PDA

View Full Version : Continuous Fire (optional rule)

Pseudotheist
09-21-2013, 17:33
This one seems weird to me. If your ship happens to be on an even damage number I'm having trouble imagining scenarios where you'd be better off reloading for a full shot. I'm sure you can come up with some (your opponent will magically be out of range next turn, but back in the tunr after), but in general, why would I want to deal no damage this turn and full damage next (if I'm in range) when I can deal half damage every turn? It's like the dollar cost averaging of broadsides.

More importantly, does this accurately reflect some common artillery tactic? I imagine when engaged, captains would give orders to fire cannons as soon as they are reloaded; maybe this is what is reflected. It feels odd in game terms though, like stripping away some of the decision making process of managing the cannons.

FWIW, I'd be totally down with it if the rule were somewhere along the lines of "You may plan a reload action and a fire action on the same side of the ship with empty cannons to fire for half damage, rounded up." Then at least it would be a minor benefit at the cost of an extra action, instead of an often beneficial action with no cost.

Insights?

David Manley
09-21-2013, 17:41
It does indeed reflect more ragged but continuous fire rather than full broadsides when all guns are loaded.

Andy Blozinski
09-21-2013, 18:29
You save yourself an action and ultimately you are not penalized in the results of your firepower. It should have been written that you have to expend the reloading action anyways.

OmegaLazarus
09-23-2013, 15:16
This one seems weird to me. If your ship happens to be on an even damage number I'm having trouble imagining scenarios where you'd be better off reloading for a full shot. I'm sure you can come up with some (your opponent will magically be out of range next turn, but back in the tunr after), but in general, why would I want to deal no damage this turn and full damage next (if I'm in range) when I can deal half damage every turn? It's like the dollar cost averaging of broadsides.

Insights?

There is one problem I see with that. Raking with low firepower.

When Raking with a firepower 2 ship, you are at a loss of firepower as you add the raking in first, then cut all in half and round down. So continuous raking fire is 1 per turn and steady normal raking fire is 3,0 (so 1.5 per turn).

As far as raking as a continuation of a battle, you are at a loss of total damage once raking starts, though you would be at an advantage while firing against the broadside. So, if you plan to rake after a short stint of sidelong firing, you will do more damage by load and fire assuming that you begin the raking with a loaded gun instead of an empty one. If you begin with an unloaded gun, it is at advantage to begin continuous fire at that point.

Another advantage to continuous fire (with even number broadside ships) that I didn't see mentioned is Total damage over turns. It isn't averaged, it is better

Total Damage over turns. If you stack up a normal load and fire versus a continuous fire you are always at an advantage with continuous fire in situations where both ships' guns start in the same state (either loaded or unloaded). Your damage fluctuates from Superior to equal. Since damage is finite in that a ship will sink, it seems better to be at advantage at some points as that may sink the enemy before the next equal damage round of firing. These situations follow, When both ships are loaded and fire and the one ship continuously fires, that ship is at an advantage every other round. When both ships are unloaded and one chooses to continuous fire while the other loads then fires, the continuous is again at advantage every other round.

All of these Total damage over turn figures as tested with a 4 broadside will show this easily (though the difference is slight in some cases).

Two methods of fire when moving from sidelong to raking with a loaded gun when first raking available- total damage is 14 normal or 13 continuous.

Two methods of fire when moving from sidelong to raking with a empty gun when first raking available- total damage is 8 normal or 11 continuous (damage is equal next turn, but fluctuates from equal to advantage for the continuous firer).

In all cases, I am assuming a small amount of turns, around 8. This is because I assume an end to the battle from sinkng or maneuvering out of shot.

Pseudotheist
09-23-2013, 15:36
It does indeed reflect more ragged but continuous fire rather than full broadsides when all guns are loaded.
Do you care to register an opinion on wether it's an accurate representation, and/or wether it makes the cannon management more robust or interesting?

David Manley
09-23-2013, 22:15
I think its an accurate representation in that it reflects the more normal method of independent fire when close battle was joined. As to the maths, I must admit I haven't sat down and worked through it.

OmegaLazarus
09-24-2013, 07:49
As to the maths, I must admit I haven't sat down and worked through it.

I did work it out some and it seems the advantage is to continuous fire in all but one case (broadside transition to rake with a loaded gun on the earliest rake aim). It seems continuous fire wins out all other situations. :question:

Unless I forgot to carry a 1 somewhere. :erk: