PDA

View Full Version : The RN in the 1990s

David Manley
09-17-2013, 12:17
An interesting video on the RN in the 1990s, when I started mucking about with warships :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XaJtVG9Mcpo

Moideeb
09-17-2013, 15:20
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Coog
09-17-2013, 18:30
I was looking through one of my books on the Falkland War and started thinking about if Britain faced the same situation today, could they take back the Falklands. Even back then the RN had limited assets but succeeded through the extraordinary and heroic efforts of RN personnel making the most with what they had while taking some tragic losses. I was looking at what assets the RN has today and do not know if they have enough to even attempt such an endeavor again.

Naharaht
09-17-2013, 21:58
I agree with you. The Royal Navy now has less ships and no fixed-wing aircraft carriers.

David Manley
09-17-2013, 23:48
Fewer ships, but each one is significantly more capable than their predecessors. T45 for example (see my avatar) carries what is currently the world's most advanced and effective maritime anti air warfare system. It would be a brave (and probably short lived) pilot who engaged a task group protected by one of those). Frigates carry more capable anti surface warfare systems (plus they all have a more effective version of Sea Wolf than was used in 1982, and Sea Wolf proved there to be rather good). SSNs and TLAM - fills the strike gap until QEC and F-35 appears next decade. Maritime sea lift is much more capable and the kit that the marines and the Army would take in theatre is also much better. Imagine Apaches in the islands in 1982! and don't forget the very capable garrison and facilities on the islands themselves. Whilst I wouldn't say by any means that an operation to liberate the Falklands would be easy (and you'd have to stop just about every UK maritime task except CASD to do it), on the flip side there is only one country that is really in a position to take them (unless one postulates a US invasion, of course) and that country is, even with the best will in the world, in no position militarily to do it, their military having been gutted to a far greater extent.

Coog
09-18-2013, 00:23
It would be interesting to see an operation without any air cover. You're right about the current Argentine forces. There isn't much there. Off hand I can't think of another British controlled island that would be in danger of being invaded. The Falklands was an awkward situation for the United States with Argentina (but not to the degree of the UK) being a "friend" of the United States. In almost any other scenario with countries that would have challenged Britain, the United States would have provided full support with carrier group(s), instead of limited indirect support, and would do so today. I doubt we will ever see anything again like the Falklands War. It could be a good gaming scenario to create some modern hypothetical situation.

csadn
09-18-2013, 16:38
on the flip side there is only one country that is really in a position to take them (unless one postulates a US invasion, of course) and that country is, even with the best will in the world, in no position militarily to do it, their military having been gutted to a far greater extent.

Well, two (Argentina, and Brazil), but only one which actually tried to make a claim to the islands.

Hell, if Argentina wants to try again, I know a couple of authors who can equip enough troops to kick them off the islands, and get it done before the resolutions pass the Commons. (Hint: I am name-checked in _Some Golden Harbor_, _Darkship Thieves_, and _Carnifex_. >:) ) They may even let me command the air component; I've always wondered what sort of COIN bird a Van's product would make.... :)

(And the US part of the '82 invasion wouldn't have been awkward if Alexander Haig, like every other Secretary of State, wasn't convinced *he* ran the country, rather than the POTUS....)