PDA

View Full Version : 1:300 HMS Victory by Langton

Moideeb
08-21-2013, 15:26
Well i have probably rather rashly taken the plunge and bought the model kit of HMS Victory by Rob Langton. I have already made the 1:300 Juno and the Wasp, but i suspect this kit is going to be rather more complex with over 400 parts to paint and assemble and a 27 page instruction manual. The kit was delivered to my work today, I will post regular updates as the build progresses, but for now, here are the images of how the kit comes (with the frigate Juno for size comparison).

Nightmoss
08-21-2013, 16:14
Congratulations! An impressive kit for sure. Please do keep us updated on your build. How many hours do you think it will take you to complete it?

Moideeb
08-21-2013, 16:20
Thats a good question. HMS Juno took me about a month, but i mostly just work on these in my lunch breaks at work. I have a small baby, so don't get much time at home to build these. i do occasionally head into work early in the mornings to get a little more work done on the ships, which helps. Im guessing this is going to take a couple of months to complete, though i might be way off with this prediction.

Cmmdre
08-21-2013, 16:26
Good luck with that Chris. It will be nice to follow your progress.

7eat51
08-21-2013, 16:34
Yes, Chris, please let us go along with you on this journey. Really looking forward to watching this.

QfunK!
08-21-2013, 20:39
Impressive even at this state. What are the dimensions of the base?

Gunner
08-22-2013, 02:39
Waiting for you to buy the rest of the ships and the football field to do Trafalgar.:hatsoff:

Moideeb
08-22-2013, 13:11
I have cleaned off the excess flashing from the hull and drilled out the holes for the cannons etc. Also after spray priming the model, the details start to look much clearer and the model doesn't look like white chocolate anymore, which is good because it was making me hungry looking at it.

In response to Qfunk the model is 23cm long from stem to stern and the base is 36cm.

In response to Gunner, i totally agree. When i win the lottery i will totally do trafalgar with this scale and buy my own sports hall to convert into a giant naval wargaming hall for use with these models, with ocean design flooring. (will still keep a space for the odd game of the giant axis and allies i already have) I'll also hire someone to make them all these models for me, otherwise it might be a 20 year wait while i build them all.

Gunner
08-22-2013, 14:01
Your off to a good start (really looks good). If I get hooked on 1/300 because of your posts, we're through talking.

Nightmoss
08-22-2013, 14:45
Your off to a good start (really looks good). If I get hooked on 1/300 because of your posts, we're through talking.

Ed, I was thinking the very same thing. Just one 1/300 would look so nice a glass display case.

Chris, I've never primed resin before. What kind of primer do you use?

Moideeb
08-22-2013, 14:45

:happy: Be warned its addictive! I only made the Sloop 'Wasp' for while i was waiting for sails of glory to be shipped, I then said that was it and promptly ordered the 'Juno' kit a week later. When i finished the 'Juno', i said no more. There was no way i would get the Victory. Two weeks later, here we are.

Please let them deliver sails of glory before i finish this model, i'm not sure i can afford this new found addiction.

Moideeb
08-22-2013, 14:52
Ed, I was thinking the very same thing. Just one 1/300 would look so nice a glass display case.

Chris, I've never primed resin before. What kind of primer do you use?

Now you've mentioned that, i suddenly thought that i probably didn't need to prime the resin. Never mind. I primed the other two models hulls too and it didn't o any harm, so its all good. It does produce a nice surface for the paint to stick to, which probably still helps.

I simply use a Halfords grey primer, which is meant for cars, but seems to work well.

7eat51
08-22-2013, 15:06
Chris, what is it like building something at this scale compared to 1:1200? Is it easier? Harder? How would you compare the tradeoff between greater detail, therefore more complexity, and larger scale, therefore a bit easier in terms of seeing what you're painting and rigging, let alone the ability for your hands to do the work? I realize I am making assumptions here.

Moideeb
08-22-2013, 15:59
Chris, what is it like building something at this scale compared to 1:1200? Is it easier? Harder? How would you compare the tradeoff between greater detail, therefore more complexity, and larger scale, therefore a bit easier in terms of seeing what you're painting and rigging, let alone the ability for your hands to do the work? I realize I am making assumptions here.

Me being Me, I typically dive into things without building up to them. Never been one to warm up before exorcise (exorcize for the Americans amongst us), never start small and work my way up to anything. With ships i predictably started off completely the wrong way round. The first ship i made was a much bigger wooden kit of the Victory, about 4 or so years ago now. It was much more complex than these, planking the hull alone was something of a nightmare. Everything had to be fashioned, wetted and bent into place. The rigging took me months to do and felt really complex, i needed a magnifier to do it, where i haven't used one once on my 1:300 scale ships. I also made a lot of mistakes on both the hull and rigging (see picture).

By comparison, getting smaller has meant less details to worry about so it has felt easier to work on. When i made the larger Victory, I found that I needed to try and follow rigging advice properly, where on my 1:300 models ive made, i could begin to cheat a little and tie off rigging where it can't bee seen. I could glue Yards to masts, rather than properly suspending them and having the rigging all properly following down to the deck. Following on in this theme on 1:300 you have many details on the hulls, that are simply omitted on the 1:1200 hulls, and then crew etc as well. Having never made 1:1200 model though, it might well pass a critical point, where at that scale the opposite becomes true. Some of the 1:1200 models I've seen people make on this site are beyond anything i could do and if they tried their hands at 1:300 scale, I'm sure they would do a much better job, than I. Im sure there are many people here who are better qualified to answer this one and may well prove the opposite to be true, but thats my experience so far.

For those who want insane sizes, check out this scale of 1:4800 (not one of my pictures, just found on the web)

Devsdoc
08-22-2013, 16:32
Hi Chris,
I do 1-1200 scale. I would happily go smaller 1-2400 or 1-4800 scales. So its hats off to you for your 1-300 scale ships. I maybe would try ships boats in 15mm scale only. I look forward to seeing more of your modelling. Good luck.
Be safe
Rory

Cmmdre
08-22-2013, 17:08
:salute: :hatsoff: :thumbsup: Outstanding Chris :salute:

7eat51
08-22-2013, 18:27
Thanks Chris. From my vantage point, your large ship looks beautiful.

I can't imagine painting something like the 1:4800 in anything other than crude strokes in which the basics are painted, but details aren't. I am sure there are some here with the ability to do these justice, but I would probably do better leaving them as is. Rory, if you ever do one of these super small ones, please post some pics.

Best wishes on the Victory, Chris.

Berthier
08-24-2013, 03:44
Amazing how much difference just the primer made to showing the detail which is exceptional. I'll follow this thread with interest and try to game some more useful hints.

Moideeb
08-24-2013, 03:54
Amazing how much difference just the primer made to showing the detail which is exceptional. I'll follow this thread with interest and try to game some more useful hints.

Yep, it's making it much easier to see where to paint. I'm really just muddling my way through, hopefully it will all work out well. Rather than painting the whole ship, as I've done before, I've spray painted the whole hill black now and will paint the ochre over the top. I'm hoping this will give a really nice finish. Will try and post a photo tomorrow.

CHolgren
08-24-2013, 06:33
Me being Me, I typically dive into things without building up to them. Never been one to warm up before exorcise (exorcize for the Americans amongst us), never start small and work my way up to anything. With ships i predictably started off completely the wrong way round. The first ship i made was a much bigger wooden kit of the Victory, about 4 or so years ago now. It was much more complex than these, planking the hull alone was something of a nightmare. Everything had to be fashioned, wetted and bent into place. The rigging took me months to do and felt really complex, i needed a magnifier to do it, where i haven't used one once on my 1:300 scale ships. I also made a lot of mistakes on both the hull and rigging (see picture).

By comparison, getting smaller has meant less details to worry about so it has felt easier to work on. When i made the larger Victory, I found that I needed to try and follow rigging advice properly, where on my 1:300 models ive made, i could begin to cheat a little and tie off rigging where it can't bee seen. I could glue Yards to masts, rather than properly suspending them and having the rigging all properly following down to the deck. Following on in this theme on 1:300 you have many details on the hulls, that are simply omitted on the 1:1200 hulls, and then crew etc as well. Having never made 1:1200 model though, it might well pass a critical point, where at that scale the opposite becomes true. Some of the 1:1200 models I've seen people make on this site are beyond anything i could do and if they tried their hands at 1:300 scale, I'm sure they would do a much better job, than I. Im sure there are many people here who are better qualified to answer this one and may well prove the opposite to be true, but thats my experience so far.

For those who want insane sizes, check out this scale of 1:4800 (not one of my pictures, just found on the web)

I painted up 6 of these for use with GMT Serpents of the Seas. I wasnt going for great detail in the painting so it wasn't too difficult to paint them up. I posted a picture on the War Galley thread.

The 1:300 is looking good.

7eat51
08-24-2013, 13:23
Cory, did you order those from England? I have some in the cart ready for purchase, but thought I would check to see if they can be ordered from a distributor here.

Old Salt
08-24-2013, 13:38
Great looking kit

Gunner
08-24-2013, 19:58
Cory, did you order those from England? I have some in the cart ready for purchase, but thought I would check to see if they can be ordered from a distributor here.

Eric, have you tried http://waterloominis.com/oscommerce/catalog/index.php?cPath=22 out of Mechanicsville, VA ?
If he doesn't show it, ask him.

7eat51
08-25-2013, 08:24
Hi Ed,

I have not. I ordered the recent Langton 1:1200 74-gunner from Rob. Since then, he and I have corresponded a bit. He seems to be a wonderful guy. I will look at his website today. I would be very happy to give him more business.

Thanks.

Gunner
08-25-2013, 11:03
Duplicate. Please ignore.

Gunner
08-25-2013, 11:09
Hi Ed,

I have not. I ordered the recent Langton 1:1200 74-gunner from Rob. Since then, he and I have corresponded a bit. He seems to be a wonderful guy. I will look at his website today. I would be very happy to give him more business.

Thanks.

I just received 10 sets of his ratlines and will save one the 1st rate to see if it will be a good match for the larger SoG 74. And to see if Langton's 64 or 74 will work with SoG's Frigates.
And Waterloo miniatures did not charge me shipping for the ratlines.

Regards.

Comte de Brueys
08-25-2013, 11:16

I'm curious, how this project ends, Chris. :hatsoff:

Volunteer
08-25-2013, 15:58

Rob at Waterloo Minis can get them for you Eric.

7eat51
08-25-2013, 18:35
Rob at Waterloo Minis can get them for you Eric.

Thanks Vol. I just posted Rob an email about how to order these from him.

7eat51
08-25-2013, 18:55
I just heard back from Rob. Unfortunately, he doesn't carry Tumbling Dice 1:4800, so it is off to England with an order.

CHolgren
08-26-2013, 06:20

Eric,

Sorry, my response from Saturday doesn't seem to have made it into the thread, but yes I had to order it from over seas. It was fast arriving, less than ten days.

Moideeb
08-26-2013, 12:48
After Spray priming the hull, I have decided to spray the whole hull black, to give me a nice starting colour to work off. I have painted the Bow and the stern, but am still procrastinating on painting the sides of the ship, which i anticipate to be a little challenging on how to get the straight lines of ochre and black. If anyone has any useful tips for this, i would be obliged. I have also painted the sides of the gun ports in red.

Also shown is my cup of tea, for a scale comparison.

7eat51
08-26-2013, 12:53
Very striking, thus far, Chris.

I take it that painting over black is not too difficult, that the black does not "bleed" through, if you will?

The cup of tea does give good perspective. The model is not nearly as tall as I thought otherwise.

Looking forward to upcoming posts on your progress.

QfunK!
08-28-2013, 21:30
Impressive! Are you sticking to one line of paints or a personally preferred collected set?

Moideeb
08-30-2013, 14:51
Very striking, thus far, Chris.

I take it that painting over black is not too difficult, that the black does not "bleed" through, if you will?

The cup of tea does give good perspective. The model is not nearly as tall as I thought otherwise.

Looking forward to upcoming posts on your progress.

The Ochre seems to cover the black well. It does show through a little, but, i kind of like the effect, as i think it gives a little relief to an otherwise flat colour.

In terms of paints used, i'm really just using a mish mash of paints, I've collected, I'm mixing acrylics and enamels. Not the the ideal, but it seems to work well enough for me. I've not had any major problems so far.

Here are a couple of updated images of how the hull is looking. This is still just the first piece, i have started to paint a few of the other parts, but have yet to glue together a single one of the over 400 additional parts yet. Hopefully this should look look pretty impressive when its done. In previous models like the Juno, i found that as i added more detail, it began to cover up areas where i have been a little sloppy with paining, I'm hoping the same will apply here.

Gunner
08-30-2013, 15:15
All I can say is,:envy::envy::envy::envy:.

Nightmoss
08-30-2013, 15:38
Beautiful detail coming out of your work. It's really enjoyable to see the progress. :thumbsup:

Cmmdre
08-30-2013, 15:58
A delight to check in on your progress Chris. Coming together beautifully.

7eat51
08-30-2013, 17:16
Really great work, Chris. Thanks for the reply on painting. Sue has been painting minis all week - fantasy game pieces. I think when she sees this, a ship will be on her horizon.

As for the Tumbling Dice ships, I ordered directly from them. My order consisted of two squadron packs: 6 3-deckers, 30 2-deckers, 6 frigates, 4 each of sloops, brigs & cutters; an additional set of 3 frigates, and an additional set of 2 each of the smaller ships. I figure this way I can paint some different color schemes for different nations. If I ever decide to do something like Trafalgar, I will order more. Now I am wondering if I will start with these or the Langton 74-gunner. Since these are basically painting (I can't imagine rigging these), it might be the easiest way to reenter the world of modeling. It will be nice to play some naval mini games without the need for a lot of space.

Volunteer
08-30-2013, 18:43
Breathtaking! I may have to move up in scale.

Comte de Brueys
08-31-2013, 04:55
Nice progress, Chris. :clap:

Gunner
08-31-2013, 16:46
I'm off for a couple of days now, to go sailing on the tall ship tenacious. Will post a picture when I get back. I did manage to get time to paint the base (sea) for the victory today before I left, here is a picture of how it looks. I always like painting this bit because it doesn't take long and always feels like I've made loads of progress.

WATCH IT. Or the ship will fall off the base.

Devsdoc
08-31-2013, 17:07
Chris,
Are you going to see Daniel or is this a bad storm.
Be safe
Rory

Moideeb
08-31-2013, 18:24
:-) Ive left the ship behind for my trip. As I write this I am rather unexpectedly doing so from a Beth on the tenacious. I'm meant to board tomorrow, but after catching the train down here, I discovered I had booked my hotel for the wrong night. Also rather shockingly it turns out the whole of Southampton appears to be booked out.

After two hours of walking round the city, calling hotels and gone midnight. I was preparing to sleep rough for the night, but decided to try my last through of the dice and see if the tenacious had anybody onboard. i talked my way passed the security guard for the docks and made my way to her mooring. thankfully there were people onboard and the gave me a berth. As a result I have also been able to get this picture on my phone.

Not anything to do with the victory, so I apologise for the break from topic, but just thought I would share my surreal night.

QfunK!
09-01-2013, 02:02
Stunning work! Just as surprising it that there are crew aboard the Juno. Do you plan to do the same with Victory?

Berthier
09-01-2013, 03:57
Chris,
Are you going to see Daniel or is this a bad storm.
Be safe
Rory

No you're all upside down not me!

Moideeb
09-01-2013, 14:43
Stunning work! Just as surprising it that there are crew aboard the Juno. Do you plan to do the same with Victory?

Definitely, I think having crew brings the model alive. I have loads of crew for the victory, I'm am planing on having quite a few in the rigging and out on the yards, plus gun crews for every gun. That's one of the joys of working on this scale. That you can get little figures for the models.

Moideeb
09-12-2013, 15:55
No you're all upside down not me!

I finally understand this comment. I uploaded this from my iPhone and it shows the right way up. Maybe my iPhone was made in Australia, hence the upside down picture. How odd!

Moideeb
09-12-2013, 16:01
Well haven't done an update for a while. I have been busy painting spars and masts and deck fixings ready for assembly. You can see here, the 12 pounders from the upper gun deck are installed, as are some of the gratings and ladders. I promise more images to come soon as the work progresses.

Moideeb
09-12-2013, 16:04
Yay, im also not a landman anymore! Definitely happy to move on from that status. Perhaps with my newfound status as a ordinary seaman, i can work out which way up to post my images now:erk:

Nightmoss
09-12-2013, 17:04
Going to be a beautiful ship! Keep the picture posts coming when you can.

Volunteer
09-12-2013, 19:26
This is an absolutely gorgeous model Chris! It looks like you did some modification to the quarter deck? It is different than the earlier photos.

7eat51
09-12-2013, 22:14
It does look beautiful, Chris.

Congrats on your promotion. :salute:

Devsdoc
09-13-2013, 12:07
Chris,
Less drink, and more building. Your ship is looking so sweet, I can go of you my friend.
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
09-13-2013, 13:02
Chris, don't post any more pictures of 1/300 ships. I will not get hung up on that scale, I will not, I won't, I won't?, I ???

Moideeb
09-13-2013, 14:57
Chris,
Less drink, and more building. Your ship is looking so sweet, I can go of you my friend.
Be safe
Rory

Oh, i don't know, its good to wet the old swab from time to time. :g&t: Here are a few more pictures of the progress for you.

I have just installed the 32 pounders on the lower gun deck. Also most importantly the Heads are now installed, so once i add a crew, they have somewhere to go when nature calls. :embarass:

Special apologies to Gunner. You know you want to build one...

Moideeb
09-13-2013, 15:08
This is an absolutely gorgeous model Chris! It looks like you did some modification to the quarter deck? It is different than the earlier photos.

No modifications. I hadn't installed the quarter deck in some of the earlier photos. The Hull is made of resin and i guess isn't that great for loads of detail. As such all the fine details such as decking, railings etc are all done separately as white metal, bit by bit I'm beginning to add the details in.

I do find myself getting caught up in this and frequently over running on my breaks. Because its on my desk i keep finding myself distracted from my work, thinking what i am going to do next on the ship.

Gunner
09-13-2013, 15:19
[QUOTE=Moideeb;17343] Also most importantly the Heads are now installed, so once i add a crew, they have somewhere to go when nature calls. :embarass:/QUOTE]

Needs a touch of brown to the bottom of the heads.
Gorgeous work.:hatsoff:

Moideeb
09-13-2013, 15:25
[QUOTE=Moideeb;17343] Also most importantly the Heads are now installed, so once i add a crew, they have somewhere to go when nature calls. :embarass:/QUOTE]

Needs a touch of brown to the bottom of the heads.
Gorgeous work.:hatsoff:

I'll have to paint that in once the crew boards :wink:

7eat51
09-13-2013, 15:31
I can see from these pictures how the black comes through a bit on the Ochre. I agree with you, it adds a nice touch or feel to the wood look.

Very exciting watching this take shape.

Nightmoss
09-13-2013, 15:33
You know, between this build and the completed ship in the background (Wasp or Juno?) I'm awfully tempted to try 1/300!?! :shock: But there's no room for another hobby extension?!

Moideeb
09-13-2013, 15:36
I can see from these pictures how the black comes through a bit on the Ochre. I agree with you, it adds a nice touch or feel to the wood look.

Very exciting watching this take shape.

I think so. In an ideal world I would add weathering effects to the hull, but that goes beyond my painting skills. This way at least gives some relief to the colour.

7eat51
09-13-2013, 15:40
I think so. In an ideal world I would add weathering effects to the hull, but that goes beyond my painting skills. This way at least gives some relief to the colour.

It really does. It has me thinking about how primer can be used for more than preparation for painting. Do you think the same effect would take place with pewter minis?

I received the Tumbling Dice minis this week. I will try my hand next weekend. It should be fun. They are awfully small, though.

Moideeb
09-13-2013, 15:43
It really does. It has me thinking about how primer can be used for more than preparation for painting. Do you think the same effect would take place with pewter minis?

I received the Tumbling Dice minis this week. I will try my hand next weekend. It should be fun. They are awfully small, though.

I would think so. If you use a black primer, then that's a great base cost to let show through where you want it. I look forward to seeing how they look.

Moideeb
09-13-2013, 15:57
You know, between this build and the completed ship in the background (Wasp or Juno?) I'm awfully tempted to try 1/300!?! :shock: But there's no room for another hobby extension?!

It's the Juno behind. I keep the wasp on a bookshelf at home (thought i might try this the correct way up now I'm back off the rum.)

From having seen your USS Constitution, if you were to make a model of this scale, it would look pretty amazing!

Devsdoc
09-13-2013, 16:23
Is it the drink again, or just gone to see Daniel again. Good day, mate! :salute: Sorry! she is looking so good Chris.
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
09-13-2013, 18:06
Thought I'd save you the trouble.

Nightmoss
09-14-2013, 00:08
Just beautiful!

Cmmdre
09-14-2013, 07:29
Nice work Chris.

Volunteer
09-14-2013, 17:46
Hey Chris, is that little ship's boat with the sail part of the package from Langton?

Moideeb
09-15-2013, 01:39
Hey Chris, is that little ship's boat with the sail part of the package from Langton?

it is from Langton, but i got it separately. They threw it in for free for me when i bought the Victory. At the time i didn't realise how many boats the Victory came with, otherwise i probably wouldn't have asked for it. I likley won't keep this when the models done, but i like the sense of scale it brings while i'm still building the Victory.

Cheers for flipping the image for me Gunner. Its that dammed rum phone of mine again, flipping things when I'm not looking.

QfunK!
09-15-2013, 18:47
Wow! I have not checked on the site in a while, and blown away by the progress.

Moideeb
09-16-2013, 07:49
Thanks for all the complimentary comments. Not a dramatic change from my last post, but i have now installed all the Cannon, apart from the 4 quarter deck 12 pounders that will be installed later.

Nightmoss
09-16-2013, 09:34
Looking very good. Question for you. What size brush did you use to detail the wave tops on the base? It looks quite good and I'd be curious to know if you used a larger brush or not?

Moideeb
09-16-2013, 12:35
To Do the waves, i used an old knackered brush i forgot to clean properly once and it's bristles are now really stiff. I add tiny amounts of white paint at a time and just jab away at the wave tops using absolutely no skill! The crests of the waves naturally pick up the white, leaving the troughs blue. I think it works brilliantly, even if i feel like a 2 year old as I basically thump away at the base with a paint brush.

Nightmoss
09-16-2013, 15:06
To Do the waves, i used an old knackered brush i forgot to clean properly once and it's bristles are now really stiff. I add tiny amounts of white paint at a time and just jab away at the wave tops using absolutely no skill! The crests of the waves naturally pick up the white, leaving the troughs blue. I think it works brilliantly, even if i feel like a 2 year old as I basically thump away at the base with a paint brush.

Thanks. I think I have a number of brushes like that, both large and small.

Devsdoc
09-16-2013, 15:25
Jim,
A new avatar, I like.
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
09-16-2013, 15:26
Your new avatar looks great.:hatsoff:

Nightmoss
09-16-2013, 15:28
Jim,
A new avatar, I like.
Be safe
Rory

Your new avatar looks great.:hatsoff:

Thank you, both. I figured it was time to move out of the sky and into the water. :happy:

Gunner
09-16-2013, 16:50
Thank you, both. I figured it was time to move out of the sky and into the water. :happy:

As long as you keep it above the water. Ol' Davey has enough company.

Volunteer
09-16-2013, 17:47
[QUOTE=Moideeb;17413]it is from Langton, but i got it separately. They threw it in for free for me when i bought the Victory. At the time i didn't realise how many boats the Victory came with, otherwise i probably wouldn't have asked for it. I likley won't keep this when the models done, but i like the sense of scale it brings while i'm still building the Victory.
QUOTE]

Well Chris, if you truly don't want it I'm your man! Please, Please, Please!

Volunteer
09-16-2013, 17:55
Lord Chris! I could drown in your water. The ships reflection can even be seen in that overhead shot.

7eat51
09-16-2013, 19:35
The water really is amazing. Your lack of using of skill is dumbfounding.

Coog
09-16-2013, 20:03
Your photos are sometimes a bit deceiving, making the model look larger than what it is. If my information and calculations are right, the model is only about 5 1/2 inches long by 1 1/4 inches wide. You're doing an incredible job with the small details on something of that size.

Moideeb
09-17-2013, 14:37
Lord Chris! I could drown in your water. The ships reflection can even be seen in that overhead shot.

:-) I promise its shallower than it looks.

If you really want the jolly boat, once i'm done you can have it but i promise you its only about 5mm long and rather underwhelming. Its yours if you want it though.

Moideeb
09-17-2013, 14:41
Your photos are sometimes a bit deceiving, making the model look larger than what it is. If my information and calculations are right, the model is only about 5 1/2 inches long by 1 1/4 inches wide. You're doing an incredible job with the small details on something of that size.

Your absolutley right, the pictures do make the ship look deceptively large. Here is a picture of the ship sailing through a sea of money to give it some sense of scale.

Cmmdre
09-17-2013, 14:46
Your absolutley right, the pictures do make the ship look deceptively large. Here is a picture of the ship sailing through a sea of money to give it some sense of scale.

Thanks for the scale. The model looks like it is coming along nicely Chris. You'll be Admiral of the fleet one day.

Gunner
09-17-2013, 15:01
Judging by the U.S. note which is a little over 6", the model looks a little over 10 inches from stem to stern.

Moideeb
09-17-2013, 15:20
Judging by the U.S. note which is a little over 6", the model looks a little over 10 inches from stem to stern.

Ill measure it when I get to work tomorrow. 10 inches does sound about right though.

Volunteer
09-18-2013, 14:05
:-) I promise its shallower than it looks.

If you really want the jolly boat, once i'm done you can have it but i promise you its only about 5mm long and rather underwhelming. Its yours if you want it though.

Didn't think you were serious Chris. No I was joking. The post from Avon to Washington would be way more than it would be worth. Thanks for the offer though. Just keep posting these wonderful build photos. You are really inspiring me with your Juno, Wasp, and Victory threads to move up in scale, at least from a modeling perspective. I'll stick with 1:1200 for gaming.

Regards,
Vol

Moideeb
09-20-2013, 04:05
Didn't think you were serious Chris. No I was joking. The post from Avon to Washington would be way more than it would be worth. Thanks for the offer though. Just keep posting these wonderful build photos. You are really inspiring me with your Juno, Wasp, and Victory threads to move up in scale, at least from a modeling perspective. I'll stick with 1:1200 for gaming.

Regards,
Vol

Hi Vol, I was pretty confident you were joking, but then i thought just in case you weren't, it was so tiny it would cost pence to post, by sea mail, Its already got a sail so if i were to set it in the sea, it could catch the trade winds and you could pick it up in Chesapeake Bay in 29 days or so if the tides and winds are fair. :sly:

Moideeb
09-20-2013, 04:14
I don't think my scale picture was as helpful as i thought it would be. A ruler would have been much more sensible. As such here is a picture with a ruler. After measuring i can confirm that the model is 9 inches long. Though once the bowsprit is fitted, it is likely to be a fair bit longer.

Thanks for the scale. The model looks like it is coming along nicely Chris. You'll be Admiral of the fleet one day.

That does have rather a nice ring to it. "Admiral of the Fleet"! I shudder to think of building a whole fleet of these though. Perhaps Commodore might require a little less building. My 3 ships might then be enough. :salute:

7eat51
09-20-2013, 04:24
Chris, that bird's-eye view without the masts and sails nicely shows some details. She is looking lovely, and that water looks real.

Truly admirable. Keep up the great work. :hatsoff:

Devsdoc
09-20-2013, 08:52
I just love the one gun on the upper deck :question: :happy: Do not encourage Vol with 1-300 scale, He is turning slowly from the true wargamers scale with your beautiful ship. STOP IT NOW!
Be safe
Rory

Moideeb
09-20-2013, 09:58
I just love the one gun on the upper deck :question: :happy: Do not encourage Vol with 1-300 scale, He is turning slowly from the true wargamers scale with your beautiful ship. STOP IT NOW!
Be safe
Rory

Hi Rory,

That cannon annoyingly came loose from the lower deck, unfortunately since i glued the quarter deck down, i can't get the bugger back in. Now i just leave it randomly around on the quarter deck. I don't think anyone will notice it missing once the ship is done. so now i have once extra cannon, just in case.

Vol, you really don't want to get one of these beautiful 1:300 ships, Rory is right.

Buy loads instead that would be awesome! imagine Trafalgar with 50 of these babies! :rum: Unfortunately all 50 ships would have to be the Victory, English French and Spanish as langdon only do this single SOL. :sad:

Coog
09-20-2013, 15:48
I don't think my scale picture was as helpful as i thought it would be. A ruler would have been much more sensible. As such here is a picture with a ruler. After measuring i can confirm that the model is 9 inches long. Though once the bowsprit is fitted, it is likely to be a fair bit longer.

That does have rather a nice ring to it. "Admiral of the Fleet"! I shudder to think of building a whole fleet of these though. Perhaps Commodore might require a little less building. My 3 ships might then be enough. :salute:

I bit larger than I thought (the dimensions I came up with were on the net for the model in mm), but still an incredible job on detail.

Coog
09-20-2013, 15:53
Hi Rory,

That cannon annoyingly came loose from the lower deck, unfortunately since i glued the quarter deck down, i can't get the bugger back in. Now i just leave it randomly around on the quarter deck. I don't think anyone will notice it missing once the ship is done. so now i have once extra cannon, just in case.

The proverbial "loose cannon."

Moideeb
09-20-2013, 17:24

I think you just hit the nail on the head. :cannonboom:

Cmmdre
09-20-2013, 17:27

Incoming :takecover:

7eat51
09-20-2013, 18:56
I cannot imagine how large of an area would be needed to do Trafalgar in this scale. It would be impressive to see.

Chris, I appreciate your attitude about the cannon, and being unable to replace it. Looking at the work the modelers on this site produce can be intimidating for anyone just starting out. Seeing how all of you respond to mishaps is encouraging. We looking forward to the next round of pics.

Volunteer
09-20-2013, 22:34
Hi Vol, I was pretty confident you were joking, but then i thought just in case you weren't, it was so tiny it would cost pence to post, by sea mail, Its already got a sail so if i were to set it in the sea, it could catch the trade winds and you could pick it up in Chesapeake Bay in 29 days or so if the tides and winds are fair. :sly:

LOL just let me know when she sails and on day 30 I'll start the three day drive to meet her.:erk:

Devsdoc
09-21-2013, 08:18
Hi Rory,

Vol, you really don't want to get one of these beautiful 1:300 ships, Rory is right.

Buy loads instead that would be awesome! imagine Trafalgar with 50 of these babies! :rum: Unfortunately all 50 ships would have to be the Victory, English French and Spanish as langdon only do this single SOL. :sad:

Hi Chris,
You do not understand. Stop it now. Vol's has a mountain of 1-1200 ships to do and he is to old to change. So start doing the Victory badly, Shop it looking so good. Or Barb will kill him. Think of the wellbeing of your shipmates. If he gets a 1-300 ship, I'll come looking!!!!!!!:swordright: :swordleft: :happy:
Be safe
Rory

Volunteer
09-21-2013, 09:36
Hi Chris,
You do not understand. Stop it now. Vol's has a mountain of 1-1200 ships to do and he is to old to change. So start doing the Victory badly, Shop it looking so good. Or Barb will kill him. Think of the wellbeing of your shipmates. If he gets a 1-300 ship, I'll come looking!!!!!!!:swordright: :swordleft: :happy:
Be safe
Rory

Hey! I resemble that "OLD" remark. The part about the wife.................OK. Point taken. Really just 82 ships to go, not insurmountable. But it would be sooooooooo nice to try one of these 1:300 ships with all of the crisp detail:hmmm:.......dreaming........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :sleep:

csadn
09-21-2013, 16:26
That cannon annoyingly came loose from the lower deck, unfortunately since i glued the quarter deck down, i can't get the bugger back in.

This is why I Hate Glue -- it won't stick when I want it to; it will stick when I *don't*.

Moideeb
09-22-2013, 09:40
Hi Chris,
Be safe
Rory

Hey! I resemble that "OLD" remark. The part about the wife.................OK. Point taken. Really just 82 ships to go, not insurmountable. But it would be sooooooooo nice to try one of these 1:300 ships with all of the crisp detail:hmmm:.......dreaming........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :sleep:

Hi Vol, You really wouldn't want one of these 1:300 ships, they look much better in the photos than real life. 1:200 is definitely the way to go. If you don't believe me just ask Barb. :smack:

Moideeb
09-22-2013, 09:46
This is why I Hate Glue -- it won't stick when I want it to; it will stick when I *don't*.

I know what you mean, I use a ratio of 1 part glue and 3 parts swear words to make my models.

Mind you it does end up looking better than using sticky tape. :sly:

Cmmdre
09-22-2013, 10:06
I know what you mean, I use a ratio of 1 part glue and 3 parts swear words to make my models.

Mind you it does end up looking better than using sticky tape. :sly:

GLUE! 1 part glue is what has been missing from my formula. :embarass:

Devsdoc
09-22-2013, 11:22
GLUE! 1 part glue is what has been missing from my formula. :embarass:

Paul,
That 1 part gets on all the parts, but the part you wish to glue. Oh! and your fingers. :erk: :cry:
Be unglued and safe
Rory

csadn
09-22-2013, 16:34

Well, I have found using large amounts of Heated Language will melt the parts together.... ;)

"Welcome to 'Model-Building with R. Lee Ermey'...." >:)

But my plan would be to figure out how I could build the model such that the decks could be removed later, in the event stuff falls off.

Moideeb
09-23-2013, 08:22
Well, I have found using large amounts of Heated Language will melt the parts together.... ;)

"Welcome to 'Model-Building with R. Lee Ermey'...." >:)

But my plan would be to figure out how I could build the model such that the decks could be removed later, in the event stuff falls off.

You would struggle with any Langton model, as everything interconnects, thus removing decking later would be almost impossible. If you ever wanted to try though, embedding small rare earth magnets into bits of the model, would enable you to hold things together, and remove them where necessary. some of these magnets can be extremely tiny, yet very strong. I think you can even warm them first and set them in in liquid form.

Moideeb
09-23-2013, 08:31
I have just had a few days off work and discovered exactly why i am making this ship at work in the first place. I simply have no time at home. I thought i would bring a few bits home to work on, but didn't pick anything up once.

I was back at work again this morning though, so I have been able to add a little bit extra to the hull. The gammoning is now done on the bowsprit, the knights heads and boomkins are now attached, as are the fife rails on the forecastle. Bit by bit this model is inching forward.

Nightmoss
09-23-2013, 09:23
Nice close up shots to show how it's all coming together. Thanks for the continued postings!

csadn
09-23-2013, 14:24
If you ever wanted to try though, embedding small rare earth magnets into bits of the model,

Bleh -- I hate those things almost as much as I hate Glue.

I'd have to see the instructions for the kit before figuring out if it was possible to make it "deconstructable".

7eat51
09-23-2013, 15:10
She really is looking great, Chris.

Seeing the sails from one of your other ships in the background in the top closeup makes me wonder how she would photograph, when finished, with a scenic backdrop. Have you ever taken such photos?

Gunner
09-23-2013, 15:17
Chris

When you finish this, would you post the approximate amount of time invested in this project?

Moideeb
09-24-2013, 15:16
She really is looking great, Chris.

Seeing the sails from one of your other ships in the background in the top closeup makes me wonder how she would photograph, when finished, with a scenic backdrop. Have you ever taken such photos?

Not really, I took these when i first made the USS wasp. I never got around to doing any of HMS Juno. (before anyone mentions it, i know the Wasp being a Yankee ship would not have had Royal Marines onboard, I took a bit of artistic licence there, though i never went as far as flying the Union Jack from her.)

Though nearly all of the images you see on this thread are snaps from my iPhone while i'm sat at my desk. I am actually a professional photographer, though my pictures normally involve people or buildings rather than scale model ships. Once the Victory is finished i'll take some proper images of it, that can show it off properly.

Moideeb
09-24-2013, 15:18
Chris

When you finish this, would you post the approximate amount of time invested in this project?

I'll do my best, but I'm already loosing track a little bit on how long I've spent on it so far.

Coog
09-24-2013, 15:46
Not really, I took these when i first made the USS wasp. I never got around to doing any of HMS Juno. (before anyone mentions it, i know the Wasp being a Yankee ship would not have had Royal Marines onboard, I took a bit of artistic licence there, though i never went as far as flying the Union Jack from her.)

Actually you could be historically correct with British figures...and reflagging her with British colors. Wasp was captured by the British and served in the Royal Navy for a short time until she was lost at sea.

Here's a link with some information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wasp_(1807)

Nightmoss
09-24-2013, 16:12
Actually you could be historically correct with British figures...and reflagging her with British colors. Wasp was captured by the British and served in the Royal Navy for a short time until she was lost at sea.

Here's a link with some information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wasp_(1807)

I'm confused. Do we know if the Langton USS Wasp is the 1807 one or the 1813 one? I'm going to figure it's the one that became the HMS Peacock, but don't know that for certain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wasp_%281814%29

Nevermind. I just checked Langton's website and the description fits for the 1807 sloop of war. The subsequent USS Wasp had a more illustrious career, but was also lost at sea.

Coog
09-24-2013, 16:32
You can tell by looking at the side view and number of gun ports. The 1813 Wasp was somewhat bigger than the 1807 Wasp. She carried 4 more 32-pounder carronades and a larger crew. Learning from the advantage of having of having big frigates, the United States built the new sloops during the War of 1812 to be bigger and better gunned than enemy sloops and able to outrun anything bigger than them.

Moideeb
09-27-2013, 16:00
I think i have just found someone who might eclipse all of our efforts in terms of time spent building 1 ship. This person spent 10 years making this model of the victory from scratch. This guy has even made the victory to how it was on January 19, 1805 at 3.45pm precisely. that's pretty impressive, though it does make my victory seem somewhat amateurish by comparison. :dazed:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2219810/Magnificent-model-HMS-Victory-complete-Lord-Nelson-Captain-Hardy-deck-took-pensioner-10-years-complete.html

Gunner
09-27-2013, 16:25
Looking at that the skill used on that ship makes me feel like a kid playing with my toys.
Wait a minute! I'll always be a kid playing with my toys.:beer::minis::beer::pistole::beer:

Devsdoc
09-27-2013, 16:33
I think i have just found someone who might eclipse all of our efforts in terms of time spent building 1 ship. This person spent 10 years making this model of the victory from scratch. This guy has even made the victory to how it was on January 19, 1805 at 3.45pm precisely. that's pretty impressive, though it does make my victory seem somewhat amateurish by comparison. :dazed:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2219810/Magnificent-model-HMS-Victory-complete-Lord-Nelson-Captain-Hardy-deck-took-pensioner-10-years-complete.html

So Chris,
You must try harder. It looks as if you have time. Around 9 and bit years. But Rod Langton has done a lot of the work for you. I would think you can work faster with his help on the start. eg no planking or sewing etc. to do. I do not want to pressure you. We are waiting. :happy: :happy: :salute:
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
09-27-2013, 23:17
Chris, thanks for sharing that story. That is very, very impressive. I hope his grandson appreciates the depth of sacrifice, and rewards his grandfather by busting his own backside on his education.

Moideeb
10-01-2013, 15:18
So Chris,
You must try harder. It looks as if you have time. Around 9 and bit years. But Rod Langton has done a lot of the work for you. I would think you can work faster with his help on the start. eg no planking or sewing etc. to do. I do not want to pressure you. We are waiting. :happy: :happy: :salute:
Be safe
Rory

Well you do raise a good point. With all the planking and sewing etc done for me, i think i can shave a couple of years off the build time :sly:

Ive been really busy with work recently and progress has slowed a little but ive still been plodding forwards, I still intend to have this finished in the relatively near future though.

The most noticeable change is probably painting the gun ports from ochre to black. I'm not sure why i didn't paint them black to begin with now i think about it.

Also i have started painting some of the crew, i figure i'm going to need to start populating the ship before i go to much further into the build, otherwise i'll be breaking all sorts with my clumsy hands. when i try and add crew later. The crew you can see in the pictures so far is only about a third of the crew i ordered. If i can fit most of the crew i will, as i want the ship to look as crowded and alive as possible.

Devsdoc
10-01-2013, 16:08
Oh! Chris,
I think crew, lots of crew. I would say if you can, add more crew! She is looking good. If I had more space and money, I would buy into this scale. Alas I cannot on both points :cry:. So I thank you for letting me enjoy this model making thread second hand :salute:
Be safe
Rory

Devsdoc
10-01-2013, 16:25
Thanks Chris. From my vantage point, your large ship looks beautiful.

I can't imagine painting something like the 1:4800 in anything other than crude strokes in which the basics are painted, but details aren't. I am sure there are some here with the ability to do these justice, but I would probably do better leaving them as is. Rory, if you ever do one of these super small ones, please post some pics.

Best wishes on the Victory, Chris.

Sorry Eric,
Looking back at this thread and saw this post. No I have not done smaller scales, but would do than more than doing 1-300 scale.
Be safe
Rory

Devsdoc
10-01-2013, 17:24
Chris,
I've been thinking about your loose cannon! Could you thread some cotton through the missing cannons gun ports and ran it to the waist. Tie the thread to barrel and pull it slowly back into place. Using tweezers to lift the cannon by the barrel and add glue to the deck with a cocktail stick. Hold down the gun in place with the tweezers. Just a thought.
Be safe
Rory

Moideeb
10-02-2013, 01:18
Chris,
I've been thinking about your loose cannon! Could you thread some cotton through the missing cannons gun ports and ran it to the waist. Tie the thread to barrel and pull it slowly back into place. Using tweezers to lift the cannon by the barrel and add glue to the deck with a cocktail stick. Hold down the gun in place with the tweezers. Just a thought.
Be safe
Rory

Hi Rory,

thats a great idea and probably have worked before i fitted the rail to the quarter deck. Its effectively blocked any aperture big enough to fit the cannon through. I have been contemplating shaving down the gun carriage, removing the wheels and inserting it through the gun port. I'm still waiting on Rob langton for the extra cannon before i can try this though as the kit came with two cannon missing. They have apparently already posted the cannon, so i should be able to try this soon.

Thanks for the idea though!

Chris

Moideeb
10-03-2013, 14:32
Oh! Chris,
I think crew, lots of crew. I would say if you can, add more crew! She is looking good. If I had more space and money, I would buy into this scale. Alas I cannot on both points :cry:. So I thank you for letting me enjoy this model making thread second hand :salute:
Be safe
Rory

Any time. Do you think this will be enough crew for you? I'm actually thinking of ordering more climbing figures, as i would like to be able to have lots of crew on both the yards and the ratlines.

Moideeb
10-03-2013, 15:36
One of the best Naval books ive ever read.

I probably shouldn't include this here as its a book review, but for some reason i can't remember how to start a new thread. I'll move this post when i remember how.

I have Read all of The O'Brian Books, all the Hornblower and the Pearce books plus numerous books on the history of war at sea and its tactics. I have recently had the pleasure of reading 'Cochrane: The Story of Britannia's Sea Wolf' by Donald Thomas. Which i have to say is the best book i have read in years. I can't recommend this book highly enough. If this were fiction, most readers would struggle to believe it. The fact that this happened is amazing.

I loved O'Brian and will read it again one day, but it was almost disappointing to see so much of what i loved in the O'Brian books was exact copying of Thomas Cochrane's real life exploits. Most people know of Nelson, and less but still many know of the exploits of Sir Edward Pellew, I also Recommend -Commander: The Life and Exploits of Britain's Greatest Frigate Captain,which is a great book too.

First buy Cochrane: The Story of Britannia's Sea Wolf, it is a fantastic yet true tale of who i think is one of the best sea commanders that any navy has ever had. Napoleon himself called Cochrane "La loup de mer" (The Sea Wolf) His story is as fascinating and as varied as you can imagine. From battling the french fleet, Breaking out of english prison and marching into parliament, to leading his own navy, to planning on breaking out Napoleon from Elba to march on south america.

All i can say is read it and you will not be disappointed.

http://www.amazon.com/Cochrane-Britannias-Wolf-Donald-Thomas/dp/0304352829/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380836130&sr=8-1&keywords=Cochrane%3A+The+Story+of+Britannia%27s+Sea+Wolf

Devsdoc
10-03-2013, 16:30
Hi Chris,
Sorry I was late with my idea for you. About 740. She should of had around 800, But she was a little short-handed. O.K. some would be below decks, but a call of "ALL-HANDS" would bring most on deck and up the masts. Lots of crew, good luck. :erk: :cry: :embarass: :happy:
Be safe
Rory
P.S. 8 of which where women!

Moideeb
10-03-2013, 16:34
Hi Chris,
Sorry I was late with my idea for you. About 740. She should of had around 800, But she was a little short-handed. O.K. some would be below decks, but a call of "ALL-HANDS" would bring most on deck and up the masts. Lots of crew, good luck. :erk: :cry: :embarass: :happy:
Be safe
Rory
P.S. 8 of which where women!

:shock: I'll have to make sure to paint some skirts on some of the crew. :embarass:

Devsdoc
10-03-2013, 16:42
:shock: I'll have to make sure to paint some skirts on some of the crew. :embarass:

:happy: :drinks: Some Green Stuff I think for skirts and no looking up them. :smack:
Be safe
Rory

Moideeb
10-08-2013, 15:29
Here are some updates of my 'HMS Victory' build. I have been a little busy this recent week so haven't been able to keep up to date with my posts, but i have still managed to make some progress. The Netting and hammocks are now installed, and most of the crew are now painted.

The next step will be to place the crew, before assembling the masts (masts are just resting in there seats at the moment and are not glued in.) If i can i would love to have this finished by october 21st, but i don't know if that might be an ambitious target as its coming up fast.

Nightmoss
10-08-2013, 17:42
Wow! Looking really nice. Take your time and send photos when you can. After all, we have no expectations on any SoG stuff until sometime in November/December. This is the next best thing!

Berthier
10-09-2013, 03:43
Impressive work Chris, and I wasnt aware they placed the hammocks and netting across the ship as well as down the sides so I've learnt something as well. Are you going to put the nets up for falling debris as well?

Volunteer
10-09-2013, 07:25

I probably shouldn't include this here as its a book review, but for some reason i can't remember how to start a new thread. I'll move this post when i remember how.

I have Read all of The O'Brian Books, all the Hornblower and the Pearce books plus numerous books on the history of war at sea and its tactics. I have recently had the pleasure of reading 'Cochrane: The Story of Britannia's Sea Wolf' by Donald Thomas. Which i have to say is the best book i have read in years. I can't recommend this book highly enough. If this were fiction, most readers would struggle to believe it. The fact that this happened is amazing.

I loved O'Brian and will read it again one day, but it was almost disappointing to see so much of what i loved in the O'Brian books was exact copying of Thomas Cochrane's real life exploits. Most people know of Nelson, and less but still many know of the exploits of Sir Edward Pellew, I also Recommend -Commander: The Life and Exploits of Britain's Greatest Frigate Captain,which is a great book too.

First buy Cochrane: The Story of Britannia's Sea Wolf, it is a fantastic yet true tale of who i think is one of the best sea commanders that any navy has ever had. Napoleon himself called Cochrane "La loup de mer" (The Sea Wolf) His story is as fascinating and as varied as you can imagine. From battling the french fleet, Breaking out of english prison and marching into parliament, to leading his own navy, to planning on breaking out Napoleon from Elba to march on south america.

http://www.amazon.com/Cochrane-Britannias-Wolf-Donald-Thomas/dp/0304352829/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380836130&sr=8-1&keywords=Cochrane%3A+The+Story+of+Britannia%27s+Sea+Wolf

Read it, own it, you are 100% right about it.

csadn
10-09-2013, 16:21
Impressive work Chris, and I wasnt aware they placed the hammocks and netting across the ship as well as down the sides so I've learnt something as well. Are you going to put the nets up for falling debris as well?

They understood "high-velocity fragments", and the effects thereof; and since they didn't have metal for armor....

In a later conflict a similar approach would be seen in steamers "armored" in cotton bales. Don't laugh -- it worked (see Second Battle of Galveston for details).

Berthier
10-09-2013, 18:50
I've been reading a couple of books recently on the ACW at sea and the improvisations they used to fit out vessels. The Confederates were so short of iron they wrapped railway tracks onto woodensided vessels to "armour" them and basically bolted anything they could to the ship sides to protect the crew.

The cotton bales are a throw back in concept to similar earth filled bundles used for protection on land for centuries. I'm not sure what a cotton bale weighed but the cotton fibres would have formed a lattice network spreading in different directions in the bale allowing the capture of splinters and disspitation of force of projecticles hitting them. Very inventive.

Moideeb
10-10-2013, 14:33
Wow! Looking really nice. Take your time and send photos when you can. After all, we have no expectations on any SoG stuff until sometime in November/December. This is the next best thing!

Thats true, if there is one thing we all have to have on this site with SOG its patience, however I do still like the idea of the Victory being finished for Trafalgar day. Finished or not though, i have started adding gun crews and have now added Nelson and Hardy to the poop deck (derived from the Latin 'puppis', meaning the stern of a ship), so she can at least defend herself against rogue office paperwork. :cannonboom::takecover:

Moideeb
10-10-2013, 14:44
I've been reading a couple of books recently on the ACW at sea and the improvisations they used to fit out vessels. The Confederates were so short of iron they wrapped railway tracks onto woodensided vessels to "armour" them and basically bolted anything they could to the ship sides to protect the crew.

The cotton bales are a throw back in concept to similar earth filled bundles used for protection on land for centuries. I'm not sure what a cotton bale weighed but the cotton fibres would have formed a lattice network spreading in different directions in the bale allowing the capture of splinters and disspitation of force of projecticles hitting them. Very inventive.

Absolutely, they were also very useful for protection from musket fire. Though i think musket fire still counts as hish velocity fragments. :pistole:
Bosuns mates sometimes held metal hoops when stowing hammocks in the netting and if a mans rolled hammock didn't fit through the hoop he would be made to roll it again, i guess the tight compression added better protection.

Nightmoss
10-10-2013, 15:04
Thanks for the latest picture of the Victory. Good to see Nelson and Hardy both in command!

Gunner
10-10-2013, 15:06
Thats true, if there is one thing we all have to have on this site with SOG its patience, however I do still like the idea of the Victory being finished for Trafalgar day. Finished or not though, i have started adding gun crews and have now added Nelson and Hardy to the poop deck (derived from the Latin 'puppis', meaning the stern of a ship), so she can at least defend herself against rogue office paperwork. :cannonboom::takecover:

My God! I really envy your skill. To get as far as you have, would take me six months, at least. And I doubt if the end result would look near as good as yours.
Please keep sharing.

csadn
10-10-2013, 15:51

It helped that most cannons were still firing ball ammo -- big, blunt, and relatively slow. Conical shells would have ripped apart a cottonclad in moments (assuming the Union contractors weren't f***ing with the ammo -- the crew of CSS _Alabama_ reported after sinking USS _Hatteras_ that the "dud" shell found in the sternpost was a dud because instead of being filled with black powder, it was filled with black-painted *sand*...).

7eat51
10-10-2013, 17:16
I just ordered it and this book on Cochrane - http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Cochrane-Liberator-Dundonald-Classics/dp/0805059865/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_2

Thanks for the recommendation. amazon had both for $0.01 apiece in very good condition. Many other inexpensive copies remain.

As to your ship, Chris, she is looking great with the crew. I can't wait to see her completed.

Moideeb
10-11-2013, 06:13
My God! I really envy your skill. To get as far as you have, would take me six months, at least. And I doubt if the end result would look near as good as yours.
Please keep sharing.

Thank you for the kind comments. I in turn am constantly amazed by the skill of some of the models made by others on this site. Take Jim's 1:1200 HMS Victory. Its great fun to make though and I have really been enjoying the experience, plus it helps to pass the time while i wait for SOG to arrive.

Moideeb
10-11-2013, 06:16
I just ordered it and this book on Cochrane - http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Cochrane-Liberator-Dundonald-Classics/dp/0805059865/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_2

Thanks for the recommendation. amazon had both for $0.01 apiece in very good condition. Many other inexpensive copies remain.

As to your ship, Chris, she is looking great with the crew. I can't wait to see her completed.

A bargain! I paid a penny for mine as well when i bought it, though the postage often ends up being several pounds (or dollars), to make up for the penny price. Nevertheless, its a fantastic read, you are in for a treat! I'm sure Vol will agree.

Gunner
10-11-2013, 11:05
I also bought mine for a penny plus postage from Amazon.

Moideeb
10-11-2013, 14:12
Well thats all the crew boarded now, other than the topmen. Next step is to assemble the masts and bend on the sails now.

Nightmoss
10-11-2013, 16:00
Most excellent! It sure gives one a better sense of scale to see the crew on board (more like ants on deck in that last photo).

Devsdoc
10-11-2013, 17:52
Sorry Chris,
I think you need more crew.:takecover: :happy:
Looking good Chris
Be safe
Rory

Moideeb
10-13-2013, 13:52
Sorry Chris,
I think you need more crew.:takecover: :happy:
Looking good Chris
Be safe
Rory

Hmmm :pistole: :pray:

:wink:

Devsdoc
10-13-2013, 14:35
Oh! Chris,
You are a hard man and no fun. By the way! if you don't want more crew (I think your wrong), How about the ships cat????????
Be safe
Rory

Moideeb
10-13-2013, 14:50
Oh! Chris,
You are a hard man and no fun. By the way! if you don't want more crew (I think your wrong), How about the ships cat????????
Be safe
Rory

:-) unfortunately i think you may be right about the crew. I had better order some more. :cry: as for the ships cat, do you mean (a) or (b) :question:

(a)7244

(b)7245

Im going with (a) :g&t:

Moideeb
10-13-2013, 15:11
One question i have for people is: Should I place the ships boats in the waist? When at quarters the ships boats were always towed astern, however there really isn't enough room on the base to do that, so should i attach them to the ship, or leave them off? I

ts something i have been delaying on making a decision with, but i think i need to make it soon, before i start the rigging.

Cheers

Chris

Devsdoc
10-13-2013, 16:32
One question i have for people is: Should I place the ships boats in the waist? When at quarters the ships boats were always towed astern, however there really isn't enough room on the base to do that, so should i attach them to the ship, or leave them off? I

ts something i have been delaying on making a decision with, but i think i need to make it soon, before i start the rigging.

Cheers

Chris

I like "A" too. British ships had Skid Beams over the waist as you have on your model. It takes a long time to lower boats. So it was done if possible. I would leave them on the Skid Beams. (it would cover the lack of crew :happy:)
Be safe
Rory

Nightmoss
10-13-2013, 16:52
A) is probably better. Helps keep the rats and/or mice under control as well. I like Rory's suggestion on the boats.:thumbsup:

Moideeb
10-16-2013, 13:13
I like "A" too. British ships had Skid Beams over the waist as you have on your model. It takes a long time to lower boats. So it was done if possible. I would leave them on the Skid Beams. (it would cover the lack of crew :happy:)
Be safe
Rory

I think ill take your suggestion with putting the boats on the skid beams, it will cover the lack of some crew in the waist and ive done it on my other two models and it looks good. I have also taken your advice and added another 40+ crew. You were right, the decks now look far more alive, good call :hatsoff:

This is also my 100th post, so i say goodbye to my old rank of able seaman and join the midshipman's berth. Its a long way to go before i'll be wetting my swab, but im on the way. :rum:

Nightmoss
10-16-2013, 15:01
First off, congrats on your promotion. You know you have to buy everyone drinks now, right? ;)

The Victory is looking really stunning. The extra crew really does add to the overall activity feeling you get when you look down on the deck. :thumbsup: :salute:

Devsdoc
10-16-2013, 15:01
Hi Chris,
Yes, yes and yes! She is looking SO GOOD. I thank you listening to me. I know I have made more work for you sorry, but now she is looking like a working ship. I have been looking into lowering ships boat from the waist (skid beams) with Vol for 1-1200 scale ships It can be done. I now understand the work for the crew to do this job. If as at Trafalgar then yes! The boats go, they had hours in which to do this very long task. Add lines to the standing rigging and yardarms of the fore and main course, unship the boats, add lines to the ships boats (one at a time) X 2 or more then put it all back as before. The ship must also be stopped or going very slow to de all this work. So I would say more likely to have them on-board.
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
10-16-2013, 15:07
The crew effect looks excellent. Rory is right - a definite working ship.

Gunner
10-16-2013, 16:42
There couldn't be a naval museum on the planet that wouldn't want to display your ship.

Berthier
10-16-2013, 16:47
Wonderful Chris, simply wonderful!

Moideeb
10-20-2013, 04:52
First off, congrats on your promotion. You know you have to buy everyone drinks now, right? ;)

The Victory is looking really stunning. The extra crew really does add to the overall activity feeling you get when you look down on the deck. :thumbsup: :salute:

Thank you for the congrats! Though i rather thing your promotion to 2nd Lieutenant, rather eclipses my promotion and qualifies you for buying the drinks now. Congratulations :g&t::salute:

Hats off to Rory :hatsoff: You were totally right about needing more crew! I have to admit the idea of painting another 40 odd crew didn't fill me with joy, but the ship looks much better as a result.

I had my wisdom teeth removed on friday, and have been somewhat out of it for the last few days, so there will be a few more days before i can get onto starting the masts and rigging. My mouth currently feels like Rory has been practising with his 16th century surgery kit on it. :sick:

Moideeb
10-20-2013, 04:52

Thank you for the congrats! Though i rather thing your promotion to 2nd Lieutenant, rather eclipses my promotion and qualifies you for buying the drinks now. Congratulations :g&t::salute:

Hats off to Rory :hatsoff: You were totally right about needing more crew! I have to admit the idea of painting another 40 odd crew didn't fill me with joy, but the ship looks much better as a result.

I had my wisdom teeth removed on friday, and have been somewhat out of it for the last few days, so there will be a few more days before i can get onto starting the masts and rigging. My mouth currently feels like Rory has been practising with his 16th century surgery kit on it. :sick:

Nightmoss
10-20-2013, 09:17

Ed's promotion eclipsed both of ours, so I figure he's buying the drinks now? :happy:

Had my wisdom teeth removed (all four at once) many years ago. By all means take it easy until they're mending well. Last thing you need with them is infection or dry sockets.

Looking forward very must to seeing the masts and rigging work.

Take care.

Devsdoc
10-20-2013, 10:08
I'm having a tooth out on Monday 4th Nov. I will not be using my own stuff to do it. I don't wish to see, hear or know about it. I'm feeling sorry for myself already, and 2 weeks to go.
Be safe
Rory

Moideeb
10-21-2013, 12:40
In the spirit of Trafalgar Day.

Come, cheer up, my lads, 'tis to glory we steer,
To add something more to this wonderful year;
To honour we call you, as freemen not slaves,
For who are so free as the sons of the waves?
Chorus:
Heart of oak are our ships, jolly tars are our men,
We always are ready; steady, boys, steady!
We'll fight and we'll conquer again and again.
We ne'er see our foes but we wish them to stay,
They never see us but they wish us away;
If they run, why we follow, and run them ashore,
For if they won't fight us, what can we do more?
(Chorus)
They say they'll invade us these terrible foe,
They frighten our women, our children, our beaus,
But if should their flat bottoms, in darkness set oar,
Still Britons they'll find to receive them on shore.
(Chorus)
We still make them feel and we still make them flee,
And drub them ashore as we drub them at sea,
Then cheer up me lads with one heart let us sing,
Our soldiers and sailors, our statesmen and king.
(Chorus X2)
Alternative last verse:
Britannia triumphant her ships rule the seas,
Her watch word is justice her password is free,
So come cheer up my lad, with one heart let us sing,
Our soldiers, our sailors, our statesmen, our king[queen].
Alternate first verse:
Come, cheer up, my lads, 'tis to glory we steer,
With heads carried high, we will banish all fear;
To honour we call you, as freemen not slaves,
For who are so free as the sons of the waves?

Gunner
10-21-2013, 17:03
Ed's promotion eclipsed both of ours, so I figure he's buying the drinks now? :happy:

Ed will always buy the first two :beer::drinks:rounds. Anytime you feel the need to dry the salt water out of your lungs, steer to the Arizona desert. The only salt out here is on the lip of a Margareta.

Nightmoss
10-21-2013, 17:10
Ed will always buy the first two :beer::drinks:rounds. Anytime you feel the need to dry the salt water out of your lungs, steer to the Arizona desert. The only salt out here is on the lip of a Margareta.

On the rocks, no salt, please. I like margaritas a great deal. :happy:

btw, you've added something to your avatar? Or, did I just miss this before?

Gunner
10-21-2013, 18:08
I added a 17th century Polish naval War Jack.

Nightmoss
10-22-2013, 08:37
I added a 17th century Polish naval War Jack.

Very cool. Thanks for the info.

Moideeb
10-28-2013, 14:10
Here is the latest on my build of the Victory. I haven't done any updates for a while, as i ended up taking a week off work after having my wisdom teeth removed. My god, i had no idea how painful it can be afterwards, especially when you get dry socket. Anyway enough said about that.

I have now attached the shrouds, which i had some problems with, being that i had placed the chainplates too far aft earlier in the build, especially on the mizzen mast. They work though and don't look too bad. I think, once they have people on them and the sails are bent on with the rigging, this mistake won't be that noticeable. I have also began to shape and paint the sails.

In a move that I'm sure Rory will approve i have spoken with Rod Langton and ordered many more top men to line the spars and shrouds to help keep that working ship feel.

Unrelated to this build I've also ordered some small islands and a few 1:1200 martello towers to add as scenery for when sails of glory arrives. I will post pictures of these once they are painted.

Devsdoc
10-28-2013, 16:20
Hi Chris,
Yes! I do like the idea of more crew. I'm making you spend more money and more work. A part of me is sorry, but a part of me thinks I'm right. By the way I think your ship looks great.
I too have a small and large island from Rod. I am going to order one more small island. I have not done them yet, but saw one this year at Gosport. It was a part of a WW2 game. It looked so good. I asked if I could have a closer look. I fell in love with it before being told it was one of Langton's. Vol thinks my shore-lines I have made look O.K., so asked me why buy his? Mine are O.K. but his are, just so! and the weight of them is good. My handmade shore-lines are light. But the shape and size lets them lock into my harbour, which is heavy. If I made islands they would be too light and move around the table. Langton's are best and I'm so looking forward to doing them.
I wish you good modelling.
Be safe
Rory

Nightmoss
10-28-2013, 17:05
Chris, your work on the Victory is a joy to look at. Thanks for posting the latest photos. The ship, crew and rigging are really coming together nicely!!

Sorry to hear you had a lot of pain with the wisdom teeth. I think that's why they always prefer doing all four at once. Folks would never come back after the pain of having just one removed.

Coog
10-28-2013, 17:24
Love all the crew figures. Makes it more of a diorama than a model.

7eat51
10-28-2013, 19:39
She's looking lovely, Chris, and the sails look great. I agree with Rory; having more crew, especially above the deck working the sails, will look great.

Moideeb
11-02-2013, 15:13
Hi Chris,
Yes! I do like the idea of more crew. I'm making you spend more money and more work. A part of me is sorry, but a part of me thinks I'm right. By the way I think your ship looks great.
I too have a small and large island from Rod. I am going to order one more small island. I have not done them yet, but saw one this year at Gosport. It was a part of a WW2 game. It looked so good. I asked if I could have a closer look. I fell in love with it before being told it was one of Langton's. Vol thinks my shore-lines I have made look O.K., so asked me why buy his? Mine are O.K. but his are, just so! and the weight of them is good. My handmade shore-lines are light. But the shape and size lets them lock into my harbour, which is heavy. If I made islands they would be too light and move around the table. Langton's are best and I'm so looking forward to doing them.
I wish you good modelling.
Be safe
Rory

Love all the crew figures. Makes it more of a diorama than a model.

Its been a while since my last post, I've been working each evening, and haven't had any chances to post my updates. Still i can't complain as i do get paid for it and allows me to keep buying these ships etc. :happy:
Having finally painted the 60 topmen, I've now began gluing and lashing the yards and sails to the masts.

I do agree that this is turning into a diorama, I think having so many crew helps to distract from some of my many mistakes I've made along the way, which can never be a bad thing.

As for the islands and martello towers, they all arrived from Langton last week. They look really nice and i agree with Rory that the wait will stop them moving about in the game., but I'm going to finish the victory before i embark on painting those. Hopefully should have them painted and ready just before all my ships arrive.

Gunner
11-02-2013, 16:36
I am so in awe of your ship:hatsoff:. I hope it stays in your family for generation to come.

Moideeb
11-03-2013, 03:17
I am so in awe of your ship:hatsoff:. I hope it stays in your family for generation to come.

Cheers Ed, though i think it more likely that when my wife and i have moved on as it were, my son may well say, "what shall we do with dads ships, Skip (dumpster)?"

Gunner
11-03-2013, 06:34
Cheers Ed, though i think it more likely that when my wife and i have moved on as it were, my son may well say, "what shall we do with dads ships, Skip (dumpster)?"

Tell them that the very least they could do, is send it to Ol' Davey:salute: in the Bristol Channel.:cry:

Cmmdre
11-03-2013, 11:10
Brilliant work Chris. Very impressive. :thumbsup:

Comte de Brueys
11-03-2013, 13:07
Wow.

This model is incredible detailed. :erk:

Chris, your patience is amazing. :thumbsup:

7eat51
11-03-2013, 13:22
Chris, you are an incredible modeler. You are bringing your ship to life. I can't get over the quality of your sails, water, crew, actually, the whole ensemble. Really well done.

DeRuyter
11-06-2013, 10:41
+1 Very impressive! I used to paint those 6mm blokes, but alas my eyes can't take it anymore!

Can't wait to see the rig completed.

Moideeb
11-06-2013, 14:48
Thanks for all the comments guys. It feels good to finally be close to finishing. Now I'm just trying to decide how complicated to make the rigging. I'm undecided to bother with adding blocks (bits of telephone wire casing as to small for wooden blocks) or to save myself some trouble and keep it simple like the juno's rigging in the background. I think i may have already decided though. More work to go... Painting those 6mm blokes has hurt my eyes too. Thank goodness i have no more crew to add.

Devsdoc
11-07-2013, 17:04
Hi Chris,
Been away, then my computer crashed (computer doc took 5 hours to clean it up). The dentist should have taken my tooth out on Monday, took one look at it and said NO WAY! So back to him on the 19th for the big one OMG!
I just love your ship and crew. I'm happy!!!!! I would stand 6 or more feet away from her and look. This will I think give you a better idea about the rigging. What would and can I see?
Be safe
Rory

Moideeb
11-14-2013, 14:23
With sails of glory now possibly only a few more weeks away, It feels like a good time to be almost finished with the Victory. Soon i can start playing instead of modelling for a while, though i still expect i'll add some basic rigging with the SOG ships.

On the victory, I have now attached all of the sails and most of the standard rigging. I only have some of the backstays left to add on the standard rigging and most of the running rigging left to do. Once thats done then its just some small details such as stern lanterns and the davits to hang ships boats by the poop deck. It feels good to be so close to finishing this now, as it feels like I've been working on it for a long time, though i suspect i'll miss it rather quickly once it is complete, as its been a great lunchtime project for me.

Cmmdre
11-14-2013, 20:21
Beautiful model Chris. Outstanding. :thumbsup:

7eat51
11-14-2013, 21:58
Beautiful model Chris. Outstanding. :thumbsup:

Hear, hear.

You do truly admirable work.

Gunner
11-14-2013, 22:18
Have you thought about a case or diorama for the ship yet?

Berthier
11-15-2013, 01:07
Looks magnificent, standing rigging really adds to the impact

Moideeb
11-15-2013, 06:13
Thanks for the comments, 1:300 is a really nice scale to work with, and the langton kit is so detailed its great.

Have you thought about a case or diorama for the ship yet?

I have, i haven't bothered with cases for the other two ships, but i want to for this one. Im having trouble finding one though, so may have to comision someone to make me one. I Think having a painting for the background is definitely the way to go. I have a couple in mind, that i think will really set the ship in context.

Devsdoc
11-15-2013, 16:18
Hi Chris,
She is beautiful. I wish you had some more photos, top down, stern, and side stern to show the rigging.:pray:Please!
Be safe
Rory

Moideeb
11-17-2013, 03:38
Hi Chris,
She is beautiful. I wish you had some more photos, top down, stern, and side stern to show the rigging.:pray:Please!
Be safe
Rory

Here are a few different angles for you, I'm afraid I only remembered as i was walking out the office door, so these were very hurried snaps in dark conditions and haven't come out too well. I promise i will take a whole array of angles with a proper camera, as soon as i finally finish. Annoyingly i have run out of black thread, with only two backstays left to do, so i have had to order some more. I have done over half the running rigging now and only have the remainder of that plus attaching the last two ships boats, a title bit of touching up here and there, then I'm done.

Gunner
11-17-2013, 06:31
Thanks for the treat.

Devsdoc
11-17-2013, 15:33
Hi Chris,
Thanks, I love her and the crew. Your sails look so good I can see them moving. Can I ask Why is the running rigging going to the middle of the standing rigging and not to the next mast back? I'm not criticizing just asking.
Be safe
Rory

Moideeb
11-17-2013, 16:06
Thanks for the treat.

Your welcome

Hi Chris,
Thanks, I love her and the crew. Your sails look so good I can see them moving. Can I ask Why is the running rigging going to the middle of the standing rigging and not to the next mast back? I'm not criticizing just asking.
Be safe
Rory

Many thanks for the compliments. :g&t: the main reason for doing the running rigging this way was that's how it's done in rod langton's rigging diagrams. I checked it out and it looks like rigging the running rigging through the standing rigging with blocks was used. Though looking at the victory current day the running rigging seems to go back to the previous mast. If you look at hms victory rigging diagrams you will see my method, though it looks much better with blocks, I couldn't find any small enough for this scale. Hence why it may look a little odd. Also the fall of the running rigging is not 100% correct! it's more where I can actually fit fingers or tweezers to tie it off as close as possible to where it's meant to be,

Coog
11-17-2013, 16:13
Unbelievable job! Definitely the best project on the site thus far!:medal:

DeRuyter
11-18-2013, 14:17
:hatsoff:

Love the weathered look of the sails! Awesome model!

Moideeb
11-20-2013, 14:24
Unbelievable job! Definitely the best project on the site thus far!:medal:

Love the weathered look of the sails! Awesome model!

Many thanks! :hats off:

Moideeb
11-20-2013, 15:46
Its Finished.

It's taken a long time to finish, but I'm really pleased with how the Victory has come out, I've made a lot of mistakes with this model, but i think as a whole most of them are hard to see and i had a lot of fun making it. I can see why most people don't war-game in this scale, it would take far too long to ever build a fleet, not to mention how much room it would take up for a battle.

Here are some pictures of the finished HMS Victory in 1:300 scale. Made from Rod Langton's fantastically detailed kit. (apologies for the people in the background, its a very busy office at the moment)

Alsom thanks to Whitejamest (http://www.sailsofglory.org/member.php?179-Whitejamest), who's blog i found long time ago, and who's amazing 1:300 model of the USS wasp, convinced me to start on 1:300 scale in the first place. After making the Wasp, Juno and now the Victory, James you have cost me a lot of money.

Now I'm ready for my sails of glory ship to arrive so i can work on those. :happy:

Nightmoss
11-20-2013, 15:55
You should be very proud! It looks spectacular. Congratulations on a beautiful ship model. :hatsoff: :salute:

Moideeb
11-20-2013, 15:59
You should be very proud! It looks spectacular. Congratulations on a beautiful ship model. :hatsoff: :salute:

:thanks: I look forward to seeing what you will do with your USS Wasp.

7eat51
11-21-2013, 07:30
Chris, thank you for sharing this build with us. You have done a truly amazing job. She is lovely. :hatsoff:

Congratulations on the newest addition to your collection. :g&t:

Union Jack
11-21-2013, 10:38
File 13. But an utterley fantastic model, surely your son would never.......

csadn
11-21-2013, 14:24
File 13. But an utterley fantastic model, surely your son would never.......

Of course he would.

And don't call him Surely. :)

Moideeb
11-21-2013, 14:57
Of course he would.

And don't call him Surely. :)

:sly:

Rumack: What was it we had for dinner tonight?
Elaine Dickinson: Well, we had a choice of steak or fish.
Rumack: Yes, yes, I remember, I had lasagna.

Devsdoc
11-21-2013, 17:09
Hi Chris,
She looks so good. I'm sorry this thread will come to an end. Thank you so much.:salute:
By safe
Rory

csadn
11-22-2013, 15:43
:sly:

Rumack: What was it we had for dinner tonight?
Elaine Dickinson: Well, we had a choice of steak or fish.
Rumack: Yes, yes, I remember, I had lasagna.

Actually, this may not be a Joke -- if one has dietary restrictions, one can often arrange an alternate. In this case, Rumack could have ordered a vegetarian plate (which leads me to wonder if he suspected something was wrong with food-service at LAX, and was on that flight to head off catastrophe... >;) ).

Whitejamest
11-24-2013, 12:02
Chris, this is really beautiful work and a joy to behold. I'm really flattered that you found some inspiration on my blog. I make no apologies for the money you've spent, as the rest of us have benefited from your outlays! (But I sympathize, it's brutal on the wallet, I know!)
Now I need to actively fight against the urge to acquire a Victory model. That may be your revenge.....

- James

Пилот
11-28-2013, 02:53
Chris,

she looks awesome! More than well done!