PDA

View Full Version : How do most people plan to play SoG?

Old Ironsides
10-09-2013, 14:53
SoG witll be the first AoS mini game I own. In the chippy shop I noticed many modelrs a building 1/1200 models as fast as they can and there are alreadt some impressive collections out there.

Do people plan to mix them with SoG minis or just use their own scale? Having not seen the SoG ships in person are the stands and bases conducive to using another line of minis od have people started making their own custom bases already as well?

I have so many modeling projects going right now with my other Naval games I have no immediate plans to try and delve into sailing ships. Just curious what others plan to do in case I get to that point someday.

Devsdoc
10-09-2013, 15:41
SoG witll be the first AoS mini game I own. In the chippy shop I noticed many modelrs a building 1/1200 models as fast as they can and there are alreadt some impressive collections out there.

Do people plan to mix them with SoG minis or just use their own scale? Having not seen the SoG ships in person are the stands and bases conducive to using another line of minis od have people started making their own custom bases already as well?

I have so many modeling projects going right now with my other Naval games I have no immediate plans to try and delve into sailing ships. Just curious what others plan to do in case I get to that point someday.

There is more to life in the naval wargaming under sail than SOG.
Be safe
Rory

Nightmoss
10-09-2013, 17:21
Sails of Glory will be my 'entry' level into AoS gaming. While I've built a number of 1/1200 sail miniatures I've never played a game using these ships or any of the rule sets out there for AoS simulations.

Rory and many others are wargamers who model ships. I'm probably closer to the flip side of that; a modeler who occasionally wargames. I'm hoping SoG is popular enough that I can game some AoS at the local hobby store, but I doubt I will mix and match the 1/1200 Langton ships with the 1/1000 SoG versions. Nothing saying you can't, but I wont be bringing the metal minis to a gaming table. There's also the reality that naval AoS gaming here abouts probably isn't all that popular, but that's guessing on my part?

As for modeling projects I am anxious to see how the SoG ships will look if 'tricked out' with brass ratlines, rigging and some painting. Keith has already shown that the rigging makes a big difference.

Devsdoc
10-09-2013, 18:00
Sails of Glory will be my 'entry' level into AoS gaming. While I've built a number of 1/1200 sail miniatures I've never played a game using these ships or any of the rule sets out there for AoS simulations.

Rory and many others are wargamers who model ships. I'm probably closer to the flip side of that; a modeler who occasionally wargames. I'm hoping SoG is popular enough that I can game some AoS at the local hobby store, but I doubt I will mix and match the 1/1200 Langton ships with the 1/1000 SoG versions. Nothing saying you can't, but I wont be bringing the metal minis to a gaming table. There's also the reality that naval AoS gaming here abouts probably isn't all that popular, but that's guessing on my part?

As for modeling projects I am anxious to see how the SoG ships will look if 'tricked out' with brass ratlines, rigging and some painting. Keith has already shown that the rigging makes a big difference.

Thanks Jim,
You said it better than me. I too think Keith thread is the best opening thread to start folks adding to the ships
Be safe
Rory

Nightmoss
10-09-2013, 19:20
Thanks Jim,
You said it better than me. I too think Keith thread is the best opening thread to start folks adding to the ships
Be safe
Rory

Actually Rory, you said it quite well in another thread, "I'm a wargamer that models, not a modeller that wargames." That's stayed in my mind as something important to recognize when you model and/or game. Some folks do both, but a lot of people do just one or the other, for any number of reasons.

Comte de Brueys
10-09-2013, 22:51
Like WoG I'll reduce my interest in minatures on the official products from Ares Games.

I made only one exception for a pair of SBD Dauntless dive bombers from AIM and a (very nice) scratch build bomber I won in a contest.

Hobbes
10-10-2013, 04:09
I will most certainly not buy into any other AoS game unless they will offer pre-painted ready to play miniatures.

I'm no good in any handy wokd and thus I could barely bring myself to paint one team of GW's Bloodbowl game and will not dive into the more complex task to model SoLs. I know this habit to be a character failure on my part, as it hinders me to take part in other historic war gaming such as Field of Glory etc.

HMS Lydia
10-10-2013, 04:52
Yeah, I'm artistically challanged. So I prefer pre-paints or sending figs off to a painting service. So, I'm not a modeller, just a wargamer. I have made quite a bit of terrain for WWII and ACW, but I even get that pre-made and painted when I can.

Cpt Kangaroo
10-10-2013, 05:51
I come from a different perspective, one of necessity. Where and when I grew up, there were no easy resources for gaming and modeling supplies were scarce.

If you didn't build it, you couldn't play it. Avalon Hill made a mint on cardboard counter type games. For many years, I had spent hours converting some of these games to '3D'. WS&IM being the classic example. I still look to this game for larger battles.

Most conversations I have read about 'conversion' are regarding bringing existing metal models into this game. I don't blame them at all as I look at their collector and museum quality models. (Personally, I wouldn't put them on the gaming table for fear of damage.) I am coming at this in the opposite direction. My intent is to use this game as a gateway to gaming when I want a quick pick up game our to introduce a new gamer to the fun. Should I feel the need to go back to other games, I will be converting these models instead. They are that good! And it would be very easy.

If this game goes like the WoG, I will be very happy. Ares has been very thorough about bringing all types to the table, even though it takes a long time. The anticipation builds appreciation and in some way forces patience. Coming from a land where everything would take six weeks to arrive, this has not been a big problem for me, although I have seen delays really bug others. It is worth the wait.

So now, I will be designing bases to use SoG with WS&IM, rather than the other way around. :fixit:

7eat51
10-10-2013, 06:56
I am a gamer who is dipping his toes into the pool of modeling. Vol, Rory, and others here have greatly piqued my interest in trying my hand at painting minis. My wife, Sue (ling), on the other hand, took a nose dive into the modeling deep-end since attending Origins. Having David (Clipper) and David (Wear Ship Dave) over this past weekend has greatly encouraged me regarding modeling. Without the willingness of folks here to help, and the spirit I have seen displayed here towards folks who try their hand at modeling, I doubt I would have ever considered it.

As long as I can use the same base size with appropriate gun-firing arcs, I would not hesitate mixing scales, as the pictures I have seen of the two scales (1:1000 and 1:1200) next to each other don't look grossly out of proportion to each other. Additionally, I doubt my customs will ever look like museum pieces, unless we're talking about the Museum of Artistically Challenged and Unskilled Hacks.

As for rule sets, I am all in favor of incorporating elements from different systems as house rules, or using different systems in their entirety. The audience, the time available, and the goal of game-play will dictate which system is played.

One thing is for sure, I hope we develop a decent solo system. Until Magic, Heroclix, and 40K lose some of their charm, historical wargaming, in our area, will remain the preference of the elite, and will take a back seat at local game stores and conventions. Elite … I like that.

HMS Lydia
10-10-2013, 07:02
One thing is for sure, I hope we develop a decent solo system. Until Magic, Heroclix, and 40K lose some of their charm, historical wargaming, in our area, will remain the preference of the elite, and will take a back seat at local game stores and conventions. Elite … I like that.

Eric, We all feel your pain on the 40K, card game crowds! Even in a large Metro area it can be difficult lining up a historical game.

7eat51
10-10-2013, 07:11
Bob, sounds like some road trips are in order.

I wonder if we could set up a game at St. James Winery down by you. That would make for a great fall get-away day.

HMS Lydia
10-10-2013, 07:27
Eric,

St. James would work for me. But we also have gaming shops in Granite City (Wargamer's Cave), the Fantasy Shop in St. Charles, and Game Nite on Watson Road in St. Louis)...so lots of places to to play. I have an 8x4 foot game table in my basement. But we're renovating so not a good time for my house. I would also be willing to come up to you. It'll have to be on a Saturday or Sunday though, due to drive time. You had talked about early December possibly. I know two of us minimum are excited to come up and play. I work about 1 weekend a month, but I'm definitely off on Saturday December 4th (just a thought).

Bob

Avi
10-10-2013, 12:11
I think I am on the extreme side of the war-gamer spectrum - no models up till now. SoG is also my first AoS game...
Up till now I was more into realistic modern age war-games (or sometimes without the games so much...)

I can envision myself playing with "fake" bases without a ship on top if a scenario calls for more ships than available.

Gunner
10-10-2013, 12:23
It looks like I'll end up with two navies. A pure SGN fleet (not counting customized SGN ships). And a 1/1200 fleet with home made SGN bases and cards (I haven't figured that part out yet).

csadn
10-10-2013, 16:00
I have cats -- one of whom is part-Siamese, and has a talent for Picking Up Small Objects. So until I can clear a well-ventilated space which they cannot get to, I'm unable to build models.

And I have two complete sets of the _Robotech Tactics_ minis game headed my way....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pChZeIE_3o :)

Gunner
10-10-2013, 17:08
I have cats -- one of whom is part-Siamese, and has a talent for Picking Up Small Objects. So until I can clear a well-ventilated space which they cannot get to, I'm unable to build models.

And I have two complete sets of the _Robotech Tactics_ minis game headed my way....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pChZeIE_3o :)

Sell your cats?

Devsdoc
10-10-2013, 19:21
Dear All on this thread,
I think the idea of a pre-painted ship for wargaming is so good. I for one am so happy that at last you can enter this fun world of AoS. I think the game too is good, as it stands for a fun fast game. The different ships Logs/Mats I have seen on-line will go a long way to make it easier to play bigger games. The bits that are painted look O.K. Keith has shown, that with a little work and string, you can make the ships look better. If you wish too!
I think if SOG takes off (I hope so) that in time we may see SOG ships being uses with other rules.
As Erin said. Some of us had to make do. As we made do, we got better at it. I have 3 fleets and a 4th one in planning (4th half done and 5th in planning,if one counts my merchantmen) all of which are 1-1200. The later ones are better than the first ones.
At Gosport this year I saw Mark Barker's ships. Two of the best made fleets I have seen, 1-1200 Langton's. The SOG ships looked just O.K. next to them, but so would my ships look just O.K.
The path of going to 1-1000 is a sad one, and I cannot see why? We have been told a number of things why. I still can not see it with todays high tec moulding etc.
I have tried to help with photos and threads on how to make ship models or ideas on making SOG ships look better and your own.
If I was to see Jims and Vols ships and look at mine, I to would wish to hide them or throw them at a wall. So paint the yard-arms, add a wash to the sails and some string too and have a good look at them. Maybe not as good as Jims and Vols, but better than just from the box. If you can just try! you may one day do a whole ship. It takes me a long time to write this, Why? because I'm c##p at writing. But I have a go and I hope get better at it!
I to may one day be lucky and Ares will see that a number of us do support them, and they start to support us, who have ships already.
Be safe and have a go
Rory

Gunner
10-10-2013, 20:10
I believe that SGN ships will cause a surge in navel wargaming that hasn't been seen before. And I think they will be used with all existing rules.
The main reason most people didn't get into it was, they didn't have the time or skill to build and paint the existing kits. So I hope that Ares is gearing up now for what I feel will be a big increase in sales once the ships are available.

csadn
10-11-2013, 13:56
Sell your cats?

The SO would not approve.

Neither would I.

David Manley
10-11-2013, 14:03
Sell your cats?

UNTHINKABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunner
10-11-2013, 14:47
Doesn't anyone have their priorities in order?:takecover:

Devsdoc
10-11-2013, 17:47
Doesn't anyone have their priorities in order?:takecover:
No Ed,
Cat comes, after Jane but before ships

Gunner
10-11-2013, 17:58
No Ed,
Cat comes, after Jane but before ships

I:cry:for you.

I hope you know this is all in good humor.

Devsdoc
10-11-2013, 18:14
I:cry:for you.

I hope you know this is all in good humer.

Ed,
NO! :drinks:
Rory

Devsdoc
10-11-2013, 18:19
I believe that SGN ships will cause a surge in navel wargaming that hasn't been seen before. And I think they will be used with all existing rules.
The main reason most people didn't get into it was, they didn't have the time or skill to build and paint the existing kits. So I hope that Ares is gearing up now for what I feel will be a big increase in sales once the ships are available.

Ed,
A part of me hopes your right. A part of me hopes your wrong!
I know, mad but true
Rory

Gunner
10-11-2013, 18:39
Ed,
NO! :drinks:
Rory

Now you sound like my last X.

Devsdoc
10-11-2013, 19:05

I hope not, I'm a big 6ft bloke with a beard. Not your type I hope :erk: :happy:
Be safe
Rory

Berthier
10-12-2013, 02:45
UNTHINKABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm,maybe we should have a poll on here as to who has/likes cats...is there a mathematical theorem linking AOS followers to cat lovers (moggy theory of naval attachment)?

Poll
Like cats Y/N

Vote for Y myself! (Keith we need a ship's cat smile)

Berthier
10-12-2013, 02:47

Ed, there's a TV series in that comment:wink:

Berthier
10-12-2013, 02:48
I hope not, I'm a big 6ft bloke with a beard. Not your type I hope :erk: :happy:
Be safe
Rory

Well it is the Royal Navy...

Andy Blozinski
10-12-2013, 06:20

Many years ago, I took my wife to a Battle of Berlin WW II re-enactment in which she was dressed up as a refugee Russian civilian. She spouted out the only two Russian words she knew, which were Nyet and Dosvedanya. I immediately pointed out that this was typical of a woman to only say "No" and "goodbye". We both laughed and it's been a recurring joke for a long time now.

Devsdoc
10-12-2013, 06:22
A massage from my Boss (Jane)
"Don't any of your cats understand and know of the word, NO!"
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
10-12-2013, 07:12
Be safe
Rory

Don't get me wrong, I still miss my X.
But my aim is improving.

7eat51
10-12-2013, 07:41
Poll
Like cats Y/N

Depends upon how they are prepared.

Gunner
10-12-2013, 07:45
Depends upon how they are prepared.

I was going to say that. But I thought I was in enough trouble already.

7eat51
10-12-2013, 07:48
I was going to say that. But I thought I was in enough trouble already.

To dig the hole a little deeper, cat is, actually, the best meat I have ever tasted.

Always happy to run interference for you, Ed.

David Manley
10-12-2013, 08:04
To dig the hole a little deeper, cat is, actually, the best meat I have ever tasted.

Always happy to run interference for you, Ed.

You can seriously go off people, you know?

Comte de Brueys
10-12-2013, 10:20
David is right.

Don't eat them - use them to scare the enemy.

Load the gun - cat in the muzzle - fire and watch what happen when the pissed off cat hammers into the enemy ship. :sly:

:takecover:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship%27s_cat

David Manley
10-12-2013, 12:34

Gunner
10-12-2013, 16:07

Wookie appetizer:eat:

Devsdoc
10-12-2013, 19:12
David,
I think we are being got at!
Be safe
Rory

Berthier
10-12-2013, 19:29
You know who you are.

But you wont know when, you wont hear a thing, but one night it will come, be afraid...

Coog
10-12-2013, 19:44
Be very afraid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-Hhi7gPiW0

Gunner
10-12-2013, 20:35
Excuse my 50's English but, you cats are too much.

Devsdoc
10-12-2013, 21:57
Excuse my 50's English but, you cats are too much.

GOOD

David Manley
10-12-2013, 23:45
Wookie appetizer:eat:

Wookies? More like Wussies! :happy:

Gunner
10-13-2013, 00:28
I give up:surrender:. Long live cats.
But somewhere else

Devsdoc
10-13-2013, 06:43
PURrrrrrrrr:happy:

Capn Duff
10-20-2013, 06:48
By the time I got to the last post I had clean forgotten what was the start and thought it was a poll on ships cats !
I really must get out more

Capn Duff
10-20-2013, 06:48
By the time I got to the last post I had clean forgotten what was the start and thought it was a poll on ships cats !

Devsdoc
10-20-2013, 09:52
No Chris,
Just us cat lovers going off thread. Sorry! This was a good thread until we put our paws in. I think we should blame Ed and his anti-cat posts .:happy:
Be safe
Rory

David Manley
10-20-2013, 10:05
All entirely on topic given the importance of ships cats :happy:

Andy Blozinski
10-20-2013, 10:54
Since they didn't have women on those old sailing ships, they had to have a different kind of.........

Gunner
10-20-2013, 11:45

Is there a reason that you post everything twice? You'll run out of shot before you're in range.

Gunner
10-20-2013, 11:53
No Chris,
Just us cat lovers going off thread. Sorry! This was a good thread until we put our paws in. I think we should blame Ed and his anti-cat posts .:happy:
Be safe
Rory

How many times must I apologize?
:shootright:cat:shootleft: Did I type that out loud?:happy:

Wargamer
10-20-2013, 12:22
Usually on a table top.