PDA

View Full Version : HMS Cleopatra - Rigged

The Royal Hajj
09-11-2013, 19:55
Work has been kicking my butt over the last couple of months, so I decided to take a little time and unwind.

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6843&d=1379215925

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6841&d=1379215922

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6842&d=1379215923

This started out as a simple proof of concept on adding some rigging to one of the ships. I quickly found my self adding more then I had intended too. It's not perfect and it's not even accurate, but for about an hours worth of work, I think it will do nicely.

And for those that might be looking for some different sails to use, the Langton SOL sails are not to far off scale to be used on the SGN frigates. I don't have any of the Langton photo etched rat lines, but the SOL ratlines might fit the frigates as well. Still leaves up lacking for the SGN SOL, but at least it could be a start.

7eat51
09-11-2013, 20:37
Visually, it makes the ship look more complete, and a bit less "gamey". I think a little effort like you have done here will definitely enhance the ships. :thumbsup:

Coog
09-11-2013, 20:42
Looks real good. As far as unwinding, I don't think rigging a ship would work very well for me. It would end up fitting in better with WoG as it would end up flying through the air!:happy:

Nightmoss
09-11-2013, 20:54
Looks great! If you did that in an hour you're to be commended.

I'm with Bobby, rigging is not an 'unwinding' activity (not unless the spool of thread hits the floor and beyond). :thumbsup:

David Manley
09-11-2013, 22:27
It may not be accurate or complete but it looks good and as you say makes it look less gamey. Might you try some paintwork enhancements too?

Cpt Kangaroo
09-12-2013, 05:42
Nice affect. Sometimes less is more. If you tried to do a lot of rigging, it might look cluttered. This looks like you stuck with standing rigging only. Hard to say until someone actually does a fully rigged version.

I like the overall visual appeal as it is.

The Royal Hajj
09-12-2013, 06:33
Thanks everyone. I might try and got an SOL done this weekend, the wife is going to be gone ;)

Looks great! If you did that in an hour you're to be commended.

It is actually pretty fast since there is no stretching or tightening of the lines. Its just a matter of sticking both ends of the "line" in some glue and placing it on the ship.

It may not be accurate or complete but it looks good and as you say makes it look less gamey. Might you try some paintwork enhancements too?

I'm sure I'll do some minor or full repaints at some point, but I really wanted to see how these would look out of the box with just rigging added. Even just painting the yard arms would take about the same amount of time I have in the rigging alone.

Nice affect. Sometimes less is more. If you tried to do a lot of rigging, it might look cluttered. This looks like you stuck with standing rigging only. Hard to say until someone actually does a fully rigged version.

I like the overall visual appeal as it is.

I have no real clue about the difference in standing or flying rigging... so if you say so!

Comte de Brueys
09-12-2013, 07:21
A good idea to upgrade the minis, First Sealord. :thumbsup:

Thinking of my rough handling gaming buddies I have my doubts if I'll rigg my models. :wink:

The Royal Hajj
09-12-2013, 07:55
A good idea to upgrade the minis, First Sealord. :thumbsup:

Thinking of my rough handling gaming buddies I have my doubts if I'll rigg my models. :wink:

I had those concerns as well. But after rigging this one and running a dozen games, I'm not near as worried about it now. First, the rigging is all inside the footprint of the sails. That means unless they are sticking their fingers between the sails, they should never even touch the rigging. The exception to this is the Upper Main Topgallant Stay and the Fore Topgallant Stay. The ships could still be picked up by the yard arms with out touching the rigging. I've also noted that every player I've had at one of my tables actually uses the base to pick the ship up and move it around. These bases are very easy to handle and pick up... a very good thing in my book.

DeRuyter
09-12-2013, 12:13
Thanks everyone. I might try and got an SOL done this weekend, the wife is going to be gone ;)

It is actually pretty fast since there is no stretching or tightening of the lines. Its just a matter of sticking both ends of the "line" in some glue and placing it on the ship.

I'm sure I'll do some minor or full repaints at some point, but I really wanted to see how these would look out of the box with just rigging added. Even just painting the yard arms would take about the same amount of time I have in the rigging alone.

I have no real clue about the difference in standing or flying rigging... so if you say so!

Looks good.

Adding both standing and running rigging would look nice but would require more modeling time, not to mention tan colored line! Also some running rigging will hang near the outside of the yardarms. I find that Rod Langton's rigging book is very helpful and you don't have to cut lengths of line. His method strengthens the masts as well. Worth picking up for anyone considering rigging the ships.

I will seriously consider painting the yards if the production ships come with them white coloured.

Eric

The Royal Hajj
09-12-2013, 12:25
I have the Langton book, just not sure where it is right now :( Tan colored line would not be a problem with my method. Not cutting the line sounds good, but that means you either have to loop it around parts, drill holes to pass it through and/or tie off. :( :(

Devsdoc
09-12-2013, 13:22
Hi Keith,
I think you have done a great job. As I remember only one SOG ship at one point had no room for drilling into the hull. But you can add a ring instead. You all are scared of handling the ships as they are, with standing rigging (As you have done) or running rigging. Only if someone gets very angry or has 2 left feet would I be scared. I have one friend who is the most awkward person I know, hold, play and pick-up my ships O.K. The rigging will make the ship stronger. Your looking good Keith.
Be safe
Rory

The Royal Hajj
09-12-2013, 13:48
Thanks Rory.

Since there is no tension on my rigging lines, there really is no strengthening benefit added.

Wear Ship Dave
09-12-2013, 15:58
I definitely like what the rigging adds. Definitely looks like it would be worth the time.

If you have a chance, Keith, would it be possible for you to post a photo of that same ship with a coin (penny or dime, or something) sitting on the base next to the ship? I was thinking of making a trip to the craft shop to stock up on some detailing supplies and could really benefit from a good scale frame of reference.

Moideeb
09-12-2013, 16:24
I had just decided that i was not going to bother rigging all my ships when they arrive, then i saw this post. Damn you! After seeing how good this looks i have to rig them all now. I signed up for a world wide captain too, so its going to take a long time to rig that many ships. I also very much doubt i can do each one in an hour either. :erk: Its amazing how much better the rigging makes it look, i was planning on painting my yards black as well, as white just looks odd to me.

The Royal Hajj
09-14-2013, 21:33
Updated the first post with some better photos.

7eat51
09-14-2013, 21:37
Keith, I just went through the rigged pictures in your album. Nicely done.

Gunner
09-24-2013, 19:40
Looks real good. As far as unwinding, I don't think rigging a ship would work very well for me. It would end up fitting in better with WoG as it would end up flying through the air!:happy:

Ha, ha, ha. That's really funny, and I can relate to that.

Devsdoc
09-24-2013, 20:05
Sorry to say I find it very relaxing. Don't make fun of me, but when rigging you cannot do anything else. It is not hard to do. (see my thread). Being bigger than 1-1200 scale, SOG ships should be less hard to do. Try it!
Be safe
Rory

Pseudotheist
09-24-2013, 20:20
Looks great... But then I begin to wonder how the jib is standing above the fore topgallant stay.

Devsdoc
09-24-2013, 20:41
Todd,
By the way, Hi! Keith said he just added pieces of thread to the model and done it quickly. If he had glued thread from the foremast to the top of the jib first then ran some glue along the top of the sails to the jib boom. then laid the thread on it and tired it off at the boom, it would look better. But Keith has shown it can be done. So well done to him for doing and showing. See my thread on rigging for more.
Be safe
Rory

Devsdoc
09-25-2013, 09:44
I have just finished a very old Fleet-line ship as a merchantman. The masts where very thin and bendy. I had little hope for this ship, I thought it would not be strong enough for gaming. The rigging itself was a nightmare and not like doing a Langton ship. After I had finished the standing rigging and added the rat-lines, it was as strong as the rest of my ships. So if you have time I would rig the SOG ships. they will look better and be so much stronger/safer to use on the table. The jibs sails especially. Doing this F-L ship has shown me how rigging works on tall-ships better than all the ships I have done in the past.

Hope this helps you with your soon to be fleets
Be safe
Rory

Pseudotheist
09-25-2013, 19:10
Todd,
By the way, Hi! Keith said he just added pieces of thread to the model and done it quickly. If he had glued thread from the foremast to the top of the jib first then ran some glue along the top of the sails to the jib boom. then laid the thread on it and tired it off at the boom, it would look better. But Keith has shown it can be done. So well done to him for doing and showing. See my thread on rigging for more.
Be safe
Rory
This thread?
http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1383-Rorys-step-by-step-guild-to-painting-and-rigging
That's pretty impressive stuff right there.

And Keith's rigging does look nice, I was just pointing out that it seems to draw attention to the fact that the jibs seem to be positioned incorrectly, which I don't think would stand out as much without the rigging showing off the angles.

Devsdoc
09-25-2013, 19:45
This thread?
http://www.sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1383-Rorys-step-by-step-guild-to-painting-and-rigging

And Keith's rigging does look nice, I was just pointing out that it seems to draw attention to the fact that the jibs seem to be positioned incorrectly, which I don't think would stand out as much without the rigging showing off the angles.

Hi Todd,
Thanks about my thread. Yes you are right about the fast rigging of Keith's. So many shipmates here are so scared of doing and playing with rigged ships. So seeing Keith's ship with some rigging done, is a big step for lots of shipmates on this site. This thread is the biggest and best step forward I have seen on this site. We are seeing to start of wargame models and not game pieces coming to light. All I can say is "Well done Keith" I'm 100% behind him on this point.
Be safe
Rory

The Royal Hajj
09-26-2013, 06:29
This thread?

Todd, this particular mini has a bad jib to hull connection. Look closely at the bow of the ship and you will see a white area. This is where the jib was not inserted completely into the hull be for gluing it. Had it been inserted correctly, the jib would be at a steeper angle and my rigging would have lined up better. Have a look at my HMS Bellona Rigged thread (http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1539-HMS-Bellona-Rigged) to see some better results. It also does not help that I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to placing the lines. Though I did know that the lines should be running up those sails, it was just not possible with this mini (with out breaking off and trying to reset the jib).

As Rory has pointed out, my method is just a quick down and dirty way to show it can be done with out spending a week on a single ship or with out any knowledge or true skill.

Hi Todd,
Thanks about my thread. Yes you are right about the fast rigging of Keith's. So many shipmates here are so scared of doing and playing with rigged ships. So seeing Keith's ship with some rigging done, is a big step for lots of shipmates on this site. This thread is the biggest and best step forward I have seen on this site. We are seeing to start of wargame models and not game pieces coming to light. All I can say is "Well done Keith" I'm 100% behind him on this point.
Be safe
Rory

Thanks Rory, I appreciate the support. I'm all about eye candy when it comes to games :salute:

The Royal Hajj
09-26-2013, 06:30
Here is a quick comparison shot from the other thread:

http://sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6845&d=1379215928

GrouperKicker
09-26-2013, 08:24
Just wondering... is there a book/guide that someone completely new to AoS games could use if they decide that they would like to rig the sails of their SoG ships?

The Royal Hajj
09-26-2013, 08:47
I would suggest the Langton book (http://www.rodlangton.com/napoleonic/frame.htm).

GrouperKicker
09-26-2013, 09:07
Thanks for the info, Keith.

Does anyone have suggestions as to a US retailer where I could order that book?

The Royal Hajj
09-26-2013, 09:17
Got mine from Waterloo Minis (http://store.waterloominis.com/catalog/). Very nice guy, site could use some help though.

GrouperKicker
09-26-2013, 09:55
Ok... one more question:
Does the Langton book also include sample paint schemes that can/could be used for the SoG miniatures?

(Just when I thought I was about to put all of my old modeling/painting supplies on the shelf!!!)

The Royal Hajj
09-26-2013, 09:59
I'd have to find and pull my book out to answer that one. Maybe one of the other guys have it handy today.

Gunner
09-26-2013, 10:43
Yes, Langton's book shows some nice paint schemes as well as a lot of other painting information.
It's a must have book.

DeRuyter
09-26-2013, 11:10
Ditto on that. If memory serves there is a color spread in the book with color schemes from various nationalities and actual ships.

Gunner
09-26-2013, 11:19
Ditto on that. If memory serves there is a color spread in the book with color schemes from various nationalities and actual ships.

There are 12 different color schemes including Spanish, British, Danish, Swedish and French in the book with two more on the cover.

Devsdoc
09-26-2013, 14:08
Hi Scott,
It is the book to have. It shows SOME colour schemes. It will help you as a start. I would say pick a colour for each nation and use different patterns for each ship. This and flags and pennants would help with gamming. Use different yellows for the British Chequer post 1804. It seems all Russian and U.S ship were all black & white. Some people will be horrified at this idea. Or look on historical naval sites or books for the colour of each ship.
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
09-26-2013, 15:31
It seems all Russian and U.S ship were all black & white. Some people will be horrified at this idea. Be safe
Rory

Ha, ha, ha.:happy::beer: That's why there's Coke and Pepsi.

Devsdoc
09-26-2013, 15:37
Ha, ha, ha.:happy::beer: That's why there's Coke and Pepsi.

I like it Ed :happy:
Be safe
Rory

Pseudotheist
09-26-2013, 15:47
Todd, this particular mini has a bad jib to hull connection. Look closely at the bow of the ship and you will see a white area. This is where the jib was not inserted completely into the hull be for gluing it. Had it been inserted correctly, the jib would be at a steeper angle and my rigging would have lined up better. Have a look at my HMS Bellona Rigged thread (http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?1539-HMS-Bellona-Rigged) to see some better results.
Yes, that other one is SO MUCH BETTER! Glad to know that the Cleopatra model is probably a construction error; hopelly the others will all look a good as the Bellona.