PDA

View Full Version : 1/1000 vs 1/1200 Review

David Manley
05-31-2013, 10:52
I got hold of a pre-pub set of components and models for the Naval Wargames Show game last Monday. This set is obviously more pre-pub. than the set I saw at Salute as the counters are made from foam core, as are the ship bases (the Salute set had plastic bases) - problem with the foam core is that it is way shallower than the plastic bases and so the peg sticks out along way through the bottom and makes the models "teeter" on the table (no real matter as they are pre-pubs after all, so I'm tempted to trim the pegs slightly to make the models "sit" better for the NWS game). Also, no box included in this demo set, which will lessen the impact of the game and display, but I guess we'll cope.

Anyway, now that I have a set of models its give me a chance to take a decent look at them, and to compare them with my existing 1/1200 models. I must say I'm quite pleased. The detail is good, slightly heavier than a typical 1/1200 model but not noticeably so, and certainly not when viewed from more than a foot away. The paint jobs are pleasing - perfectly good for the majority of wargamers, and a good basis for those who want to add detail; I should imagine that painting in the yards , some shading around the infill between the masts and the sails, and a light brown wash (GW "Devlan Mud" or equivalent) should have them looking superb.

So, the big question - how do they fit in sizewise with 1/1200 models? I'd say "pretty well". I've added some photos to give you an idea, plus some general shots (apologies for the quality but I'm stuck with using a camera phone just now).

http://www.sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5163&d=1369998667
The four models together

http://www.sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5165&d=1369998750
A pair of '74s - should work well together

http://www.sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5166&d=1369998796
And a pair of frigates - again, an acceptable match, IHMO

csadn
05-31-2013, 13:43
problem with the foam core is that it is way shallower than the plastic bases and so the peg sticks out along way through the bottom and makes the models "teeter" on the table

They're not "teetering" -- that's the wave-motion of the seas. :)

http://www.sailsofglory.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5163&d=1369998667

Do I see the tail of a German R-type in the upper-right of this pic? ;)

Nightmoss
05-31-2013, 15:38
Thanks for posting the photos. It does look like these will be fun to paint and rig. This may have been asked before so I apologize now, but are the masts easily removed and replaced? Deck detail will be much easier if we can do that. Thanks again!

7eat51
05-31-2013, 15:56
I must admit that seeing the two different scales side-by-side gives me more desire to build some 1/1200s, as they look like they would function well together. Unfortunately, as I was talking about ordering some 1/1200 ships yesterday with my wife, she laughed at the thought of me painting and rigging such small models. On the good side, she is willing to try as well. The way I figure it, she will make the pre-battle versions and I will make the post-pounding versions.

Thanks for the informative pictures David.

Volunteer
05-31-2013, 16:18
Thanks for the post David. I saw it on TMP. I now have a better idea what they look like next to the Langtons.

Naharaht
05-31-2013, 16:52
Thank you for doing this. They seem quite a good match.

Diamondback
05-31-2013, 18:14
David, if you have a 1/1200 Slade 74 or Temeraire, would it be possible to get a shot of it with its SGN counterpart for an "Apples to Apples" comparison?

Andy Blozinski
06-01-2013, 08:25
David, if you have a 1/1200 Slade 74 or Temeraire, would it be possible to get a shot of it with its SGN counterpart for an "Apples to Apples" comparison?
Yeah, the Theseus just seems to be a much lower profile design and thus it makes it seem even smaller. The two frigates seem close enough, though.

Gunner
06-02-2013, 14:10
Not as bad as I had imagined. Thanks for sharing David.