PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Building HMS Leopard

Wear Ship Dave
09-18-2013, 09:38
So, I've been attempting to scratch build HMS Leopard in 1:1000 scale. Something to do while we await the release of the SoG.

I have been recording the project progress in the Blogs section of the site.

Here's a link to the first Blog Entry: http://www.sailsofglory.org/entry.php?6-My-attempt-at-scratch-building-HMS-Leopard

For those of you not familiar with the Blog feature, as you finish reading an entry, there will be a "Prev" and "Next" at the bottom which you may use to advance to the next entry or return to a previous entry. Then, of course, below that is an area to comment.

Here's just a small sample of some of what you will find in the Blog.

Cheers!

7eat51
09-18-2013, 09:54
Dave, your blog entries and work are very impressive and informative. Well done, Sir. :hatsoff:

Rabbit
09-18-2013, 09:56
If you can achieve this level of skill, why wait for the "Sails" models

nice work!

rabbit

Wear Ship Dave
09-18-2013, 12:18
If you can achieve this level of skill, why wait for the "Sails" models

nice work!

rabbit

Well... The thing is... I have several hours invested in this one ship already. While I do think I would be able to build future ships more quickly, having flattened the learning curve a bit, it's still going to be quite the time investment.

As for skill, once you know a few tricks, shaping balsa is really pretty simple to do. I would encourage everyone to give it a try. It opens up a lot of possibilities.

Wear Ship Dave
09-18-2013, 18:19
Not a lot of hobby time today, so a small update this evening.

I've just posted up Blog entry #6. You can find it here, if you're so inclined: http://www.sailsofglory.org/entry.php?11-Scratch-Building-HMS-Leopard-Part-6

Here's a little taste...

The Barrelman
09-19-2013, 11:52
You got skill. I would end up cutting my thumb off. :erk:

QfunK!
09-19-2013, 19:22
Stunning!

Volunteer
09-19-2013, 22:23
Dave, have you thought about useing your Leopard as a master to make a mold? You could pour several ships for a fleet of sister ships that wouldn't take you near as much time on. Just paint and rig.

Vol

Wear Ship Dave
09-19-2013, 23:09
Dave, have you thought about useing your Leopard as a master to make a mold? You could pour several ships for a fleet of sister ships that wouldn't take you near as much time on. Just paint and rig.

Vol

The thought had occurred to me. Although, I think I should have done a few things a little differently to simplify the mold making process. Perhaps I'll do another when this one is complete with an eye toward making it into a mold.

Moideeb
09-20-2013, 04:24
Hi Dave,

Thats really impressive! I can't even fathom the idea of scratch building a ship. I take my hat off to you sir, its looking great! I Can't wait to see the finished article :hatsoff:

Gunner
09-20-2013, 13:45
WOW, the skill members of this site have, never ceases to amaze me:envy:.
Well done Dave.

Wear Ship Dave
09-20-2013, 20:36
Another busy day of real world stuff... So, not a lot of time for HMS Leopard... But I did get a little bit done.

You can see the full blog of part 7 here: http://www.sailsofglory.org/entry.php?12-Scratch-Building-HMS-Leopard-Part-7

Here's a couple sample photos

Enjoy! Cheers!

Naharaht
09-22-2013, 10:32
You are a very skillful modeller, Dave. :thumbsup:

Comte de Brueys
09-28-2013, 01:49
Great project, David!

Amazing what you're doing in this tiny scale. :shock:

Wear Ship Dave
09-28-2013, 09:55
Great project, David!

Amazing what you're doing in this tiny scale. :shock:

Thanks Sven! I've been away from it for a few days now... Busy with work stuff... Hopefully, I'll be back at it soon!

DeRuyter
10-01-2013, 08:31
Thanks Sven! I've been away from it for a few days now... Busy with work stuff... Hopefully, I'll be back at it soon!

After the HMS Leopard you'll be needing the USS Chesapeake!

Wear Ship Dave
10-03-2013, 11:38
After the HMS Leopard you'll be needing the USS Chesapeake!

I was actually considering that!

But first, I think I may take a shot at maybe a sloop, or brig. I like the idea of having several small ships attacking something much larger.

Moideeb
10-03-2013, 14:27
I was actually considering that!

But first, I think I may take a shot at maybe a sloop, or brig. I like the idea of having several small ships attacking something much larger.

Now that just makes me want to go and make HMS Leopard.

Your not hiding any deserters are you? :question::happy:

Volunteer
10-17-2013, 05:06
So Dave, we haven't seen anymore updates for a while now...........................................................:question::hmmm:

Wear Ship Dave
10-18-2013, 09:35
So Dave, we haven't seen anymore updates for a while now...........................................................:question::hmmm:

Ya... I've been slacking a little bit. Work has been keeping me pretty busy, which is a good thing. My limited modeling time has been directed at some 28mm Samurai miniatures. What it really amounts to is that I am waiting for a little inspiration on what to do about the windows... I'm just not satisfied with what I have now.

Maybe I should skip ahead for now. I think I may have a unique solution for sails that involves some sculpey, card stock, and liquid latex!

GrouperKicker
10-18-2013, 11:11
Just wondering, what is leaving you not satisfied about the windows?

Clipper1701
10-19-2013, 16:39
Ya... I've been slacking a little bit. Work has been keeping me pretty busy, which is a good thing. My limited modeling time has been directed at some 28mm Samurai miniatures. What it really amounts to is that I am waiting for a little inspiration on what to do about the windows... I'm just not satisfied with what I have now.

Maybe I should skip ahead for now. I think I may have a unique solution for sails that involves some sculpey, card stock, and liquid latex!

Now you have my attention! The sails need to be flexible and rigid at the same time, I am intrigued! I did a lot of paper making/molding in art school a long time ago-just after we moved from papyrus as I recall . . . I tried Japanese tissue paper and different fillers on my Mary Rose, too fragile but they look the part . . .

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h379/Revchaos/Mary%20Rose/2012-03-29_22-02-22_571.jpg (http://s1106.photobucket.com/user/Revchaos/media/Mary%20Rose/2012-03-29_22-02-22_571.jpg.html)

Gunner
10-19-2013, 17:00
Now that's what I call a 16th century pirate ship. I see at least three sheets to the wind.:g&t::rum::beer:

csadn
10-19-2013, 17:55
Now you have my attention! The sails need to be flexible and rigid at the same time, I am intrigued! I did a lot of paper making/molding in art school a long time ago-just after we moved from papyrus as I recall . . . I tried Japanese tissue paper and different fillers on my Mary Rose, too fragile but they look the part . . .

Oh, god -- someone has Given Clipper Ideas.... :)