PDA

View Full Version : The Elements and Practice of Rigging And Seamanship, 1794, by David Steel

Nightmoss
08-31-2013, 11:00
I'm still trying to find a definitive answer on whether US ships in the Age of Sail rigged their running rigging on the mizzen mast like England or the rest of the world. I stumbled on this text while searching. I'll admit that 99% of this is over my head, but it's clearly a major resource for anyone interested in the 'technology of the era'.

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/steel/index.htm

Gunner
08-31-2013, 11:49
What a great find. While I got a headache trying to follow what little I could, there is so much information that this site is a must for my computer library.
Thanks Jim.

Devsdoc
08-31-2013, 12:48
I'm still trying to find a definitive answer on whether US ships in the Age of Sail rigged their running rigging on the mizzen mast like England or the rest of the world. I stumbled on this text while searching. I'll admit that 99% of this is over my head, but it's clearly a major resource for anyone interested in the 'technology of the era'.

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/steel/index.htm

Jim, Why not ask Rod Langton himself? E-mail and phone number on Langton's website. He is a very helpful man. As it was him that said about the 2 ways of rigging, He should know. In his book painting & rigging (P 41) say's "British Warships had a different method of rigging their higher mizzen sails than the vessels of all other countries". Note "Warship" and "all other". If Rod is right and why would he not be. All ships, naval and merchant rigged forward to the main mast. Only the Royal Navy (British) rigged back to the spanker.
Be safe
Rod

7eat51
08-31-2013, 13:22
Jim, what a great find. I really like the illustrations. I bookmarked this for future reference. Thanks.

Cmmdre
08-31-2013, 13:48
Awesome find Jim, thank you for posting. Naval Tactics Vol II has lots of excellent practical information. Good reading. :happy:

Rabbit
08-31-2013, 13:53

What do you mean there are two styles of rigging :erk:

I was thinking Rory's type and my type, which will still look like a cat's cradle, even if I read and understand 20% of the above.

Oh well, to read and inwardly digest.

rabbit

Nightmoss
08-31-2013, 14:23
Jim, Why not ask Rod Langton himself? E-mail and phone number on Langton's website. He is a very helpful man. As it was him that said about the 2 ways of rigging, He should know. In his book painting & rigging (P 41) say's "British Warships had a different method of rigging their higher mizzen sails than the vessels of all other countries". Note "Warship" and "all other". If Rod is right and why would he not be. All ships, naval and merchant rigged forward to the main mast. Only the Royal Navy (British) rigged back to the spanker.
Be safe
Rod

What an excellent idea. I'll shoot him an email and see what he says. I'll let you know what he says, either way. Thanks Rory.

Devsdoc
08-31-2013, 16:53
Be safe
Rod

Oh dear,
Be safe ROD I'm going MAD
Be safe
Rory :embarass:

Nightmoss
09-02-2013, 12:51
Oh dear,
Be safe ROD I'm going MAD
Be safe
Rory :embarass:

Hey Rory,

I received an email from Rod today answering my question. He indicated that US ships would have rigged the mizzen mast like the British. So, your initial guess was correct. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Devsdoc
09-02-2013, 15:11
Jim,
I'm a oldish man. This you can see from above post, going mad. Rod said U.S. Warships rig back to the spanker like the British.
Be safe
Rory

Volunteer
10-07-2013, 18:50
Jim,
I'm a oldish man. This you can see from above post, going mad. Rod said U.S. Warships rig back to the spanker like the British.
Be safe
Rory

Ah, I'm sorry I missed this one. Rory admits to being "oldish". Is that synonomous with "fogey" as in old fogey?

Nightmoss
10-07-2013, 19:21
Ah, I'm sorry I missed this one. Rory admits to being "oldish". Is that synonomous with "fogey" as in old fogey?

Could very well be, but I'm inclined to let him define it himself. Webster's says "oldish" is 'somewhat old', which would probably apply to many of us here (including myself)? :wink:

Gunner
10-07-2013, 20:03
When you guys start talking about age, do you notice how quite I get.
If it wasn't for my fountain of youth elixirs:beer::g&t::rum::beer::beer:, I too would think of myself as "oldish".

Devsdoc
10-08-2013, 09:56

Could very well be, but I'm inclined to let him define it himself. Webster's says "oldish" is 'somewhat old', which would probably apply to many of us here (including myself)? :wink:

When you guys start talking about age, do you notice how quite I get.
If it wasn't for my fountain of youth elixirs:beer::g&t::rum::beer::beer:, I too would think of myself as "oldish".

O.K.
Hands up! I'm into my 2th childhood. See I play with toy's. By the way, you Vol said you are an "old fogey" yourself. I did not say a thing! As a somewhat old gent. I can set in my rocking chair sucking my pipe going hmmmm!
Be safe
Rory

Volunteer
10-08-2013, 14:52
O.K.
Hands up! I'm into my 2th childhood. See I play with toy's. By the way, you Vol said you are an "old fogey" yourself. I did not say a thing! As a somewhat old gent. I can set in my rocking chair sucking my pipe going hmmmm!
Be safe
Rory

Oh that's right! Sorry Rory, I just forgot! LOL :shock::dazed::smack:

csadn
10-08-2013, 16:26
Why is it, no matter what group I end up in, I'm always surrounded by people who either old enough to be my parents, or young enough to be my children?

<- wanders back to the trash can in the alley off Sesame Street... :)

Gunner
10-08-2013, 16:55
Why is it, no matter what group I end up in, I'm always surrounded by people who either old enough to be my parents, or young enough to be my children?

<- wanders back to the trash can in the alley off Sesame Street... :)

All that means, is that you're at the perfect age.
Enjoy it while you can. Your time's coming.

David Manley
10-08-2013, 21:18
You are only as old as the woman you feel :happy:

Devsdoc
10-09-2013, 12:01

Hi David,
As Jane is 6 years older than me! What hope do I have?:question: :happy:
Be safe
Rory

Volunteer
10-09-2013, 12:14
Not to worry Rory, mine is eight years younger than me. Still doesn't help! Still doesn't help.....is there an echo in here? :cry::smack:

Gunner
10-09-2013, 12:21
My first wife was 8 years younger than me. My last one was 16 years younger than me. I'm having a problem trying to keep doubling up and finding one 32 years younger.

Devsdoc
10-09-2013, 12:24

Hi David,
As Jane is 6 years older than me! What hope do I have?:question: :happy:
Be safe
Rory

Not to worry Rory, mine is eight years younger than me. Still doesn't help! Still doesn't help.....is there an echo in here? :cry::smack:

I was told that "You learn to cook on old pans" Don't tell Jane I said this! :hmmm: :embarass:
Be safe
Rory

csadn
10-09-2013, 16:25

She's two years younger than me -- and with the silver hair, she looks like she could be my mother....