PDA

View Full Version : While We Wait-Santa Ana

Nightmoss
07-12-2013, 16:07
OK, I promise I wont post a photo series on every ship I build, but it gives me something to do while we wait for SoG. Besides, the feedback from folks here really helps with the improvement of the modeling too!

While my plan was to work on the Santissima Trinidad next, I got sidetracked when I ordered more stuff from Waterloo Minis.

I found the history of the Santa Ana especially interesting. Not only did she survive Trafalgar, as it was captured by the British, but then recaptured by the French/Spanish shortly after.

According to some accounts both the Santa Ana and the Rayo were painted all black with red stripes. I found one painting that interprets this scheme, also showing the Royal Sovereign breaking the line and attacking the Santa Ana.
Seen here along with some other great illustrations. http://www.naval-art.com/naval_print.php?ProdID=11479

What you'll see beside and below the painting is my attempt to show the Santa Ana as it was before the battle. In other accounts and earlier versions I think the Santa Ana was painted yellow and black, the more traditional scheme for many Spanish ships of this time.

Up next will be the rigging and base work. A diorama with the Santa Ana and Royal Sovereign would be fun, but I'd have to get the 'at quarters' versions for that, if they're even available.

Also, here's a small section from the Spanish website I'm visiting to get more history detail for many of the ships I'm working on: http://www.todoababor.es/listado/navio-santaana2.htm

(Google translated)

"During the Battle of Trafalgar was commanded by Captain Gardoqui, with logo Navy admiral Don Ignacio M. Alava. He had 97 dead and 141 wounded. He had a legendary battle with the three-decker Vice Admiral Collingwood, Royal Sovereign, that after the battle as a result of his confrontation with the Santa Ana had to be towed with severe damage to Gibraltar, while Collingwood had to move your logo to the Euralyus frigate. The Santa Ana was also dismasted and battered and was captured by the British, but was returned to damming days later the ships that left Cadiz, being able happily to that city by the French frigate towed Tethis.

The February 20, 1806 became the Carrack to repair the serious damage caused by the battle. Leaving Arsenal on December 9, fully repaired and lined copper new funds.

In 1808 he could not participate in the fighting and subsequent capture of the French fleet in Cadiz Rosilly Admiral because he was at Arsenal for repairs and hull.
November 1810 in Havana reached by the Prince of Asturias and the English ship Implacable that had come with them from Cadiz, arriving at Santa Ana with many sick and deprived of food.

In the arsenal of Havana in 1816 foundered for lack of buoyancy. Although in 1834 could still be seen by the "Prince" buried in the mud."

Cheers,
Jim

Naharaht
07-12-2013, 19:14
That is a good looking model. Well done!

Whitejamest
07-12-2013, 19:49
Jim, I'd rather you'd promise you will post photos of every ship you make, they're a joy to see. Beautiful work. And thanks for the great picture resources too. - James

7eat51
07-12-2013, 23:41
Jim, I'd rather you'd promise you will post photos of every ship you make, they're a joy to see. Beautiful work.

Hear, hear. :hatsoff:

I cannot imagine what it would have been like to receive one of her broadsides.

Nightmoss
07-13-2013, 08:41
That is a good looking model. Well done!

Jim, I'd rather you'd promise you will post photos of every ship you make, they're a joy to see. Beautiful work. And thanks for the great picture resources too. - James

Thank you both. Looking at these paintings reminds me of trips to the art museum. The naval scenes were always favorites. By the way, I found a Spanish contemporary artist who's done some nice interpretations of the Santissima Trinidad; Carlos Parrilla Penagos http://www.carlosparrillapenagos.es/pintura-naval/

Hear, hear. :hatsoff:

I cannot imagine what it would have been like to receive one of her broadsides.

Indeed. From all descriptions being under fire must have been pretty terrifying.

Nightmoss
07-19-2013, 12:23
I have a full sail rigging question for anyone that can help me out? I'm in the process of doing the running rigging on the Santa Ana and reading the directions in the Langton book it states under step seven, "Glue a thread to the fore part of the sail at 15, run it back to B, starboard side behind the main ratlines and secure".

My question involves the word "behind". Does the line go 'aft' of the ratlines on the outside of the ship or 'behind' the ratlines inboard and on to point B?

There aren't a lot of photos of ships at full sail (most have courses furled) and those that I've found only have the standing rigging done. Closest thing I've found is James' GHQ Victory, which has the lines running on the outside of the ratlines, but not all the way behind the main ones. Here's a link to his blog: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=286598

Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Devsdoc
07-19-2013, 20:02
Hi Jim,
It maybe wrong, but I go out-side. If you go in-side you get a bend in the rigging that just does not look right. At first I thought it would brake with handling, but after a number of games and picking up etc. they are still all O.K. The base helps. I'm not God to sailing ships and someone may say No! Until then I'm an outie.
Be safe
Rory

Nightmoss
07-20-2013, 07:48
Thanks Rory. That's what I'm going to do and I appreciate the response. Cheers!

Volunteer
07-20-2013, 16:26
Jim,
I always ran it on the outside, until Rory sent me Langton's book. Then I tried to run it inside on my last Dutch 64 I just finished. Rory is right, it just didn't look right with the shrouds deflecting the line slightly. So I went back to the outside like I have always done. My advice is to follow Langton's guide when it looks right, but when it doesn't, don't.
Regards,
Vol

PS: Please show us your rigging when you get it done Jim. Thanks

Nightmoss
07-20-2013, 21:56
Jim,
I always ran it on the outside, until Rory sent me Langton's book. Then I tried to run it inside on my last Dutch 64 I just finished. Rory is right, it just didn't look right with the shrouds deflecting the line slightly. So I went back to the outside like I have always done. My advice is to follow Langton's guide when it looks right, but when it doesn't, don't.
Regards,
Vol

PS: Please show us your rigging when you get it done Jim. Thanks

Hi Vol,

I definitely ran it on the outside. Just holding the line behind the ratlines looked weird. I finished up the rigging earlier this evening. I'll try to take some photos tomorrow so you can see how it turned out. Oh, and I think I misspoke as this isn't full sails with studding, etc., it's easy sails, but there's definitely more work involved when the sails aren't furled. Cheers and thanks!

Jim

Nightmoss
07-21-2013, 15:42
Rigging is done. Lines on the outside look much better. Just some touch up on the base and ship. I'll be adding a label too.

Devsdoc
07-21-2013, 16:06
Hi Jim,
Nice one she looks great.
Be safe
Rory

Volunteer
07-21-2013, 17:31
Slick and clean. Very nice Jim!
Just one comment. The ensign should be forward with the wind. In the first photo it looks to be trailing.

It sure would be nice if Rod Langton would start making anchors to supply with his larger ships like this one. After having used GHQ anchors on Langton ships I think it makes them look more right somehow.

Regards,
Vol

7eat51
07-21-2013, 17:52
She's beautiful, Jim. :hatsoff:

Cmmdre
07-21-2013, 18:55
:thumbsup: Nice detail Jim.

Nightmoss
07-21-2013, 20:07
Hi Jim,
Nice one she looks great.
Be safe
Rory

She's beautiful, Jim. :hatsoff:

:thumbsup: Nice detail Jim.

Thank you, guys!

Slick and clean. Very nice Jim!
Just one comment. The ensign should be forward with the wind. In the first photo it looks to be trailing.

It sure would be nice if Rod Langton would start making anchors to supply with his larger ships like this one. After having used GHQ anchors on Langton ships I think it makes them look more right somehow.

Regards,
Vol

You're absolutely right. I've got to tack that sail down so it's facing the correct way. The glued paper and thread keep twisting it so it's waving aft. I was going to use some of the GHQ anchors on this ship, but I think I'll wait to use them on the Santissima Trinidad. By the way, I found putting the ratlines on this ship to be really annoying. Maybe Rory's thread will have a hint on how to do it more easily? I found it more frustrating than the rigging!?!

Berthier
07-22-2013, 03:50
Fine shipping building Jim, fine indeed!

Volunteer
07-22-2013, 14:49
You're absolutely right. I've got to tack that sail down so it's facing the correct way. The glued paper and thread keep twisting it so it's waving aft. I was going to use some of the GHQ anchors on this ship, but I think I'll wait to use them on the Santissima Trinidad. By the way, I found putting the ratlines on this ship to be really annoying. Maybe Rory's thread will have a hint on how to do it more easily? I found it more frustrating than the rigging!?!

Jim, just lift the top of the line and twist it counterclockwise, then glue it back to the top driver yard. That should reposition the ensign in the correct direction. I had to do this all of the time before I started gluing the ensigns to a segment of thread first, then attaching it to the driver yards.

I am with you Jim. Making and mounting the shrouds/ratlines is my least favorite part of building these ships. I would rather scratch build a dozen masts and the required sails for them than mkae and mount just one shroud! But they are a necessary feature required to make a ship of this period look right.

As for Anchors.......If anyone out there has any reasonable ideas about how to make decent anchors, I would really appreciate hearing them. The last half dozen GHQ ships I bought did not have any (and that's the main reason I bought them, to get the extra anchors.) I don't know if they have stopped supplying them or what. Of course I bought them from Warweb.com Grandiosity instead of direct from GHQ, that may be the problem.

Regards,
Vol

Nightmoss
07-22-2013, 16:03
Jim, just lift the top of the line and twist it counterclockwise, then glue it back to the top driver yard. That should reposition the ensign in the correct direction. I had to do this all of the time before I started gluing the ensigns to a segment of thread first, then attaching it to the driver yards.

I am with you Jim. Making and mounting the shrouds/ratlines is my least favorite part of building these ships. I would rather scratch build a dozen masts and the required sails for them than mkae and mount just one shroud! But they are a necessary feature required to make a ship of this period look right.

As for Anchors.......If anyone out there has any reasonable ideas about how to make decent anchors, I would really appreciate hearing them. The last half dozen GHQ ships I bought did not have any (and that's the main reason I bought them, to get the extra anchors.) I don't know if they have stopped supplying them or what. Of course I bought them from Warweb.com Grandiosity instead of direct from GHQ, that may be the problem.

Regards,
Vol

Thanks Vol. I just used a small pin drop of glue and it's holding it in place. Some final photos and a realization that I made a major mistake on this build. I'm surprised someone hasn't noticed and said something? I'm not likely to do it over, but this ship was kind of an experiment anyway. What a bummer, but we learn from our mistakes.

Volunteer
07-22-2013, 16:45
You must be talking about mounting the sprit sail in front of the dophin spike?

Nightmoss
07-22-2013, 17:55
You must be talking about mounting the sprit sail in front of the dophin spike?

Yes, you got it. I did it right on the Montanes and Principe de Asturias at least. Santa Ana may well end up as a wreck/damaged ship down the line.

Gunner
07-22-2013, 18:58
These are sooo much better:hatsoff: than the ships we used to mass produce:minis::minis::minis:, just to play the game.

csadn
07-23-2013, 19:37
Santa Ana may well end up as a wreck/damaged ship down the line.

It's a Spanish ship -- that goes without saying. ;)