PDA

View Full Version : LATEST UPDATE FROM ARES

Pages : [1] 2

Cmmdre
07-01-2013, 23:08
Sails of Glory backers,

the production of Sails of Glory is in progress. The physical components (Sails, bases, as well as the wooden accessories created with Aerodrome) have been in progress for a few weeks now.

We finally completed the pre-production of all game files, excluding the rulebook (which is currently at the layout stage) for the core set and the Terrain Pack #1, and are at work on finalizing the Game Mat and Terrain Pack #2.

With this update, and the ones we will post through the month of July, we will show you the final form took by some components, and explain you something more about the game along the way.

Let's begin with the element at the core of the control of the ship - the Ship Mat.

NO IMAGE AVAILABLE IN THIS POST

The Ship Mat is composed of 2 parts.

Look at the thin red lines in the image - they are cut or punch lines. This means that the rectangular part at the top including all the counters can be punched out.

This is because the ship mat is "universal" - it's not linked to a specific ship (backers will receive one mat for each ship in your order). So everything you need to control one ship is included in the portion that you can punch out: The ammunition counters (to the right), the action counters (to the left).

The blank counter is used when during a grappling you have to pick either a blank counter or a boardng counter, to show your intention.

The elliptical counter below that is punched out in the middle, and used to indicate the sail setting.

After the section with the counters is puinched out, the hole will fit the ship log that comes with each ship- both the ship mat and ship log are produced on nicely thick cardboard, so the composition functions very well, and when playing with basic rules, you can save space and play with the ship log only without much problems.

At the bottom, you will find all the spaces to handle your ship - left to right, the special damage/0 damage box, the broadside and ammunition storage boxes, the sail setting, the planned action, and the unused actions.

The indents at the bottom fit the ship card, and the maneuver cards (when playing with Standard rules, you need both spaces).

You will notice some changes from previous versions, including some arising from feedback we received during the project, such as the change in position between the action boxes and the sail setting boxes.

This is all for now! And don't worry if you did not receive a Paypal payment request - That's because we still have not requested payments. We did not need the additional funds until now, and we hope you appreciate you can pay later rather than sooner!

Thanks for your support!

Naharaht
07-01-2013, 23:20
Here is a picture of the mat.

calm
07-02-2013, 05:24
Good to receive news of the progress in the production.

Cmmdre
07-02-2013, 07:48
Thank you for posting the image David.

Capt P
07-09-2013, 14:03

Picture from Origins of the game.

Cmmdre
07-09-2013, 18:56
Looks good Bob. Can't wait to get my copy and play!

Nightmoss
08-06-2013, 19:09
A number of people on Kickstarter are asking about the final SoG production shipping date. I thought folks might like to read this so the response from Ares today is pasted below:

@Ray, at the moment the schedule has not changed since what we announced in Update 45:

Taking into account all the factors above, we expect to be able to ship the production out of China at the end of August or in the first days of September (after the mass production of the ships is completed, we've to go through the assembly, final packaging, testing).

The next step where we can get a more accurate date, is when we are SHIPPING the product out of factory. At that point. we can have a more accurate delivery date to backers. Transit time from the factory to warehouse is about 4 weeks, so with the most current production estimate, we can estimate that the product will be in our warehouse, and shipping, around the end of September/first days in October.

I would definitely say we are NOT talking about shipping in November at the best of our current knowledge (but as all things being done, it's not done until it's done!).

Photos - we are working on them! The combo of getting this project to the printer, Galaxy Defenders to the printer, and ourselves to GenCon, is a bit heavy to handle, honestly. So please excuse for less communication than before, we're just working to get things done!

Naharaht
08-06-2013, 19:17
We will just have to be patient.

7eat51
08-06-2013, 22:27
Hmmm. I am slotted for an SoG game at Rock-Con at the end of October. I am starting to question this. Even if I get the game in time, I am not sure I will have sufficient playing time in to ensure I understand the system well-enough to run an event.

calm
08-07-2013, 04:04
Hmmm. I am slotted for an SoG game at Rock-Con at the end of October. I am starting to question this. Even if I get the game in time, I am not sure I will have sufficient playing time in to ensure I understand the system well-enough to run an event.

I put SoG in the backburner until it is really out and hit the shelves, and my hands. :sad:

Cmmdre
09-01-2013, 17:26
There's a brief overview of the game on this video from Gen-con.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=H6VC8oJw7hY

Nightmoss
09-01-2013, 19:08
There's a brief overview of the game on this video from Gen-con.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=H6VC8oJw7hY

Sure adds to the anticipation for the game. It's going to be a long 8 weeks, give or take.

QfunK!
09-02-2013, 00:12
There is a Con in this area called Carnage Con in November. The catalog is being finalized, so probably will not have a SoG game within, but the organizers have no problem with pick-up games, I hear. Maybe even if I have to set it up myself.

Coog
09-17-2013, 20:02
I've been watching another Kickstarter which had received the initial shipment four weeks ago and started shipping. They are only about halfway done. Even if Ares gets the games in mid October, everyone may not have their package right away, having to wait a few weeks as the orders get processed and mailed out. Just a thought for those planning games for conventions.

Naharaht
09-17-2013, 21:54
If I understand it correctly, the latest comment said that backers are going to be sent advance copies of the rules soon (presumably electronically), so it looks like things are starting to move.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1402889231/sails-of-glory-miniatures-ship-combat/comments

7eat51
09-18-2013, 05:51
The rules were posted for KS Backers only. So I've removed the link. -The Royal Hajj

Berthier
09-18-2013, 05:54
Beat me by 3 minutes Eric!

CHolgren
09-18-2013, 05:55
Glad to see some progress.

Hobbes
09-18-2013, 07:05
Updated the Kickstarter Page regularly, but when it happened I was in the laboratory.

Nice to see we are getting closer to the shipping date.

Cmmdre
09-18-2013, 07:17
Looking Good! At least I have something to whet my appetite.

Nightmoss
09-18-2013, 09:41
I've only glanced at the rule book, but it looks great. I think the listing of backers and a special thanks section is especially nice.

News on shipping is probably less favorable though? If they don't get the game out of China by October 10th it seems likely we'll not see any product until well into November?

7eat51
09-18-2013, 09:52
Beat me by 3 minutes Eric!

Yes, but you beat me to the Anchorage by 14 months. You win! :wink:

I think the listing of backers and a special thanks section is especially nice.

Very nice, indeed.

Gaz67
09-18-2013, 10:31
I think the listing of backers and a special thanks section is especially nice.

Agreed, hands up all those with a cheesy grin when they saw their name??

Gunner
09-18-2013, 10:48
Time to study. Let the lawyering begin.

Gunner
09-18-2013, 10:55
We will just have to be patient.

Reminds me of what one hungry vulture said to the other,
"Patients my a_ _. Let's kill something."

PirateBlake
09-18-2013, 11:13
Ahoy Coog! Think we be gettin them ships my MillenniumCon?

If so, we should do an open game demo on Sunday, what do you think?

QfunK!
09-18-2013, 11:15
\guilty

Nightmoss
09-18-2013, 12:05

/raised hand

Gunner
09-18-2013, 12:13

\guilty, but more cheese than grin as I was eating an omelet at the time.

7eat51
09-18-2013, 12:21

I would like to think debonair is the proper term.

Cmmdre
09-18-2013, 12:41

\Guilty as well. Nice touch though. :wink:

David Manley
09-18-2013, 12:57

I must admit to a wry smile of satisfaction :)

Coog
09-18-2013, 15:34

I'm thinking that the Ares warehouse may have the ships before Millenniumcon, but from watching another Kickstarter, I noticed something that should have been apparent to me all along. Although the warehouse will get the ships all at once, they will not mail them out all at once. Some lucky folks will get their ships within a week, others may have to wait a few weeks as all the orders get processed. It just depends when they get to our orders.

csadn
09-18-2013, 16:47
<- already trying to work up specs for Pirate-sized ships

Cmmdre
09-18-2013, 17:10
Too bad Carlos (calm) didn't get a copy of these rules before heading into the jungle.

Andy Blozinski
09-18-2013, 18:10

I'm trying to work directly with Ares to get something for a demo at MillenniumCon. Go take a look at game listing M47 on the MillenniumCon web site. No guarantees, but that's the plan...the hope.

http://millenniumcon.org/game_index/game_index.html

The Royal Hajj
09-19-2013, 06:38
Andy, redirect your con support request to me. I'm handling that for Ares going forward. Shoot me a PM and we'll start working out the details in case we do not have our personal stuff by then. Thanks.

Cmmdre
10-02-2013, 17:36
Ares latest update as of 10 hours ago.

If everything goes according to plan, the mass production shall be completed October, 10th. Remember the product is in China - after that, we need about 1 month to get the product in the US warehouse. In these days it's a holiday in China, so we hope to be able to confirm the product is shipping out of the factory with an update at the beginning of the next week.

Nightmoss
10-02-2013, 19:01
Ares latest update as of 10 hours ago.

If everything goes according to plan, the mass production shall be completed October, 10th. Remember the product is in China - after that, we need about 1 month to get the product in the US warehouse. In these days it's a holiday in China, so we hope to be able to confirm the product is shipping out of the factory with an update at the beginning of the next week.

Well, there goes my chance of winning a ship. More importantly, a lot of folks probably wont receive the game in time for Fall/Winter conventions. Bummer!

Gunner
10-02-2013, 19:07
I wonder how long it will take the distributor to sort every thing out and ship to the KS supporters?

Gunner
10-02-2013, 19:18
The first one to respond can have my date of Nov. 4th for the free ship. Even if you already picked a date.

Cpt Kangaroo
10-02-2013, 19:20
I'll take it!:thumbsup:

My first pick was a little early.

Gunner
10-02-2013, 19:21
I'll take it!

You have it.

Comte de Brueys
10-02-2013, 20:04
So October 10th the games and minis just start their journey in China? :question:

Nightmoss
10-02-2013, 23:19
So October 10th the games and minis just start their journey in China? :question:

We'll only know for sure after Ares gets back to us next week. They are celebrating some holidays there so it sounds like a firm shipping date from China isn't known yet. It could easily slip past 10-10-13 I'm guessing?

DeRuyter
10-03-2013, 07:23
Well, there goes my chance of winning a ship. More importantly, a lot of folks probably wont receive the game in time for Fall/Winter conventions. Bummer!

Looks like we move back to holiday games! I run an annual Christmas game for my group - fingers crossed for SoG in time for the holidays.

BSG_Fan
10-03-2013, 09:44
In a comment on the Kickstarter page today, Ares said "early November is the most likely date at this time."

After the first delay I've always had in my head that Christmas was a more realistic delivery date, so I'm not necessarily disappointed. But even for me, to be constantly informed of delays is getting a little annoying. In my experience, any project almost always takes longer than you anticipate; I'd much rather have extra time factored in to the delivery estimate rather than have Ares keep speculating about the earliest that they could get the game shipped under the best of conditions. It's frustrating to constantly get messages like "OK, the game will be delayed a few weeks into September...oh, now it will be October...sorry, now it will be November." I'd much rather have Ares give us one message and say "Sorry, the release will be delayed until Christmas." And then if it doesn't take that long you get the pleasant surprise of, "Great news! The delay wasn't as bad as we expected, and we'll be able to ship a few weeks earlier than we told you."

Cpt Kangaroo
10-03-2013, 10:59
We need to keep in mind the factors involved, such as when a governent shuts down, customs type funtions will back up. It has to be very frustrating for Ares as well. The fact is, we are getting a lot closer to getting our stuff than two years ago when this ride started.

Gunner
10-03-2013, 16:04
We need to keep in mind the factors involved, such as when a governent shuts down, customs type funtions will back up. It has to be very frustrating for Ares as well. The fact is, we are getting a lot closer to getting our stuff than two years ago when this ride started.

Will we be saying the same thing in December, January??

Moideeb
10-03-2013, 16:40
I hope not!

The Royal Hajj
10-07-2013, 06:23
Will we be saying the same thing in December, January??

Barring any mishaps at sea, nope ;)

Gunner
10-07-2013, 14:49
Barring any mishaps at sea, nope ;)

That's good news.:thanks:

Comte de Brueys
10-07-2013, 15:00
I think the U-Boot-Waffe is informed, to let this Chinese freighter pass. :sly:

David Manley
10-07-2013, 15:06
Better watch out for pirates. And are the government customs inspectors working in the US these days?

Gunner
10-07-2013, 15:07
I think the U-Boot-Waffe is informed, to let this Chinese freighter pass. :sly:

Does anyone know if it's been put to sea yet? Or when.

Gunner
10-07-2013, 16:26
Better watch out for pirates. And are the government customs inspectors working in the US these days?

That's a scary, but good question. But I can't believe that any government with a half a brain would shut that down.
Oh, oh! I forgot who's in charge here.:embarass:

Volunteer
10-07-2013, 17:48
And you thought my December date was so pesimistic Ed. More realistic I'm thinking.

Gunner
10-07-2013, 19:02
And you thought my December date was so pesimistic Ed. More realistic I'm thinking.

Vol, if the :minis:shipment goes to the distributor first and then to the Anchorage, you might be spot on.

csadn
10-08-2013, 16:19

At least I didn't mention what *I* was thinking.... >:)

DeRuyter
10-09-2013, 08:55
That's a scary, but good question. But I can't believe that any government with a half a brain would shut that down.
Oh, oh! I forgot who's in charge here.:embarass:

Of course, the Koch brothers! :hmmm:

Gunner
10-09-2013, 11:33

That seems to be the only way to get the press away from the far left.

David Manley
10-09-2013, 15:45

More like the Marx Brothers :happy:

HMS Lydia
10-10-2013, 04:55
Waiting for a game that has been delayed, is like watching for the pot to boil.:erk:

Gaz67
10-10-2013, 06:23
is like waiting for the pot to boil Did someone mention Tea?? Milk and two please.....

DeRuyter
10-10-2013, 14:46
That seems to be the only way to get the press away from the far left.

I thought Rupert Murdoch had that bit covered. :wink:

Moideeb
10-10-2013, 14:51
Did someone mention Tea?? Milk and two please.....

No sugar for me please.

Gunner
10-10-2013, 15:15
Did someone mention Tea?? Milk and two please.....

With apologies to the Brits, let's have a tea party.

Moideeb
10-10-2013, 15:28

My Wife is american, so about 5 years ago as a joke to celebrate the Boston tea party, i made her a a tea clipper ship, it was my first foray into scratch built naval modelling and was an exact replica of the ships that were there. Perfect in every detail down to the last rivet. :erk: when my wife got home we filled the holds with tea and made this short but highly "accurate" history of the boston tea party. :question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzu3EU_GIfY

Gunner
10-10-2013, 16:18
Ha, Ha, Ha.
You're lucky that you weren't fined for littering.

Nightmoss
10-10-2013, 16:35
That video is superb! Thanks for sharing.

7eat51
10-10-2013, 16:53
Brilliant, and great line about the 80 tea bags at the end. :hatsoff:

Moideeb
10-11-2013, 06:06
Brilliant, and great line about the 80 tea bags at the end. :hatsoff:

:happy: It was quite fun to make. Not being american though, i couldn't in good conscience throw away good quality tea, as it just tastes so damn good! :-)

David Manley
10-11-2013, 07:24

LOL, its you guys getting the wet end of a sh**ty stick from a tea party these days :happy:

Gunner
10-11-2013, 11:01
LOL, its you guys getting the wet end of a sh**ty stick from a tea party these days :happy:

That's the only honest party left in this country.

RichardPF
10-14-2013, 10:40
Ares has posted Update 49.
It looks like we are getting close...

Gaz67
10-14-2013, 10:56
here it is:-

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1402889231/sails-of-glory-miniatures-ship-combat/posts/628526?at=BAh7B0kiCHVpZAY6BkVUaQPzYFdJIgtleHBpcnkGOwBUSSIYMjAxMy0xMS0xNCAxNzoyMzowNAY7AFQ%3D--6628ca4be25358982f16261a15541301b6571579&ref=backer_project_update

Most important bit is this:-

PLUS we hear from the factory that production is completed and final assembly is scheduled to be over at the end of this week.

GrouperKicker
10-14-2013, 10:58
Paypal payment requests to be sent in 24-48 hours! Absolutely fantastic to hear!
(This is one of the few times in my life where I've been chomping at the bit to pay somebody!)

Gunner
10-14-2013, 11:04
This is welcome news.:beer:

Nightmoss
10-14-2013, 11:43
Good news and not so good news I expect. I was hoping the product shipment was already "on the water", but this clearly indicates that shipment isn't likely until the end of the week or later.

So, if we allow 4-6 weeks for movement across the Pacific and on to the warehouses, we're looking at the end of November, maybe even into December! Good for the holidays I guess?

Gunner
10-14-2013, 11:51
Good news and not so good news I expect. I was hoping the product shipment was already "on the water", but this clearly indicates that shipment isn't likely until the end of the week or later.

So, if we allow 4-6 weeks for movement across the Pacific and on to the warehouses, we're looking at the end of November, maybe even into December! Good for the holidays I guess?

That's true. But my glass is still half full. One more delay and it will become half empty.

David Manley
10-14-2013, 12:03
But unless your glass is in a vacuum its always full - just half drink half air :)

7eat51
10-14-2013, 12:32
:happy: It was quite fun to make. Not being american though, i couldn't in good conscience throw away good quality tea, as it just tastes so damn good! :-)

Showed the video to a friend this weekend, who is a history buff, especially of the time period. He loved your video, and laughed as well at the disclaimer in the ending credits. Enjoyable and informative, Chris.

The Royal Hajj
10-14-2013, 13:29
That's true. But my glass is still half full. One more delay and it will become half empty.

At least it will only take a half glass to float one of these ships!

Hobbes
10-14-2013, 13:41
I know this thread got somewhat off topic, but since I didn't see any other thread being started, I thought I point it out here.

Ares has posted a new update!!!

Basically they announced to come up with the Paypal charges in the next two days.

The most improtant news is, that the production is finished and assembly will be finished within this week. So hopefully things get shipped next week.

Gunner
10-14-2013, 15:19
At least it will only take a half glass to float one of these ships!

My glasses are 20 oz. schooners. plenty left to float the ship.

Andy Blozinski
10-14-2013, 20:00
Assembly finishes end of this week. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but they didn't say it was shipping from China end of this week...they only said assembly would be complete. Maybe it ships next week. Then it takes another month from China as per their earlier statement. This puts it near a major US holiday for arrival time only to them. Then they have to process it and start shipping to us.
We ain't gettin' it 'til December.

Gunner
10-14-2013, 22:24
Assembly finishes end of this week. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but they didn't say it was shipping from China end of this week...they only said assembly would be complete. Maybe it ships next week. Then it takes another month from China as per their earlier statement. This puts it near a major US holiday for arrival time only to them. Then they have to process it and start shipping to us.
We ain't gettin' it 'til December.

In my hands a week before Christmas I can handle. If not, I'll never get in a KS again.

DeRuyter
10-15-2013, 11:25
In my hands a week before Christmas I can handle. If not, I'll never get in a KS again.

I have participated in 5 KS and so far have a 50% on time rate. One was only a PDF of the rules, so I don't count that. Another was a reprint of a Board game by Columbia ("Napoleon"). Only one, an LED lighting system was a true KS supported product concept. That one and SoG have both had production delays. I think for certain products I would be more tolerant of delays, but with an established company seeking to pump up interest or embellish a product/game one would expect an on time delivery.

Having said that I have far more patience for the relatively rare Age of Sail game/miniatures, then for say, yet another set of WWII rules/miniature line!!

Eric

Moideeb
10-15-2013, 14:56
Showed the video to a friend this weekend, who is a history buff, especially of the time period. He loved your video, and laughed as well at the disclaimer in the ending credits. Enjoyable and informative, Chris.

:-) we made this mainly for a bit of fun and for my wife Chloe's family to see her back home in the states. I still can't believe how many people have watched it! I need to get round to making more of these silly sorts of movies as they are great fun to shoot and edit. Glad you liked it!

RichardPF
10-15-2013, 17:40
Paga Adesso = Pay Now

Naharaht
10-15-2013, 17:49
:singin: I saw three ships come sailing in, come sailing in , come sailing in. I saw three ships come sailing in, on Christmas Day in the morning.

Gunner
10-15-2013, 18:13
:singin: I saw three ships come sailing in, come sailing in , come sailing in. I saw three ships come sailing in, on Christmas Day in the morning.

I hope those are the ships that you received a few weeks before Christmas.:pray:

RichardPF
10-15-2013, 20:34
So I take it that Paese means country, but I can't seem to find the United States listed.
What am I missing???

Gunner
10-15-2013, 21:25
So I take it that Paese means country, but I can't seem to find the United States listed.
What am I missing???

The English language.

Stati Uniti?

I hope that's not the bill they sent you.

RichardPF
10-15-2013, 22:03
Actually, it is my bill for the extras.

David Manley
10-15-2013, 22:11
I hope those are the ships that you received a few weeks before Christmas.:pray:

They won't be if they have to go to the US and then get sent over to the UK :g&t:

Gunner
10-15-2013, 23:00

I guess you'll have to go to the Google translator for Italian.

7eat51
10-15-2013, 23:04

Why do I have the feeling you're going to host some awesome games?

Gunner
10-15-2013, 23:10
They won't be if they have to go to the US and then get sent over to the UK :g&t:

I wonder if Keith can get the ships ETA once it leaves? And maybe get a turnaround time from the U.S. distributor to arrival in the U.K.?

Demiurgo
10-16-2013, 06:01
The English language.

Stati Uniti?

Yes, "Stati Uniti" is Italian for United States.
I think you can also change the way the page appears, too (replacing "/it" after paypal.com with "/en".

Sorry for the inconvenience.

The Barrelman
10-16-2013, 17:36
I got my paypal email from Ares. But, the amount looks incorrect. Who do I contact about it? I want to make sure everything from my survey reply is correct.

EDIT: LOL... had a brain fart there. I found my survey and it is the correct amount. I forgot I put in extra on my KS pledge...

RichardPF
10-17-2013, 12:13
Why do I have the feeling you're going to host some awesome games?

The extras are almost all KS exclusive ships that will be packed away for now.

My main pledge did, however, include two commodore level pledges and a "bit" more...

I will lay out everything for a pic or two when it arrives.

RichardPF
10-17-2013, 12:19
The English language.

Stati Uniti?

:beer: Success!! :beer:

Selected "Stati Uniti" and all became English!

OK; So I'm not Mr. International sophisticate...
:hmmm: :embarass: :dazed:

Gunner
10-17-2013, 14:33
The extras are almost all KS exclusive ships that will be packed away for now.

My main pledge did, however, include two commodore level pledges and a "bit" more...

I will lay out everything for a pic or two when it arrives.

And I thought my EB Commodore and Captain level was a lot.

Diamondback
10-17-2013, 17:23
Yeah, me too... that add-on is almost my entire pledge.

RichardPF
10-17-2013, 17:31

Actually, now that I think of it. I believe that the system would not let me add a second Commodore so I needed to add two captain levels.

I don't have my list in front of me but I believe my full list including the extras is:

EB Commodore 1
Captain 2
Marine 30
HMS Victory 4
USS Constitution 4
Game Mat 2

Gunner
10-17-2013, 18:09
Actually, now that I think of it. I believe that the system would not let me add a second Commodore so I needed to add two captain levels.

I don't have my list in front of me but I believe my full list including the extras is:

EB Commodore 1
Captain 2
Marine 30
HMS Victory 4
USS Constitution 4
Game Mat 2

30 Marine would be 120 ships. Are you sure it's not 3 Marine?

Cmmdre
10-17-2013, 18:35

EB Commodore 1
Captain 2
Marine 30
HMS Victory 4
USS Constitution 4
Game Mat 2

Go big or go home. :minis::minis::minis::minis::minis:

RichardPF
10-17-2013, 18:36

30 Marine level is correct...

Gunner
10-17-2013, 18:55
Excellent investment.

Gunner
10-17-2013, 19:00
Go big or go home. :minis::minis::minis::minis::minis:

With a fleet like that out there, I'm afraid to leave my home.
Now I know how the French felt.:erk::dazed:

RichardPF
10-17-2013, 20:17
Excellent investment.

That is actually what I was thinking.

I view the 30 Marine units as an investment, and, compared to other investments out there not all that big of one.
The amount I put into this part of the pledge ($1950) is about equivalent to the cost of 4 or 5 shares of Apple stock.

Because of the nature of the item it might be more of a speculation,
but if it goes nowhere as an investment I will still have the fleet!

Gunner
10-17-2013, 21:29
Don't advertise that so many are available, and put them out a few at a time to get maximum pieces of eight.

RichardPF
10-17-2013, 21:51
Don't advertise that so many are available, and put them out a few at a time to get maximum pieces of eight.

I have a few of each of the WOW early release planes that I bought as investments back when the prices were not so high.
The funny thing is, I have yet to sell one of them.
I pull them out of the closet from time to time and think I don't have enough to start selling these and should have bought more when I could.

So with that in mind, I went a bit over the top on the SGN KS exclusives.
The problem is, I don't even have these in hand yet and am already thinking that I should have bought more...

Just OCD I guess.

Diamondback
10-17-2013, 22:48
HOARDER!!! :P LOL

Gunner
10-17-2013, 22:54

Not a hoarder. A pirate:shootright: looking for booty.

Gunner
10-17-2013, 23:03
I have a few of each of the WOW early release planes that I bought as investments back when the prices were not so high.
The funny thing is, I have yet to sell one of them.
I pull them out of the closet from time to time and think I don't have enough to start selling these and should have bought more when I could.

So with that in mind, I went a bit over the top on the SGN KS exclusives.
The problem is, I don't even have these in hand yet and am already thinking that I should have bought more...

Just OCD I guess.

It must be the Arizona climate. I have at least one of every WoW/WG new still in the box.

RichardPF
10-17-2013, 23:16
:beer:CONGRATULATIONS ED (Gunner)!!!!:beer:

Our Newest - First Lieutenant!!!

RichardPF
10-17-2013, 23:29

I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few of us grabbed at least a few extra KS exclusives to put away for a while...

Coog
10-17-2013, 23:36
Not a hoarder. A pirate:shootright: looking for booty.

Please Clarify!

A

B

C
ALL OF THE ABOVE

Gunner
10-18-2013, 04:12
Can't get too much clearer than C.

The Barrelman
10-18-2013, 07:42
Arrr.... I always be hunting for booty. (Option C)

:g&t:

Guess I am an exception to KS backers. I did not stock up on lots of extra exclusive ships. I just got an extra mat and the C and D chit bags to fill out a Lieutenant pledge (A solid starting point). Will I play the exclusive ships? Maybe not from the start. Yo never know what they might be worth some day... like first run Wings planes.

csadn
10-18-2013, 15:04
It isn't the _SoG_ KS which is worrying me -- it's the _Robotech Tactics_ KS (*2* complete game sets, plus add-ons -- including a 3-pack of MACs...).

Gaz67
10-24-2013, 05:56
ares facebook update,

https://www.facebook.com/AresGames?ref=stream

7eat51
10-24-2013, 07:09
ares facebook update,

https://www.facebook.com/AresGames?ref=stream

The ship boxes look quite nice and protective.

Cmmdre
10-24-2013, 07:30

They would look better in my hands. :minis:

DeRuyter
10-24-2013, 08:50

Any images available for those of us that have thus far resisted FB? (I know resistance is futile you will be assimilated :help: )

Thanks

Eric

Nightmoss
10-24-2013, 09:14
The ships pictured out of the box have blue bases. I might be wrong, but I thought they decided to go with black bases?

Gunner
10-24-2013, 10:45
I remember reading blue. I think by Keith.

David Manley
10-24-2013, 11:42
I don't recall seeing black being mentioned

Gaz67
10-24-2013, 12:34
For Eric and any others without FB

7eat51
10-24-2013, 13:15
Any images available for those of us that have thus far resisted FB? (I know resistance is futile you will be assimilated :help: )

Thanks

Eric

You are in good company. I was on Facebook one time, years ago, to see some pictures someone posted. Since then, I have tried to eliminate my account, but I don't remember my password, and no longer have the associated email account. Now I am stuck with a FB account that was used for a couple of minutes. Keep resisting Brother.

DeRuyter
10-24-2013, 13:39

Thanks Gaz! :hatsoff:

Eric

Coog
10-24-2013, 14:34
Most companies have Facebook pages now and you can access them without having an account, you just can't make comments. All photos are usually available for scrolling through. I tried the Ares site and you can access it.

Nightmoss
10-24-2013, 15:12

I don't recall seeing black being mentioned

I probably saw a black base test ship at GenCon and somehow got it in my head that black was the color? Nothing wrong with blue at all, and will go very nicely with their mats.

RichardPF
10-24-2013, 20:00

The models are looking very nice.
If the Constitution and Victory models do get some "special" detailing, they are going to be AMAZING!!

RichardPF
10-24-2013, 20:01
As per usual,
My first thought was: "I should have gotten MORE!"

7eat51
10-24-2013, 20:37
As per usual,
My first thought was: "I should have gotten MORE!"

I am having the same thought, especially concerning the KS exclusives. The rest we can still pick up. It seems like every time I hesitate when it comes to games, I regret it.

RichardPF
10-24-2013, 22:28
I am having the same thought, especially concerning the KS exclusives. The rest we can still pick up. It seems like every time I hesitate when it comes to games, I regret it.

It would be interesting to hear from Ares at some point just how many of the exclusive ships were ordered.

7eat51
10-24-2013, 22:41
It would be interesting to hear from Ares at some point just how many of the exclusive ships were ordered.

I can safely say one too few.

RichardPF
10-24-2013, 22:43

I seem to remember quite a lively discussion about base color and thickness preferences here.

I believe that there were a number of posts expressing a preference for clear bases similar to the planes.

Looking at the pictures here, I think that the covering of the base tops by the cards (required due to the unique firing arcs for each ship type) and the pin location required due to the very short freeboard height of some of the smaller ships makes the blue the best choice.

To me, and just from the pictures of the semi production ships, that the blue looks great on the game mats and will also look great for displaying individual ships on the shelf.
I can even see some of the larger SOL models used as nick-nack type decorations by individuals who have no interest in the game.

This has been a non paid gushing testimonial

RichardPF
10-24-2013, 23:48
I can safely say one too few.

Only ONE???

The Royal Hajj
10-25-2013, 06:51
Those boxes do look way better than the plain white ones that last batch I got came in. And I will attest that the ships are held securely in them.

RichardPF
10-25-2013, 11:04
Those boxes do look way better than the plain white ones that last batch I got came in. And I will attest that the ships are held securely in them.

Have you heard if there will be anything on the boxes (like perhaps a sticker) to designate the KS exclusive ships?

The Barrelman
10-25-2013, 11:42
The SOL ship boxes look to be about the size of Wings bomber packs. How do they compare?

Gunner
10-25-2013, 12:38
Makes me wonder how many people reading this thread will later say, I wish I would have bought all the models in wave one and the starter set.
Will it be the same people that are saying, I should have bought all of the WGF models when they first came out?

RichardPF
10-25-2013, 13:09
The SOL ship boxes look to be about the size of Wings bomber packs. How do they compare?

I believe that there was a discussion on this a while back.
IIRC, the answer was that the ship boxes are about the size of the WoG WWII bomber boxes (but much smaller than the WoG WWI bomber boxes).

RichardPF
10-25-2013, 13:11
Makes me wonder how many people reading this thread will later say, I wish I would have bought all the models in wave one and the starter set.
Will it be the same people that are saying, I should have bought all of the WGF models when they first came out?

Or did buy them and are still saying something like that!

The Barrelman
10-25-2013, 13:32
I believe that there was a discussion on this a while back.
IIRC, the answer was that the ship boxes are about the size of the WoG WWII bomber boxes (but much smaller than the WoG WWI bomber boxes).

Eh, I was just looking at the picture of the display case and saw that they looked close to the Wings boxes.

Gotta catch them all !!! (And take them as prizes or burn them!!!) :rum:

The Mad Hatter
10-26-2013, 09:55
I'll echo the statement of "didn't buy enough"! Having seen the ships first hand, I wish I'd bought another set, probably two, of the KS exclusives.

RichardPF
10-26-2013, 10:05
...probably two of the KS exclusives.

I wonder if some may be available on the secondary market after a while...

Cmmdre
10-26-2013, 10:09
I wonder if some may be available on the secondary market after a while...

Of course there will be. Some will regret having missed the boat and will pay handsomely to own a complete set. I too regret not having purchased more exclusives but I stretched my budget to get the ones I did. :moneygone::minis:

RichardPF
10-26-2013, 10:29
Of course there will be. Some will regret having missed the boat and will pay handsomely to own a complete set. I too regret not having purchased more exclusives but I stretched my budget to get the ones I did. :moneygone::minis:

The problem, for me anyway, is the thought that no matter how many of them you have, if you sell any (at whatever price) you will then have less.

Cmmdre
10-26-2013, 10:37
The problem, for me anyway, is the thought that no matter how many of them you have, if you sell any (at whatever price) you will then have less.

True enough Bruce. I regret that I will have to sell some items to help pay for my copy of SGN. :help:

Gunner
10-26-2013, 21:41
Can anyone tell me if the First Wave has upped anchor yet:question::question:

It is a little after their last promised ship date of the first week in October:sleep:

RichardPF
10-26-2013, 22:55
Once upon a time during the KS, there was some talk of art prints (or original art) from Donald MacLeod being made available in conjunction with the project.
IIRC, it was finally determined that the shipping costs and product sales margins necessary just wouldn't work.
Does anyone know if that is how things ended up with that idea or if anything came together?

Andy Blozinski
10-26-2013, 23:50
Can anyone tell me if the First Wave has upped anchor yet:question::question:

It is a little after their last promised ship date of the first week in October:sleep:
Their last promised ship date was in no way the first week in October.

Gunner
10-27-2013, 00:42
Their last promised ship date was in no way the first week in October.

Ares latest update as of 10 hours ago. (10-2-2013)

Coog
10-27-2013, 01:02

I hope the ship doesn't go by way of Somalia!:erk:

David Manley
10-27-2013, 01:02
Pity they couldn't distribute direct from China. Just got a stack of models from Shanghai, cheap as chips for the models and free (yes, free) shipping. Arrived 72 hours after purchase. And thats not a one-off. I often wonder whether some companies that manufacture entirely in China might be better off making arrangements in country rather than going through the expense and time of shipping to Europe and the UK for distribution.

David Manley
10-27-2013, 01:04
I hope the ship doesn't go by way of Somalia!:erk:

Somalia's OK now. A friend of mine does PSC work on ships passing through the area and he reckons its become a quiet cruise in the sunshine for them now.

Gunner
10-27-2013, 01:12
All I'm asking from Ares is, where are they:question:
While it's admirable that some members come to their defense, it's been awhile since any delivery information was given.

Coog
10-27-2013, 01:59
Somalia's OK now. A friend of mine does PSC work on ships passing through the area and he reckons its become a quiet cruise in the sunshine for them now.

I imagine the ships with the cargo bound for the U.S. goes straight from China to one of the California ports. The only pirates we have to worry about is Chris and Diamondback out there on the Left Coast.

Gunner
10-27-2013, 02:24
I imagine the ships with the cargo bound for the U.S. goes straight from China to one of the California ports. The only pirates we have to worry about is Chris and Diamondback out there on the Left Coast.

And if they get it, can you imagine the ransom they'll demand from us.

Nightmoss
10-27-2013, 09:53
While it's admirable that some members come to their defense, it's been awhile since any delivery information was given.

I'm with you, Ed. Ares hasn't even confirmed that the product in on the water? That's not a particularly difficult thing to determine. Yes, I know they're busy with Essen Spiel, but it take seconds to post on the web.

The Mad Hatter
10-27-2013, 10:03
I've pledged a number of Kickstarter projects in the past six months or so. The Wild West Exodus Kickstarter has by far been the best in communication of this type. They posted the ship that was going to be delivering the container, a link where you could track the ship, etc. It was really well done by them and didn't seem that hard as the company shipping the product, they seemed to get all that info. I'd like to see Ares go down this same path, but none the less, doesn't really matter as long as I get my ships in my hands sooner rather than later!

RichardPF
10-27-2013, 11:16
CNN/Money ran a story a bit less than a year ago tracking 50 large KS projects that had funded over the previous year as to how they fared with delivery compared to their due dates. At the time of the article, only 35 of the 50 had shipped. Here is the breakdown of on time/late performance:

THOSE THAT HAVE SHIPPED

On Time

1 Mo Late

2 Mos Late

3 Mos Late

4 Mos Late

5 Mos Late

6 Mos Late

7 Mos Late

THOSE THAT HAVE NOT YET SHIPPED

1 Mo Late

2 Mos Late

3 Mos Late

4 Mos Late

6 Mos Late

9 Mos Late

Based on the estimated August ship date on the KS page, things are getting a bit late.
One reason that the article gave for late delivery was that the KS response was far greater than the company expected and it just took longer to crank out the product.

Article can be found here:
http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/18/technology/innovation/kickstarter-ship-delay/index.html

Andy Blozinski
10-27-2013, 12:54

So this means they are declaring the ship date from them to us is AFTER November 10th, not October 10th.

What you posted is not their last update, by the way.
October 14th is their latest update from the Kickstarter page and it says....
"PLUS we hear from the factory that production is completed and final assembly is scheduled to be over at the end of this week."
That means it won't ship from China until like...now.
So, we're not getting this until maybe first week of December.

RichardPF
10-27-2013, 13:27
So this means they are declaring the ship date from them to us is AFTER November 10th, not October 10th.

What you posted is not their last update, by the way.
October 14th is their latest update from the Kickstarter page and it says....
"PLUS we hear from the factory that production is completed and final assembly is scheduled to be over at the end of this week."
That means it won't ship from China until like...now.
So, we're not getting this until maybe first week of December.

So going way out on a limb to try to put a timeline around all this with estimates of a date range (in parentheses) that each phase might be completed:

October 14th was a Monday, so the end of that week would be the 18th or 19th.

A week to package product and for shipping (might be optimistic) does make the time to load the containers about this week (Nov 1).

I have heard that China to west coast shipping, on average, takes 2 to 4 weeks (Nov 15 - 29).

Transfer and truck shipping from there to the Ares distribution center (which I believe is in Indiana) would take about another 1 to 2 weeks (Nov 22 - Dec 13).

At that point the shipment needs to be broken down and individually packed for delivery to us another 1 to 2 weeks (Nov 29 - Dec 27).

UPS/FedEx or whatever to US locations 1 to 4 days (Nov 30 - Dec 31).
OR: Shipping to international locations to the customs inspection office: 3 to 14 days (Dec 2 - Jan 10)
Then let the customs horror stories begin!

Another potential wrinkle is that all of this will be going on as the heavy Christmas merchandise shipping season goes on (very often starting from about the same location).

So if you happen to have the first order that is put together at the US shipping facility AND live in the US, you will very likely have your stuff well before Christmas.
Otherwise, well...

Cmmdre
10-27-2013, 13:40

Gunner
10-27-2013, 13:50

I hope not.

Does anyone remember what the original ship date was?

Andy Blozinski
10-27-2013, 13:50
I haven't had to do container shipments for years. From Hungary or England, it was a little less than a month for transit time, customs clearing and shipping to get to our doorstep. Sometimes it was quicker. In the 12 years I did it, we only had one serious customs delay and that was only a week. That's why I scoff whenever Battlefront blames one of their product delays on customs, which they do with regularity.

Now that you've mentioned a few things, I'm hoping we get it by Christmas.

Cmmdre
10-27-2013, 13:52
Feliz Navidad.

Cmmdre
10-27-2013, 14:05
I hope not.

Does anyone remember what the original ship date was?

Estimated delivery: Aug 2013

RichardPF
10-27-2013, 14:13
I haven't had to do container shipments for years. From Hungary or England, it was a little less than a month for transit time, customs clearing and shipping to get to our doorstep. Sometimes it was quicker. In the 12 years I did it, we only had one serious customs delay and that was only a week. That's why I scoff whenever Battlefront blames one of their product delays on customs, which they do with regularity.

Now that you've mentioned a few things, I'm hoping we get it by Christmas.

In the recent past, I have been using Wings Duel Packs as my standard gift item.
I was hoping to go a bit upscale with something nautical starting this Christmas.
That plan is starting to look less likely to happen.

Cmmdre
10-27-2013, 14:20
In the recent past, I have been using Wings Duel Packs as my standard gift item.
I was hoping to go a bit upscale with something nautical starting this Christmas.
That plan is starting to look less likely to happen.

I'm hoping for a Christmas miracle so I too can gift some Sails of Glory items this year. It would be great to start the New Year with friends amped up to play with their new toys.

RichardPF
10-27-2013, 14:23
Hindsight is wonderful, and I bet that Ares has a big stack of lesson learned items from this experience.

The final total was over nine times the goal that Ares set for the project.
I'm sure that required a few adjustments to their project plan.
They have made an effort to keep us updated (though they could have done better there).
They have continued to update and improve the product even as production was in progress.
Still, I am sure that we will get our stuff fairly soon and that the quality will be great.

Even with the delay I would still be ready to sign on for a next KS project.

Gunner
10-27-2013, 14:37
Estimated delivery: Aug 2013

Thank you Paul.:beer:

Coog
10-27-2013, 14:38
So going way out on a limb to try to put a timeline around all this with estimates of a date range (in parentheses) that each phase might be completed:

A week to package product and for shipping (might be optimistic) does make the time to load the containers about this week (Nov 1).

I have heard that China to west coast shipping, on average, takes 2 to 4 weeks (Nov 15 - 29).

Transfer and truck shipping from there to the Ares distribution center (which I believe is in Indiana) would take about another 1 to 2 weeks (Nov 22 - Dec 13).

At that point the shipment needs to be broken down and individually packed for delivery to us another 1 to 2 weeks (Nov 29 - Dec 27).

UPS/FedEx or whatever to US locations 1 to 4 days (Nov 30 - Dec 31).
OR: Shipping to international locations to the customs inspection office: 3 to 14 days (Dec 2 - Jan 10)
Then let the customs horror stories begin!

Another potential wrinkle is that all of this will be going on as the heavy Christmas merchandise shipping season goes on (very often starting from about the same location).

So if you happen to have the first order that is put together at the US shipping facility AND live in the US, you will very likely have your stuff well before Christmas.
Otherwise, well...

Don't forget that in the U.S. FedEx SmartPost could be used. Package ships from the warehouse by regular FedEx and gets to a distribution center in your area in about a couple of days. FedEx then sends it to their SmartPost facility where it sits for a few days until turned over to the U. S. Mail for delivery.

Cmmdre
10-27-2013, 14:42
Thank you Paul.:beer:

:beer: Cheers Ed, back at ya! :beer:

csadn
10-27-2013, 16:09

Wha'd'ya think D-back? $1,000 per head overdoing it? >;)

csadn
10-27-2013, 16:09

RichardPF
10-27-2013, 16:39
Don't forget that in the U.S. FedEx SmartPost could be used. Package ships from the warehouse by regular FedEx and gets to a distribution center in your area in about a couple of days. FedEx then sends it to their SmartPost facility where it sits for a few days until turned over to the U. S. Mail for delivery.

Then, of course, we also need to consider:

Gunner
10-27-2013, 17:20
Then, of course, we also need to consider:

Is that guy in the middle one of Cardinal Richelieu's WOG pilots?

Gunner
10-27-2013, 17:23

Have a little mercy, I've already spent close to that on the fleets.

RichardPF
10-27-2013, 17:23
Is that guy in the middle one of Cardinal Richelieu's WOG pilots?

Perhaps, but regardless he always comes at you from an UNEXPECTED direction.

Diamondback
10-27-2013, 17:39
Arrrr, matey, I say we give 'em safe passage on this one... more for the plunderin' later once the game's established, rather than smotherin' a baby in its crib.

Gunner
10-27-2013, 17:47
Arrrr, matey, I say we give 'em safe passage on this one... more for the plunderin' later once the game's established, rather than smotherin' a baby in its crib.

If we meet, the drinks are on CHRIS.:drinks:

Diamondback
10-27-2013, 20:48
I'll drink to THAT, compadre! I've been trying to plan a road-trip down your way, but sadly we haven't been south of Old Route 66 and the relatives that DO drive aren't up for it.

Doesn't help that I have a bad habit of setting the GPS then falling asleep... no matter what kind of vehicle I'm aboard, any movement for more than about ten minutes and I'm out like a light. (Seriously, as a kid UAL 727s and 737s and the family station-wagon were my version of being rocked to sleep in a crib with how frequently Grandma and Grandpa had us heading back east to visit the relatives...)

Gunner
10-27-2013, 21:56
I've driven Route 66 from Chicago to LA many times when it was the main road between the two.
I still drive between Phoenix and SoCal about once a month. Let me know the next time your in the Santa Monica area and maybe I can time one of my trips to have a SGN game at a local shop.

Diamondback
10-27-2013, 22:16
Yeah, I tried to convince them, as alleged history enthusiasts, to bite on a Civil War Sesquicentennial roadtrip in the Deep South and... well, it looks like with my grandmother needing one of us to stay around here and keep an eye on her since she's too invalid and too far into senile dementia to go anywhere, none of us is goin' anywhere for the rest of her life. (Just a drive down the coast to Newport last year ended rather poorly, when she started trying to demand we cover a two-day drive in THREE HOURS so she could be back in her bed that night...)

Gunner
10-27-2013, 23:09
Most women do like to sleep in their own bed.Take care of Granny.
I might be in her shoes in 25, 30 years.

The Royal Hajj
10-28-2013, 08:57
Have you heard if there will be anything on the boxes (like perhaps a sticker) to designate the KS exclusive ships?

I've not heard, but I can ask.

I'll try and remember to measure one and post up.

Once upon a time during the KS, there was some talk of art prints (or original art) from Donald MacLeod being made available in conjunction with the project.
IIRC, it was finally determined that the shipping costs and product sales margins necessary just wouldn't work.
Does anyone know if that is how things ended up with that idea or if anything came together?

Nothing ever panned out on that front.

They have been out of contact for just over a week for the prep for Essen. I expect we will see an update sometime this week. And not to continuously defend them, it's often easy to forget that they have only about 4-5 full time employees (unless that number has changed since June). They really are a very small company and with half a dozen game lines to support, I'm sure even a quick update post gets sidelined from time to time.

Gunner
10-28-2013, 09:56
They have been out of contact for just over a week for the prep for Essen. I expect we will see an update sometime this week. And not to continuously defend them, it's often easy to forget that they have only about 4-5 full time employees (unless that number has changed since June). They really are a very small company and with half a dozen game lines to support, I'm sure even a quick update post gets sidelined from time to time.

My apologies to Ares:beer:. I thought their staff was larger. But more frequent updates would still be nice.

Beowulf03809
10-28-2013, 12:20

I just had a chance to watch that video and LOVED it. Very informative but the light presentation makes it so fun to watch. You almost don't realize you're learning something. :rum: When are you doing the rest of the Revolutionary period video series?

Beowulf03809
10-28-2013, 12:31

That's my issue with so many hobby items. I do NOT have a huge collection of any of my wargame hobby products but I do have pretty good size forces often including various things that are harder to find now. I often have people asking me to trade with them (and they DO have things I want) or for me to sell some of these models off...but I just can not ever get myself to that point. With the SoG KS I thought about getting a few extra Exclusives to sell off down the road to fund newer ships, but I knew in my heart I would never do it and would just have extra ships.

RichardPF
10-28-2013, 12:49
That's my issue with so many hobby items. I do NOT have a huge collection of any of my wargame hobby products but I do have pretty good size forces often including various things that are harder to find now. I often have people asking me to trade with them (and they DO have things I want) or for me to sell some of these models off...but I just can not ever get myself to that point. With the SoG KS I thought about getting a few extra Exclusives to sell off down the road to fund newer ships, but I knew in my heart I would never do it and would just have extra ships.

Yes,
I can show you a closet full of early release Wings planes that are THEORETICALLY worth thousands.

Moideeb
10-28-2013, 14:28
I just had a chance to watch that video and LOVED it. Very informative but the light presentation makes it so fun to watch. You almost don't realize you're learning something. :rum: When are you doing the rest of the Revolutionary period video series?

:happy: Glad you liked it. I'm ashamed to say that I really don't know too much about american history. Other that the fight for independence, the the tiniest bit of knowledge on the civil war, and then modern day history such as world wars, Korean war, Vietnam, Iraq etc that a about it. Now if you want British history, then I'm all over that. :salute:

csadn
10-28-2013, 15:12
Have a little mercy, I've already spent close to that on the fleets.

<- points to flag

What part of that was unclear to you? >:)

"You cheated!"
"'Pirate'....."

Good point. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Take his fish away and tell him he's lucky just to be alive, and he'll figure out how to catch another one for you to take tomorrow."* >;)

[*: http://schlockmercenary.wikia.com/wiki/The_Seventy_Maxims_of_Maximally_Effective_Mercenaries ]

(As to buying drinks: 1) I can't drink alcohol; 2) Most of my money is tied up in miniatures.... :P )

The Royal Hajj
10-29-2013, 08:14
My apologies to Ares:beer:. I thought their staff was larger. But more frequent updates would still be nice.

No worries, and more updates would be nice :D

The Royal Hajj
10-29-2013, 08:14

No worries, and more updates would be nice :D

7eat51
10-29-2013, 09:49
Just received this from Ares:

November, 19th the goods will arrive in port at Vancouver.

November, 28th we expect the goods to be in our warehouse in Ft. Wayne, and we'll start shipping to the backers around the world, using UPS.

The reason for these dates is that there was one (and hopefully, last) delay as the factory made a mistake on some of the die-cutting tools for the punchboards. They had to re-do a part of the production and, as a consequence, the estimated shipping time slipped forward two weeks, while the factory made a new printing of these components.

Old Ironsides
10-29-2013, 09:53
Merry X-Mas!

RichardPF
10-29-2013, 09:55

November, 28th we expect the goods to be in our warehouse in Ft. Wayne, and we'll start shipping to the backers around the world, using UPS.

The reason for these dates is that there was one (and hopefully, last) delay as the factory made a mistake on some of the die-cutting tools for the punchboards. They had to re-do a part of the production and, as a consequence, the estimated shipping time slipped forward two weeks, while the factory made a new printing of these components.

Looks like things are in my SWAG projection, so barring any unforeseen whatevers...

Gunner
10-29-2013, 10:36
Looks like things are in my SWAG projection, so barring any unforeseen whatevers...

Who's going to win the Super Bowl, and what will the score be? I can use the extra cash for :beer::rum:.

David Manley
10-29-2013, 10:44
Slipping in via Canada, eh? Sneaky......

RichardPF
10-29-2013, 10:48
Who's going to win the Super Bowl, and what will the score be? I can use the extra cash for :beer::rum:.

I predict Oracle beats team New Zealand 9 - 8

Wargamer
10-29-2013, 11:41
So anyone still think this stuff will make it this year?

RichardPF
10-29-2013, 11:45
So anyone still think this stuff will make it this year?

I would guess that the consensus now is that yes, KS items will make it to you well before Christmas.

Coog
10-29-2013, 13:10

IT WON'T BE THE COWBOYS:angry:

Old Ironsides
10-29-2013, 13:11
I would guess that the consensus now is that yes, KS items will make it to you well before Christmas.

Depends how you define "well before" August as promised would have been well before IMO. :hmmm:

If the product hits the retail shelves at the same time I will be a bit peeved.

Coog
10-29-2013, 13:28

Ships are blasting Britney Spears music to drive off Somali pirates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eknHBfQdmHk

What kind of music do you think would drive Chris and Diamondback away from the ship?:question:

RichardPF
10-29-2013, 13:40
Depends how you define "well before" August as promised would have been well before IMO. :hmmm:

If the product hits the retail shelves at the same time I will be a bit peeved.

I believe that a number of the Admiral level backers were retail stores (and all of them were resellers) so they will likely have the items at the same time as the other KS backers.

David Manley
10-29-2013, 13:50
What kind of music do you think would drive Chris and Diamondback away form the ship?:question:

Easy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD04yHDrvRc

David Manley
10-29-2013, 13:51
Or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NXFCDgyanA

csadn
10-29-2013, 17:02
Update from Kickstarter: The container is supposed to arrive in Vancouver Nov. 19.

"Supposed to...."

[News Item, Nov. 18:]

"Pirates have hijacked a container ship off the coast of British Columbia. The pirates, flying an unusual Jolly Roger with a shark's-jaw design...."

>;)

7eat51
10-29-2013, 18:06
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but growing up in an Italian household, one would think I would have known this. Ares is operating on Italian time, which means being late is being on time. This evening, I flew the first part of July's OTT mission.

Diamondback
10-29-2013, 19:05
Ships are blasting Britney Spears music to drive off Somali pirates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eknHBfQdmHk

What kind of music do you think would drive Chris and Diamondback away from the ship?:question:
That's what earplugs were invented for, sparing sensitive hearing the deleterious effects of exposure to Pop-Tart crap... Or I COULD just crank up the ol' Beethoven.

Cmmdre
10-29-2013, 19:34

That figures. Vancouver is less than an hour from me. Those little ships are going to sail away from me before they sail back again. :smack:

Coog
10-29-2013, 19:44
Or I COULD just crank up the ol' Beethoven.

How about some Wagner?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz3Cc7wlfkI

The Mad Hatter
10-29-2013, 19:45
Well, the good news...there's still hope for some maritime warfare between Eric and I over the Christmas break!

RichardPF
10-29-2013, 20:09
So while we're waiting for the cargo ship to arrive we could start a review/discussion of the movie Captain Phillips...

RichardPF
10-29-2013, 23:28
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but growing up in an Italian household, one would think I would have known this. Ares is operating on Italian time, which means being late is being on time...

Perhaps that also plays into the less than frequent communication from Ares during the past weeks.

Gunner
10-30-2013, 00:38
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but growing up in an Italian household, one would think I would have known this. Ares is operating on Italian time, which means being late is being on time.

In my Chicago days I had a few Gumba's:drinks: that were on the same time table.

Berthier
10-30-2013, 03:09
Probably New Year before I see my order. It's to be shipped to Florida first then on shipped to me. Sigh...what's another couple of weeks.:cry:

RichardPF
10-30-2013, 04:52
Probably New Year before I see my order. It's to be shipped to Florida first then on shipped to me. Sigh...what's another couple of weeks.:cry:

UPS Detour to Fla should only be a couple of days.:hmmm:

csadn
10-30-2013, 15:35
That's what earplugs were invented for, sparing sensitive hearing the deleterious effects of exposure to Pop-Tart crap... Or I COULD just crank up the ol' Beethoven.

[loads up his Queen CDs]

RETURN FIRE! >:)

RichardPF
10-30-2013, 15:46

Of course, Britney Spears (or BS for short) did do a cover/arrangement of Pachelbel's Canon in D

Diamondback
10-30-2013, 17:13
[loads up his Queen CDs]

RETURN FIRE! >:)
Let me guess... "Gimme The Prize".

"Here I am,
I'm the master of your destiny
I am the one, the only one
I am the God of Kingdom Come
Gimme the prize, just gimme the prize!"

7eat51
10-30-2013, 17:31
Of course, Britney Spears (or BS for short) did do a cover/arrangement of Pachelbel's Canon in D

Is nothing sacred?

Gunner
10-30-2013, 17:41
Is nothing sacred?

These days, it seems, nothing:pray:.

7eat51
10-30-2013, 17:44

I can tell I am getting older. I am starting to sound more like my Dad, and I now see that as a good thing.

Coog
10-30-2013, 18:01
Okay, enough downer stuff. How about some music on how to deal with outlaws!:pistole:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6s7afYOk_0

7eat51
10-30-2013, 18:04
Okay, enough downer stuff. How about some music on how to deal with outlaws!:pistole:

How do you find this stuff? :thumbsup:

Gunner
10-30-2013, 18:08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6s7afYOk_0

Thank you. That LP was one of the things that got me into Cowboy Fast Draw. (Back to the garage for more practice):pistole::pistole:

Gunner
10-30-2013, 18:23
7440 The nicest gunslinger I know.

RichardPF
10-30-2013, 20:00
Is nothing sacred?

Well according to the Merriam Webster online dictionary:

Canon
a : a regulation or dogma decreed by a church council
b : a provision of canon law

[Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin, from Latin, model] : the most solemn and unvarying part of the Mass including the consecration of the bread and wine

[Middle English, from Late Latin, from Latin, standard]
a : an authoritative list of books accepted as Holy Scripture
b : the authentic works of a writer
c : a sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works <the canon of great literature>

Or maybe you were referring to Britney...

David Manley
10-30-2013, 23:51

Or this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04854XqcfCY

Gunner
10-30-2013, 23:59
I liked these guys ever since Flash Gordon.

David Manley
10-31-2013, 00:45
Ah well, in that case....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS4_Z84-rRE

:happy:

Gunner
10-31-2013, 01:33
Ah, they don't make movies like that anymore. (don't say it):happy:

Thanks.

Berthier
10-31-2013, 01:37
I was quite fond of Barbarella in my youth :embarass:

Gunner
10-31-2013, 01:41
Dave, I think Dan's hinting for a clip.

csadn
10-31-2013, 15:55

Too obvious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pm4fQRl72k

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

>;)

BSG_Fan
11-01-2013, 08:29
I wonder if some people may get theirs sooner than others. On the forum for Sails of Glory on BoardGameGeek, someone from Ares said that the standard Kickstarter orders were prepackaged at the factory. So they just need to be shipped, whereas people who got less common combinations will have their orders assembled in the US.

The Royal Hajj
11-01-2013, 08:52
It's inevitable that some will get it before others simply do to shipping times.

The people that pledged at the Gunner and Marine levels will most likely get their KS exclusive ships before the rest of us get our full packages. Since they are only getting minis, it's a simple order fulfillment and ship. Those at the Mate and above levels have to have all the extra stuff added to the game and minis. They could ship the higher pledge levels first, but I don't know if they will do it that way.

David Manley
11-01-2013, 10:40
On the forum for Sails of Glory on BoardGameGeek, someone from Ares said that the standard Kickstarter orders were prepackaged at the factory.

Could have had them airmailed from there for peanuts and have them arrive in a couple of days rather than sitting them on a ship for weeks :)

DeRuyter
11-01-2013, 11:49
I wonder if some people may get theirs sooner than others. On the forum for Sails of Glory on BoardGameGeek, someone from Ares said that the standard Kickstarter orders were prepackaged at the factory. So they just need to be shipped, whereas people who got less common combinations will have their orders assembled in the US.

Just saw that comment from Robert. Here is the quote:

"Actually, we arranged things already to try to make the handling as streamlined as possible.

A lot of backers just get a "standard" pack which includes all the add-ons and stretch goals, and that was pre-assembled by the factory.
Optional add-ons must then be added, but that is a lower number of items to handle.

That said, it's our first KS, so it's still hard to judge how much it will take to ship out everything."

The Royal Hajj
11-01-2013, 12:50
I think there is some language issues here. Every backer from Mate up is getting some of my stretch goal items in their pledges and those were not sent to the factory in China... so they could not have been completely assembled there. What Roberto is referring to is that I pre-packaged my items (I'm sure the other companies they are working with did the same, just speaking for myself) in to "Backer Kits". This means for the mass majority of the orders, they simply have to grab one of my backer kits and throw it in with the stuff from the Chinese factory. The orders that had Add Ons will take a bit more to process as they have to handle individual items.

Gunner
11-01-2013, 13:14
Sounds simple:pray:. But it also sounds like it could be a consolidation and shipping nightmare.