7eat51
06-29-2013, 07:24
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
Victory vs Redoutable - Ships of the Line at Trafalgar 1805 Author:
Gregory Fremont-Barnes ISBN:
978-1-84603-134-2 Category:
Reference Format:
Paperback Summary:
Victory vs Redoutable is part of Osprey's Duel series. The book is less about an actual duel between the two titled ships as it is about ship-of-the-line warfare and Trafalgar in general. The author begins by tracing the historical development of the ship-of-the-line, and then describes the rating system and ship components such as sails and masts, and provides a lengthy discussion on naval armament. He outlines the strategic situation surrounding Trafalgar, followed by a 27-page description of the day's combat, including a brief statistical analysis and summary of the aftermath of the battle.

There are paintings, drawings, and illustrations throughout the book, including biographies of the principle actors, whole page descriptive drawings of the Victory, different armaments, and gun firing.

I recommend this book to anyone looking for an introduction to ships-of-the-line or the Battle of Trafalgar. As mentioned previously, this book is not a sustained treatment of a duel. The author emphasizes naval armament, and as such, the book can serve as a primer on this topic.

I own this book, so if you ever need anything from it or others I have, please let me know. Other titles can be found in my photo albums - Age of Sail Library (non-fiction and fiction).

7eat51
07-11-2014, 21:54
I finished rereading this today. For anyone who wants a quick primer on SoLs, this is a pretty decent book, with the usual high production value one would expect from Osprey. Off to the next duel book.

Nightmoss
07-11-2014, 22:02
I finished rereading this today. For anyone who wants a quick primer on SoLs, this is a pretty decent book, with the usual high production value one would expect from Osprey. Off to the next duel book.

I got this on sale when The Last Square closed their Madison store. It is an excellent book.