PDA

View Full Version : 3D Scan of VICTORY

David Manley
06-04-2013, 14:55
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2335458/HMS-Victory-youve-seen-The-amazing-3D-map-Nelsons-battleship-created-lasers-bid-help-restore-it.html

I've used 3D scanners similar to this for some jobs (including one very big one) - awesome bits of kit

Cmmdre
06-04-2013, 16:52
Interesting post David. I liked the present facts of preservation tied with historical facts. The cheeky column on the right hand side of the screen, Femail is totally over the top though. :wink:

Naharaht
06-04-2013, 19:43
Modern technology used to preserve old technology. Very good.

Berthier
06-04-2013, 19:55
Very impressive project David, nice reference for us.

I found this comment interesting

"She has been concertinaing (sic) downwards by about half a centimeter each year for the past 30 years due to a range of factors."

We forget at times that these ships are in some senses alive, the wood expands and contracts with atmospheric conditions, the ropes and timber rot, the metal rusts or oxidises in other ways, the pitch shrinks and crumbles etc etc. It's like trying to keep a person of a hundred years age going for another hundred years and is a constant battle against the tendency to chaos and decay.

7eat51
06-04-2013, 23:24
Impressive and interesting. Twenty-year project at 55 million pounds. I cannot imagine how beautiful she will look.

Diamondback
06-05-2013, 14:36
Part of me thinks it would REALLY help to fully enclose and climate-control Victory Dock around the ship, building over her masts. Stupendously expensive, yes, but if we can do it for a Saturn V... the technology is probaly there, it's just a question of budget.

Another question would be, if the hull is sufficiently structurally sound (ie, "structural restoration" as opposed to "cosmetic"), would periodically flooding the dock and letting her float possibly help her with bearing her own weight?

Devsdoc
06-05-2013, 15:41
Impressive and interesting. Twenty-year project at 55 million pounds. I cannot imagine how beautiful she will look.

I first saw her around 39 years ago. I saw her last on the 30-5-13 at the opening of the new Mary Rose museum (she is across the plaza from the museum). She has only her lower masts in and a big hole in her port side. No matter what, she always looks beautiful.

Part of me thinks it would REALLY help to fully enclose and climate-control Victory Dock around the ship, building over her masts. Stupendously expensive, yes, but if we can do it for a Saturn V... the technology is probaly there, it's just a question of budget.

Another question would be, if the hull is sufficiently structurally sound (ie, "structural restoration" as opposed to "cosmetic"), would periodically flooding the dock and letting her float possibly help her with bearing her own weight?

To walk into Portsmouth dockyard and see her masts (not last Thursday) over the buildings. As you get closer to her you see her stern first, then see more of her as you walk towards her. Is something to see and not forget. So to put her in a big box! No way. You would destroy the magic. I can understand the Mary Rose box but not the Victory.
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
06-05-2013, 22:38
No matter what, she always looks beautiful.

Well said.