PDA

View Full Version : Get Pumped! Lets hype up this game to our friends and groups.

OmegaLazarus
09-19-2013, 14:37
I think one of the things that separates this game and WoG from other games is, to an extent, marketing. Historical groups generally only talk within themselves about related topics and those who don't consider themselves history buffs or armchair generals might be intimidated by the fact that these games incorporate reality and events (seeing a certain requisite knowledge of the era to play). Of course, this isn't true (though one might appreciate a game more if they hold all the subtleties of the age in their mind's eye), but they don't know that if we don't tell them. It's time to shout out how dynamic and epic these clashes were and how you can capture that with these games. Show these board gamers and 40k and x-wing players that historic clashes are more than faded glory and low technology. Here is an e-mail I sent out to my friends to get them ready for the event.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a backer for Sails of Glory. I got a sneak peek at the rules and I must say, I really like it. Once I get the game, I want to set up a "Fleet Day" for us to get together.

I have everything needed to play and host and will have read the rules in advance and set the game up with our scenarios. Like Wings of Glory, we will do the basic rules to get used to it and then step up to advanced if everyone feel comfortable after the first short game.

The system is intuitive and uses a similar card based movement as that of Wings of Glory, but there is more to do and more information to keep. Instead of piloting a small fabric plane with nothing more for company than the birds of the air and Jerry artillery, you will be Commanding a man o' war.

These are the weapons of mass destruction of the Napoleonic wars. Each ship made with equal parts sailor and spar, all with hearts of oak. A platform bristling with guns and packed with sails to out-maneuver the enemy and give them their due. Fear the mighty cannon and carronades, but don't forget the top men, braced in the rigging with muskets ready to punish any Captain that bears within pistol shot. Take full advantage of the wind and sail smartly and you will live to fight again. Fly foolishly into battle or trust too much in the fickle sea and there will be the devil to pay and no pitch hot.

Will you fight in the name of Emperor Napoleon I and extend his unquestioned dominance on the continent into the seas?
Or, will you fight for the glorious King George III and prove that the United Kingdom, as an island nation, will not be bested?

Will you command a agile Frigate and bring the fight to the enemy or will you captain a regal ship o' the line and punish the enemy with a massive weight of lead?

You don't have to decide now, but you will soon if you accept the challenge!

David Manley
09-19-2013, 14:53
That sounds pretty damned evocative. Well done :)

Diamondback
09-19-2013, 15:53
The only problem is those of us who see Napoleon and George III as equal-sized turds in different wrappers... yes, us impudent "backwards rebellious colonials". LOL

Nicely written, and as the gentleman above said, VERY evocative and inspirational. Bravo Zulu--let us know what kind of results it gets!

7eat51
09-19-2013, 19:35
Well done, Japheth. :thumbsup:

I think I will do the same. With the KS time of arrival, Thanksgiving weekend might be a good time for such an event. Most of my friends probably won't be watching football, or as one illustrious member so eloquently pointed out the other day, handegg.

Cmmdre
09-19-2013, 20:01
Clear the gangway and lets set sail for gaming. Great note Japheth. Gets me PUMPED! :steer:

Berthier
09-20-2013, 03:29
Great suggestion Japheth...pumped indeed!

HMS Lydia
09-20-2013, 10:18
Great message. Everyone is pumped here in St. Louis. We have a local Con in November (Command Con, November 8-10) and SoG was going to be on the roster. Unfortunately there will not be enough lead time in shipping the materials to ensure a smooth presentation at the con. There is a very large group of soon to be players here, so as soon it arrives I'm sure anchors will be weighed and broadsides will be excanged.

Bob

7eat51
09-20-2013, 18:58
Great message. Everyone is pumped here in St. Louis. We have a local Con in November (Command Con, November 8-10) and SoG was going to be on the roster. Unfortunately there will not be enough lead time in shipping the materials to ensure a smooth presentation at the con. There is a very large group of soon to be players here, so as soon it arrives I'm sure anchors will be weighed and broadsides will be excanged.

Bob

Don't give up the ship yet. I might have a demo set sent for Rock-Con at the end of October. If that comes through, maybe we can arrange something with Keith, if the set is not spoken for elsewhere. Seems like a good excuse to meet Bob.

Cpt Kangaroo
09-20-2013, 22:00
Japheth,

You have touched on a core issue with this hobby. How to ensure its future by increasing interested members. You have instinctively started a process which will increase the numbers in your area and hopefully introduce new gamers to our world. We have all got to do our part to ensure the future of this hobby. Great job on the promo and good luck.

And as Eric said, don't give up yet...

Comte de Brueys
09-30-2013, 08:59
Nice statement, Japeth.

That's the kind of speach a RN recruting officer would use in a tavern in Portsmouth.

"Subscribe young hero!" (...or we will pressgang you when leaving the tavern.) :sly:

HMS Lydia
09-30-2013, 11:55
Don't give up the ship yet. I might have a demo set sent for Rock-Con at the end of October. If that comes through, maybe we can arrange something with Keith, if the set is not spoken for elsewhere. Seems like a good excuse to meet Bob.

Eric,

Is there only one session at Rockcon on Sunday? If I can talk the better half into it, I might be able to come up for Sunday. Not too concerned with demo'ing at Command Con it is a very small con (about 75 attendees) and about half the local club has bought in in one way or another. I definitely need to run this at Diecon next June (500 attendees). That will draw in some new players!

Bob

csadn
09-30-2013, 14:29
I need to figure out where to get a 4' x 6' version of my avatar made; hang that behind the playing area.... >:)

Gunner
09-30-2013, 16:15
Will you fight in the name of Emperor Napoleon I and extend his unquestioned dominance on the continent into the seas?
Or, will you fight for the glorious King George III and prove that the United Kingdom, as an island nation, will not be bested?[/B]

Neither, My ships:minis: (at least some of them after repainting) will fight for Alexander the Blessed.:swordleft:

David Manley
09-30-2013, 16:51
Neither, My ships:minis: (at least some of them after repainting) will fight for Alexander the Blessed.:swordleft:

Any relation to Brian (the) Blessed?

Gunner
09-30-2013, 17:03

Alexander the Blessed, Conqueror of Napoleon Paperback – January 1, 1978

by Thomas Brooks Jones (Author)

Pick it up. A good read.

Devsdoc
09-30-2013, 17:05

Good God! David. (Said in a Brian like loud voice) Do you think that the colonial chappy's would know of him? :happy: O.K. maybe Star Wars 2
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
09-30-2013, 17:28
Good God! David. (Said in a Brian like loud voice) Do you think that the colonial chappy's would know of him? :happy: O.K. maybe Star Wars 2
Be safe
Rory

Brian the blessed? Isn't he a cousin of Robin Hood & King Arthur?

Cmmdre
09-30-2013, 19:41

Be safe
Rory

Life of Brian? Now that's hilarious.

Andy Blozinski
10-01-2013, 04:59
And here I was thinking of Brian from Family Guy.

Devsdoc
10-01-2013, 09:54
Alexander the Blessed, Conqueror of Napoleon Paperback – January 1, 1978

by Thomas Brooks Jones (Author)

Pick it up. A good read.

Brian the blessed? Isn't he a cousin of Robin Hood & King Arthur?

Life of Brian? Now that's hilarious.

And here I was thinking of Brian from Family Guy.

I told you so David! :erk:
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
10-01-2013, 09:59
Eric,

Is there only one session at Rockcon on Sunday? If I can talk the better half into it, I might be able to come up for Sunday. Not too concerned with demo'ing at Command Con it is a very small con (about 75 attendees) and about half the local club has bought in in one way or another. I definitely need to run this at Diecon next June (500 attendees). That will draw in some new players!

Bob

Hi Bob,

I am slated for the morning slot. This does not mean an additional game is out-of-bounds. If you're going to make the drive, we'll play more. Do you think you would go days besides just Sunday?

Eric

Gunner
10-01-2013, 11:18
I told you so David! :erk:
Be safe
Rory

Let's not get too uppity. If China didn't hold the mortgage on the U.S.:moneygone:, we could buy the U.K. right after our great, great, great grandchildren paid off our debts.:happy::takecover:

David Manley
10-01-2013, 12:03
Good God! David. (Said in a Brian like loud voice) Do you think that the colonial chappy's would know of him? :happy:

'nuff said :happy:

Gunner
10-01-2013, 12:46
Have any music by Queen to go with the picture?

David Manley
10-01-2013, 12:57
Better than that......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnTHypbLlkE

Did I mention I've just got into War Rocket? :D

Gunner
10-01-2013, 13:01
Better than that......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnTHypbLlkE

Did I mention I've just got into War Rocket? :D

Video won't play in the U.S. on copyright grounds