PDA

View Full Version : When We Can Actually Play _SoG_...

csadn
06-17-2013, 14:51
...will people be posting AA-ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRs?

>;)

calm
06-17-2013, 14:55
I sure hope so :happy:

Nightmoss
06-17-2013, 19:19
Same here. I'll try to do my part if there's any action at GenCon.

7eat51
06-17-2013, 21:24
Unfortunately, our pictures were quite blurry.

The folks I spoke to enjoyed playing. Several played multiple sessions, which is a good sign.

The ships and components were pre-production, but were nice even at their current levels of paint and detail, especially as game pieces. The mechanics were intuitive, akin to WoG - we played with a basic set of rules as the game was more of a demo than a historical or fictitious battle. The difference between the overall feel of WoG and SoG is that SoG has more complexity at the advanced rules stage. With wind changes, choices of ammo and crew actions, sail settings, etc., there will be great replayability room for growing as a player.

Nightmoss
06-18-2013, 09:06
Unfortunately, our pictures were quite blurry.

The folks I spoke to enjoyed playing. Several played multiple sessions, which is a good sign.

The ships and components were pre-production, but were nice even at their current levels of paint and detail, especially as game pieces. The mechanics were intuitive, akin to WoG - we played with a basic set of rules as the game was more of a demo than a historical or fictitious battle. The difference between the overall feel of WoG and SoG is that SoG has more complexity at the advanced rules stage. With wind changes, choices of ammo and crew actions, sail settings, etc., there will be great replayability room for growing as a player.

Thanks for the update, Eric. Can't wait for GenCon. I sure hope Ares' production of the game components is moving along as planned!

The Barrelman
06-18-2013, 11:37
Hope to post many battle actions when everything is out. Even from the blurry pictures, the models look like they will be very high quality. Hope the detail is as nice as my old WGF planes.

:salute:

7eat51
06-18-2013, 23:31
Thanks for the update, Eric. Can't wait for GenCon. I sure hope Ares' production of the game components is moving along as planned!

We were planning on GenCon, but now we won't be able to make it. You must let us know about the convention. I wonder what kind of presence WoG and SoG will have there. I believe Ares will have a booth, but I wonder how many games will be run. I hope you have a great time.

Nightmoss
06-19-2013, 12:34
We were planning on GenCon, but now we won't be able to make it. You must let us know about the convention. I wonder what kind of presence WoG and SoG will have there. I believe Ares will have a booth, but I wonder how many games will be run. I hope you have a great time.

I will do my best to let you know what happens.

Right now I'm signed up for one WoG event; got the last ticket in fact (Wings of Glory: Day of the Zeppelin). And I'm debating a sign up for this one, (Wings of Glory Megagame: Battle of St. Mihiel Salient). Both of these events are being run by Northern Virginia Gamers, NOVAG.

Unfortunately, Ares and SoG have no official presence in the current events listing, otherwise I'd be signed up for them instantly. I don't know when event registration closes, but I imagine it will be pretty soon. Maybe something will show up last minute?

Ares is definitely on the map for being in the vendor room. Last year, they had a couple of tables for display and running some demos. Location is Booth 1849 and endcap booth, which almost guarantees they'll be busy.

http://files.gencon.com/2013.sm.exhibitors.map.pdf

7eat51
06-19-2013, 13:11
I doubt Ares would host events. It was the Aerodrome/Anchorage in conjunction with the Ohio group that hosted at Origins, and a great job they did.

I recommend signing up for the Megagame unless there is something else you'ld rather do at that time. The convention games give you a chance to experience things you might not with your local group.

Tommy Z
06-19-2013, 18:03
Same here. I'll try to do my part if there's any action at GenCon.

I'll be in the ProFantasy booth #101, stop by and say hello. At least Ares will have the booth demo going, maybe we can talk them into a pick-up game.

Nightmoss
06-19-2013, 21:05
I doubt Ares would host events. It was the Aerodrome/Anchorage in conjunction with the Ohio group that hosted at Origins, and a great job they did.

I recommend signing up for the Megagame unless there is something else you'ld rather do at that time. The convention games give you a chance to experience things you might not with your local group.

Thanks Eric. I may still sign up for the Saturday morning slot, although I know I'll be up late, late Friday night at a large Leviathans event.

Nightmoss
06-19-2013, 21:07
I'll be in the ProFantasy booth #101, stop by and say hello. At least Ares will have the booth demo going, maybe we can talk them into a pick-up game.

I'll definitely try to do that! If we're lucky enough for the game to be on sale at GenCon, a pick up game, or games will definitely be worth doing!

CHolgren
06-20-2013, 06:06
Jim, have you seen any movement on the Leviathans front?

Nightmoss
06-20-2013, 08:37
Jim, have you seen any movement on the Leviathans front?

Funny you should ask about that. There are rumors flying on the Catalyst/Leviathans forums that the game might be at a critical point in development. By which I mean it may be stalled indefinitely? Again, these are rumors, but the gist of it is that the German/Italian fleet expansions are ready to go into production, but the price point has gone up so high that they're concerned that the public wont buy the game?

I think it's also very telling that the Catalyst 'seminars' for GenCon do not include anything for Leviathans; yet they include "What's Up With Battletech?", "What's Up With Shadowrun?", and What's Up With Catalyst Games?".

I'm trying to stay positive, but the lack of information on the boards from folks in authority, and the general derth of news coming from Cons, like Origins, etc., isn't very encouraging.

There are plenty of events for Leviathans scheduled at GenCon, so that is a good sign.

7eat51
06-20-2013, 08:49
FWIW, Leviathans had a large gaming presence at Origins, with many folks walking around in costume. Not having been there before, I do not know how it compared to previous years.

Nightmoss
06-20-2013, 13:50
FWIW, Leviathans had a large gaming presence at Origins, with many folks walking around in costume. Not having been there before, I do not know how it compared to previous years.

Origins last year was the first semi-commercial release of the game to the public. Catalyst had a limited number of copies air shipped in for the show, which sold out within an hour I believe. Good to hear that folks were getting into character for the game. The steampunk look was sported by all the Catalyst employees at one point during last years GenCon. They looked good and the public enjoyed it a lot.

csadn
06-20-2013, 14:50
Funny you should ask about that. There are rumors flying on the Catalyst/Leviathans forums that the game might be at a critical point in development. By which I mean it may be stalled indefinitely? Again, these are rumors, but the gist of it is that the German/Italian fleet expansions are ready to go into production, but the price point has gone up so high that they're concerned that the public wont buy the game?

Indeed -- I've seen what the FLGSs (and Powell's Books) are charging; between that and the overly-crufty damage rules, I took a pass.

Nightmoss
06-20-2013, 18:33
Indeed -- I've seen what the FLGSs (and Powell's Books) are charging; between that and the overly-crufty damage rules, I took a pass.

I do enjoy this game, but no one around here is inclined to play it, so I've fallen back to repaints and kit bashing. It's very popular in some locations; our FLGS sold all copies they took to Rock Con last year.

FWIW, I think you can still find deeply discounted sets, but I know there's been no production since the run last spring/summer (there's one on Amazon right now for $72.60, or $27 off the list price).

csadn
06-21-2013, 21:54
I think you can still find deeply discounted sets, but I know there's been no production since the run last spring/summer (there's one on Amazon right now for $72.60, or $27 off the list price).

I've seen a few of those as well, but at the moment I'm a bit oversubscribed.

And it's still not as good as _Space:1889_'s rules. :)

7eat51
06-21-2013, 22:45
I do enjoy this game

Will you be playing Leviathan at Rock Con this year? I will be running a SoG game on Sunday morning, and playing WoG on Friday and Saturday as much as possible with my wife. I wouldn't mind watching some Leviathan for a bit.

I think I finally understand your avatar.

Nightmoss
06-22-2013, 10:55
Will you be playing Leviathan at Rock Con this year? I will be running a SoG game on Sunday morning, and playing WoG on Friday and Saturday as much as possible with my wife. I wouldn't mind watching some Leviathan for a bit.

I think I finally understand your avatar.

I've never actually attended Rock Con, but the folks at the Last Square say it's one of the better regional cons. I don't know if there will be any organized Leviathans events going on, but I kind of doubt it. I'd be more inclined to attend for SoG events, but I have a big convention to attend the next weekend so chances of getting down there are pretty slim.

OmegaLazarus
06-26-2013, 09:51
Yo man, stop with the puns. :happy:

csadn
07-02-2013, 14:29
Yo man, stop with the puns. :happy:

NevARRRRRRRRRRR! >;)