PDA

View Full Version : BATAVIA PHOTO GALLERY

Cmmdre
06-04-2013, 23:28
I came across this link which has some excellent photos and images of interest.

http://www.bataviaphotos.com/index.html

CHolgren
06-05-2013, 05:48
Nice link Paul. Strange to think my ancestor predated this ship and was a captain/navigator for the VOC.

Coog
06-05-2013, 06:58
Interesting link with some good info on the Dutch influence in the Java area.

7eat51
06-05-2013, 08:09
Some of those pictures are quite lovely. I am always amazed when I see closeup shots of rigging. Effectively sailing one of these ships must be a true blend of art and science. Great link, Paul.

Volunteer
06-05-2013, 08:16
Beautiful photos of a real ship. Seeing the two ships in a mock battle with smoe from the broadside was really cool.

Cmmdre
06-05-2013, 10:43
The wood sculpting is what really makes it a working work of art. As for the rigging there is another art form that is disappearing as well. Darn shame. Glad to see some people preserving these for future generations.

DeRuyter
06-12-2013, 10:49
The shipyard (Bataviawerf) is worth a visit. It is in Lelystad which is northwest of Amsterdam. Maybe Sea Gull has been there! Website: www.bataviawerf.nl

They are now building a reconstruction of De Zeven Provincien (Seven Provinces) an 80 gun SoL built in 1665 for the Anglo-Dutch wars. The builders try to use the most authentic materials and construction methods possible. The Batavia was built with no modern features like watertight bulkheads or engines. So unfortunately no public sailings these days. She was taken to Austrialia on a barge for her historic sail.

Eric

Naharaht
06-12-2013, 22:06
There are some beautiful pictures. Thank you for posting the link.

Cmmdre
06-13-2013, 07:16
There are some beautiful pictures. Thank you for posting the link.

You are quite welcome David. I'm always in the crows nest looking for such material to discover and share with my shipmates.