PDA

View Full Version : Need input and ideas for a unique convention game idea

Andy Blozinski
09-16-2013, 19:03
Some guys from San Antonio run a great Canvas Eagles game that is completely fluid and open. You can walk up and fly a plane onto the battlefield any time and bring another in when you get shot down or run out of ammo or fuel. You can just walk off and do something else for a while if you feel like it and walk back to take another plane if you're in the mood. The guys sometimes put financial bounties on each other as a joke.
More local to me is a game convention that is run as a charity fund raiser for a school. Many charities run a raffle in which 50% of the ticket money sold goes to the winner and 50% goes to the charity. I'm thinking on combining all this into a Sails of Glory game. Here's the basic concept:
You pay something like $1 to $2 to bring a ship in. That is the bounty on your ship. If you sink someone else, their bounty transfers to your ship and now you have double the bounty money on your ship that it is transporting. If someone sinks you..then all your stored bounty transfers to their ship. At the end of the game, whoever is transporting the highest bounty wins. They get to keep half of all bounties on everyone's ships and the charity gets the other half. If there's a tie, then it goes to who is least damaged. Still a tie? Oh hell..flip a coin or make them do best of three on paper/scissors/rock. You can play more ships if you get sunk, but you have to buy in again for another $1-$2 every time.
I'm thinking I'll have to limit it to one ship class, probably frigates.

Any other thoughts or helpful suggestions and ideas are appreciated.

Wear Ship Dave
09-16-2013, 19:05
Include a point on the map for each side that has some shore batteries. If the shore batteries sink you, 100% of your bounty goes to the charity.

Andy Blozinski
09-16-2013, 19:15
T o reply to my own thread...
I keep forgetting about the existence of the captain and crew ability decks. I'm thinking maybe you could spend an extra $1 to get one card, but not allow more than one card so someone doesn't come in crazily unbalanced. I'm wondering if I should make them randomly draw the card as well.

Andy Blozinski
09-16-2013, 19:23
Include a point on the map for each side that has some shore batteries. If the shore batteries sink you, 100% of your bounty goes to the charity.
One of the school clubs sells food during the convention as a fundraiser. The funnier thing to do would be to use all the money from the ship sunk by the shore battery to buy food and drinks for the players. That way the charity is still getting money, but now we have celebratory supplies. If it's a small bounty that was sunk and we can't buy much, then the food goes to whoever is transporting the highest bounty at the time. That way everyone is jealous and wants to sink him even more.

7eat51
09-16-2013, 19:26
Andy, I like the idea, but I am inclined to have all the money go to charity, with the winner getting some other type of prize, for example a plaque. I think folks would enjoy it more knowing they are benefiting a charity, and it keeps the game friendly in that the absence of financial winnings tend to ease undue competitiveness. Unlike raffles and things of that nature, a game requires actively beating someone else. Cash prizes could be used for other games, but if charity is involved, I would make the focus charity. To extend the game, folks can start with lighter ships, progressing to heavier ships as their previous ones are sunk. This is similar to how Keith ran the tourney at Origins with players moving from early- to mid- to late-war planes. They could buy in for as many ships as they want, but they have to play them in order. If I play for an hour, am sunk, and want to return 2 hours later, I come in at the next level of ship from my last one. This would keep someone from joining only at the end in an attempt to be last one standing. They would have a seriously outgunned ship.

Andy Blozinski
09-16-2013, 19:38
Andy, I like the idea, but I am inclined to have all the money go to charity, with the winner getting some other type of prize, for example a plaque. I think folks would enjoy it more knowing they are benefiting a charity, and it keeps the game friendly in that the absence of financial winnings tend to ease undue competitiveness. Unlike raffles and things of that nature, a game requires actively beating someone else. Cash prizes could be used for other games, but if charity is involved, I would make the focus charity. To extend the game, folks can start with lighter ships, progressing to heavier ships as their previous ones are sunk. This is similar to how Keith ran the tourney at Origins with players moving from early- to mid- to late-war planes. They could buy in for as many ships as they want, but they have to play them in order. If I play for an hour, am sunk, and want to return 2 hours later, I come in at the next level of ship from my last one. This would keep someone from joining only at the end in an attempt to be last one standing. They would have a seriously outgunned ship.
I don't want to blow money on a plaque. This is only one game slot at a convention that isn't large. Large sums of money will not be involved. I'd have to give out some reward as bragging rights, though. This same game convention also runs one of the 50/50 ticket raffles that I mentioned before, so I'm OK with only 50% going to charity, although...your point about people getting too competitive is well taken. Maybe I could say they get a total free lunch at the booth that's selling food. I'll have to think more about that part.

I do like your idea about getting more powerful ships as you keep buying in. I'd say the only problem is that there isn't enough ship variety yet. This convention isn't until next year, so I'll have to see what's available by that point.

7eat51
09-16-2013, 19:44
If you wanted to do escalating ship power, would it be possible to start different ship classes with some type of handicap? This way, folks could play two frigates and two SoLs, for example, with the second ship in each class being more powerful than the first.

I agree about the bragging rights. Given that it is a one-game slot, I imagine most anything would suffice because expectations would not be as high as they would be with a longer game with more participants.

Andy Blozinski
09-16-2013, 19:56
If you wanted to do escalating ship power, would it be possible to start different ship classes with some type of handicap? This way, folks could play two frigates and two SoLs, for example, with the second ship in each class being more powerful than the first.

I agree about the bragging rights. Given that it is a one-game slot, I imagine most anything would suffice because expectations would not be as high as they would be with a longer game with more participants.
Right now I think the only problem is that there seems to be a huge disparity between frigates and ships of the line. When they're working together as a team vs team scenario, this is OK, but in this setting it is every man for himself, so a SOL will kick ass big time on the frigates. I could see about using the captain/crew deck as part of the escalation, instead of making them pay for it. You get one card on your second ship and two cards on your third. I'm not thinking anyone will go past 3 ships.

Wear Ship Dave
09-16-2013, 19:58
I don't want to blow money on a plaque.

You could do certificates, no need to frame them. For a few dollars, at your local Wal-Mart, you can purchase Parchment Certificate paper and make your own awards for very little. Heck you get 25 sheets, so you can have awards for all kinds of things. Come up with ways to promote them a little, and you might even draw more folks to your table and raise more money.

7eat51
09-16-2013, 20:04
Very true about the pronounced difference in ship classes. The cards could very well offer a good solution. Please let us know what you finally decide and how it works.

I really like the idea of a charity game and the use of a bounty. Your mention of team opens up other possibilities. I could envision some interesting annual team games played for charity.

Wear Ship Dave
09-16-2013, 20:05
Another idea to raise money...

Build a port area for each side. Allow anyone who sails into port and docks to pay a fee into the bounty on his or her ship to repair damage.

7eat51
09-16-2013, 20:18
If it is an all-day event, especially with team play, you could even run bounty ashore to a fortress that, subsequently, could be attacked by the other side. There could be merchant ships, etc. There would be tradeoffs in sending ships to port by taking them out of the fight for treasure on the seas, but there is the tradeoff of not unloading treasure as well and being captured. The main obstacle seems to be the playing time. Again, if something like this becomes an annual event, the possibilities for subsequent years really opens up if momentum builds. Early on, you're probably limited to small-scale individual ships.

Diamondback
09-16-2013, 20:19
Good ideas all around, sounds like a fun game!

But if you AREN'T sunk with your frigate and everyone else is bringing in SOL's, shouldn't you have some option to Keep Up With The Joneses without having to make a trip into the Locker yourself?

7eat51
09-16-2013, 20:28
But if you AREN'T sunk with your frigate and everyone else is bringing in SOL's, shouldn't you have some option to Keep Up With The Joneses without having to make a trip into the Locker yourself?

Possibly buying an SoL with some of your bounty?

kelsith
09-16-2013, 22:32
Or perhaps at port you could upgrade your ship to the next level for half price...so $2 if your sunk and need to restart a new ship or $1 if you want to just skip the whole getting sunk and respawning thing.

If so though I would say you can only upgrade to the current tech level. For example if you do no card frigate --> 1 card frigate --> 2 card frigate --> 3 card frigate ---> no card SOL, you can't just spend $4 at port to go straight to SOL if the highest ship anyone else has is a 2 card frigate, but you could upgrade to a 2 card frigate.

Wear Ship Dave
09-16-2013, 22:45
Possibly buying an SoL with some of your bounty?

Perhaps, but if raising money for a charity, you don't want to have any "leaks"... So, if they upgrade there, there should be no loss of what the charity gets... I would require an additional contribution, if it were me. The natural instinct of gamers is to spend money to improve their "stats"...

Take advantage of that. If you can do it in a way that is challenging, exciting, AND fun, you will do well in raising money for your cause...

AND... If you have a community that is already familiar with "THE GAME" you are playing, you can probably double and/or triple the costs. A player is waaaaay more likely to "risk" money on a game he/she FEELS comfortable playing.

Andy Blozinski
09-17-2013, 20:29
Or perhaps at port you could upgrade your ship to the next level for half price...so $2 if your sunk and need to restart a new ship or $1 if you want to just skip the whole getting sunk and respawning thing.

If so though I would say you can only upgrade to the current tech level. For example if you do no card frigate --> 1 card frigate --> 2 card frigate --> 3 card frigate ---> no card SOL, you can't just spend $4 at port to go straight to SOL if the highest ship anyone else has is a 2 card frigate, but you could upgrade to a 2 card frigate.

It will be interesting to see how much bonus the cards give. That scheme you have above is the likely escalation path. I'll have to see about the idea of adding a "port" to dock for repairs or upgrades. I figure I'll make the board fairly narrow so bad things happen fast, but I would like to give new entries at least one turn on the board for just maneuver. The one thing I need to figure out is doing the wind. I don't want the whole game to shunt to one side of the board and get stuck there. We'll have to see what random wind direction rules there and modify as necessary.
For the theme explanation, I'm thinking pirates. It's every man for himself and you're going to pillage other ships. It fits.

CHolgren
09-18-2013, 06:11
Andy, could you reduce the pot? 25% to the winner, 50% to the charity directly, and 25% for food? Charity ultimately ends up with 75%, but a smaller pot might reduce ugly play. Or the winner has his fees refunded.

CHolgren
09-18-2013, 06:19
Also, as a ship advances could you allow others, buying in at a later time, to have crew upgrades to balance out someone starting with a frigate versus a more advanced SOL. It would at least seem that someone coming in late would have a chance at winning against someone who had advanced their ship and crew to an unstoppable SOL.

I ran a subbuteo league for years and was always able to get medals/plaques for $5-10 through crown sports, so that's an option for bashing rights and gives the charity more.

The Royal Hajj
09-18-2013, 07:22
I'm liking quite a few of the ideas put forth in this thread. I foresee the players gaining up on the person that has the most bounty on their ship after a few have been sunk. I think this will escalate quickly once it starts... blood in the water so to speak. It would be interesting to see if all the frigates gang up on the first SOL, even though he has no real bounty on him at the time. Or, if SOLs go after each other if the frigates stay out of their way.

I would personally use poker chips to keep track of the bounty on each ship. Seeing a stack of chips on the ship mat of a player would make him a tempting target!

If this is everyman for himself, I would not use the port feature. I would think you would get at least one player that just sits and camps out at the fort entrance waiting for the wounded ships to come in with all their bounty. Team play would change that aspect of it.

Also, the wind is always going to "push" the game towards one end of the table. The wind change rule is not going to be enough to solve this... at most it will change one point (from say, North to North East) every two turns. The way the mechanics work I expect the wind to change directions maybe 2-3 times in a normal length game. And that could be from N, to NE, and back to N. One way to help with the frigate vs SOL issue is to re-spawn the SOLs down wind. That would give the frigates the option to engage the SOLs or not... until the big guys work their way up the table. Keep in mind that could make for a long and tedious game towards the end if it's just a frig and SOL left.

Andy Blozinski
09-18-2013, 18:19
I love the poker chip idea! Sold. Your point about ganging up and blood in the water is something I'm counting on. It will be really funny if 2-3 people gang up on the top bounty ship and then whoever got the death blow on it now suddenly becomes the center of attention amidst those that were once his allies. After I get a look at the rules, maybe I'll modify them and claim a storm has made the wind more unpredictable.

7eat51
09-18-2013, 19:17
I think if you lay out the house rules prior to the game, and then ease the storm in so folks start having a chance to react, you should be fine. You can mention in the beginning that storms are possible, and what the range of effects can be. This could actually heighten things when you announce a storm is brewing. Given that this game is one slot, I would consider a house rule instead of the official rules of wind change and strength. Maybe something like rolling a d10: 1-5 nothing happens, 6-7 change one clockwise, 8-9 change one counterclockwise, 10 a storm is coming. If a storm hits, on the next turn, 1-4, one clockwise, 5 two clockwise, 6-9 one counterclockwise, 10 two counterclockwise. On the next turn, 1-3 one clockwise, 4 two clockwise, 5 three clockwise, 6-8 one counterclockwise, 9 two counterclockwise, 10 three counterclockwise. So basically, if a storm kicks in, each of the subsequent turns, the wind will change, and will change increasingly. You can roll a d6 or something to determine how many rounds the storm will last, with 1-2 three turns, 3-4 four turns, 5-6 five turns. On the last turn you can ease up on wind changes and mention that the storm is subsiding. Maybe some such mechanism could work.

The Royal Hajj
09-18-2013, 19:35
The way the rules are written, you randomly draw tokens each turn. Whenever two tokens of the same direction (clockwise or counter clockwise) have been pulled with out pulling one in the opposite direction, the wind changes in the direction of the two tokens. If you pull an opposite token, both tokens are discarded and it starts over. There are also blank tokens that can be pulled. These do not reset the wind, but can prolong the time it takes to change directions.

You could easily accelerate the changes by only requiring a token to effect the wind. That might make sailing very difficult since you are planning your moves 1 card ahead based on what you think the wind is going to be.

Another easy option would be to just gradually change the wind 180 degrees. For example, the first X number of turns, the wind is out of the North. Then it changes one point each turn until it is coming out of the South.

Andy Blozinski
09-18-2013, 20:02
Another easy option would be to just gradually change the wind 180 degrees. For example, the first X number of turns, the wind is out of the North. Then it changes one point each turn until it is coming out of the South.
This is probably the easiest and least disrupting way to handle it. "Hey guys, a storm just rolled in". Then tell them the wind is rotating in said direction.

Wear Ship Dave
09-18-2013, 20:06
This is probably the easiest and least disrupting way to handle it. "Hey guys, a storm just rolled in". Then tell them the wind is rotating in said direction.

I agree. Although, I might give some forewarning a few turns ahead. "Captains, the sky to the South East is becoming black and threatening."

7eat51
09-18-2013, 20:38
I agree with the forewarning, otherwise folks might feel like you are being arbitrary in throwing in a sudden wind change, especially if a prize is at stake. Ultimately, you have to ask what is the goal of a wind change, and how will players feel, especially since we're not necessarily talking about long-standing SoG players or players used to unexpected changes.

Wear Ship Dave
09-18-2013, 20:43
I agree with the forewarning, otherwise folks might feel like you are being arbitrary in throwing in a sudden wind change, especially if a prize is at stake. Ultimately, you have to ask what is the goal of a wind change, and how will players feel, especially since we're not necessarily talking about long-standing SoG players or players used to unexpected changes.

In addition, I think that there is value in creating a sense of foreboding and urgency in any game.

kelsith
09-18-2013, 21:19
Another possibility considering how long the game might go to avoid the eventual down wind gathering would be to ahead of time put a long tablecloth of some kind down but put it mostly to the windward side. Before the game starts tell everyone when the last ship exits the upwind mat the next mat will open for play to the downwind side. Then basically you take everything off of mat 1, pull the tablecloth slowly to make the downwind mat where the upwind one was, and place the old mat 1 as mat 3.

You could even have a pre-designed land placement schematic for the next mat as well so that there would be a bit of an exploration effect.

I would obviously test this before trying to see how much stuff slides around if you try it, but my old gaming group used to do this all the time for Carcassonne so that the inevitable problem of everybody expanding in the same direction wouldn't put us off the table. We used a cheap felt-y type material from a fabric store and we suffered very little if any continental shifting of the cardboard tiles or meeples when we did pull the world closer to one end. It seems with the added weight of these components it may also work.

If this does work it may actually work well for battle up a river-type scenarios as well.

Andy Blozinski
10-05-2013, 20:37
I really REALLY like the poker chip idea. I could get some cheap gold plastic coins, but that's so typical and formulaic. Poker chips with a jolly roger on them would be really damned cool. You'd think....you'd think..this is something you can buy. Pirate themed poker chips. Think again. Nobody sells poker chips with a jolly roger on them, or even just some pirate theme. Custom chips are crazy expensive. I was hoping to give them away as souvenirs to anybody that played the game. I did find a few that had skulls.
The nearby Renaissance festival opens next weekend. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have something there that'll substitute.

Diamondback
10-05-2013, 20:58
Andy, formulaic or not, it IS period... and they're cheap.

Andy Blozinski
10-06-2013, 07:21
I don't think typical non-memorable cheap fakey gold coins that everyone has seen over and over would have anywhere near the coolness factor of poker chips with a jolly roger. Poker chips also stack well by design. It really sucks nobody makes a poker chip with a jolly roger. I did find something as a back-up.
Check out these replica doubloons and note the cross symbol on them:
http://www.greatamericancoincompany.com/c5/Shiny-Gold-Doubloon-Replicas-You-Choose-Quantity-p184.html

Now...casinos have to periodically dump their chips and replace them with a new design for a variety of reasons. The surplus get sold off cheap. Check out these laser etched gold poker chips and....the cross symbol on them:
http://www.pokerchipswholesale.com/bulk-poker-chips/ultimate-14-gram/25-ultimate-1-000-poker-chips.html

Holy crap...that's a cool fusion of the modern and the old. I'm kind of torn now which one to get. The doubloon replicas are nice, but more forgettable.

Devsdoc
10-06-2013, 09:11
Another possibility considering how long the game might go to avoid the eventual down wind gathering would be to ahead of time put a long tablecloth of some kind down but put it mostly to the windward side. Before the game starts tell everyone when the last ship exits the upwind mat the next mat will open for play to the downwind side. Then basically you take everything off of mat 1, pull the tablecloth slowly to make the downwind mat where the upwind one was, and place the old mat 1 as mat 3.

You could even have a pre-designed land placement schematic for the next mat as well so that there would be a bit of an exploration effect.

I would obviously test this before trying to see how much stuff slides around if you try it, but my old gaming group used to do this all the time for Carcassonne so that the inevitable problem of everybody expanding in the same direction wouldn't put us off the table. We used a cheap felt-y type material from a fabric store and we suffered very little if any continental shifting of the cardboard tiles or meeples when we did pull the world closer to one end. It seems with the added weight of these components it may also work.

If this does work it may actually work well for battle up a river-type scenarios as well.

We just move all the ships and terrain up, down or across the table a set number of inches, feet or cm to make space to play. We add or remove terrain as need be. We give any ship which ends up off the table is given a number of moves to get back on the table if the player wishes.
Be safe
Rory

Andy Blozinski
10-06-2013, 12:23
I've got three mats on order. I was thinking on cutting it down to two mats for this scenario to make it more of a knife fight and just declare the edges solid so no one could run away. This also solves the problem of what do I do with someone's bounty if they sail off the board or what if someone has a huge bounty near the end and they just try running away from everyone?
After seeing that impressive classy Hurricon set-up surrounded by terrain, I'm kind of thinking that would be a less contrived route to take. Go back to using three mats, but occupy some of the space with surrounding terrain to compact it back down and this also gives a plausible reason why you can't sail off the edge of the board. Basically it's a pirate fight in a harbor. I'm going to leave some edge or opening available, though, as every time someone brings in a new ship...it has to come from somewhere.

SeaRoyal20
01-09-2014, 13:02
As opposed to a yearly plaque how about just one where you can add a name each year? Make it sort of a hall of fame idea. Then it is just the cost of one plaque and some ingraving each year.

The Royal Hajj
01-09-2014, 13:15
I've got three mats on order. I was thinking on cutting it down to two mats for this scenario to make it more of a knife fight and just declare the edges solid so no one could run away. This also solves the problem of what do I do with someone's bounty if they sail off the board or what if someone has a huge bounty near the end and they just try running away from everyone?
After seeing that impressive classy Hurricon set-up surrounded by terrain, I'm kind of thinking that would be a less contrived route to take. Go back to using three mats, but occupy some of the space with surrounding terrain to compact it back down and this also gives a plausible reason why you can't sail off the edge of the board. Basically it's a pirate fight in a harbor. I'm going to leave some edge or opening available, though, as every time someone brings in a new ship...it has to come from somewhere.

Have the wind blowing right into the harbor opening. That will get the new ships in to the action fast and keep most of the ships from trying to sail up wind and out of the game... too many other ships shooting at their always tacking ship ;)

And remember to keep the terrain low so people are not bumping into it.

Andy Blozinski
01-09-2014, 20:44
Have the wind blowing right into the harbor opening. That will get the new ships in to the action fast and keep most of the ships from trying to sail up wind and out of the game... too many other ships shooting at their always tacking ship ;)

And remember to keep the terrain low so people are not bumping into it.

I'd definitely not put any terrain in the middle. Terrain would only be around the edges to keep it a cage fight. I'm really excited at the prospect to be able to use sloops and the larger frigates for this. Of course, it really would be nice if I actually had the base game....
Mag-Con is only 3 months away and that was where I wanted to try this out. I'm doubting the wave 2 will be out in time.
http://www.magcon.org/

Coog
01-09-2014, 21:00
I'm really excited at the prospect to be able to use sloops and the larger frigates for this. Of course, it really would be nice if I actually had the base game....
Mag-Con is only 3 months away and that was where I wanted to try this out. I'm doubting the wave 2 will be out in time.

Maybe some pre-production loaners will be available.

Cpt Kangaroo
01-09-2014, 22:05
I am a fan of a no holds barred race, where broadsides can be used to throw others off course, shoals and narrows etc. every player for themselves and may the best or most devious sailer win.

The Royal Hajj
01-10-2014, 06:00
I'd definitely not put any terrain in the middle. Terrain would only be around the edges to keep it a cage fight. I'm really excited at the prospect to be able to use sloops and the larger frigates for this. Of course, it really would be nice if I actually had the base game....

I can assure you Wave 2 will not be out by then.

Maybe some pre-production loaners will be available.

To the best of my knowledge there will be no pre-prodution loaners for the game going forward. That was really only done because of the delays in the KS.

Nightmoss
01-10-2014, 08:42
I can assure you Wave 2 will not be out by then.

Keith, if this is true then you need to tell Ares to change Update #53 on Kickstarter. I'm pretty sure I've seen other references to a March release for Wave 2 as well.

With the experience achieved with the production of the first wave of ships, the pre-production on these models went ahead smoothly. As you can see from the photo above, pre-production samples are ready, and we can realistically expect the production to be ready in February (immediately before, or immediately after the Chinese New Year holiday) and to be in our warehouse in March.

The Royal Hajj
01-10-2014, 09:05
Keith, if this is true then you need to tell Ares to change Update #53 on Kickstarter. I'm pretty sure I've seen other references to a March release for Wave 2 as well.

I'm basing that on the Chinese holiday ending on the 6th of Feb. So if they ship it out by the end of that week, 4 weeks transit time across the ocean, 1 week for customs,another week to get to the warehouse, and than a week to get to stores/backers, that puts it in our hands around the 3rd or 4th week of March... so I guess it could make it in time. But I think those time frames I gave are optimistic. I don't think the factory is going to have them shipped out until the end of Feb based on past data.

DeRuyter
01-10-2014, 09:19
Here is another idea for raising money for a charity that I have seen. I participated in a WAB games day at the Compleat Strategist in NYC a couple of years ago as a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society (one of the WAB tournament regulars had cancer and recently passed away). There was a small entry fee and "dice offs" between rounds for prizes. Players purchased the dice used for the roll offs, for example 4 dice for $1.00. Then everyone rolled looking for a certain number, say 4-6 keeping only those dice until the last player with dice remaining won the prize. Prizes were donated by miniatures companies (Perry, Gripping Beast) and all the proceeds when directly to the charity.

Just another idea to throw in. You could have a dice off for ships or abilities, etc at the beginning of the game.

Eric

The Royal Hajj
01-10-2014, 09:45
Here is another idea for raising money for a charity that I have seen. I participated in a WAB games day at the Compleat Strategist in NYC a couple of years ago as a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society (one of the WAB tournament regulars had cancer and recently passed away). There was a small entry fee and "dice offs" between rounds for prizes. Players purchased the dice used for the roll offs, for example 4 dice for $1.00. Then everyone rolled looking for a certain number, say 4-6 keeping only those dice until the last player with dice remaining won the prize. Prizes were donated by miniatures companies (Perry, Gripping Beast) and all the proceeds when directly to the charity.

Just another idea to throw in. You could have a dice off for ships or abilities, etc at the beginning of the game.

Eric

That's interesting. Were you able to buy more than four dice to increase your chances of winning?

DeRuyter
01-10-2014, 10:11
That's interesting. Were you able to buy more than four dice to increase your chances of winning?

Certainly! You could buy 10, 20, 30 dice for a roll off. I went to another charity event with some Warlord Games box set as prizes and someone bought 50 dice (and didn't win it!).

Cpt Kangaroo
01-10-2014, 10:49
Eric, I think you may have hit on something here.

How about as you play, you earn dice for a big prize roll off at the end. The better you do, the more dice you will win.

(the details of how and how many to be determined)

That way everyone is kept in the game, you purhase your ship, and if you lose it, you can purchase another, all proceeds going into the kitty.

Most vendors are supportive of charity, and you never know what they can come up with provided they are credited with the donation, and so reduces the drain on the total donation.

If you are lucky, you can have a prize or more and have a big roll off in the end.

That would be very flexible and a lot of fun throughout the game.

Everyone would have a chance right through the end of the game and roll-off.

DeRuyter
01-10-2014, 10:52
Eric, I think you may have hit on something here.

How about as you play, you earn dice for a big prize roll off at the end. The better you do, the more dice you will win.

(the details of how and how many to be determined)

That way everyone is kept in the game, you purhase your ship, and if you lose it, you can purchase another, all proceeds going into the kitty.

Most vendors are supportive of charity, and you never know what they can come up with provided they are credited with the donation, and so reduces the drain on the total donation.

If you are lucky, you can have a prize or more and have a big roll off in the end.

That would be very flexible and a lot of fun throughout the game.

Everyone would have a chance right through the end of the game and roll-off.

Great idea!

The Royal Hajj
01-10-2014, 12:00
I like the idea of the bounties in the first post transferring into extra dice for a roll off at the end of the game. If you are giving out prizes, that means everyone will have a chance to win it, not just the good players (though they have a better chance which is fair). So buying in with a ship gives you two sets of dice. If you are sunk, the player that sank you gets one set and you keep the other. So even if you only buy in once you still have a shot at winning the prize at the end. If you buy in a second time, you again get to sets of dice. One to give away when sunk and one to keep... increasing your odds.

Nightmoss
01-10-2014, 13:08
I'm basing that on the Chinese holiday ending on the 6th of Feb. So if they ship it out by the end of that week, 4 weeks transit time across the ocean, 1 week for customs,another week to get to the warehouse, and than a week to get to stores/backers, that puts it in our hands around the 3rd or 4th week of March... so I guess it could make it in time. But I think those time frames I gave are optimistic. I don't think the factory is going to have them shipped out until the end of Feb based on past data.

With what we know about all the compounded delays I wish they'd not mentioned any specific month at all. I agree that it's unlikely to get in our hands by March. I expect April or later. They should have said something along the lines of 'late winter' or 'early spring'? Time will tell.

Berthier
01-10-2014, 15:43
With what we know about all the compounded delays I wish they'd not mentioned any specific month at all. I agree that it's unlikely to get in our hands by March. I expect April or later. They should have said something along the lines of 'late winter' or 'early spring'? Time will tell.

have to agree here, anytime in march seems wildly ambitious on their present form. I'd be saying May at a minimum, around the time my KS shipment arrives :shock: