PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that have played a SoG demo...

GrouperKicker
07-23-2013, 09:36
For those of you that have played a SoG demo or have seen a demo kit, can you tell us what the stat/ship card differences are for ships in the same class?

David Manley
07-23-2013, 11:49
There are some slight gunnery differences between some of the ships. For example, the British Concorde has slightly better gunnery factors than the French Hermione of the same class, reflecting the armament modifications after she was captured and bought into RN service. Similarly for the French Embuscade and the British Terpsichore, and the French Genereux and British Impeteux. From what I can see only the Belerophon / Berwick par retain the same gunnery factors.

That said the variation is small (typically only 1 point in a partial broadside), and in a few cases the break points in the number of "small arms" shots available varies to reflect differing crew numbers.

Gunner
07-23-2013, 15:08
I'm glad to hear they incorporated realistic gunnery differences.

BSG_Fan
07-27-2013, 07:21
There are some slight gunnery differences between some of the ships. For example, the British Concorde has slightly better gunnery factors than the French Hermione of the same class, reflecting the armament modifications after she was captured and bought into RN service. Similarly for the French Embuscade and the British Terpsichore, and the French Genereux and British Impeteux. From what I can see only the Belerophon / Berwick par retain the same gunnery factors.

That said the variation is small (typically only 1 point in a partial broadside), and in a few cases the break points in the number of "small arms" shots available varies to reflect differing crew numbers.

Do you know if there are differences between ships of the same class and same nationality? For example, are the Juno, Terpsichore, and Cleopatra all identical since they're all Amazon class, or are there slight differences in them to make them a little more interesting?

Gunner
07-27-2013, 16:20
Since they all seem to have the same guns, 26x12lb, 6x18lb, 6x6lb (and Marines?), my guess:question: is that all cards would be the same.

Diamondback
07-27-2013, 21:21
There might be minor variations for things like musketry and boarding, but I'd expect that unless a ship had a rep for superior gunnery the weps stats would be close to the same across the class. There WERE occasionally variant re-armaments, like slapping four extra cannons onto some 32's or the transition from all short/medium 9-pounders to 32# carronades...

BSG_Fan
08-29-2013, 01:11
Do you know if there are differences between ships of the same class and same nationality? For example, are the Juno, Terpsichore, and Cleopatra all identical since they're all Amazon class, or are there slight differences in them to make them a little more interesting?

Quick bump for this question after GenCon. Can anyone who has played a demo tell us if ships of the same class and nationality have identical statistics?

Nightmoss
08-29-2013, 09:21
Quick bump for this question after GenCon. Can anyone who has played a demo tell us if ships of the same class and nationality have identical statistics?

I only got to do one demo so I can't answer this question. This is an excellent question I wish I would have asked. The one thing I got from the demo I hadn't picked up on in the rules or videos was the maneuver rating on ships impacting/limiting which cards you could put down during play.

So if a ship has a 7 maneuver rating you can never put two maneuver cards in sequence that have a range greater than that number. A '2' maneuver followed by a '5' is OK. A '2' maneuver followed by a '10' would not be allowed. I liked this added consideration, making you think even more about the ships movement in relation to your opponent.