PDA

View Full Version : USS Constitution 1/1200 Langton Build

Nightmoss
09-13-2013, 13:08
With the recent posts covering the War of 1812 and the USS Constitution I thought it was about time I try constructing something other than Spanish ships. I wont post any narratives on this ship as that's been adequately covered elsewhere. Photos below.

By the way. Would it be preferred that I start putting photos in an album rather than starting new threads? I don't wish to annoy anyone with continual, "here's my latest build" threads.

Volunteer
09-13-2013, 14:39
You certainly don't annoy me Jim. Looking at yours and other's latest builds is about the only reason I pull up the Anchorage anymore. Your skill and comments should definitely be shared IMO. Do you have a Blogsite where you post your work. If you don't, I strongly urge you to start one. That way if you decide to stop posting your work here at least there will be somewhere those of us that are interested can check periodically to see what you are doing.

Regards,
Vol

Moideeb
09-13-2013, 15:15
You certainly don't annoy me Jim. Looking at yours and other's latest builds is about the only reason I pull up the Anchorage anymore. Your skill and comments should definitely be shared IMO. Do you have a Blogsite where you post your work. If you don't, I strongly urge you to start one. That way if you decide to stop posting your work here at least there will be somewhere those of us that are interested can check periodically to see what you are doing.

Regards,
Vol

I second that. Keep the posts coming. I think if i tried this scale i would end up cross eyed. Amazing painting skills! Im still not sure how you do it.

Im sure i saw in someones thread that the USS Constitution set sail the other day? Its a shame The victory can't do the same, it would be pretty amazing to see a full ship of the line at sea.

7eat51
09-13-2013, 15:19
Absolutely beautiful work Jim. :hatsoff:

I cannot imagine anyone having a problem with your threads.

Wear Ship Dave
09-13-2013, 15:31
I love looking at what others have been building! Also, I love the quarter in some of the photos! Having a good frame of reference for the scale makes it all the more impressive!

Nightmoss
09-13-2013, 15:43
Thanks all, for the positive feedback. Next up will either be British or French.

Regards,
Vol

Thank you, Vol. I've never thought about doing a blog, but perhaps I'll look into it. I certainly enjoy yours and the posts you put up on The Miniatures Page. Other bloggers here have excellent stuff too.

I second that. Keep the posts coming. I think if i tried this scale i would end up cross eyed. Amazing painting skills! Im still not sure how you do it.

Im sure i saw in someones thread that the USS Constitution set sail the other day? Its a shame The victory can't do the same, it would be pretty amazing to see a full ship of the line at sea.

Seeing the HMS Victory sailing would be awesome! I don't know much about the USS Constitution to be honest, outside of the fact that it's still an active duty ship and has had over 60 captains in her career! And she can still sail!

csadn
09-13-2013, 15:59
Would it be preferred that I start putting photos in an album rather than starting new threads?

I would, but not for the reason you gave -- in my case: I would prefer you put pics in albums because putting them in threads means it takes 5-10 minutes for the thread to fully load, even on a broadband connection.

Nightmoss
09-13-2013, 16:03
I would, but not for the reason you gave -- in my case: I would prefer you put pics in albums because putting them in threads means it takes 5-10 minutes for the thread to fully load, even on a broadband connection.

That's certainly a good enough reason. Now I have to figure out how to start an album. :wink:

Devsdoc
09-13-2013, 17:50
Jim,
Love the model. English rig I see. Do both, album and threads. Do not stop posting. You make me work harder and better. Please don't stop the pic's :pray:
Be safe
Rory

kelsith
09-13-2013, 22:46
Personally I love the ship building threads here. The amazing skill I see in these threads impresses the heck out of me and is one of the reasons I kept coming back after the Kickstarter was over. The fact anyone can rig a ship that tiny without smashing it to bits boggles my mind.

Nightmoss
09-14-2013, 00:06
Jim,
Love the model. English rig I see. Do both, album and threads. Do not stop posting. You make me work harder and better. Please don't stop the pic's :pray:
Be safe
Rory

Yup, English rig. Based on what Rod Langton told me that's the way to do it. Interesting to rig that way after several Spanish ships. I like it, actually.

David Manley
09-14-2013, 02:13
Seeing the HMS Victory sailing would be awesome!

It would indeed. Pity her masts go through the keel and into the dock bottom :)

happy with posts, happy with albums, happy with whatever works best for you as I'm just happy that you are posting photos of your excellent work here.

Berthier
09-14-2013, 04:23
Lovely ship Jim, impressive rigging and basing too!

Cmmdre
09-14-2013, 07:24
Jim your work is inspiring. Please do not stop your postings.

Volunteer
09-14-2013, 19:54
Jim, can I make a suggestion? Instead of wrapping the pennant around the mainmast, you can attach a thread to the tip of the mast and to the mast just above the upper yard. Then attach your pennant to the thread. Just another way to do it my friend. The way you did it is fine too.

Regards,
Vol

Nightmoss
09-14-2013, 21:21
Jim, can I make a suggestion? Instead of wrapping the pennant around the mainmast, you can attach a thread to the tip of the mast and to the mast just above the upper yard. Then attach your pennant to the thread. Just another way to do it my friend. The way you did it is fine too.

Regards,
Vol

Always feel free to make suggestions. I'll have to try that on the next build. I think I've seen depictions of that in paintings, if not other minis builds. Thanks for the idea!