7eat51
06-28-2013, 07:36
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
Pirate: The Golden Age Author:
A. Konstam & D. Rickman ISBN:
978-1-84908-497-0 Category:
Reference Format:
Paperback Summary:
The authors focus on a specific period in the history of piracy - 1714-1725. They discuss the recruitment, skill requirements, and dress and appearance of pirates (including popularized concepts of dress that facilitated the telling, or to be accurate, the selling, of stories). The authors describe the life of a pirate, and how pirates approached battle and violence in general, for example the use of psychological warfare such as playing music and performing war dances when facing off with a potential prize. Additional topics include pirate orientations toward plunder, revenge, and fate.

The book contains pictures and drawings throughout, including the articles of Bartholomew Roberts' crew. At the end of the book, the authors provide information on museums and galleries, and a bibliography for further reading.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants an informative introduction to piracy during the period covered. The book is not a history of events or a collection of biographies, but a reference on background information. Reading it will help dispel a romanticized understanding of piracy, and how pirates are often portrayed in popular fiction.

I own this book, so if you ever need anything from it or others I have, please let me know. Other titles can be found in my photo albums - Age of Sail Library (non-fiction and fiction).