PDA

View Full Version : GHQ's 1:1200 44 Gun East Indiaman

Whitejamest
06-21-2013, 20:29
Hi guys, I just finished working on GHQ's 1:1200 East India Company frigate and wanted to post some pictures. This is a pretty neat model, and when I can get some merchant vessels painted up to accompany it, will see some action on convoy duty.

I probably made the wake way to strong on this one, so I'll see about toning that down in the future. I need to apply another coat of gloss to the base anyway - ran out of my supply!

More pictures can be seen on my blog here:

http://jwhitegallery.blogspot.com/2013/06/44-gun-east-indiaman-ghq-11200.html

Nightmoss
06-21-2013, 20:45
Absolutely stunning work James! If I can ask a question on your rigging? Are you drilling holes in the yards for the rigging to pass through, or are you just painting the thread black after the turns? In the two ships I've rigged so far I've found that the repetition of "take a turn and secure" can quickly thicken up the yards. Thanks!

csadn
06-21-2013, 21:50
Ah, the British East India Company -- the archetype for every "evil mega-corporation" ever found in fiction.... :)

7eat51
06-21-2013, 22:52
James, that is absolutely beautiful. I am still trying to get my mind around the work you and others do here given the size of these miniatures. I am seriously impressed.

My wife and I were watching some videos on paints this week. She painted some minis for the first time at Origins, and she is hooked. By summer's end, we will have a couple of ships to post. You have given us something to strive for, that's for sure. It would be a dream to approach such skill mastery one day.

Well done. :hatsoff:

Naharaht
06-21-2013, 23:50
That is a terrific looking model. Well done!

Volunteer
06-21-2013, 23:56
I think I gushed enough over this ship over on TMP tonight, so I won't do it again here. But I will point out to everyone here that this is a master's work you are viewing. If it is inspiration you are seeking, you could do no better than to peruse James' website, be it figures or ships!

Whitejamest
06-22-2013, 04:16
Wow guys, thank you very much. I appreciate the kind words. Jim, to answer your question about the yards, I hadn't thought of drilling holes. I've always just been putting a dab of glue on them, wrapping the string around, and snipping with a blade. I paint it afterwards, but you're right that the thickness can build up from the string. I might experiment with drilling some holes going forward.
- James

Berthier
06-22-2013, 05:21
Sensational, really brilliant work, like Eric I stand (well I sit) in awe.

Cmmdre
06-22-2013, 08:10
Thank you James for posting another example of your jaw-dropping work here. I have been to your website and have cried tears of joy at the work you display there.

Devsdoc
06-22-2013, 16:11
James.
I love your work. All I have to said, it has all been said before me. I can only second what Vol said. My only input to your work and this thread I can and would say is, I drill holes (as per Rods book)
Be safe
Rory

Old Salt
06-22-2013, 17:34
Very nice ship I also like what you did with the base. Not only that now I have to start rigging. Thanks a lot lol lol :rum::rum::rum:

calm
06-23-2013, 05:03
Sensational, really brilliant work, like Eric I stand (well I sit) in awe.

Exactly the same feeling here !

Cpt Kangaroo
06-26-2013, 07:42
Awesome James. The end result of your work is very lifelike. That is real talent. (It must be hard to see your ships on the table getting the usual wear and tear, after all your efforts.) I have found that the rigging takes the most abuse as the masts get jiggled.
Thank you for sharing.

Whitejamest
06-26-2013, 12:50
Thanks Erin. I'm resigned to the models taking some damage during play - after all, the fun of the games is ample compensation - but I confess it is a little stressful when I see them being handled a little more roughly. I replace a line of rigging here and there as they take damage. So far I'm the only one to drop one of my ships (knock on wood). Le Superbe has hit the floor several times already!

Devsdoc
06-26-2013, 14:02
Hi All
See my album for lessons in picking-up ships
Be safe
Rory