PDA

View Full Version : Napoleon's Death

Coog
05-05-2013, 10:55
Today, 5 May, marks the death of Napoleon Bonaparte. Here's a rerun of the discussion we had on his death:

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.php?436-On-This-Day-5-May

David Manley
05-05-2013, 12:06
And of course very fortunate for Lord Hornblower that Boney popped his clogs when he did!

7eat51
05-05-2013, 18:54
How should one respond to such an event? With thanksgiving? With mourning? With respect?

csadn
05-05-2013, 19:21
How should one respond to such an event? With thanksgiving? With mourning? With respect?

"He was a man, taken for all in all; we shall not look upon his like again."

Diamondback
05-05-2013, 21:13
A blend of respect, mourning, and relief would be appropriate, I think--Napoleon was a soldier and generally fought in accord with the Rules of War of his time as I understand it, definitely doesn't belong in any kind of comparison to the likes of Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, the Kims and OBL.

Admittedly I am not an expert on Napoleonic France or the man himself, but I'm going with a profiler's gut. Besides, he DID help bring an end to Robespierre and his buddies' Reign of Terror IIRC...

David Manley
05-06-2013, 01:30

Why would you feel the need to "respond" to such an event? Or were you referring to someone who was alive at the time? If so it depends where you lived. For many it would be a time of rejoicing or at least relief that the threat that he would come back - again - to spread death and misery across the continent of Europe had passed.

Berthier
05-06-2013, 04:42
Oh dear, if I comment I'll be political..must not comment...must not...must...Not..:happy: