be willing to help with this project if you'd like! I'm all for putting the time in up front to get this done well so the entire community can benefit from the time and effort I spend doing it. Without having my ships in hand till December, not sure if you're looking to do something prior to that?

The Royal Hajj
10-31-2013, 12:08
Thanks Ryan. I'm very much a landsman in this area, so any help is appreciated. I'll break your reply down by parts to make this easier...

My two cents, but I may be a little more critical than most. The lines should really connect to the mast below the top, not to the side of the top. The one going from the top to the next top should start on the edge of the top as you've shown in green, then go to the mast below the uppermost top.

Not only would the design be more historically correct, it would allow for some "messyness" in attaching it and you wouldn't be trying to glue the bottom set to the platform side, then glueing the top set on top of the bottom set on the side of the platform. Hopefully that makes sense!

My thoughts were that it would be easier for the majority of player, since they are not modelers, to glue the top of the ratlines to the nice flat side of the top and the bottom of the next ratline to the top of the top. Would this be too much of a sacrifice in realism? The other issue here is that not all of the mast will be glued to the ship in the exact same way from ship to ship. Going to the side of the top would allow for a little more play in the fitment I think.

Now, question is - can you get the correct angle from the bottom attachment boards to the mast without hitting the side of the ship?

I still have to work this part out, but I think so from my initial tests... but that was going from the boards to the side of the tops (which cuts the angle down quite a bit). One major concern I have is that a few of the minis have cannon barrels sticking out over the boards. These are going to get in the way I know. Not sure how to really deal with that yet.

As far as price, I'd probably pay up to about $10 a ship to get my ships to look good. Personally, I'd rather have 10 nice looking ships all rigged up over 20 ships. That's just one man's thoughts though.

I'm really hoping that they would not be that expensive. The ideal target price for me would be $4.99 to rat out a single ship.

David Manley
10-31-2013, 13:25
My thoughts were that it would be easier for the majority of player, since they are not modelers, to glue the top of the ratlines to the nice flat side of the top and the bottom of the next ratline to the top of the top. Would this be too much of a sacrifice in realism?

The ideal target price for me would be $4.99 to rat out a single ship.

My £0.02 - I've seen models where the ratlines go to the sides of the fighting tops rather than the mast and they looked horrible, so my vote would be to go for the more accurate approach since it is also the most attractive approach by far.

Price point is good. It may also be worth seeing whether you could accommodate fittings for more than one ship in a $4.99 sheet.

The Royal Hajj
10-31-2013, 15:30
Thanks David, that's the kind of feedback I need. While I'd like to offer more than a single ship for $4.99, I don't think it is going to be possible (and is just an estimated price at this point). The Langton ratlines are $3 a ship and they have the luxury of a much larger market to help bring the price down.

The Mad Hatter
10-31-2013, 16:16
I agree with David, if we really want to go down this route, should do it accurately if possible. Your point on masts not being exact on ship to ship, I this is even a bigger challenge for doing it to the sides of the tops. If one mast is angled more than say another, the lines sit square on the bottom, but not on the side of the top. Attaching to the mast somewhat alleviates this challenge. Since the top set of lines is wholly attached to the mast, going from outside of top to either attachement point isn't as much of a problem.

My other advice is make the spacing between rungs smaller than what Langton does. I always thought it looked somewhat funny looking being that out of scale, but I try and go for a more accurate look as you can tell my many of my posts.

The Royal Hajj
11-04-2013, 16:26
Should my green lines in the image above be going from the lowest top to the next top as shown, or should they be going all the way up to upper most yard?

David Manley
11-04-2013, 16:30
This piccie should help

The Mad Hatter
11-04-2013, 18:39
Have to look at some closer diagrams, but I believe it's outside of tops to mast below the next top.

The Royal Hajj
11-05-2013, 02:00
Okay, that is what I was thinking and this old diagram of mine is showing...

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4460&d=1366991197

But it shows lower shrouds, topmast shrouds and topgallant shrouds. This diagram also shows three sets of three per side...

Earlier in the thread we had discussed three sets of two as what we needed. Do we need the third set up top? On the SOLs, the Mizzen Mast shroud is only going to be 3mm wide and 8mm tall. Not to mention it will have very few "lines". So is it going to be worth the extra trouble and expense?

David Manley
11-05-2013, 02:17
I'd say not. For those ships where I've fitted them I've only used the lower 2 sets. given the scale of the models I felt it was overkill to fith higher ones and risked giving the model an excessively top heavy and cluttered look.

The Royal Hajj
11-05-2013, 03:46
Thanks David, that was my personal opinion as well... but want to check with the experts.

DeRuyter
11-05-2013, 11:52
Okay, that is what I was thinking and this old diagram of mine is showing...

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4460&d=1366991197

But it shows lower shrouds, topmast shrouds and topgallant shrouds. This diagram also shows three sets of three per side...

Earlier in the thread we had discussed three sets of two as what we needed. Do we need the third set up top? On the SOLs, the Mizzen Mast shroud is only going to be 3mm wide and 8mm tall. Not to mention it will have very few "lines". So is it going to be worth the extra trouble and expense?

Here is my .02c on this issue. I am with David and Mad Hatter on the accuracy of the placement, ie; placing the top of the ratlines/shrouds inboard of the tops. Also on my 1/1200 models I never bothered with the t'gallant shrouds either. You can still model the backstays with line or your paint brush method and those lines can cover for the missing shrouds.

I don't think that placing them on the outside of the tops would look right from a sailors perspective, especially having climbed real ones!! In a larger scale you could model the futtock shrouds which attach to the side of the tops but at the opposite angle. (you can faintly see them in the diagram above).

As for the bottom of the shrouds, they should attach to the top of the channel on the side of the ship as pictured in your sample. Technically you have a pair of deadeyes which the lower end of each shroud is run though to form a lanyard for tightening. The bottom deadeye is attached to the top of the channel on the outboard end. I have seen Langtons with the deadeyes painted on. Normally you would have chain plates under the channel which you can see in the diagrams, but at our scale they are not modeled. This should not interfere with cannon barrels on the model, except possibly for quarterdeck guns.

I would be interested in buying these if you do them.

Eric

The Mad Hatter
11-05-2013, 18:38
Yep, checked my books - things look correct in your drawing as well. I also agree, no need for the topmost set, the bottom two would suffice.

Pseudotheist
11-05-2013, 18:45
I can see the argument that they may be small enough to not be missed, but I'd just like to put forth the argument for consideration: are they small enough that they're not worth omitting? They look to be about maybe 10% of the area of the main ratlines? I'd think that they might be small enough to fit in the otherwise dead spaces of the sprue, with a marginal addition ot materials cost, then leave it to the customer to decide whether they're worth fiddling with.

The Royal Hajj
11-06-2013, 04:25
Was home sick today, so had some time to work on the proof of concept for these...

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8209&d=1389478330

The flags on both British ships get in the way of the lower aft shrouds. Not sure what to do about that other than suggest replacing the flag or repositioning it to allow the shroud to fit? I think this will vary from ship to ship quite a bit, so it could effect some French minis as well. Do you guys think this is a cause for concern?

The P/E company is going to work up the fret designs for me now. Each ship class will have it's own fret with 12 shrouds on it. This will allow everyone to order the exact number of each type they need. This project is moving along rather well at this point.

The Royal Hajj
11-06-2013, 04:30
I can see the argument that they may be small enough to not be missed, but I'd just like to put forth the argument for consideration: are they small enough that they're not worth omitting? They look to be about maybe 10% of the area of the main ratlines? I'd think that they might be small enough to fit in the otherwise dead spaces of the sprue, with a marginal addition ot materials cost, then leave it to the customer to decide whether they're worth fiddling with.

On the frigates, the after top most shroud would only be 2mm wide by about 7mm tall... that's about 30% smaller then the one below it (printed green in the image I just posted). The aft middle was so fiddly, I'm not even going to bother with the very top one. While it's true they don't use much material, the do add to the setup costs as they have to be drawn out. I just don't see more then maybe 1% of the customer actually using them, so not really worth it.

DeRuyter
11-06-2013, 10:37

Looking at the pictures of the models that Keith posted I think that if you rig backstays to the mast tops that dead space will be covered.

I would not have a problem with the shrouds covering the flags. I'll probably try to move the flags anyway.

Eric

The Royal Hajj
11-06-2013, 12:25
I would not have a problem with the shrouds covering the flags. I'll probably try to move the flags anyway.

Eric

The problem is not that the shrouds cover the flags, but that the flags interfere with the shrouds reaching the masts. It's hard to see in that photo, but the aft lower shroud on both the British ships is unable to connect to the mast because the flag is in the way.

Coog
11-06-2013, 12:35
Was home sick today, so had some time to work on the proof of concept for these...

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7477&d=1383699165

The flags on both British ships get in the way of the lower aft shrouds. Not sure what to do about that other than suggest replacing the flag or repositioning it to allow the shroud to fit? I think this will vary from ship to ship quite a bit, so it could effect some French minis as well. Do you guys think this is a cause for concern?

The P/E company is going to work up the fret designs for me now. Each ship class will have it's own fret with 12 shrouds on it. This will allow everyone to order the exact number of each type they need. This project is moving along rather well at this point.

If I am going to the trouble of putting rigging on a ship, the flag on a staff would have to go anyway as it is not the way the flag was displayed. It should be on a line.

DeRuyter
11-06-2013, 14:38
If I am going to the trouble of putting rigging on a ship, the flag on a staff would have to go anyway as it is not the way the flag was displayed. It should be on a line.

That's what I would do with it. As was noted in another thread, the flag would be on a halyard on the mizzen gaff. Of course I may start playing and forget about rigging them!! :steer:

Eric

The Royal Hajj
11-07-2013, 09:56
The ratlines drawn out to match my colored test shapes:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8210&d=1389478331

And what the four different frets would look like:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8206&d=1389478211

Price looks like it is going to be $3.75 per ship, much better than I was hoping for to be honest! Now it looks like my biggest question is how many to order initially since there is a decent amount of lead time need to produce these.

DeRuyter
11-07-2013, 11:16
They look good and so does the price!

I'd buy at least 10 sets to start with. :happy:

Is this a good question for a Poll?

Eric

RichardPF
11-07-2013, 12:14
The ratlines drawn out to match my colored test shapes:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7484&d=1383842826

And what the four different frets would look like:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7483&d=1383842826

Price looks like it is going to be $3.75 per ship, much better than I was hoping for to be honest! Now it looks like my biggest question is how many to order initially since there is a decent amount of lead time need to produce these.

Put me down for 4 sets of each one of the 4 for sure,
but if you need to make a minimum quantity for the initial order, let's talk.

7eat51
11-07-2013, 12:43
Four sets of each to start. For conventions, these will enhance the look of the ships quite nicely.

GrouperKicker
11-07-2013, 13:54
I'm in for one of each of the four.

Moideeb
11-07-2013, 14:48
Assuming your prepared to ship to England, then you can put me down for an order of shrouds to fill the captains pledge. Remember: England expects :salute:

Pseudotheist
11-07-2013, 14:51

Is this a good question for a Poll?

Just put them up for pre-order for the rest of the month. Then manufacture 3-5 times the pre-order ammount.

I'd be in for a set.

csadn
11-07-2013, 15:42
I'd need to remember how many and what types of mini I'm getting before I could say for sure.... :)

That said: Given how clumsy I am, esp. with tiny objects like these, I think the brass is a better option for me than trying to use thread.

Devsdoc
11-07-2013, 16:41
Hi Kieth,
I like your ratlines. They will made the ships stronger and look better. I to think losing the top ratlines is O.K. Would making the top of the ratlines flatter and less pointy to be, better looking and easier to place on the mast? I am not going to buy into them (not buying the ships) but think this is so good.
Be safe
Rory

The Mad Hatter
11-07-2013, 16:51
Wow Keith, these look NICE!

I'll be getting at a minimum, all the ships, probably a few extras of the paint schemes I like. I'll want lines for all of them, so put me down for at least a dozen, likely more.

The Mad Hatter
11-07-2013, 16:53
Oh, I agree on the flag. If I'm going through this much effort (along with rigging), I'm swapping out those flags for more accurate mizzen mounted ones. I wouldn't worry about that aspect, I think most people would fall into this boat.

Berthier
11-08-2013, 04:26
I think most people would fall into this boat.

The French never fall Sir, they trip gracefully.

Berthier
11-08-2013, 04:27
Keith
I would take two sets to start with and see how modelling skills hold up!

Beowulf03809
11-11-2013, 12:25
I really like these as well but TBH I'm going to have to play for a little while first before I start any mod work. I've been waiting SO long!!!! :rum:

After that though I will probably start drydocking and doing mod work like this (and very interested in what else people do to enhance realism, such as moving the flag).

The Royal Hajj
11-11-2013, 14:21
These ratlines will not take a ship out of action really. Spray them black and dip each end in some glue and than stick them on the model. It will take a bit of precision, no great skill or time involved. And since they are just adding to the ship and not really modifying it, you could do one an evening and not effect any games the day of or after.

Gunner
11-11-2013, 15:08
I'll order a set of each. If I like them, I'll order more for the rest of the fleet.

Capn Duff
11-11-2013, 16:43
I would take some of these also.
A couple of starter sets worth at least. But do they have to be brass? would a soft plastic not be as good?
Before emptying a few broadsides at me chaps, I am a novice with naval games, the last I owned was WW1, so I am just asking is all :)

The Royal Hajj
11-11-2013, 16:49
They will actually be made of stainless steel. Much stronger then brass. Making them out of plastic would require injection molding them and the thousands of dollars is start up costs associated with that process.

Capn Duff
11-11-2013, 16:53
Fair one, Ill go back to the galley

Coog
11-11-2013, 16:55
I will be getting some. After seeing and playing with the ships at Millenniumcon, I was very pleased with the ships. The plastic between the sails and the mast were barely noticeable. With the ratlines you will have to look hard to notice it.

GrouperKicker
11-13-2013, 08:25
Out of curiosity, how long did it take to have the initial layout defined with the manufacturer? How long from that point until you get a 'proof' version of the product in hand?

The Royal Hajj
11-13-2013, 09:02
The turn around time for the layout was pretty quick. I measured out the dimensions and created the shapes in Adobe Illustrator and then printed them off on paper. The confirmed that my size and shape were correct. I sent that file to the company and they were able to get the two images I posted last to me the next day. They already do ratlines for other ships (different scale), so were able to just adjust those for the scale and shape of our ships.

Since are scale is much smaller, they suggested doing them out of stainless steel as it is stronger and would allow us to have more realistic sized lines. Since they normally produce with brass, they have to order in the SS and setup to do the proof for me. They mentioned about a month to get that done and about the same to do a production run.

So, I expect to that the proof in hand some time in Dec and hope to have them stocked on the AA site around the end of Jan. That should give everyone time to play with their new toys before putting some of them into drydock.

DeRuyter
11-13-2013, 11:20
The turn around time for the layout was pretty quick. I measured out the dimensions and created the shapes in Adobe Illustrator and then printed them off on paper. The confirmed that my size and shape were correct. I sent that file to the company and they were able to get the two images I posted last to me the next day. They already do ratlines for other ships (different scale), so were able to just adjust those for the scale and shape of our ships.

Since are scale is much smaller, they suggested doing them out of stainless steel as it is stronger and would allow us to have more realistic sized lines. Since they normally produce with brass, they have to order in the SS and setup to do the proof for me. They mentioned about a month to get that done and about the same to do a production run.

So, I expect to that the proof in hand some time in Dec and hope to have them stocked on the AA site around the end of Jan. That should give everyone time to play with their new toys before putting some of them into drydock.

Excellent! Thanks Keith!

:clap:

GrouperKicker
11-13-2013, 12:25

Thanks! This is exactly the info that I was looking for... a little insight into HOW these great little goodies get into our hands! I'm really impressed with the lineup of items that you are releasing in support of SoG!

The Royal Hajj
11-13-2013, 13:29
I'm really impressed with the lineup of items that you are releasing in support of SoG!

Just wait until I have final production stuff in my hands and have had time to "toy" with them ;)

Beowulf03809
11-14-2013, 10:07
Great details as always! Thanks!!! :rum:

Pirate Queen
11-18-2013, 22:33
I'll have to buy at least a dozen... better set aside $100.

RichardPF
11-19-2013, 10:03

Were you going to post these on the AA site for preorders once the server changeover is finished?

The Royal Hajj
11-19-2013, 10:20
Were you going to post these on the AA site for preorders once the server changeover is finished?

I want to have the sample version in hand before putting them up for pre-order.

Gunner
11-21-2013, 19:09
They will actually be made of stainless steel. Much stronger then brass. Making them out of plastic would require injection molding them and the thousands of dollars is start up costs associated with that process.

When do you think the ratlines will be ready for sale? ( educated guess )

The Royal Hajj
11-24-2013, 08:07
I can't really give a good guess at this point. Jan maybe?

nilliom
11-24-2013, 11:12
Would these fit on all ships, or only the starter box set?

The Royal Hajj
11-25-2013, 06:51
The Starter Box ships and the Ship Packs in Wave 1 (everything coming out in the next several weeks) area all the same four sculpts. I'm making a set of ratlines for each of those for sculpts. When Wave 2 comes out later in 2014, I'll be making sets for those ships as well... provided sales are good enough to justify it. Does that help?

7eat51
11-25-2013, 08:46
I hope with the price point you're considering, Keith, that sales are highly successful. It seems to be an inexpensive way to greatly enhance the ships. Thank you for your effort on this. :thumbsup:

nilliom
11-26-2013, 13:21
The Starter Box ships and the Ship Packs in Wave 1 (everything coming out in the next several weeks) area all the same four sculpts. I'm making a set of ratlines for each of those for sculpts. When Wave 2 comes out later in 2014, I'll be making sets for those ships as well... provided sales are good enough to justify it. Does that help?

Yes, thanks

Capn Duff
11-27-2013, 05:37
Well I got a Capn pack coming plus a couple of extra ships, so I expect to put in an order in the new year, plus after some smoke markers

Diamondback
11-27-2013, 13:35
Uh, Boss, I'm interested in enough to upgrade my entire fleet... the problem is, the orders are going to have to trickle out, probably one sculpt's worth or one block of "one of each sculpt" at a time. Ditto extra Smoke Clouds.

WGF, WGS, new laptop, ammunition to maintain proficiency... between all that and an expected reduction of billable hours to pay for it all with, 2014 is going to Bring the Pain and Bring it Hard. :(

Pirate Queen
11-27-2013, 19:29
Suggestion - sell a "Lieutenant's pack" and a "Captain's pack" with all ratlines needed for... every ship in a Lt or Cpt pack. Plus individuals of course.
Then there's the Victory and Constitution.

7eat51
11-27-2013, 20:50
Suggestion - sell a "Lieutenant's pack" and a "Captain's pack" with all ratlines needed for...

That is an excellent idea. It would make it quite easy to order. :thumbsup:

Gunner
11-29-2013, 06:33
Suggestion - sell a "Lieutenant's pack" and a "Captain's pack" with all ratlines needed for... every ship in a Lt or Cpt pack. Plus individuals of course.

Good thinking, I'll take a Captains pack. (for starters):beer:

SeaRoyal20
12-11-2013, 15:06
I would want to buy a bunch of these as well!

Shoot@Me
12-20-2013, 15:57
Can't see since the pictures were lost, but the idea sounds great! Just a marine pledge level and buying the starter pack from my local game shop, but I would consider getting a set for all eight ships...

GrouperKicker
01-10-2014, 15:49
Keith:
Any chance that you could repost the picture of the sample ratlines?

Pseudotheist
01-10-2014, 19:02
I'm sure packs would be popular, but I think "Mate" (1 of each) and "Captain" levels would be the more appropriate bundles.

Capn Duff
01-11-2014, 10:52
So is this a go ?

The Royal Hajj
01-11-2014, 15:19
I've replaced the images in the earlier posts as best I could (I don't have some of them), luckily the important ones I was able to restore. I also got some photos of the test pieces that they ran and are sending me.

This is a stainless steel fret:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8207&d=1389478229

We are also testing in brass as well:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8208&d=1389478230

I hope to have these test ratlines here in the next week or so. As long as the fitment is good, I'll give the go ahead for production runs to start. We are getting closer!

The Mad Hatter
01-11-2014, 16:30
Any idea how many are going to be in the first production run? I recall you said lead times weren't short on these, so curious how many I should be planning to order from the get go?

GrouperKicker
01-11-2014, 20:31
Thanks Keith!

Andy Blozinski
01-11-2014, 21:48
I've replaced the images in the earlier posts as best I could (I don't have some of them), luckily the important ones I was able to restore. I also got some photos of the test pieces that they ran and are sending me.

This is a stainless steel fret:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8207&d=1389478229

So like is the white section of what we see in the photo a holder for the ratlines?

We are also testing in brass as well:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8208&d=1389478230

I hope to have these test ratlines here in the next week or so. As long as the fitment is good, I'll give the go ahead for production runs to start. We are getting closer!

The Royal Hajj
01-11-2014, 22:10
The grey and gold you see in those photos are the actual metal ratlines. The white is the background they were shot on.

I don't know yet on production numbers. I don't foresee a need to "Stock" up on them though.

Pirate Queen
01-13-2014, 21:15
May I pre-order enough for 2 Captain's packs and a Lieutenant pack? Possibly to be included with my pending order of WGF?

The Royal Hajj
01-14-2014, 04:52
Hi Zoe, I'm not quite ready to put them on pre-order yet.

AlyssaFaden
01-16-2014, 09:27
I'd easily drop $10 per ship for these. The time saved at my end to have properly sized ratlines that I could quickly paint/drop into place would be worth every dime. I bought into the Captain level and I'll be doubling my fleets within the next month. You can consider me a customer right from the get go for every ship I have =D

The Royal Hajj
01-16-2014, 09:45
Thanks Alyssa. I should have the test ratlines by the end of the month for everyone to see, well, second hand!

Gunner
01-16-2014, 10:35
I'd easily drop $10 per ship for these. The time saved at my end to have properly sized ratlines that I could quickly paint/drop into place would be worth every dime. I bought into the Captain level and I'll be doubling my fleets within the next month. You can consider me a customer right from the get go for every ship I have =D

$10 per ship would be too steep for me.

The Royal Hajj
01-16-2014, 13:02
$10 per ship would be too steep for me.

Luckily it looks like we will almost be able to do three ships for that price!

Gunner
01-16-2014, 13:44
Luckily it looks like we will almost be able to do three ships for that price!

Great. I'll place orders as soon as you're ready.

BH62
01-17-2014, 05:44
Hi,
I am new on this site. i'll be interested to place order. Have you a term ?
BH62

The Royal Hajj
01-17-2014, 06:15
Hi,
BH62

Nothing is set in stone yet until I have the prototypes in hand and test out. As soon as that is done, they will be put up on the AA site as pre-orders.

Gunner
01-17-2014, 08:18
Hi,
BH62

Welcome to the Anchorage Castay.:beer: We are in need of French sailors.

horrido
01-17-2014, 08:34
The stainless looks fantastic - more to scale than the brass. I'm in for a complete set for all wave 1 if the price stays at $3.75 per ship. Great job.

GrouperKicker
01-17-2014, 08:36
Nothing is set in stone yet until I have the prototypes in hand and test out. As soon as that is done, they will be put up on the AA site as pre-orders.

Keith: Has the initial response/interest in the ratlines been what you had expected? Seems like a fair number of folks are looking forward to them.

Gunner
01-17-2014, 10:16
What takes paint better, brass or stainless? I would think, brass.

The Royal Hajj
01-17-2014, 10:32
Keith: Has the initial response/interest in the ratlines been what you had expected? Seems like a fair number of folks are looking forward to them.

Yes, this is about what I expected. We've got 17 "when can I buy them" people in this thread with a couple more looking really hard at them. While that is pretty small cross section of the market, it's enough try at least one production run of them. As with anything, the more people start to see them out there on table on on different sites, sells will go up.

The Royal Hajj
01-17-2014, 10:34

I'll pull up my notes from the manufacture on that and post back. One does not need to be primed and the other does (I think). One could also be "painted" with a sharpie type marker for the thinnest finish.

horrido
01-17-2014, 15:34

I've had no problems painting stainless PE when I use it on plastic display models, although I usually use enamels. On these rat lines, I will probably break the surface with steel wool, and add a couple matte clear coats afterwards. I use an airbrush - probably just paint them before cutting them out. Stainless is much stronger, but must be annealed (with a bic lighter) before you can bend it - no bending required here, of course.

Toothless9
01-17-2014, 21:22
Yes, this is about what I expected. We've got 17 "when can I buy them" people in this thread with a couple more looking really hard at them. While that is pretty small cross section of the market, it's enough try at least one production run of them. As with anything, the more people start to see them out there on table on on different sites, sells will go up.
I'm in for a set for a captains pledge.

Tradewinds Ted
01-24-2014, 16:04
I'd like a set for captain's pledge as well. When do these go on pre-order?
I still don't have my shipment from Ares though - tracking shows it as stuck in customs since the start of the week! :sad:

Пилот
01-25-2014, 09:08
I am interested, too. Will give more realistic look to the ships.

BRIAN DUNBAR
01-25-2014, 10:33
Count me in. I've got one of each ship so I'll take 4 of each.

Elrohir
01-26-2014, 15:18
Definitely count me in for a dozen ships' worth...great work!

Andy Blozinski
01-26-2014, 21:40
For demo game purposes, I want to have ships in various stages of pimping, ranging from factory stock to tricked out with painting enhancements, ratlines and maybe even rigging. I figure it will be a cool way to show the players what they are purchasing and then also show them what fun they can have customizing.

Nightmoss
01-27-2014, 09:34
Keith, with Ares announcement concerning Wave 2 ships will they provide you with production models soon enough so you can start planning the custom ratlines for all these new sculpts? The 1st rates look like they'll be quite large on the bases.

The Royal Hajj
01-27-2014, 09:36
I'm trying to get production samples ahead of time, but they only get one or two of each sculpt. So often times there is not any spares to send my way :(

VonTed
01-29-2014, 05:32
New here...... but I am assuming the ratlines are not yet available?

Nightmoss
01-29-2014, 08:15
New here...... but I am assuming the ratlines are not yet available?

Welcome T. Ratlines not yet available. Maybe March is what Keith has reported recently?

VonTed
01-29-2014, 08:49
What about the pint glasses?!!!!

The Royal Hajj
01-29-2014, 09:35
I can add the pint glasses to the AA site at anytime, but I was looking to see if I could reasonably add some artwork of a ship to the other side like I do the Aerodrome glasses... it's turning out not to be such an easy or quick thing :(

Terry Smith
01-30-2014, 10:25
I am eagerly looking forward to the brass ratlines, but am not clear on how they will be sold. Will they be on the Anchorage Store or will they be special orders through Royal Hajj?

The Royal Hajj
01-30-2014, 10:36
I am the Anchorage Store :wink:

jsalyers
02-05-2014, 10:10
I'm in for enough to do the starter set and depending on how the modelling goes more afterwards.

Thanks for your hard work... Now, please sir. TAKE MY MONEY! :)

J--

The Royal Hajj
02-05-2014, 10:47
Now, please sir. TAKE MY MONEY! :)

I will as soon as I can! LOL

Gunner
02-05-2014, 11:41
Now, please sir. TAKE MY MONEY! :)J--

I'd be happy to hold your money until Keith is ready for it.:sly: Just PM your bank account # and password and I'll take care of all those pesky little details.:sly::moneygone:

The Royal Hajj
02-05-2014, 11:43
Ed, I'm starting to think by some of your recent posts that you should be flying the Jolly Roger as you avatar these days. lol

Gunner
02-05-2014, 11:48
Ed, I'm starting to think by some of your recent posts that you should be flying the Jolly Roger as you avatar these days. lol

:Arrrr:

Coog
02-05-2014, 12:30
I'd be happy to hold your money until Keith is ready for it.:sly: Just PM your bank account # and & password and I'll take care of all those pesky little details.:sly::moneygone:

Or a prince of the Nigerian royal family!:erk:

The Royal Hajj
02-05-2014, 12:49
The only royalty around here is me! lol

<-----

csadn
02-05-2014, 16:54

The only difference between a Pirate and Regular navy is how many layers of bureaucracy are above one. >;)

The only royalty around here is me! lol

And the only difference between a Pirate and a Royal is... ah, who are we kidding, there ain't none, never has been, never will be.

Like the man sang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ7SVMVrick

>;)

FlyXwire
02-06-2014, 09:37
Keeping an eye here, as I'm also interested in these ratline sets.

Bionic Wookie
02-08-2014, 18:45
Just thought I would mention that I have used screen for ratlines on my SOL for years. It holds up pretty well. I also experimented with sand paper - yup - you heard right. There are sheets of sand paper that have square holes in them. Cut and fit, they look alright, but they add a lot of stability to the metal masts!

Misdomingo
02-09-2014, 21:02
Keith, count me in for a KS captain's set worth of your ss ratlines. Thanks!

dotichnus
02-10-2014, 00:30
I'm also interested in several sets.

The Royal Hajj
02-11-2014, 08:56
The prototypes should be mailed out to me in the next day or so.

Gunner
02-11-2014, 10:05
The prototypes should be mailed out to me in the next day or so.

Is there a way these could be ordered and shipped in conjunction with the replacement combat rulers?

The Royal Hajj
02-11-2014, 10:52
Rules you received via the KS will becoming from Ares directly. Any rulers that were ordered off the AA site will be sent by me, and could be added to these orders if you so choose.

prospero96
02-13-2014, 12:20
Ahoi your Lordship Sir,

those Ratlines look like a 'must' where do I sign up to get my hands on those?

The Royal Hajj
02-13-2014, 12:44
Ahoi your Lordship Sir,

those Ratlines look like a 'must' where do I sign up to get my hands on those?

They will be listed on the AA site as pre-orders in the next couple of weeks. Just keep a weather eye on this thread for the announcement.

7eat51
02-13-2014, 12:46
Welcome, Charles.

Stop by the Welcome Aboard forum and introduce yourself. Folks will be glad to meet you - http://sailsofglory.org/forumdisplay.php?5-Welcome-Aboard

As for ratlines, look at the Anchorage Store up top.

mdavis41
02-16-2014, 20:34
The ratlines are an excellent idea and I will try my hand at affixing them properly. However I wish there was an Anchorage list of model builders who would be willing to take commissions in the same ways as you find with 28mm figures for example.

The Royal Hajj
02-19-2014, 20:00
Sneak peak of a rough test fit of the actual brass ratlines...

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9130&d=1392865161

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9131&d=1392865163

And if anyone is counting, that is 34 vertical "rungs" on the lower main mast of one of the 74s (SGN102x).

Gunner
02-19-2014, 20:09
WOW, let me know when I can place an order for a wave 1, KS & starter set.

AlyssaFaden
02-19-2014, 20:18
BRILLIANT. Take my money already!

Berthier
02-19-2014, 22:31
They look excellent Keith and nice to see the climbing lines have a slight sag to them making them look more realistic.

Wartrain
02-20-2014, 00:10
Very nice looking Kieth, I wiil definitely be picking up a few sets

John Paul
02-20-2014, 00:29
Those look very ship shape!! "I have to get me a whole bunch of these"!!!! :thumbsup:

Gunner
02-20-2014, 00:46
Are you still on track for late March?

The Royal Hajj
02-20-2014, 05:06
I'll be test fitting the four ships over the weekend hopefully (the WGF Series 7 planes are schedule to land at my place today, so will have to get those shipped out first). At first glance and initial testing of two of the ratlines on SGN102A, things are looking good. As long as everything checks out on the other ships, I'll be putting these up for pre-order on the site Sunday or Monday night. I'll wait about a week to get a gauge on how many are selling and then place the production order.

The company quoted me about a month to do the production run, but the samples took nearly twice as long to get to me... so I'm not optimistic about a late March street date. I'd say more likely it will be late April.

7eat51
02-20-2014, 06:14
Well done, Keith. :hatsoff:

They look great.

One idea I have is to use them for one version of the ship, with the flip-side not having them. It would make identification on the table easy when using both cards and same paint scheme.

DeRuyter
02-20-2014, 08:29
They look excellent Keith and nice to see the climbing lines have a slight sag to them making them look more realistic.

I agree they look excellent!! I'll be ordering a bunch. BTW - The line that you put your foot on is the "ratline", the vertical lines are the "shrouds". When you climb you use the shrouds for your hands as they are more secure than the ratlines (See first Hornblower episode), also you don't want the guy above to step on your hand!

Eric

Nightmoss
02-20-2014, 08:30
Keith, these look great!! It looks like you tried some brush on black? How do they paint up and hold color? Besides a huge SoG order you can expect from me I'll be testing these on some of the Langton and GHQ minis as well. The detail, regardless of scale, is awesome! :hatsoff:

The Royal Hajj
02-20-2014, 09:39
I agree they look excellent!! I'll be ordering a bunch. BTW - The line that you put your foot on is the "ratline", the vertical lines are the "shrouds". When you climb you use the shrouds for your hands as they are more secure than the ratlines (See first Hornblower episode), also you don't want the guy above to step on your hand!

Eric

Thanks for setting me straight on the terms... I'm really just a landlubber (How did I get in charge of this ship the Anchorage anyways???)

Keith, these look great!! It looks like you tried some brush on black? How do they paint up and hold color? Besides a huge SoG order you can expect from me I'll be testing these on some of the Langton and GHQ minis as well. The detail, regardless of scale, is awesome! :hatsoff:

I used an old permanent marker (Sharpie) on one of the two I test fitted last night. The ink went on okay, but I think if it was a newer or "wetter" marker, it would have worked better. Two coats would help a lot as well. I think you will have to be careful hand brushing these... the opening between the ratlines are super fine and will clog easily if you don't thin your paint enough. I'm just going to be test fitting them in the raw bass from here on out. When I go to actually do up my ships, I'll airbrush them black.

These come with a vacuumed sealed clear sheet on both sides, so they are protected nicely until you are ready to use them. They almost fell like they are laminated.

I was extremely impressed with the fine detail of these. They turned out way better than I imagined could be possible. I'm almost concerned that they will make any rigging lines I add look way over scale.

Gunner
02-20-2014, 10:03
On brass I swish it in warm water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid. The spray it with Rust-Oleum. Then Dull-coat.

When finished it looks like the brass was the brown or black color that I sprayed it with.The paint lays very flat without any high spots.

Nightmoss
02-20-2014, 12:39
I think you will have to be careful hand brushing these... the opening between the ratlines are super fine and will clog easily if you don't thin your paint enough. I'm just going to be test fitting them in the raw bass from here on out. When I go to actually do up my ships, I'll airbrush them black.

When I saw these on the ship that was my first thought (clogging happens on the Langton's for sure). My method would normally be similar to Ed's, but in Winter I have no spray painting capability and even air brushing in the basement can be an issue. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of outdoor work come Spring. So, in that sense the delay on manufacturing is going to work to my advantage. Thanks for the quick reply.

AlyssaFaden
02-20-2014, 13:21
so looking forward to getting my grubby little mitts on these =D

Tradewinds Ted
02-20-2014, 14:12
I think you will have to be careful hand brushing these... the opening between the ratlines are super fine and will clog easily if you don't thin your paint enough. I'm just going to be test fitting them in the raw bass from here on out. When I go to actually do up my ships, I'll airbrush them black.
I've never tried it, but I know products like "blacken-it" are made specifically for blackening brass model parts without obscuring detail.
http://www.micromark.com/blacken-it-4-fl-oz,7267.html

Does anybody have experience with this? and would it be a good choice for these shrouds/ratlines?

Gunner
02-20-2014, 14:51
I've never tried it, but I know products like "blacken-it" are made specifically for blackening brass model parts without obscuring detail.
http://www.micromark.com/blacken-it-4-fl-oz,7267.html

Does anybody have experience with this? and would it be a good choice for these shrouds/ratlines?

I use a product called Birchwood Casey's Brass Black which I think uses the same chemicals as Blacken-it, to identify .45 LC brass after I have enlarged the primer pockets to shoot blanks. The black wears off a little after a few firings (which you won't have to worry about) but does not look as good (to me) as spray paint.
But it's much easier to use, just dip a few times and rinse.

Nightbomber
02-20-2014, 14:54
Looking at post #130 I almost fainted. Those are perfect!

Gunner
02-20-2014, 15:13
They look so good that I feel like I'm waiting for my SGN ships again.
Are they here yet? Are they here yet?

John Paul
02-21-2014, 01:14
I guess I'm definitely down for two sets each for wave one and two ships one way or another!!

Devsdoc
02-21-2014, 14:37
Hi All,
As you all know I'm no fan of the ships, but I must say the rat-lines look so good. Keith, they look so good. Well done, I just love them.
Be safe
Rory

Tradewinds Ted
02-26-2014, 09:49
As long as everything checks out on the other ships, I'll be putting these up for pre-order on the site Sunday or Monday night. I'll wait about a week to get a gauge on how many are selling and then place the production order.

Any update? I haven't seen them available for pre-order yet at the Anchorage store, and was wondering if I just was looking in the wrong place, or there has just been a slight delay. I'm not actually in any hurry, but simply don't want to miss the order window.

BRIAN DUNBAR
02-26-2014, 10:26
I second that. I don't want to miss out on the preorders.

The Royal Hajj
02-26-2014, 10:59
I managed to test them out over the weekend and all is good on that front. I was not able to get any "finished" ships done up to photograph for the site product image. I did take some photos of just the frets yesterday and will put them up on the site soon (hopefully tonight) with just those images. I'd like to add some finished ship photos this week as well, but not sure I'll have the time as I have to get one of my rental properties ready for new tenets to move in on Sat.

csadn
02-26-2014, 16:46
Stupid Question: How are these attached to the mini?

Gunner
02-26-2014, 17:28
Stupid Question: How are these attached to the mini?

I use cyanoacrylate glue "Krazy glue".

dotichnus
02-26-2014, 20:56
It seems like a slower-drying superglue would work too.

Gunner
02-26-2014, 21:44
I've got a good staple gun! Just in case glue doesn't work)

mdavis41
02-28-2014, 20:30
I managed to test them out over the weekend and all is good on that front. I was not able to get any "finished" ships done up to photograph for the site product image. I did take some photos of just the frets yesterday and will put them up on the site soon (hopefully tonight) with just those images. I'd like to add some finished ship photos this week as well, but not sure I'll have the time as I have to get one of my rental properties ready for new tenets to move in on Sat.

mdavis41
02-28-2014, 20:31
Keith

How will the pre-order availability status be communicated? As an official product in the Store?

The Royal Hajj
03-03-2014, 04:57
The ratlines are up for pre-order now (http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/game-aides/sails-of-glory.html)!

VonTed
03-03-2014, 05:52
The ratlines are up for pre-order now (http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/game-aides/sails-of-glory.html)!

Ohhhh exciting. How will these be shipped? (i.e. if I pick the cheap method will some card or board be inserted to help prevent the USPS from bending them to fit in my mail box?!) :)

Or do we (should we) pick a different means of shipping?

The Royal Hajj
03-03-2014, 06:54
Ohhhh exciting. How will these be shipped? (i.e. if I pick the cheap method will some card or board be inserted to help prevent the USPS from bending them to fit in my mail box?!) :)

Or do we (should we) pick a different means of shipping?

These will be placed in a heave card stock envelope that seals at the top and then placed into one of the typical bubble mailer envelopes. this is the same method I use to ship out decals, so I've no concerns that they will be damaged during shipping. I'll also slap some Do Not Bend stickers on the outside as well just for good measure. This is all for orders that contain just ratlines. Mixed orders will have them placed inside that card stock envelope and then into the box with other items.

Coog
03-03-2014, 07:01
I'll also slap some Do Not Bend stickers on the outside as well just for good measure.

With the Post Office that's like saying "Bend me...Please bend Me...You know you want to be me":happy:

VonTed
03-03-2014, 07:06
Thanks for the quick reply, now I just need to see if my buddy wants a set
:drinks:

Nightmoss
03-03-2014, 08:37
Excellent, Keith. I just ordered several sets, thanks! Any chance they might get here before May?

The Royal Hajj
03-03-2014, 09:24
Excellent, Keith. I just ordered several sets, thanks! Any chance they might get here before May?

Possibly, but I'm saying May to be on the safe side... so no, May it is :happy:

Nightmoss
03-03-2014, 12:10
Possibly, but I'm saying May to be on the safe side... so no, May it is :happy:

Understood! :thumbsup:

Gunner
03-03-2014, 13:50
CC billing cycle starts on the 19th, so that's when I'll place an order for 3 sets +.:beer:

Пилот
03-03-2014, 14:44
Me likes it :Arrrr:

AlyssaFaden
03-03-2014, 19:19
brilliant, just brilliant. Now I just need to add up my Captain level to see what I need!

The Royal Hajj
03-04-2014, 08:50
brilliant, just brilliant. Now I just need to add up my Captain level to see what I need!

For a standard Capt level you would need 4 of the Wave 1 sets.

AlyssaFaden
03-09-2014, 16:14
For a standard Capt level you would need 4 of the Wave 1 sets.

PERFECT! Thank you.

AlyssaFaden
03-09-2014, 16:17
..... and ordered.

bakblast
03-13-2014, 23:56
When you pre order, are you charged then or are you charged at time of shipment?

The Royal Hajj
03-14-2014, 06:09
Unfortunately, my site only allows the option of collecting the funds when the order is placed.

Ken H
03-14-2014, 12:10
I'd really like to see a photo of a mounted set before committing.

DeRuyter
03-14-2014, 12:16
I'd really like to see a photo of a mounted set before committing.

Go back to page 3 post #130 of this thread.

BRIAN DUNBAR
03-14-2014, 22:26
Okay. My four sets are on pre order. Since flag poles need to be removed on some ships what is everyone planning to do for flags on the ships?:question:

Gunner
03-14-2014, 23:11
Okay. My four sets are on pre order. Since flag poles need to be removed on some ships what is everyone planning to do for flags on the ships?:question:

Just ordered my first 4 sets also.
Send a SASE & I'll send you my flags and you can figure out what to do with them.:beer:

BRIAN DUNBAR
03-15-2014, 00:41
Just ordered my first 4 sets also.
Send a SASE & I'll send you my flags and you can figure out what to do with them.:beer:

I'm not looking for everyone's flags. I was wondering if people are going to come up with different flags and put them on the ship or forget the flags altogether.

dotichnus
03-15-2014, 01:14
I am planning to either 1) attach the ensign to the rigging (paintbrush method) or 2) stick it onto a wire sticking up from the deck. White ensign for my Royal Navy.

Devsdoc
03-15-2014, 09:15

I'm not looking for everyone's flags. I was wondering if people are going to come up with different flags and put them on the ship or forget the flags altogether.

I am planning to either 1) attach the ensign to the rigging (paintbrush method) or 2) stick it onto a wire sticking up from the deck. White ensign for my Royal Navy.

Hi Guy's
Hope this helps. After rigging (as far as you wish) Add flag to a line from the back of the Spanker yards

I think you can download flags from the how too thread by Vol
Be safe
Rory

Nightmoss
03-15-2014, 09:29

Brian, I'll be putting the appropriate national flag on most of my ships using the method that Rory has posted photos of. I'm not particularly fond of the plastic flag that's part of the original sculpts.

There's also been discussion of other ways to distinguish ships on the playing field, but I don't think I've seen any examples of that posted yet?

Nightmoss
04-03-2014, 08:33
Keith, have you heard any news on the ratlines production? I've been good and waited a whole month before asking for an update. :sly: Thanks!

The Royal Hajj
04-03-2014, 08:38
Actually I have. They are expected to be completed this week with a week or two to get to me... so should be before the end of the month baring any delays.

Gunner
04-03-2014, 09:00
Actually I have. They are expected to be completed this week with a week or two to get to me... so should be before the end of the month baring any delays.

That's good news. Anxious to try them out.

Nightmoss
04-03-2014, 10:59

Woot!! Great news! Like Ed, I'm also anxious to try them out.

BRIAN DUNBAR
04-03-2014, 11:40
Can't wait.

Ducky
04-03-2014, 12:46
Are they still available for ordering? They will enhance my ships for sure!

Like to get the ratlines for the starterset to begin with ;)

And again you idd a great job making the game better than it is!
Keep up the good work Haj

The Royal Hajj
04-03-2014, 13:16
Thanks Ducky, You can still pre-order them on the AA site (blue link in the menu at the top of this page).

Cpt Kangaroo
04-03-2014, 13:25
Keith, was there a suggested glue for this work? We were discussing the plastic and glue type on another thread, and this adds another medium of Stainless Steel.

Looking forward to seeing these.

:thumbsup:

The Royal Hajj
04-03-2014, 13:29
The production lines are actually going to be brass. It held the detail fine and is easier to work with. I would use super glue to attach them, but since you are going have to paint them first, any glue that will bond between the paint and plastic should work just fine.

7eat51
04-03-2014, 18:58
I am planning on having a few ships with some repainting and the ratlines for show at Origins. I think some people will be surprised at how much the ships can be enhanced.

Ducky
04-04-2014, 17:58
Just to be sure..... The wave 1 set is for the ships in the starterset?

Excuse me for being a noob concerning SoG :surrender::drinks:

Andy Blozinski
04-04-2014, 19:02
I am planning on having a few ships with some repainting and the ratlines for show at Origins. I think some people will be surprised at how much the ships can be enhanced.

I just finished painting up the masts and washing the sails on the other three ships in my starter. I continue to be amazed at how much this improves their looks.

So..Keith...when are Wave 2 ratlines coming out?

The Royal Hajj
04-04-2014, 19:36
Just to be sure..... The wave 1 set is for the ships in the starterset?

The Wave 1 Ratlines will fit any of the ships that came out along side the starter. So, that is all 4 in the starter set proper, the 4 KS exclusives, and the 8 that came in ship packs.

I just finished painting up the masts and washing the sails on the other three ships in my starter. I continue to be amazed at how much this improves their looks.

So..Keith...when are Wave 2 ratlines coming out?

I have to have some Wave 2 ships in hand first... and see how well these are going to sell.

Nightmoss
04-17-2014, 09:10
The Wave 1 Ratlines will fit any of the ships that came out along side the starter. So, that is all 4 in the starter set proper, the 4 KS exclusives, and the 8 that came in ship packs.

I have to have some Wave 2 ships in hand first... and see how well these are going to sell.

Keith, do we have an update on the brass ratlines for the first wave? And with Wave 2 coming up (May is less than two weeks away) have you heard anything from Ares about getting any of those in hand for creating the custom ratlines for them as well.

(I know Ed asked in another thread if there has been any word on Wave 2 shipping from China)

Thanks!

The Royal Hajj
04-17-2014, 09:41
I should be getting the ratlines sometime late next week early the week after. As for Wave 2, they are now set to be released in June (earlier part I think). I'm not going to get any advanced copies to work from. So I'll have to wait until they are released before I can work on the ratlines for them.

Nightmoss
04-17-2014, 11:26
I should be getting the ratlines sometime late next week early the week after. As for Wave 2, they are now set to be released in June (earlier part I think). I'm not going to get any advanced copies to work from. So I'll have to wait until they are released before I can work on the ratlines for them.

Thanks for the information on both the Wave 1 and 2 ratlines. Much appreciated.

Andy Blozinski
04-17-2014, 17:10

Oh crap. I combined my ratline and wave 2 order. That means I have to wait until god knows when to get my ratlines. Any way I could split that order?

The Royal Hajj
04-18-2014, 06:25
Sure Andy, I can do that for you.

Пилот
04-25-2014, 16:21
I finally ordered ratlines for Wave 1 :happy:

DeRuyter
04-28-2014, 12:28
I finally ordered ratlines for Wave 1 :happy:

Me too - and one of the "Long 9" wind indicators as well!

Nightmoss
05-02-2014, 08:35
Hey Keith. It's me bugging you about the brass ratlines (again). According to your 4-17-14 post you should have them in hand by now? If not, might you be expecting to ship fairly soon? I know you're working a lot of hours so it might be a couple more weeks before we get them in the mail. Thanks!

The Royal Hajj
05-02-2014, 09:29
I just talked to the company yesterday via email and there was a delay. Looks like another two weeks possibly before I get them :sad:

Nightmoss
05-02-2014, 10:51
I just talked to the company yesterday via email and there was a delay. Looks like another two weeks possibly before I get them :sad:

Thanks for the update Keith. The main reason I'm asking is it's finally warm enough to start spray painting outside so of course I want to get those ratlines on some of the pirate repaints.

I wont ask again for a couple of weeks at least. :sly:

Wouldn't it be ironic if we got the Wave 2 ships before the ratlines? :shock:

Toothless9
05-21-2014, 23:55
Looks like irony became fact. Any news on the ratlines?

The Royal Hajj
05-22-2014, 07:27
They started shipping out yesterday ;)

7eat51
05-22-2014, 07:56

Great news. Thanks, Keith.

Ducky
05-22-2014, 08:05
Thats great news Keith!

Wartrain
05-22-2014, 09:04
Thanks for the great news, can't wait to see them.

Nightmoss
05-22-2014, 09:06

Great news, Keith. Ah, can we clarify they're shipping from you or shipping from the original producer to you? Thanks!

DeRuyter
05-22-2014, 11:55
Great news, Keith. Ah, can we clarify they're shipping from you or shipping from the original producer to you? Thanks!

Shipping to us from AA - Just got my shipping e-mail yesterday!

Ducky
05-25-2014, 14:51
Thats even better news :beer:

Nightmoss
05-25-2014, 16:39
Shipping to us from AA - Just got my shipping e-mail yesterday!

And we want photos, preferably on the ship!! :wink:

Пилот
05-26-2014, 00:34
And we want photos, preferably on the ship!! :wink:
Somehow I believe first photo-reports will be yours :beer:

Nightmoss
05-26-2014, 08:32
Somehow I believe first photo-reports will be yours :beer:

I would be happy to oblige, but mine have not shipped yet. I think Keith is holding them to ship with my Wave 2 stuff. The way things are going that might be weeks, unfortunately.

The Royal Hajj
05-27-2014, 07:55
The AA site upgrade that crapped out on me has held up the shippments. I can't actually process the orders from the backend. I hope to have that solved tonight or tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for bearing with me on this.

Nightmoss
05-27-2014, 10:30
The AA site upgrade that crapped out on me has held up the shippments. I can't actually process the orders from the backend. I hope to have that solved tonight or tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for bearing with me on this.

Thanks for the update Keith. I didn't realize that the site was causing you problems again? The stuff will get here eventually, I have no doubt. Cheers.

The Royal Hajj
05-29-2014, 09:00
I managed to get a lot of orders processed yesterday. A bunch of Ratlines are now on their way to a port near you.

Nightmoss
05-29-2014, 09:03
I managed to get a lot of orders processed yesterday. A bunch of Ratlines are now on their way to a port near you.

Thanks Keith. I just got notice that the ratlines are shipping. I also got a credit notice for the Wave 2 ships, but I don't think those have actually shipped yet.

The Royal Hajj
05-29-2014, 09:09
Jim, your ships did ship :happy: The way I did the refund for the missing ship caused the site not to send out the shipping notice on yours. I corrected my process going forward with the rest of the ship orders that went out.

Nightmoss
05-29-2014, 09:25
Jim, your ships did ship :happy: The way I did the refund for the missing ship caused the site not to send out the shipping notice on yours. I corrected my process going forward with the rest of the ship orders that went out.

Cool beans! Thanks Keith. Can't wait to see those ratlines! How did they turn out?

The Royal Hajj
05-29-2014, 09:41
They turned out great. I've not had time to use them yet, but the detail on this is mind blowing. Makes the Langton lines look bulky.

DeRuyter
05-29-2014, 11:18
They turned out great. I've not had time to use them yet, but the detail on this is mind blowing. Makes the Langton lines look bulky.

I will second Keith on these - awesome detail and they turned out great. Now to get the time to sit down and start rigging ships!!

Eric

Nightmoss
05-29-2014, 13:47

Excellent. How is your current supply? Did you sell out, or still have some on hand?

I will second Keith on these - awesome detail and they turned out great. Now to get the time to sit down and start rigging ships!!

Eric

Thanks for the updates. Will be anxious to see them in person.

The Royal Hajj
05-30-2014, 05:37
Well, my current supply is a little messed up. The factory did not ship my entire order to me. So, I'm currently sold out right now because I have no more of 102. The missing ratlines land here in the US on Tuesday, and then will be sent to me. Once I have those, I'll still have some stock left.

7eat51
05-30-2014, 07:36
Hi Keith,

Should I put in an order for ratlines now, or is it best to wait until you are restocked?

Thanks.

Toothless9
05-30-2014, 07:42
Keith, if I didn't receive a notification from you, does this mean my preorder wasn't filled? Don't want to anticipate if my order isn't coming yet.

The Royal Hajj
05-30-2014, 07:52
Hi Keith,

Should I put in an order for ratlines now, or is it best to wait until you are restocked?

Thanks.

Please wait... besides, the site is still not taking orders :(

Keith, if I didn't receive a notification from you, does this mean my preorder wasn't filled? Don't want to anticipate if my order isn't coming yet.

If you can give me an order number, I can double check it for you.

7eat51
05-30-2014, 07:57
I'll wait until you inform us it is a go. No hurry, here.

Wishing you the best on resolving these problems.

Toothless9
05-31-2014, 12:00
I just sent you an email with the order number and the details of the order.

mdavis41
05-31-2014, 16:56
My many sets of brass ratlines arrived. They are works of art. After peeling oof the plastic film they blacken perfectly with Blacken-It. But which goes where?

Nightmoss
05-31-2014, 21:05
My many sets of brass ratlines arrived. They are works of art. After peeling oof the plastic film they blacken perfectly with Blacken-It. But which goes where?

Hi Michael,

Check out post #31 in this thread (on page 1). If I'm reading the diagram correctly. One is the lower foremast, 2 is upper foremast. 3 is the lower mainmast and 4 is the upper mainmast. 5 is the lower mizzenmast and 6 the upper mizzenmast. The ratlines at each number are for both the port and starboard sides of the mast. Post number #130 also in this thread (page number 3) shows the orientation with the straight or nearly vertical edge going towards the bow of the ship.

If this doesn't make sense, or I'm getting it wrong, hopefully Keith or others will correct me.

mdavis41
05-31-2014, 23:10
Are 5 and 6 correct? 6 looks like it might be lower mizzen....

The Royal Hajj
06-01-2014, 03:18
Check out post #31 in this thread (on page 1). If I'm reading the diagram correctly. One is the lower foremast, 2 is upper foremast. 3 is the lower mainmast and 4 is the upper mainmast. 5 is the lower mizzenmast and 6 the upper mizzenmast. The ratlines at each number are for both the port and starboard sides of the mast. Post number #130 also in this thread (page number 3) shows the orientation with the straight or nearly vertical edge going towards the bow of the ship.

That is correct.

Are 5 and 6 correct? 6 looks like it might be lower mizzen....

On one or two of the ships (I can't recall at this point which), the upper mizzen was actually larger then the lower mizzen.

mdavis41
06-01-2014, 08:31
Thanks you for the clarification. As beautiful as the frets are, they will require very careful cutting and handling. Properly done, they should transform the Ares models.

mdavis41
06-01-2014, 19:12
First impressions:

1. I dipped the fret in Blacken-it. First mistake: I left the fret in the solution too long.
2. I was worried about how to cut the ratlines without breaking anything. I needn't have worried. The individual ratlines just fell from the fret. This is probably because the Blacken-It corroded the tiny threads that kept the ratlines attached to the fret.
3. They are as delicate as spider webs. Do not touch the shrouds or ratlines except at the very apex of the shrouds, with a very gentle touch, using fine tweezers. Do not use your fingers. I of course learned this the hard way, breaking numerous delicate connections of the spider web. First attempt, I ruined 50% of the individual parts.

I will press on, having learned a thing or two. However as beautiful as these ratlines are, they are so delicate that they will not survive heavy handed assembly or later game play. Maybe the Blacken-It weakened the brass too much. However paint would destroy them altogether. I will try a quick application of Blacken it next time and then neutralize the chemical reaction. I think a water bath would do this.

It will be interesting to see how others are finding them. At this point, I fear they may be too good for the Ares models, and just too fragile. A more robust approach along the lines of Rod Langton's brass shrouds might be the answer. I love them, but.....

Nightmoss
06-01-2014, 20:13
First impressions:

1. I dipped the fret in Blacken-it. First mistake: I left the fret in the solution too long.
2. I was worried about how to cut the ratlines without breaking anything. I needn't have worried. The individual ratlines just fell from the fret. This is probably because the Blacken-It corroded the tiny threads that kept the ratlines attached to the fret.
3. They are as delicate as spider webs. Do not touch the shrouds or ratlines except at the very apex of the shrouds, with a very gentle touch, using fine tweezers. Do not use your fingers. I of course learned this the hard way, breaking numerous delicate connections of the spider web. First attempt, I ruined 50% of the individual parts.

I will press on, having learned a thing or two. However as beautiful as these ratlines are, they are so delicate that they will not survive heavy handed assembly or later game play. Maybe the Blacken-It weakened the brass too much. However paint would destroy them altogether. I will try a quick application of Blacken it next time and then neutralize the chemical reaction. I think a water bath would do this.

It will be interesting to see how others are finding them. At this point, I fear they may be too good for the Ares models, and just too fragile. A more robust approach along the lines of Rod Langton's brass shrouds might be the answer. I love them, but.....

I've never used Blacken-It but from what I just read on some model ship forums it can destroy small brass parts pretty quickly?

I haven't received my brass ratlines yet, but I do appreciate your posting some warnings and advice. They do look rather delicate, which was the real attraction for any of the ship models I've been working on; Ares, Langton or GHQ. Are the sheets protected on both side with a peel off film? I'm wondering if some work should be done before the second film is removed from the frets? If there's only one side of film then working of the clean brass side first?

The Royal Hajj
06-02-2014, 03:56
There is film on both sides... and they are delicate so handle with care. Once on, I don't think there will be any issues with them. I guess if people pick up your ships by the upper part of the hulls, there is a chance they will damage them.

Nightmoss
06-02-2014, 08:19
There is film on both sides... and they are delicate so handle with care. Once on, I don't think there will be any issues with them. I guess if people pick up your ships by the upper part of the hulls, there is a chance they will damage them.

Thanks Keith. Traditionally the standing rigging goes on first, then the ratlines and finally the running rigging if you choose to do running rigging. I wonder if the ratlines can be saved for last so you don't risk damage? But working around the running rigging could be an issue all its own. Can't wait to see them in person.

The Royal Hajj
06-02-2014, 08:43
I think anyone with skills and inclination to do both sets of rigging will be fine with these. You are already use to working with small delicate parts.

Diamondback
06-02-2014, 12:25
Would black permanent marker work for "paint"?

Ducky
06-02-2014, 12:37
Marker trends to get vague over time...

The Royal Hajj
06-02-2014, 12:41
I tried permanent marker on one of the pre-production samples. It kind of colored them. I had an old marker and only tried one coat... so a little more effort may make that method work. I think brush painting them could work as well if done right. The paint would need to be thinned properly and they would need to be placed on an absorbent surface (paper towel perhaps). The issue with brush painting them is the paint will fill the small areas between the ratlines. If the paper towel was allowed to soak up that excess paint, I think it could work.

Diamondback
06-02-2014, 12:43
I was also assuming a flat clear-coat as final step, which I shoulda mentioned. (Force of habit: NOTHING gets outshopped from my workbench without at least some kind of protective clearcoat.)

Ducky
06-02-2014, 12:58
Still I would go for the Black spraycan :wink:

nilliom
06-02-2014, 13:12
Would air brushing work?

Ducky
06-02-2014, 13:20
Yup think so but I would go for a Black primer paint, and dont forget to clean the brass before spraying it with some dishwashing soap to take off greasy residu:drinks:

Coog
06-02-2014, 13:39
I guess if people pick up your ships by the upper part of the hulls, there is a chance they will damage them.

It seems to me that unless you are going to play with a select group of friends, you would be better off leaving ratlines and rigging off. Or keep two sets of ships...one fully rigged for that select group and one without rigging for those random groups at the local game store and cons. It is inevitable that a ham fisted klutz will crush your ratlines or an inattentive kid will bounce a model off the floor. After putting in so much care and effort to create a beautiful model, is it worth the risk?