PDA

View Full Version : What does your hobby/work bench look like?

Old Ironsides
07-13-2013, 22:57
Shared on the Aerodrome as well.

I had a rare free day and no one was available for gaming. In addition to getting some house hold projects done as well as some hobby painting projects completed I decided to thoroughly clean and organize my hobby bench.

I figured I better get some pics before I thoroughly mess it up again. :)

My hobby area is small unfinished walk way between my back room(gaming room) and the bathroom/laundry in the basement. The bench is left over from a model railroad layout that tunneled trough the wall and works perfect as it is chest high for standing and working or sitting on a high stool.

Looking in from my back room:
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/adfilter/Man%20Cave/20130713_232416_zps64e4d2a6.jpg (http://s441.photobucket.com/user/adfilter/media/Man%20Cave/20130713_232416_zps64e4d2a6.jpg.html)

Primary work area (small ACW project on the left):
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/adfilter/Man%20Cave/20130713_232436_zpsad3be0b4.jpg (http://s441.photobucket.com/user/adfilter/media/Man%20Cave/20130713_232436_zpsad3be0b4.jpg.html)

Extra supplies under the bench:
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/adfilter/Man%20Cave/20130713_232446_zpsea70980e.jpg (http://s441.photobucket.com/user/adfilter/media/Man%20Cave/20130713_232446_zpsea70980e.jpg.html)

The majority of my mini collections ready for action:
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/adfilter/Man%20Cave/20130713_232753_zps0954e190.jpg (http://s441.photobucket.com/user/adfilter/media/Man%20Cave/20130713_232753_zps0954e190.jpg.html)

So you have seen mine, let's see yours........

Cmmdre
07-14-2013, 08:05
Nice work space Aaron. I wish I had as much room as you do. I battled with my wife like I was taking Omaha Beach to gain access to 3x3 end of a table. Even that was and is a source of sniping that I still have to defend from time to time. We have a very small place and not much room for anything.

7eat51
07-14-2013, 08:42
Aaron, I read your initial post on the 'Drome late last night. I almost posted an invitation to stay with us for a week and to help organize our house. Sue and I set a goal of ridding 30% of what is in our home by year's end. At the same time, I have been buying gaming stuff like crazy. Bye bye to so many other intended projects. In the last few weeks, we have bought so many organizing trays at Jo Ann Fabrics - nice sale - that I have been able to consolidate a lot of gaming boxes into a much smaller space. It does feel good. I found some great containers to sort and store my WoG decks. If you don't mind sharing, I would like to see some pics of the inside of your traveling bags. I am still figuring out a storage system that will work for taking my stuff on the road. I read through some nice threads on the 'Drome, but new ideas are always welcome. I will take a couple of pics today of some of the storage trays and how I am using them.

We watched several episodes of the show Small Space, Big Style. They're on Hulu. We have gotten quite a few ideas from them. After the first episode we watched, I finally decided to go ahead and buy some Case Logic containers and transfer my film collection from their original cases to the CL albums. That move alone, transformed the room.

Best wishes Paul.

Cmmdre
07-14-2013, 09:18
Thank you Eric. It's a struggle where to put all the stuff we acquire. :hmmm: :question: :hmmm:

Old Ironsides
07-14-2013, 09:42
Eric,

At the same time I have been greatly reducing my hobbies in the last few months since I ordered SoG. So far I have sold off over $1500 in games and minis I have never even played or had not used in a long time. I tend to be a bit of a collector/horder when it comes to games. It have been liberating moving some stuff out and getting decent cash along the way. A couple years ago after my first deployment I did the same thing parting with most of my childhood toys.

The nice thing is that my hobbies are self sustaining right now including paying for my SoG order. :-)

As for organizing I will take some pics and do a blog post. I will admit at time it seems I spend more time organizing than playing. As you can see in the pics I am a big fan of soft side tackle boxes with Plano style organizers for my CMG style games which are not as delicate. I have bought several of the Army Transporter bags and trays for my more delicate true minis.

My area has not always looked like this, but the more I get rid of and consolidate to down to my true interests which is still a lot of stuff.

My next project is to take down the remaining small Scale layout that my some was building and since abandoned and then sell off the majority of my large N scale collection. I anticipate this will net $1500-2000 and more importantly free up a large amount of space in my small game room which might allow me to actually leave some game tables set up of extended periods. :-)

More to come.......

Cmmdre
07-14-2013, 09:51
Good for you Aaron. Getting some cash out of your older collections is always a nice feeling in the pocketbook. Especially these days. You are an inspiration for my getting organized. I've been on a slow push to organize, not necessarily jettison, although that too will come in the future. :minis:

7eat51
07-14-2013, 11:44
Thank you Eric. It's a struggle where to put all the stuff we acquire. :hmmm: :question: :hmmm:

We recently parted with wedding gifts that were still in their boxes, never used. Next spring makes 20 years for Sue and me. It is amazing what happens when you open cupboards etc. that you haven't really looked in for years. We cleared out so much in our kitchen cabinets, that we were able to remove a baker's rack out of the kitchen, greatly increasing the openness and flow of the room. More importantly, we passed on all these items to folks who can and will actually use them. Now, we're moving through each room.

Eric,

At the same time I have been greatly reducing my hobbies in the last few months since I ordered SoG. So far I have sold off over $1500 in games and minis I have never even played or had not used in a long time. I tend to be a bit of a collector/horder when it comes to games. It have been liberating moving some stuff out and getting decent cash along the way.

We're on a similar journey. Haven't sold anything yet, but as I realistically decide on which games we will go forward with, I think we will have some to sell. Because I don't have large collections of given things, it has been far easier simply giving stuff away. If I part with Advanced Squad Leader, I would have a sizable collection that will make the effort of selling worth it. Going forward, I want to focus on tactical naval (ancients, age-of-sail, ACW, and WWI), WWI air, and WWII tactical. I have several good WWII tactical systems that makes the future of my ASL collection questionable. I find it interesting that my first three wargame experiences in the '70s were Richthofen's War, WS&IM, and Tobruk, and the three genre of games I want to play and read on are aligned with these, though the tactical navy is a bit broader. Nurture or nature?

Nightmoss
07-14-2013, 12:57
I will confess right up front that my hobby/work bench area extends over half the basement (including an n scale railroad, computer games, board games, books and more). It's not particularly organized, but I know pretty much where everything is. It's on my "to do" list to get organized, but more importantly downsize, but I keep getting sucked in by more games, books and miniatures. Hopefully I won't end up on that tv show, Hoarders. :)

A few pictures to illustrate some of the 'mess'.

Berthier
07-15-2013, 04:48
Wow Jim!:envy:

Old Ironsides
07-15-2013, 07:37
Jim,

Love the layout..wish I had the room. Had to make the choice of train are or gaming area and went with games.

In the process of completing inventory of my N Scale collection to sell off. My day and I started a S scale (American Flyer collection several years ago so my plan is to help him which will be a way to get my Model RR time in. ;)

Nightmoss
07-15-2013, 09:20
Jim,

Love the layout..wish I had the room. Had to make the choice of train are or gaming area and went with games.

In the process of completing inventory of my N Scale collection to sell off. My day and I started a S scale (American Flyer collection several years ago so my plan is to help him which will be a way to get my Model RR time in. ;)

My brother and I shared an American Flyer set many years ago. If you're not already aware of it you should check out TrainFest in Milwaukee in November or the Madison Train Show in February. TrainFest is huge and has lots of S scale content.

Old Ironsides
07-15-2013, 11:56
My brother and I shared an American Flyer set many years ago. If you're not already aware of it you should check out TrainFest in Milwaukee in November or the Madison Train Show in February. TrainFest is huge and has lots of S scale content.

Use to attend both, but stopped going to Milwaukee a few years ago as they seemed to cut back on vendors and displays at the time and I have not been back. Always try to make Madison Tarinfest as it seems to have the most AF displays as well as vendors selling AF. My dad usually walks away with something new for the collection. ;)

If you have not been the Toy Train Barn in Argyle WI is well worth the trip as well.

http://youtu.be/4wLxj_YmPXw

Just about every scale is represented and tons of old stuff. They recycle everything to make some excellent displays.

Nightmoss
07-15-2013, 13:24
Use to attend both, but stopped going to Milwaukee a few years ago as they seemed to cut back on vendors and displays at the time and I have not been back. Always try to make Madison Tarinfest as it seems to have the most AF displays as well as vendors selling AF. My dad usually walks away with something new for the collection. ;)

If you have not been the Toy Train Barn in Argyle WI is well worth the trip as well.

http://youtu.be/4wLxj_YmPXw

Just about every scale is represented and tons of old stuff. They recycle everything to make some excellent displays.

Thanks for the link. Looks like a great place to visit.

Devsdoc
07-15-2013, 14:18
Hi All,
Don't laugh, I work from my lap. I put a white (O.K. not so white) linen sheet over my knee put my hobby-room on a puff (stool) in front of me and start. I spray on a log in our back yard and sometimes use our dinning table for the bigger stuff.

Be safe
Rory

Nightmoss
07-15-2013, 20:17
I like your compact working area, Rory. What ship are you working on in that photo if you don't mind my asking?

Coog
07-15-2013, 20:48
Micro-Mark is running a big sale on its 30th anniversary. It might be worth while to see if there are any micro-drills, files, or other tools for modeling you can use at your work bench. Here's a link to them:

http://www.micromark.com/

Here's an item I've used a lot:

http://www.micromark.com/12-piece-swiss-pattern-needle-file-set,6787.html

7eat51
07-15-2013, 22:22
Thank you for the heads up and links Bobby.

Old Ironsides
07-16-2013, 09:43
Hi All,
Don't laugh, I work from my lap. I put a white (O.K. not so white) linen sheet over my knee put my hobby-room on a puff (stool) in front of me and start. I spray on a log in our back yard and sometimes use our dinning table for the bigger stuff.

Be safe
Rory

That is awesome I completed the majority of my RJW fleets in the living room using a very small laptop stand so I could watch TV and be around the family at the same time. Still have the stand and will occasionally take a project upstairs.

Devsdoc
07-16-2013, 12:15
I like your compact working area, Rory. What ship are you working on in that photo if you don't mind my asking?

She is the Russian "Siafail" a 74 gun. you may get sick of her in time as I am going to use her as my step by stay guild to rigging. I'm going to do this rigging first as she is bigger than the 50 gun I'm going to paint.

That is awesome I completed the majority of my RJW fleets in the living room using a very small laptop stand so I could watch TV and be around the family at the same time. Still have the stand and will occasionally take a project upstairs.

You are a man after my own heart. Do you take your rude models upstairs? :embarass: :salute:
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
07-16-2013, 12:27
Rory, looking forward to seeing your rigging guide.