PDA

View Full Version : Devdoc's After Action Report

Nightmoss
05-09-2013, 09:46
Rory,

I almost missed out on seeing your after action report, but just looked at "What's New?" and saw the photos in your album. Thanks for posting and how did you end up winning?

http://www.sailsofglory.org/album.php?albumid=154

Cheers!

Devsdoc
05-09-2013, 19:20
I was going to wait a bit, but Jim beat me to it.
The French had to stop the British gettting into the harbour. The French had 2 shore-batteries on the harbour sea walls. 2 shore-batteries on the bottom right shore-line and the fort in the middle(ish) of the sea. They also had 7 SOL anchored out-side the harbour, and 4 frigates and 2 brigs sailing around. The British fleet had 5 British 3rd raters and 2 Russian 74's in 2 columns near the bottom shore-line. With a 1st and 2nd rate ships in the middle. 3 frigates and 2 brigs on the left side. North was the harbour end and the wind blowing from the South. This moved once about turn 5-6 one point to N.N.E. so had no big inpack on the game.

The 2 big SOL moved up the table as did the smaller ships. The 2 columns moved to attark the 2 shore batteries. The French frigates moved to the fort and the 2 larger British ships

The fort and the 4 French frigates hit the 1st and 2nd rate ships hard. The 2 columns destory the 2 gun batteries, all but 1 crew point. In GW Trafalgar the side holding the wind gage fires first. so the French fired first all game long.

The 2 British Large ships limp away from 2 crippled French frigates a burnning fort and 2 shot up frigates going the wrong way.

The French SOL up anchor 3 go for my frigates and brigs. 3 for my SOL and the 1st rate for my poorly 1st and 2nd rater. (At this point I :happy: )

The 3 French SOL punch up my smaller ships, I have one sunk my brigs are crippled and one set on firer. I damage 1 74 and 1 sails of the table.

The 7 SOL of the line make short work of the 3 French ones, my burning frigate blocks 1 shore battery on the harbour wall. My 2 large get hit again by the French 1st rate ship. 1 is crippled, but somehow sails on. With only 1 battery left, and all of the French ships behind me O.K. 1 burning 74 of to one side I could sail most of my ships into the harbour.

For more photos see my album. Sorry the pics a not better, but they gave you an idea of the game. Matt "The Unhappy" is in the photos.
Be safe
Rory

Coog
05-09-2013, 20:06
Very nice game set up with great terrain and models!

7eat51
05-09-2013, 20:42
That is an impressive looking game. How difficult is it to manage that many ships?

Volunteer
05-09-2013, 21:28
The wind gauge Trafalgar rule for who fires first doesn't seem fair or right. Kiss Me Hardy determines who fires by the draw of a card so you never know. Adds a little more realism for me.

Nice report Rory, but I already told you that.

Vol

Nightmoss
05-09-2013, 22:00
Thanks Rory! Looks like it was an interesting set up and fight. Didn't mean to spoil your show, but I'm glad I linked your album. Very cool to see all those ships!

Avi
05-10-2013, 02:49
Very nice :salute:

Are there only the two of you controlling the whole battle?
How long did it take?

Devsdoc
05-10-2013, 16:49
That is an impressive looking game. How difficult is it to manage that many ships?

Eric,
Each ship is named. Each ship has a log (the white bits on the table). All of the information needed to use the ship is on the log. Each part of the ship has a number of damage boxs which we tick off as the ship takes hits and change how the ship works. We both once gave damage to the wrong ship in this game, but was soon seen and put right. The logs show the diffient class of ship, rate and size. With one or two add-ons to show nation treats

The wind gauge Trafalgar rule for who fires first doesn't seem fair or right. Kiss Me Hardy determines who fires by the draw of a card so you never know. Adds a little more realism for me.

Nice report Rory, but I already told you that.

Vol

Thanks Vol,
I don't know! All ship actions of the time talk of getting "The Wind/Weather Gage". In GW Trafalgar Windward ships move last, as they can see what the Leeward ships do first. So have the advantage. The Windward fleet (Fleet with the most Windward ship) fire first and do damage first. The Leeward fleet can fire back, but with damage already received. this gives the Windward ships an advantage. In most games this can change by movement and/or wind gage moving around. But having shore-batteries made this work not so well. No! it is not fair, but is right.

Very nice :salute:

Are there only the two of you controlling the whole battle?
How long did it take?

Hi! Avi,
We played on what is called a "Bankholiday Monday". We started around 4-00pm, had a long dinner break. It was a slow game, but ment so. We finshed around 11-00pm.

To All
I'm not saying GW "Trafalgar" is the best rule set. David Manley's add-ons help the game along lots. I would love to play diffient rules, but no one around me wishes to play diffient rules.
Be safe
Rory