PDA

View Full Version : 15mm Saing Ship Game

Coog
06-07-2013, 00:17
I remember seeing something like this game posted but can't find it now and not sure if this is the same. It is a recently ended Kickstarter game that has been funded and should be produced for the general public in the near future. It is 15mm small ships and boats and would work well for the cutting out scenerios that have been discussed. Here is the Kickstarter link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seadoggamestudios/sailpower-v20-fun-scale-combat-in-the-age-of-sail?ref=category

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roKBBR94Jpw

DeRuyter
06-07-2013, 08:45
Another 15mm specific game is "Prevailing Winds" published by Throughbred Miniatures for their Sea Eagles line of 15mm ships. Essentially War of 1812 and Barbary Pirates. Those rules are currently undergoing a rewrite with no firm date for the 2nd Ed. I last played these at the Fall In convention in Lancaster PA last year.

The Sailpower rules on KS seem to be aimed at the pirate game crowd, well just look at the KS video! Since I am interested in 15mm I plunked down $25 for a copy of the rules. As you noted it could be good for cutting out type games (skirmish level if on land, etc. )

Eric

Naharaht
06-07-2013, 23:12
It looks like every games company is trying to produce a 19th century naval wargame.

Nightmoss
06-09-2013, 15:58
I remember seeing this before Sails of Glory. I wish them well, but money, and more importantly, space for my hobbies is becoming a critical issue. I just can't invest in another game/hobby that takes up substantial real estate.

Nightmoss
02-09-2017, 09:48
Rather than starting a new thread I'm going to post this update I just received from Sea Dog Game Studios about their upcoming Kickstarter Project. If the KS project is successful they'll be launching new 6mm ship scale models of their 15mm game. At 6mm the ships and playing surface required will all be significantly smaller. The largest ship proposed that I can see will be HMS Ontario. I've played this game two years running at Gen Con. It's quite a bit of fun, but does require a larger group of players to represent all nations equitably for each years scenario. Plenty of room for Dutch, English, French, Spanish and yes, those pesky Pirates. :happy:

More information on their KS draft page. KS Project starts February 21st. Cheers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seadoggamestudios/248074869?token=3c9187b7

DeRuyter
02-09-2017, 10:30
If only their models represented actual ships (aside from Onterio) like Langton's 1/300 ships - hopefully they'd be much cheaper though! I have the rules from their original KS and they have started running games at the HMGS cons. I used "Prevailing Winds" rules for 15mm ships focused on the War of 1812 lake battles.

Nightmoss
02-09-2017, 13:11
If only their models represented actual ships (aside from Onterio) like Langton's 1/300 ships - hopefully they'd be much cheaper though! I have the rules from their original KS and they have started running games at the HMGS cons. I used "Prevailing Winds" rules for 15mm ships focused on the War of 1812 lake battles.

The do seem to favor non historical settings for their scenarios, but otherwise the attention to detail/accuracy in ship sailing, fighting, etc. is pretty good (keeping mind it is seen more as a game and less of a simulation). I was surprised to see the number of conventions they're going to be showing at. The closest to me will be Adepticon in Schaumberg, IL coming up in March. I've heard that it's a great miniatures convention and might have to check it out one of these days?

Planned Events for 2017
Battle at Crossroads - February 18 (Cambridge, OH)
Cincycon - March 3-5 (Cincinnati, OH)
Coldwars - March 16-19 (Lancaster, PA)
Adepticon - March 23-26 (Schaumburg, IL)
Marcon - May 12-14 (Columbus, OH)
Origins - June 14-18 (Columbus, OH)
Gencon - August 17-20 (Indianapolis, IN)
Charcon - Date TBD (Charleston, WV)
Fall In - Date TBD (Lancaster, PA)
Pentacon - Date TBD (Ft Wayne, IN)

Naharaht
02-11-2017, 01:28
I came across yet another Kickstarter for a naval combat game yesterday. This one is called 'British vs Pirates'. It does not appear to be trying to be historically accurate, just combat for fun.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/776566830/british-vs-pirates?ref=nav_search

Bligh
02-11-2017, 02:47
Looks fun to me Dave.
I'd say a travel set for those wet days on holiday when you are away from your Sails ships.
Rob.

David Manley
02-11-2017, 06:09
Yes, a fun game indeed. I think I might go for this one

Nightmoss
02-11-2017, 09:46
Just watched the entire play through. It does look like fun and I like the artwork and minis. I may support as well. They're not too far from reaching their goal? Thanks for the heads up, David.

Nightmoss
02-13-2017, 15:40
And yet another pirate sailing game on Kickstarter. This one is already insanely overfunded, with only 3 days left in the campaign. Relatively inexpensive and nicely packaged.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/travishancock/tortuga-1667-a-pirate-game-of-mutiny-plunder-and-d?utm_source=BoardGameGeek&utm_campaign=Tortuga_1667_Kickstarter&utm_medium=cpc

Naharaht
02-13-2017, 23:58
Yes it does seem a nice package, Jim, and not too expensive. So, I have backed it.

TexaS
02-14-2017, 09:20
I have backed that too, but I wouldn't call it sailing though.

Nightmoss
02-14-2017, 09:21
Yes it does seem a nice package, Jim, and not too expensive. So, I have backed it.

Me too. :happy:

Looks like a nice game to take a short trips as well?

Bligh
02-14-2017, 09:45
I had a look, but could not see any use for me with no young ones around to play it with.
Rob.

John Paul
03-02-2017, 22:08
Came across this new Kickstarter Project on TMP the other day! I have to admit it does sound rather interesting even though at 10 mm Scale it might require a little bit more room then some of us have available to play on! Though the thought of having a couple of one on one frigate duels, or even a one on one battle with a 74 on each side does sound like just a little bit of fun if the rules are not overly complicated!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/studiocapitan/post-captain-10mm-tactical-naval-rules-plus-ships

After all I already have some 10 mm ships from Thoroughbred Figures for the War of 1812 done up, and using their "Sea Eagle" rules it makes for a nice fun little game for a couple of hours at most. So I might just give these a shot!!

DeRuyter
03-08-2017, 12:40
Came across this new Kickstarter Project on TMP the other day! I have to admit it does sound rather interesting even though at 10 mm Scale it might require a little bit more room then some of us have available to play on! Though the thought of having a couple of one on one frigate duels, or even a one on one battle with a 74 on each side does sound like just a little bit of fun if the rules are not overly complicated!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/studiocapitan/post-captain-10mm-tactical-naval-rules-plus-ships

After all I already have some 10 mm ships from Thoroughbred Figures for the War of 1812 done up, and using their "Sea Eagle" rules it makes for a nice fun little game for a couple of hours at most. So I might just give these a shot!!

I saw this too - Captain Games, a Spanish company I believe, has been around awhile. Their rules used to be free pdfs. Careful about the scale though, the Thoroughbred Sea Eagles ships are 15mm (unlike their ACW ships). Did they update the rules? I have the original set whose name escapes me atm, but the author had been testing a version 2.

Nightmoss
02-06-2018, 21:16
Just dropping by this old thread to let those who might be interested in the fact that British vs Pirates has just launched a Volume 2 Kickstarter campaign. They're already 50% funded on Day 1. Volume 2 introduces a lot of new miniatures to support inclusion of the French, Buccaneers and East Asian sea powers. Cheers!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/776566830/british-vs-pirates-volume-2/posts/2107292

TexaS
02-06-2018, 23:30
This reinforces the "Pirates sell" saying.

I'm afraid Sails will go that direction after essential Trafalgar ships are available.

The only question is how historical they can keep it. Sails isn't that detailed at the lowest end of the spectrum where historical pirates would lie.

Bligh
02-07-2018, 01:40
Thanks for the Heads up Jim. No doubt Simon will be in his element as our paramount Pirate Admiral.
I'm sure even after the games we have had against him and his sea monster that he will be able to bring out the best in the Ares models should they ever surface. As far as earlier designs are concerned, i have just been reading about some of the antiquated ships that the Dutch deployed against us at the Cape and in the East Indies, so we could even use them vs Napoleonics in some limited encounters.
Rob.

Nightmoss
02-07-2018, 11:27
This reinforces the "Pirates sell" saying.

I'm afraid Sails will go that direction after essential Trafalgar ships are available.

The only question is how historical they can keep it. Sails isn't that detailed at the lowest end of the spectrum where historical pirates would lie.

Pirates do sell, especially in the United States. Only recently was I made aware of the Gasparilla Pirate Festival in Tampa, Florida. Apparently it's been going on since 1904 and now attracts up to 500,000 people over several days. It's parade is the 3rd largest in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw-hyWUXloM

Nightmoss
02-07-2018, 11:29
Thanks for the Heads up Jim. No doubt Simon will be in his element as our paramount Pirate Admiral.
I'm sure even after the games we have had against him and his sea monster that he will be able to bring out the best in the Ares models should they ever surface. As far as earlier designs are concerned, i have just been reading about some of the antiquated ships that the Dutch deployed against us at the Cape and in the East Indies, so we could even use them vs Napoleonics in some limited encounters.
Rob.

I do wish Ares had focused a bit more on the lower scale ships and stats so a 'Pirate Expansion' could have been brought into play. As Jonas said in another post, pirates sell, and they would have done very well in the US.

Bligh
02-07-2018, 14:00
I agree Jim. I'm sure they could produce more small ships and sell plenty judging by the Ares Sloops and small Frigates I have had to butcher just recently to get my small ships.
Rob.

Dobbs
02-07-2018, 15:30
I agree Jim. I'm sure they could produce more small ships and sell plenty judging by the Ares Sloops and small Frigates I have had to butcher just recently to get my small ships.
Rob.

I know what you mean, Rob. Sloops are the most numerous ships in my collection. 3 ship rigged, 2 brigs, 2 schooners, 1 bomb ketch, 1 brigantine, and a xebec or lugger waiting to happen.

Nightmoss
02-24-2018, 09:06
Just dropping by to let folks know that British vs Pirates, Vol 2 has been successfully funded with 5 days left in the campaign. This is not a sim by any stretch, but rather a fast and fun game that would appeal to casual gamers. I have no doubt that once you have them interested in a naval setting board game you could get them into SoG or other naval miniature games.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/776566830/british-vs-pirates-volume-2?ref=user_menu

If anyone has further interest there's a unboxing of sorts showing some of what you'll get. Originally posted on the Beast of War website. Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmVOp_ouwbQ

Bligh
02-24-2018, 10:04
Thanks for the Heads up Jim.
Rob.

Nightmoss
02-25-2018, 09:35
Thanks for the Heads up Jim.
Rob.

You're welcome of course. It's gotten me back to painting minis, which was a big 'IF' after double cataract surgery. I have to wear size 3 reading glasses to do so, but at least I can see what I'm doing. Pirates and Flying Dutchman were also a big motivation. ;)

I seem to have forgotten the best way to upload photos. Hopefully these came through.

Bligh
02-25-2018, 09:44
Glad to hear you are back in the swing of things Jim.
The glasses the hospital gave me after my Retinal occlusion looked like a set of Infra red night vision Goggles. They were so heavy you cold only wear them for about 15 minutes at a time.Once my own Optician decided to give up on the idea and just concentrate on my slightly better eye alone, the specs got a lot better, and I can use one eye for the modelling as long as I have a strong light on it.
I hope that you find ways of maximizing the result of your operation.
Rob.

Nightmoss
02-25-2018, 10:04
Glad to hear you are back in the swing of things Jim.
The glasses the hospital gave me after my Retinal occlusion looked like a set of Infra red night vision Goggles. They were so heavy you cold only wear them for about 15 minutes at a time.Once my own Optician decided to give up on the idea and just concentrate on my slightly better eye alone, the specs got a lot better, and I can use one eye for the modelling as long as I have a strong light on it.
I hope that you find ways of maximizing the result of your operation.
Rob.

Without going into details that no one really cares about they gave me one lens for close up and one for distance. So glasses for around the house really aren't needed. For close up or far away I'll need to wear some form of glasses to correct vision (with astigmatism). Fatigue sets in pretty quickly when painting close up so I limit working to about two hours at a stretch. It's all good when you consider I've been wearing glasses since I was five years of age. I still reach for them in the morning first thing, but I really don't need them. :)

And you're quite right. Higher levels of light make a huge difference now.