PDA

View Full Version : Happy Sans-Culottides To All

csadn
09-17-2013, 16:08
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansculottides

7eat51
09-17-2013, 19:48
Today, then, would be the celebration of the day of virtue in honor of the helpful policies that have been enacted. It would be interesting to see how many countries would celebrate based on the new policies enacted in their country during the previous year.

Berthier
09-18-2013, 05:08
The calendar was not very popular in France and Napoleon quickly got rid of it when he took power. One of the issues if I remember correctly was that the traditional calendar gave a day of rest every Sunday but the Revolutionary calendar worked in ten day units with still only one day of rest. I don't think anyone mourned the passing!

csadn
09-18-2013, 16:43
The calendar was not very popular in France and Napoleon quickly got rid of it when he took power. One of the issues if I remember correctly was that the traditional calendar gave a day of rest every Sunday but the Revolutionary calendar worked in ten day units with still only one day of rest. I don't think anyone mourned the passing!

There were other problems, but that was one of them. I've seen references elsewhere claiming there were supposed to be two rest days each week (in essence creating the "four-day work week" :) ), but I can't confirm it.