Cmmdre
05-26-2013, 09:27
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
The History of American Sailing Ships Author:
Howard I. Chapelle ISBN:
0-517-02332-6 Category:
Reference Format:
Hardback Summary:
Very detailed book that covers the colonial period, naval craft, privateers and slavers, revenue cutters, schooners, merchant craft and sailing yachts. The chapter on revenue cutters is my particular favorite as there isn't much detailed information available elsewhere. Great reference source and deserves a place in any nautical library. Detailed drawings complete this 400 page volume. Well worth the $2.89 I paid for this priceless resource.

Coog
05-26-2013, 11:29
I've got Chapelle's "The History of the American Sailing Navy," an excellent book. Sounds like this one is a lot like it. I'll have to get a copy of it.

Cmmdre
05-26-2013, 11:40
I've got Chapelle's "The History of the American Sailing Navy," an excellent book. Sounds like this one is a lot like it. I'll have to get a copy of it.

It was your positive review that lead me to both books Bobby. I owe you a debt of thanks. I've been culling over book reviews and stocking up on summer reading. I started on Jack Aubrey Commands by Lavery on Friday and am almost finished.

Coog
05-26-2013, 12:08
I started on Jack Aubrey Commands by Lavery on Friday and am almost finished.

If you are reading Aubrey books, this one is really good to help visualize the stories:

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?547-The-World-of-Jack-Aubrey

7eat51
05-26-2013, 19:21
II started on Jack Aubrey Commands by Lavery on Friday and am almost finished.

It is an excellent book. A great introduction to AoS life.

7eat51
05-26-2013, 19:54
It was your positive review that lead me to both books Bobby.

I just realized I ordered and received this and not The History of the American Sailing Navy. Back to amazon.