PDA

View Full Version : Sail of Glory Line

calm
06-11-2013, 11:45
I was browsing the Sails of Glory section at the Ares website, and noted that are only two entries:

1 - Sail of Glory - Starter Set;

&

2 - Sail of Glory - Ship Packs.

I was hoping for something in the line of WGF & WGS, with a Rules & Accessories Pack, so you could avoid the Starter Set and buy the R&AP and individual ships.

Is there any word of something along that line ? :question:

Nothing against the Starter Set, I will probably grab it, just that I like the freedom to mix the elements of the game to my choices. :g&t:

The Royal Hajj
06-11-2013, 13:33
At this time they are going with the full Starter Set. Unlike Wings, Ares feels Sails plays much better with at least two ships to a side, so a four ship starter set makes more since. There are also more components in Sails, so a larger set allows them to absorb some of the price/cost considerations.

Devsdoc
06-11-2013, 13:40
What you see is what you get. I know, last night a friend was playing WOG and had a number of planes (nice models) and just got the Rules & Accessories Pack to add to his planes. We water bound souls are not as liked as the air-borne ones
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
06-11-2013, 14:06
We water bound souls are not as liked as the air-borne ones
Be safe
Rory

Give us time Rory, give us time.

Devsdoc
06-11-2013, 16:20
Thanks Ed,
I was told once "It will be done for Christmas" They just don't say which one. :cry: :salute:
Be safe
Rory

calm
06-11-2013, 16:52
At this time they are going with the full Starter Set. Unlike Wings, Ares feels Sails plays much better with at least two ships to a side, so a four ship starter set makes more since. There are also more components in Sails, so a larger set allows them to absorb some of the price/cost considerations.

Keith,

I tought the reason was something like that. As I said, I probably would go with the starter set anyway, I just like to have the options :D

calm
06-11-2013, 16:55
What you see is what you get. I know, last night a friend was playing WOG and had a number of planes (nice models) and just got the Rules & Accessories Pack to add to his planes. We water bound souls are not as liked as the air-borne ones
Be safe
Rory

WHAT !!! :wink: The water bound souls are not planning to play Trafalgar with SOG, like we air bound souls plan to play all of Battle of Britain :bleh:

calm
06-11-2013, 17:00
Give us time Rory, give us time.

That's what I was talking about :D

calm
06-11-2013, 17:01
Thanks Ed,
I was told once "It will be done for Christmas" They just don't say which one. :cry: :salute:
Be safe
Rory

Let's hope it is this years Christmas :drinks:

Devsdoc
06-11-2013, 17:43
Sorry Guys,
Just a bad day. By the way, Hi Carlos. I have the big spoon in this group. Just don't lessen to me. Just pat me on the head. :dazed:
Be safe
Rory

calm
06-11-2013, 17:46
Sorry Guys,
Just a bad day. By the way, Hi Carlos. I have the big spoon in this group. Just don't lessen to me. Just pat me on the head. :dazed:
Be safe
Rory

Your warning/wish arrived late, I had a fall today and have my left foot in a cast for 15 days :cry:

I guess I will be safer now that I can't go strolling around :thumbsup:

7eat51
06-11-2013, 17:59
Sorry Guys,
Be safe
Rory

Hi Rory. Not sure what the apology is for, but here's hoping for a better tomorrow.

Devsdoc
06-11-2013, 18:31
Your warning/wish arrived late, I had a fall today and have my left foot in a cast for 15 days :cry:

I guess I will be safer now that I can't go strolling around :thumbsup:

Sorry about your left foot, don't but too nice to it or the right one will hate you.

Hi Rory. Not sure what the apology is for, but here's hoping for a better tomorrow.

Some days are just sh## and cannot be helped! But you Guy's help.
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
06-11-2013, 20:09
Be safe
Rory

A cool Sam Adams or two or___ always help me get through the bad days.

QfunK!
06-12-2013, 00:17
I was thinking something similar to your plan of a couple ships and the rules to start out when I decided to purchase my set of WGF. At my local store, they still had the card decks but with the Wing of War printing and the owner said I could get them at a greatly reduced price if I wanted them. I have played the two versions and knew that there was not enough to worry about in the difference, so I got a copy of the three decks that he had and a Duel Pack for what I thought would be the 'complete' rules. The Duel Pack is a starter set with two models and cards for each but the rules are just quick rules. I will still need to get rules box for other maneuver decks, but I do have plenty of planes from the decks that are the same maneuver decks a the Duel Pack so we play with those plane only for now. Luckily it is only a few of us that play at one time. Of well, lesson learned on my end was to read the box not perceive what should be.

7eat51
06-12-2013, 06:31
Mario, if you are anything like the rest of us, you find your WoG mini collection grow, and grow, and grow ….

Have you checked out any of the solo rules or Skype games?

calm
06-12-2013, 07:36
Sorry about your left foot, don't but too nice to it or the right one will hate you.

Be safe
Rory

Hehehe, I know that. My wife is making massages on the right one, so he/it don't feel abandoned :drinks:

And I know some days can be hard on us, just don't let it put you down if at all possible :steer:

A cool Sam Adams or two or___ always help me get through the bad days.

This always help :rum:

I was thinking something similar to your plan of a couple ships and the rules to start out when I decided to purchase my set of WGF. At my local store, they still had the card decks but with the Wing of War printing and the owner said I could get them at a greatly reduced price if I wanted them. I have played the two versions and knew that there was not enough to worry about in the difference, so I got a copy of the three decks that he had and a Duel Pack for what I thought would be the 'complete' rules. The Duel Pack is a starter set with two models and cards for each but the rules are just quick rules. I will still need to get rules box for other maneuver decks, but I do have plenty of planes from the decks that are the same maneuver decks a the Duel Pack so we play with those plane only for now. Luckily it is only a few of us that play at one time. Of well, lesson learned on my end was to read the box not perceive what should be.

I would probably get the Starter Set, if for no other reason, just to get the minis that would not be available as individual purchasers :embarass:

But some of my playing mates would only buy the minimun, so Duel Packs or Rules & Accessories Packs + some minis could be atractive to them :erk:

PS: Eric, now I know how to answer to multiple post in just one post :g&t:

Devsdoc
06-12-2013, 13:42
: Eric, now I know how to answer to multiple post in just one post :g&t:

I know I too had to ask for help. But all here are happy to help :drinks:
Be safe
Rory

QfunK!
06-13-2013, 01:02
Mario, if you are anything like the rest of us, you find your WoG mini collection grow, and grow, and grow ….

Have you checked out any of the solo rules or Skype games?

I would love to have my collection of planes continue to grow! Though I think that the cards would get more play than the models, I'm just weird like that. But SGN will be a firm models only. :minis:
As for your suggestions I have to admit that my rock of a house does not get great reception. Technology has really stepped up the way people can gather and I need to get myself in step.

7eat51
06-13-2013, 21:08
Cards are great too. We used them quite a bit today due to the number of collisions. Let me know if you need any of the packs. One seller had some for $5, I think. If they are still there, I can pick them up for you and send them by post.

calm
06-14-2013, 08:30
I know this is the Sail of Glory Forum, but as we are talking planes... I am hunting for WGF damage decks. :please:

I have 2A+B+C+D, and would like at least one extra B damage deck. :pray:

If any are available, please let me know. :hatsoff:

Naharaht
06-24-2013, 21:38
Carlos, if you go to 'The Aerodrome' www.wingsofwar.org (http://wingsofwar.org) you will find damage decks you can print off in the 'Files' section.

Naharaht
06-24-2013, 21:40
My local games shop owner thinks that the price of the Starter Sets may put people off buying them.

7eat51
06-24-2013, 21:48
I know this is the Sail of Glory Forum, but as we are talking planes... I am hunting for WGF damage decks. :please:

I will check if I have extra B-decks.

Hoping you and your team remain safe on your current work.

Nightmoss
06-24-2013, 21:48

Speaking of WoG I think it was a very bad thing I joined the Aerodrome yesterday. One look at the custom made Zeppelin's, Shapeways models and the new bombers. . . I'm doomed.

Gunner
06-25-2013, 00:34
Speaking of WoG I think it was a very bad thing I joined the Aerodrome yesterday. One look at the custom made Zeppelin's, Shapeways models and the new bombers. . . I'm doomed.

Now you know how I feel about the ship masters on this site.

The Royal Hajj
06-25-2013, 07:50
My local games shop owner thinks that the price of the Starter Sets may put people off buying them.

Possibly, but there has been a trend in the game industry over the past several years to produce "deluxe" or "big box" games at the US$90 price point. So far that trend has served them well.

David Manley
06-25-2013, 14:46
Possibly, but there has been a trend in the game industry over the past several years to produce "deluxe" or "big box" games at the US$90 price point. So far that trend has served them well.

Certainly talking to potential punters at the Naval Wargames Show the reaction to an estimated £60/$90 price point for the starter set was putting some people off, but not all. And several of those who at the start of the show were saying "no way" were, by the end, grudgingly admitting that would probably splurge.

However, as recession tightens I would see (and indeed I would hope) that the trend towards monster expensive games will rescind.

Coog
06-25-2013, 14:58
There are a lot of games I've seen, but I've passed on them because of the high price tag. If it had not been for Kickstarter and the extras you get from it, I probably would have put off purchasing SOG until there were more of the ships, in a time period, in which I am interested.

calm
06-25-2013, 21:38
I will check if I have extra B-decks.

Hoping you and your team remain safe on your current work.

Eric, thanks for looking for the B-Deck.

The "current work" will only start at the end of July (mobilization/transport) and early August (Rock-n-roll), but thanks anyway :salute:

Gunner
06-25-2013, 23:46

I have an extra B deck.
PM your address.

calm
06-26-2013, 00:27
I have an extra B deck.
PM your address.

Ed, PM sent.

7eat51
06-26-2013, 11:24
You beat me to the punch Ed. Well done. Carlos, let us know if you have any other needs we might be able to meet.

calm
06-26-2013, 11:34
You beat me to the punch Ed. Well done. Carlos, let us know if you have any other needs we might be able to meet.

Thank you Eric, but I'm just fine :salute:

I think the only thing I needed/wanted at the moment was the B-Damage deck :fixit:

Thank you guys :thumbsup:

Gunner
06-26-2013, 17:02
Ed, PM sent.

Shipped USPS today. They said you should receive it in 10 days or so.

calm
06-26-2013, 17:32

Thanks again, Ed.

I just received my last package, 3 WoG playing mats and 2 more WGF minis. It took the package only 7 days to arrive ! This must be a record :thumbsup:

Gunner
06-26-2013, 18:15
Thanks again, Ed.

I just received my last package, 3 WoG playing mats and 2 more WGF minis. It took the package only 7 days to arrive ! This must be a record :thumbsup:

We must be on the same wave length. I just received two more WGF playing mats today.

calm
06-26-2013, 20:08
We must be on the same wave length. I just received two more WGF playing mats today.

Indeed Ed, what are the chances of something like that happening? :happy:

csadn
07-02-2013, 14:39
However, as recession tightens I would see (and indeed I would hope) that the trend towards monster expensive games will rescind.

There was a panel at a con many years ago: "Game Design: Games Workshop vs. Cheapass". The discussion was on which way the gaming hobby would go -- really high-quality, but f***ing expensive; or a basic rulesheet, and one supplied one's own accessories.

The conclusion arrived at was somewhere in-between, what one might call "the Time-Life Books model": The basic game would be just that -- very basic (a rules manual, some chits and/or dice), but then the company would provide fancier stuff separately, and the players could decide how "pretty" they wanted their games to be.

Now what does that remind you of? :)

Devsdoc
07-02-2013, 17:34
Chris,
I'm lucky I have played the game SOG. I'm sorry for being a party po#per. I do love the game, but not the ships. I would get the game if it had no ships. I do not have, but love the WOG planes. I do not think the ships are in the same league as the planes. To me the game would be "pretty"er with no ships
Be safe
Rory

David Manley
07-02-2013, 22:56
Now what does that remind you of? :)

Reminds me of exactly what the vast majority of wargaming has been for the last 30+ years. I reckon they made a pretty safe bet there :happy:

csadn
07-03-2013, 15:20
Reminds me of exactly what the vast majority of wargaming has been for the last 30+ years. I reckon they made a pretty safe bet there :happy:

Well, yeah -- anyone with more than four working brain cells can figure out the Time-Life Books model is the only viable model.

David Manley
07-03-2013, 22:45
So how long did this panel spend on their deliberations to reach this earth shattering conclusion? 30 seconds? A minute tops I hope :)

Berthier
07-04-2013, 01:19
The team was no doubt all promptly signed up by the Rand Corporation and placed in a think tank...

David Manley
07-04-2013, 03:17
Beltway bandits! :happy:

calm
07-04-2013, 13:59

Ed,

Your letter with the B Damage Deck just arrived !! :salute:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!! :happy:

Carlos...

csadn
07-04-2013, 14:22
So how long did this panel spend on their deliberations to reach this earth shattering conclusion? 30 seconds? A minute tops I hope :)

Well, it did take the whole hour, but most of that was citations of *why* the extreme ends of the continuum were non-viable.

Let's face it -- most panels are like most history texts: The conclusion is reached almost immediately; the rest is *documenting how one arrived there*. :)

"But what about [x]?" "[So-and-so] tried [x] with [game name]; where is it now?"

That sort of thing.

"The rest is argument -- the curse of my profession."
"I studied Law as well."
"And how do you apply that education to what it is you do?"
"It has made me mistrustful of Language -- a gun means what it says."
[Kritzinger, and Lange, _Conspiracy_]