PDA

View Full Version : On this day 24 July - Nelson loses right arm at the Battle of Santa Cruz de Tenerife

7eat51
07-24-2013, 08:08
On the 24th of July 1797, Rear-Admiral Horatio Nelson lost his right arm in the midst of the Battle of Santa Cruz de Tenerife. Unhappy with how the battle had progressed thus far, Nelson led a boat attack on the night of the 24th. As the British approached the shore, they came under heavy fire from batteries, and upon landing and disembarking, were fired upon by soldiers and citizens from house terraces and windows. As he landed, Nelson was hit in his right arm and began bleeding profusely. Lieutenant Nisbet, Nelson’s stepson, provided aid by using part of his neck handkerchief as a tourniquet. Refusing to utilize the HMS Seahorse, a nearby frigate, as a transport to his own flagship, he was rowed back by sailors; Nelson did not want Captain Fremantle of the Seahorse to have to raise a flag of distress for fear of demoralizing the crews onboard the ships. Nelson’s surgeon, Captain Fremantle, amputated most of the Admiral’s right arm, and soon thereafter, Nelson resumed command of the battle.

Upon reaching his flagship, Nelson refused to be helped aboard, and is cited as saying, "Let me alone! I have got my legs left and one arm." Similarly, upon reaching his surgeon's table, Nelson is cited as saying, “Doctor, I want to get rid of this useless piece of flesh here”.

Rear-Admiral Horatio Nelson – wounded:

The Battle:

For more on today’s event and the Battle of Santa Cruz de Tenerife:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Santa_Cruz_de_Tenerife_(1797)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horatio_Nelson,_1st_Viscount_Nelson

Naharaht
07-24-2013, 23:35
This goes to show how tough and determined Horatio Nelson was.

Berthier
07-25-2013, 02:38
Clever painting of Nelson in the boat. Despite his wounds he wont let go of his sword now placed in the left hand signifying the unbroken spirit of Nelson (and the RN), but all those guys are standing in a boat tossing in the swell seems unlikely. One of the junior officers has his hands clasped in prayer. Yes it is a little silly to modern eyes but reflective of the paintings of the period which were as much for propaganda and public consumption purposes and less if at all for historical authenticity. The red jackets I guess are marines (holding pikes), leaving few seamen to actually row the small boat back to his flagship. The two in the rear are holding muskets, one may be a seaman, the other looks like a non combatant. The picture is cleverly constructed with all eyes (apart from the sailor on guard in the rear) focussed on the wounded Nelson who gazes to the heavens and we seem to have representatives of all the services present in the painting. Nelson half lies propped in an improbable position that looks quite uncomfortable and may have been derived from pictures of christ being removed from the cross. The injured arm is hidden from view. It's actually quite an interesting piece despite it's lack of subtlety to us.

7eat51
07-25-2013, 06:17
Daniel, that is an excellent analysis. I remember when I first learned about paintings, and how the artists were conveying meanings just like you described. It opened up a whole new world to me in appreciating the art on its own terms. What appeared to be poor technique on the artists' part was really poor interpretation on my part.

Your mention of the possible parallel with Christ reminded me of the film Cool Hand Luke. The entire egg eating contest replays many of the scenes of the Passion. The final shot has Paul Newman lying on the table in the position of Christ upon the cross. It is an amazing scene.

Berthier
07-25-2013, 06:39
And who can forget the final scene from Omega man (I think!) with Charlton Heston lying dead in the fountain with side wound and arms in the crucifix position...actually it was awfully clumsy but I still remember the scene but might have the movie wrong:happy: