PDA

View Full Version : Win some, Lose some or DRAW

Devsdoc
05-14-2013, 19:33
I thought I would open this thread myself, before I put it in my album.

Have a fast game on Monday night. No 5th rate ships or smaller. The British had a 1st rate, 2nd rate, and 5 74's. The French had 1 120gun 1st rate, 1 80 gun 3rd rate, 5 74's and 1 Russian 74.

I played the French lke a Frenchman and fired at the masts only.We only had time for one pass. I crippled 2 British ships and a number of damaged masts. I ended with 1 ship looking like a Swiss Chesse and very poorly, and 1 burning but still firing her guns ship. Phil and I had a fun game and called it a draw. Hope you like the photo's
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
05-14-2013, 19:41
Great stuff Rory. This is definitely whetting my appetite for AoS minis.

The pics showing the ships gathering together makes me wonder how folks felt during that time when shots could come from multi-directions. Must have been a bit terrifying the first time someone experienced an engagement like this.

CHolgren
05-15-2013, 05:42
I thought I would open this thread myself, before I put it in my album.

Have a fast game on Monday night. No 5th rate ships or smaller. The British had a 1st rate, 2nd rate, and 5 74's. The French had 1 120gun 1st rate, 1 80 gun 3rd rate, 5 74's and 1 Russian 74.

I played the French lke a Frenchman and fired at the masts only.We only had time for one pass. I crippled 2 British ships and a number of damaged masts. I ended with 1 ship looking like a Swiss Chesse and very poorly, and 1 burning but still firing her guns ship. Phil and I had a fun game and called it a draw. Hope you like the photo's
Be safe
Rory
Rory,beautiful as always. I'm sure you've said elsewhere, but what rules are you using in these games?

Berthier
05-15-2013, 06:59
Impressive Rory, and sadly probably not possible using the SOG system. Is that Trafalgar (GW) rules you are using?

Nightmoss
05-15-2013, 08:43
Rory,

Very cool photos and thanks for posting the after action report. Your ships are looking fantastic!

DeRuyter
05-15-2013, 15:01
Impressive Rory, and sadly probably not possible using the SOG system. Is that Trafalgar (GW) rules you are using?

+1 fantastic looking ships, and your boards look great as well. I don't think this scenario would be out of reach for SoG. You would need more players, but I think this is possible once you know the system. Maybe a club game with 6-8 players. I think an experienced player could run two ships. We'll find out soon!

Eric

csadn
05-15-2013, 15:16
One complaint: Do you think you could find some way of making the pics smaller, and/or not including so many of them? I'm on broadband, and it took three minutes to load all those pics....

Devsdoc
05-15-2013, 18:04
Hi All,
Thanks for the nice things said about the game. I will keep this as short as I can.

Great stuff Rory. This is definitely whetting my appetite for AoS minis.

The pics showing the ships gathering together makes me wonder how folks felt during that time when shots could come from multi-directions. Must have been a bit terrifying the first time someone experienced an engagement like this.

Hi Eric,
I do not think the men at the top thought about it. The ships and crew are a tool to be used. But Wellington riding over the field of Waterloo after the battle said "After a battle lost the next worse thing is a battle win". As for the crew etc, I hope we do not find out. But I think one just did ones job and not think about what was going on around you. Until afterwards, Then see HELL.

Rory,beautiful as always. I'm sure you've said elsewhere, but what rules are you using in these games?

Hi Cory,
Could you read Chris's post and not re-post the photos. Thanks :salute: GW Trafalgar standand rules this time. I do use David Manley "Houes Rules" add on's alot.

+1 fantastic looking ships, and your boards look great as well. I don't think this scenario would be out of reach for SoG. You would need more players, but I think this is possible once you know the system. Maybe a club game with 6-8 players. I think an experienced player could run two ships. We'll find out soon!
Eric

Hi Daniel & Eric (again),
You all know I'm no fan of SOG as I feel left out by them. But if you used cross-off, write on type of Ships-logs and not the stacks of tokens/chips. Think squadrons of ships not each ship for the first 2 to 3 moves or so. I think it could be done! For information on the boards go to the making a gaming table thread

One complaint: Do you think you could find some way of making the pics smaller, and/or not including so many of them? I'm on broadband, and it took three minutes to load all those pics....

Hi Chris,
Sorry! I'm damed if I do, and bug##d if I don't! I'm asked for more pics all the time. My I.T. skills are very poor, I Cheer at each posting that works And dance and cheer for each photo. Sizeing????????? that is over my head! You Guy's tell me what to do. I could do the report on a thread and just put the photos in my album only?
Be safe
Rory

Naharaht
05-15-2013, 20:41
Impressive photos. I am thinking that one gaming mat will not be enough to play 'Sails of Glory'.

7eat51
05-15-2013, 22:24
Hi Eric,
I do not think the men at the top thought about it. The ships and crew are a tool to be used. But Wellington riding over the field of Waterloo after the battle said "After a battle lost the next worse thing is a battle win". As for the crew etc, I hope we do not find out. But I think one just did ones job and not think about what was going on around you. Until afterwards, Then see HELL.

I imagine you're right. In the midst of battle, I would think it was hectic, to say the least, onboard ship. This is where discipline pays off. I wonder what types of PTSD took place among the military of the time. Nice Wellington quote.

As for picture size, I just downloaded one and it was over 3 MB, which is pretty large. If you can adjust your camera to less resolution - not as many pixels - that could reduce your file size. It is a bit of a catch-22. Regardless, thanks for sharing. Your minis and games are rather inspiring to say the least.

Berthier
05-15-2013, 22:43
Rory
I am no expert on this but to make pictures smaller (I had to figure this out myself too to upload to SOG) just click on edit picture in whatever software you use to view it, there will hopefully be a "resize" option in one of the drop down menus of the edit screen. If you choose this and it gives you an option of pixels (say 4000*3000) you can change the first number to say 1200 and the second will change automatically too (in this case to 900) if you have "keep scaling" ticked. You then re-save the image with a different name and send that image to the upload. Sometimes the resize will only give you the details of the existing file size and I think you can just select the size you wish, even cutting it by 70% usually doesn't affect the image quality if it is a large photo file.

Avi
05-15-2013, 23:21
First thank you for the pictures and report - very impressive and very inspiring.

Hi All,
Hi Chris,
Sorry! I'm damed if I do, and bug##d if I don't! I'm asked for more pics all the time. My I.T. skills are very poor, I Cheer at each posting that works And dance and cheer for each photo. Sizeing????????? that is over my head! You Guy's tell me what to do. I could do the report on a thread and just put the photos in my album only?
Be safe
Rory

What software do you use to edit/clean up your photos? I am sure someone on the these boards can take you through the editing process.

RichardPF
05-16-2013, 04:35

If you are working on a Windows machine, it will have MS Paint installed by default.
Here is a resizing process that you can use:

Right click on the image and select Edit

Paint will likely open by default.
From the top of the screen press the Resize button.

Select a % of original for the resize.
Here I am selecting 25% (just as an example, you can enter any % or exact pixel size that you like).
Make sure that the Maintain Aspect Ratio Check Box is checked.

From the Drop down menu at the top left, select Save As > JPEG Picture
(Use Save As rather than Save so you do not muck up the original).
The system will ask for a new name for the image and will probably want to put it in the same directory as the original (which is probably fine).

Here is a view of the directory with the original and new "smaller" versions.
While the dimensions are each 25% of the original,
because this is a 2 dimensional image (length x width), the new file size is more like 5% of the original.

Here is what the new smaller image looks like on the screen.

7eat51
05-16-2013, 07:35
Well done Bruce. :thumbsup:

May I suggest making it its own thread, or posting it as a how-to-article? This is the type of info that many of us will benefit from.

Devsdoc
05-16-2013, 10:48
If you are working on a Windows machine, it will have MS Paint installed by default.
Here is a resizing process that you can use:

Here is what the new smaller image looks like on the screen.

Hi Bruce,
Thank you for you help. I will be an idiot. If I can not follow your lead on this. But when it comes to computors my brain seems to dribble out of my right ear and my eyes cross. I will try the above on my next photos So I maybe getting back to you soon.
Be safe
Rory