PDA

View Full Version : Kickstarter- another game

Berthier
05-28-2013, 06:27
Thought this might interest a few of you,. another naval AOS game (because we really need ANOTHER one) and scale is 1/1700

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bombat/admiral?ref=live

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/554/061/fbd24d34b9b1c772bc67d263c7f1296a_large.jpg?1367322317
and a link to the more complex rules set in the series
http://bombatgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/AdmiralGame_Rules_Eng_AdmiralLevel.pdf

HMS Lydia
06-04-2013, 08:28
Interesting, they only have 11 days lleft of 33 days, and they have only raised 6.5 thousand dollars. The game looks like a new Milton Bradley Broadsides game sightly upgraded.

7eat51
06-04-2013, 09:11
The game seems quite expensive for what one is getting. Unlike SoG, I doubt there will be a corresponding community, events at cons, etc. There seems to be very little room for the game to grow other than adding additional ships that are not really minis. Bob, I think your assessment is spot-on, an upgraded Broadsides game.

I did find the opening video nicely done.

Coog
06-04-2013, 09:23
Interesting, they only have 11 days lleft of 33 days, and they have only raised 6.5 thousand dollars. The game looks like a new Milton Bradley Broadsides game sightly upgraded.

People might be a little unsure of the company and its location.

HMS Lydia
06-04-2013, 09:47
Per the Kickstarter it's out of Kiev, Russia. IMHO, the game pieces look extremely toyish for the price. I don't think their timing is the best, if Ares had not just introduced SoGN it may have made some difference in their launch, possibly.

Bob

RichardPF
06-04-2013, 11:46
The game movement rules are interesting in that they allow for different movement distance based on wind strength.
They also have an interesting rule set around point of sail distance traveled, though it does allow for travel directly into the wind.
For a square game space layout the basic movement mechanism is not that bad.
It is an unfortunate artifact of geometry that you can not build a lattice of identical shaped grid spaces with more than 6 sides

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaPphLR4ZF0&feature=youtu.be

Naharaht
06-04-2013, 19:37
I notice that they did think of including rules for using bow and stern guns.

RichardPF
06-04-2013, 21:46
Their ship log "equivalents" use magnetic marker tokens!
I wonder how pricey an Anchorage upgrade item like that might be in our world?

Wargamer
06-04-2013, 21:48
Nice! Finally an idea that won't slow things down.

Their ship log "equivalents" use magnetic marker tokens!
I wonder how pricey an Anchorage upgrade item like that might be in our world?

David Manley
06-04-2013, 22:20
It is an unfortunate artifact of geometry that you can not build a lattice of identical shaped grid spaces with more than 6 sides]

But you can use a hex grid and a system that has units either within hexes or on the intervening lines to give 12 points of sailing. IIRC there are a few variants for WSIM and CA that use that approach.

RichardPF
06-05-2013, 03:18
But you can use a hex grid and a system that has units either within hexes or on the intervening lines to give 12 points of sailing. IIRC there are a few variants for WSIM and CA that use that approach.

Actually, I had just been drawing up that idea.
What I had includes "directional starbursts" in the hexes.

A limitation I see is that you have more turn angle restriction when on the "lines" than when inside the hexes.

RichardPF
06-05-2013, 03:26
Thought this might interest a few of you,. another naval AOS game (because we really need ANOTHER one) and scale is 1/1700

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bombat/admiral?ref=live

and a link to the more complex rules set in the series
http://bombatgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/AdmiralGame_Rules_Eng_AdmiralLevel.pdf

Just took a minor plunge on this one.
Yes, just what I needed, thanks... :minis:

Unfortunately, it looks a bit iffy that this KS project will make it to their goal of $15K.

Berthier
06-05-2013, 03:43
Bruce, I think the project is struggling a bit, possibly due to SOG claiming interest and dollars earlier, possibly because the minis are a little crude but also there is bound to be some reservations about Russian based games. This latter point I think is unjustified in this case as they have produced the game in Russian already IIRC, plus there are some fine companies working out of there (Zvesda makes especially nice 1/72 plastic wargame figures and Strelets is another producr of these but of lesser quality) but some have had bad experiences with buying and selling with there particularly on ebay .

Coog
06-05-2013, 07:38
Bruce, I think the project is struggling a bit, possibly due to SOG claiming interest and dollars earlier, possibly because the minis are a little crude but also there is bound to be some reservations about Russian based games. This latter point I think is unjustified in this case as they have produced the game in Russian already IIRC, plus there are some fine companies working out of there (Zvesda makes especially nice 1/72 plastic wargame figures and Strelets is another producr of these but of lesser quality) but some have had bad experiences with buying and selling with there particularly on ebay .

We are actually dealing with two different countries although they both were once part of the USSR. Bombat is located in Ukraine, as is Strelets, and Zvezda is in Russia. Zvezda is very well established and I don't think most gamers would have a problem investing in a project by them while Bombat just started in 2012. I'm not sure if Bombat has produced anything before this attempt. Although Kickstarter does screen companies using their service, they make it clear they make no guarantee that companies will follow through after a project is funded. Legal recourses could be difficult if not impossible. I can see where folks might be a bit uneasy in investing $90 (the price level that makes the game worthwhile) in their project. Caveat emptor.

Cmmdre
06-05-2013, 07:48
That and after SOG... :moneygone: :minis: :moneygone: :moneygone:

7eat51
06-05-2013, 08:00
There have been several AoS kickstarter games as of late; currently there is a card-based game on as well. I think that hurts not only in terms of absolute dollars, but also relative. By relative, I mean that folks will assess based on perceived value of what they are getting for the cost, and compared to several other games recently, this game seems quite expensive for what one is getting. You're looking at ~$100 for the basic game, plus shipping outside of the U.S. I find the shipping issue interesting. Either production is in the U.S., or the company is shipping containers to the U.S. and distributing from here. Either way, international customers are paying more, and considering the SoG conversation about shipping and VAT, the perceived value of this game decreases even more.

csadn
06-05-2013, 14:32
Actually, I had just been drawing up that idea.
What I had includes "directional starbursts" in the hexes.

A limitation I see is that you have more turn angle restriction when on the "lines" than when inside the hexes.

Drop the hexes altogether; add points between the lines which don't already have points between them; then (if desired) double the MP.

Coog
06-13-2013, 11:18
With two days to go, I noticed that Admiral had reached it's $15,000 Kickstarter goal. A few days back it looked doubtful it would be funded.

Diamondback
06-13-2013, 12:50
Those surges can do funny things... On "What The Food?!," which seemed kinda slow-going and even a niche project, I watched it blow through two or three stretch goals in the last day. Granted, their stretches were only $1000 apart and mainly were adding cards to the core game that had been planned for expansion packs...

max_bombat
06-13-2013, 23:10
Hi guys,

My name is Max and I represent a BombatGame team (Admiral producer). First of all, I want to thank the team of Sails of Glory that let me answer in this thread on the questions raised.

So one by one:
1. Our ships. The ships are of 1:1700 scale, it means that they are much smaller as compared e.g. to Sails of Glory. So it is harder to make them very detailed. And on the photos we have 2 possibility: either to make a detailed photo and show that e.g. all the guns are marked carefully one by one and so on (but in this case photos of our ships still will be less impressive as compared to equal size photos of larger ships of other producers) or to make several ships on a photo (in this case our details will not be visible). So during our sales in Ukraine we noticed that people who saw the ships on the photos and after took them in the hands, have very differnt feeling and said they didn't expect such pleasent feeling from the ships in real life.
2. Imidge of our country (really Ukraine :-). It's hard to start sales abroad when you and your country are 'nobody' (for most of people outside) and only Klichko and Shevchenko are known by some foreigners (and have I hope reputation of honest people). At the same time it is crucial for us, as without abroad market we will not reach breakdown of the project: cost of the moulds that work with ABS plastics is very high. So we need to create a brand with a positive attitude now in order to be able to sell the game for years, not only on KS once.
Also during last month we published another game (2sided board "2 in 1" for children, with mechanics not based on Admiral, but with Admiral ships). And also want to sell it abroad.
3. Rules & Mechanics: thanks for nice words. We also like it. Thanks also for attempts to improve (graphs above): all of us see that in this case something very complex appears :-)
4. Magnetic tokens: again thanks :-)
5. VAT for non-USA customers: we can send Admiral from Ukraine: price of shipment will be the same, but no VAT is guaranteed (tested already).
Yesterday we decided to add in each box a gift of a set of 4 ships for assembling (backers e.g. can leave this set for theselves or make a gift for their friends or friends with families with children). It will hardly bring new customers as only 1 day is left, but existing will be pleased I hope.

Once more thanks to the team of this site! We agreed that we will not make excessive advertisement (the site is devoted to another game from Admiral), so I will not be able to post here regularly.

Best regards, Max

Berthier
06-14-2013, 03:14
Very nice of you to post here Max with these detailed answers to questions on the KS game. I wish you well in the final hours of the KS project and congratulate you on reaching the initial target.:g&t:

7eat51
06-17-2013, 19:02
Apparently, this game has been suspended by KS.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/991829/what-has-happened-on-kickstarter

max_bombat
06-17-2013, 20:56
Yes.
According to the KS policy they don't inform on what is the reason and don't answer on mails and even blocking communication with backers after the suspension. So we even can't write comments or updates or personal messages.
Our feeling is that a project is blocked due to large 'backing' made by our US partner. In the rules it is not forbidden and written only that backink is not allowed by creators only, so we didn't expect legal problems on this issue.
Now Game Salute opened preorder on their site. It has special prices (until 30/06/2013).
Link is below: http://shop.gamesalute.com/collections/front-page-1/bombat-games
But I see that GS must modify the description of the rewards, I hope they will make it in few days.

PS. In order our advertisement here is not excessive if one has questions to us, please write to my mail office_eng@bombatgame.com

Thanks, Max

7eat51
06-17-2013, 21:15
Hi Max,

It is fine to field questions here. This thread is dedicated to your game. Feel free to answer member questions about the game.

Best wishes.

max_bombat
11-14-2013, 12:55
Thanks, Eric!

I want to inform, that Admiral is availbale now on:
1. Our website: http://bombatgame.com/en/ . You may find also a naval geographical game for 5-years old children there.
2. Reliable USA retailer: Game Surplus (http://www.gamesurplus.com/)

Best regards, Max.