PDA

View Full Version : 'Aftermarket' Sails

GrouperKicker
10-05-2013, 07:46
Ok... I'm just throwing this out there, so be kind.
Although I am fine with the sails on the SoG ships as they currently stand, how hard would it be to create some replacement sails that did not have the extra plastic between the mast and the actual sail? I know that the extra plastic is there for mass production and 'all-around sturdiness' reasons, but I was wondering if upgraded sails would be worthwhile or of any interest to anyone. (And no, I have NO idea how to go about this!)

Diamondback
10-05-2013, 14:33
In wargaming, we have to make compromises between detail and durability... while I think Ares did all they could for detail without compromising on structure, I can see why those who never need to travel with their miniatures and know their crowd will handle with care might choose to do some upgrading.

Andy Blozinski
10-05-2013, 19:01
I'm going to reserve judgement on if the solid connecting area bugs me or not for when I get them in my hands. I just wish the masts were easily removable and yet sturdy.

7eat51
10-06-2013, 07:37
If skill allows, I would consider "upgrading" a couple of ships, more for marketing than anything else. I wouldn't do so with most of the ships I would take to cons because I want folks to see game components as is. I think it would be nice, though, to have a couple of upgrades so folks can see potential ideas for customization.

Several of the experienced AoS mini players, here, have stated, on multiple occasions, about not worrying too much concerning handling.

Devsdoc
10-06-2013, 08:50
I'm not buying into the ships, but as the rules have different sail settings, I would think that to make the masts and sails in two parts for the player to glue together would not be to hard to do. Or cast them in two parts and glue before shipping out would solve this problem. But that is money talking. higher cost! :sad: I think it would be hard to remove the plastic now. It is one of many things you must just put up with. To just take the ship out of the box and play, you must except things like this. I like the rules. But sorry not the models. But I do wish you all fun with this game. :salute:
Be safe
Rory

Nightmoss
10-06-2013, 09:43
Having seen the final production ships in person I don't think that extra plastic is all that disconcerting to the overall appeal of the ships. They're striking any way you look at them. Ratlines, either brass of plastic will go a long way to cover up the parts that might bother some folks. Add any rigging on top of that and you wont even see it, especially if you're more than one foot away from the ship itself.

So, while custom sails might be cool I'd rather see the ratlines added to supplement the overall effect of the ship?

Devsdoc
10-06-2013, 13:49
Having seen the final production ships in person I don't think that extra plastic is all that disconcerting to the overall appeal of the ships. They're striking any way you look at them. Ratlines, either brass of plastic will go a long way to cover up the parts that might bother some folks. Add any rigging on top of that and you wont even see it, especially if you're more than one foot away from the ship itself.

So, while custom sails might be cool I'd rather see the ratlines added to supplement the overall effect of the ship?

Hi Jim,
I saw and had a game with the ships in June. I have also seen the newer models here on this site. I'm sorry, but I cannot get the "Toy look" out of my head! For me the masts are a cost cutting exercise at the price of the look of the ship. The bases too do give it the "toy like" look. The one thing I think is not bad is the paint job.
I will always help and support the game, players and my shipmates here. But I cannot just change my glasses and see them differently.
I too like the rat-line supplement idea.
Be safe
Rory