PDA

View Full Version : On this day 30 June - the last naval action of the War of 1812

7eat51
06-30-2013, 16:10
On the 30th of June 1815, the USS Peacock, a sloop-of-war, captured the HMS Nautilus, a 16-gun brig, in the final naval action of the War of 1812. Having sailed to the Indian Ocean earlier in the year, the Peacock, under the command of Master Commandant Lewis Warrington, came upon the Nautilus, under the command of Lieutenant Charles Boyce, in the Straits of Sunda. Boyce informed Warrington that the war was over, but Warrington did not believe his counterpart, and ordered the British to surrender. Boyce refused, and Warrington ordered his crew to fire, killing and wounding over a dozen onboard the Nautilus. Once captured, Boyce presented documents in support of the ratified Treaty of Ghent, upon which Warrington released his British prize. According to the naval historian William James, Warrington neglected to ask about Boyce’s, or any of the other wounded among the Nautilus’, condition.

For more on today's event:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Peacock_(1813)

Cmmdre
06-30-2013, 17:12
:cannonboom: Shoot first ask questions later...or not. :cannon:

7eat51
06-30-2013, 17:39
I must admit, I was a bit disgusted when reading that, especially after he learned that the war was over (assuming that the story is true of which I have no good reason to doubt it). Much different than some of the pilots I have read on during WWI and WWII who behaved quite virtuously toward their enemies.

Coog
07-01-2013, 01:10
I must admit, I was a bit disgusted when reading that, especially after he learned that the war was over (assuming that the story is true of which I have no good reason to doubt it). Much different than some of the pilots I have read on during WWI and WWII who behaved quite virtuously toward their enemies.

Warrington acted correctly. It is the duty of a captain to ensure the safety of his ship and crew, especially in a time subterfuge was the order of the day. Nautilus was not a ship of the British Navy but owned by the East India Company, of which Boyce was an employee. Boyce had the chance to surrender and could have then provided proof of war ending, but didn't. As far as anything James says when it comes to the behavior of American captains, I always view it with skepticism. Check your copy of Roosevelt's book for a useful corrective.

7eat51
07-01-2013, 09:15
I agree with his initial firing; I would have done the same. I, too, think Boyce should have been more aggressive in providing proof of the end of the war before firing commenced; if he chose not to present the documents at the outset, it was irresponsible at best. The part that disturbed me, and I see I didn't make that clear in my response to Paul, was the apparent lack of concern towards the injured after the fight, especially given the two nations were now at peace - again, assuming the story is true which I concede the recorded account might not be fully accurate. If I was there, and knew more of the story, I might have reacted similarly after the fight.

I know James can be questionable at times, that is why I mentioned "According to …". This is one of the frustrating, albeit interesting, parts about reading history, the inability to have purely objective accounts of events, etc. Even what eyewitnesses notice, remember, and report are somewhat conditioned. At the least, historical accounts provide fodder for discussion.

David Manley
07-01-2013, 10:32
The records of the board of inquiry held in the US show that Warrington didn't feel the need to render assistance since "only some Lascars were killed". Perhaps not surprising given attitudes of the day

David Manley
07-01-2013, 10:35
Boyce had the chance to surrender

True, but no self respecting American captain would surrender his ship in time of peace, so it is reasonable to assume that an HEIC captain would not either

Coog
07-01-2013, 15:33
True, but no self respecting American captain would surrender his ship in time of peace, so it is reasonable to assume that an HEIC captain would not either

Exactly my viewpoint. Boyce was just given the opportunity to surrender before being fired upon. He did the honorable thing by not surrendering and paid the consequences that were to be expected.