PDA

View Full Version : Kickstarter Card Game

Coog
05-02-2013, 16:22
There's a somewhat inexpensive card game on Kickstarter called Moby **** with a whale hunting theme. I bet they won't be playing this one on Sea Shepherd ships. (the Whale Wars folks on TV)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/827765657/moby-****-or-the-card-game?ref=NewsMay0213&utm_campaign=May02&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

7eat51
05-02-2013, 22:50
Bobby, the link doesn't work due to the Anchorage's software replacing a certain word with ****

There's 27 days left, so plenty of time to find it. Looks interesting.

I find it a little ironic that a game about whale hunting advertises the following pledge gift:
We use sustainably produced totes from EcoBags.com

Coog
05-02-2013, 22:55
Bobby, the link doesn't work due to the Anchorage's software replacing a certain word with ****

It can be reached by going to this Kickstarter page:

http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/tabletop%20games

Gaz67
05-03-2013, 10:58

Perhaps we should ask them to rename it "Moby Richard"

CHolgren
05-08-2013, 04:45
I should check this out, Considering it was this book that got me interested in sailing vessels. Thanks Bobby.

7eat51
05-08-2013, 05:12
I find the selection of goodies for the different pledge levels interesting - postcards, prints, tote bags, illustrations - nothing specifically game related in terms of playing.

Ever since the SoG KS, I have paid closer attention to stretch goals and pledge-level rewards. You can learn a bit about the creators by what they think is important or motivating.

Coog
05-08-2013, 05:19
I find the selection of goodies for the different pledge levels interesting - postcards, prints, tote bags, illustrations - nothing specifically game related in terms of playing.

Ever since the SoG KS, I have paid closer attention to stretch goals and pledge-level rewards. You can learn a bit about the creators by what they think is important or motivating.

The game projects that have a lot of backing, the ones around $2 million, can really provide a lot of free extras and exclusives and make Kickstarter very worthwhile.

7eat51
05-08-2013, 05:30
The game projects that have a lot of backing, the ones around $2 million, can really provide a lot of free extras and exclusives and make Kickstarter very worthwhile.

I recently participated in Myth - a cooperative mini dungeon crawl game. At the $100 pledge level, I am receiving, as stretch goals, over 100+ minis, extra tiles, etc. I am still trying to figure out how they are making significant profit from the KS. Myth ended just shy of $1 million.

We have many friends who are now playing games due to cooperatives, so I am trying to build a collection of different themes and mechanics - suggestions are more than welcome. We currently have: Pandemic, Flashpoint, Shadows Over Camelot, Arkham Horror, Battlestar Galactica.

CHolgren
05-08-2013, 11:13
I recently participated in Myth - a cooperative mini dungeon crawl game. At the $100 pledge level, I am receiving, as stretch goals, over 100+ minis, extra tiles, etc. I am still trying to figure out how they are making significant profit from the KS. Myth ended just shy of $1 million.

We have many friends who are now playing games due to cooperatives, so I am trying to build a collection of different themes and mechanics - suggestions are more than welcome. We currently have: Pandemic, Flashpoint, Shadows Over Camelot, Arkham Horror, Battlestar Galactica.
I think I've said sentinels of the multiverse, super hero themed co-op. My kids also like Yggdrasil, Norse gods trying to stop ragnorak, although that one can drag a bit. I know we have others just can't think what they are at the moment.

csadn
05-08-2013, 15:34

Check out the _Robotech_ KS: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robotech-rpg-tacticstm?ref=search .

Damn, I'm going to have paint a lot of stuff.... :)

7eat51
05-08-2013, 21:32
Check out the _Robotech_ KS: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robotech-rpg-tacticstm?ref=search .

Damn, I'm going to have paint a lot of stuff.... :)

Why are you doing this to me? I must resist. I must. :cry:

Diamondback
05-09-2013, 00:07
Geez, If I were more liquid... this would be fun to tweak the EarthFirst!ers around my area.

7eat51
05-09-2013, 08:25
I think I've said sentinels of the multiverse, super hero themed co-op. My kids also like Yggdrasil, Norse gods trying to stop ragnorak, although that one can drag a bit. I know we have others just can't think what they are at the moment.

I checked out Sentinels when you previously mentioned it. It is in a cart to be purchased. Thanks.

Here is a nice video review of the game: http://boardgamegeek.com/video/28531/sentinels-of-the-multiverse/dice-tower-reviews-sentinels-of-the-multiverse-w

csadn
05-09-2013, 14:52
Why are you doing this to me? I must resist. I must. :cry:

Could be worse -- I could be sending you links to TVTropes.

Like this one: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TortureAlwaysWorks ....

>;)

7eat51
05-09-2013, 21:06

Like this one: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TortureAlwaysWorks ....

>;)

The ethics of torture - it is common in ethics courses to examine a case in which someone will detonate a nuclear bomb in a major city that will kill millions of people, and the only way to stop the bomber is by publicly torturing a loved one of the bomber. Very tricky ground.

Diamondback
05-09-2013, 21:17

>;)
"DiNozzo!" :smack:

csadn
05-10-2013, 14:21
The ethics of torture - it is common in ethics courses to examine a case in which someone will detonate a nuclear bomb in a major city that will kill millions of people, and the only way to stop the bomber is by publicly torturing a loved one of the bomber. Very tricky ground.

I took an ethics class once.

Once.... >:)

The teacher did *not* like me.

7eat51
05-10-2013, 15:44

Hey Cory, ordered Sentinels core game and a couple of expansions - also Escape. Thanks for the suggestion.

CHolgren
05-10-2013, 19:18
Hey Cory, ordered Sentinels core game and a couple of expansions - also Escape. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's a fun game, takes you back to childhood a bit. We've never really come close to winning, but we have fun trying.

7eat51
05-10-2013, 20:16
It's a fun game, takes you back to childhood a bit. We've never really come close to winning, but we have fun trying.

Not really my childhood. I never read a comic book, nor did I ever watch superhero types of shows. Actually, didn't really watch TV much - too many guys on my block to be indoors. Any type of childhood game connection probably would be WWII due to Hogan's Heroes, Combat, model building, and army men. I really wish I kept all my army men. I have a growing interest in the superhero/villain story. I had a student write a paper comparing and contrasting Superman and Batman and the ethics of their approaches to crime fighting. It really intrigued me. I now have a couple of philosophy books on superheroes to read sometime in the near future.

I watched Tom Vassal's (spelling?) review as well as a few other videos. It definitely looks fun and has very good reviews. I think it will bring something new to the group I have in mind for these games. They enjoy Flash Point and Pandemic, so this will bring a completely new genre and game mechanic. It looks like it will be a lot of fun, and I like that there are several expansions, so a lot of game replay ability.

There are several other games I will pick up in the near future. My wife and I have been talking about hosting game nights with these types of games. We have another group for RPG and military games - some crossover. I think the whole cooperative game genre has opened the gaming world to many people, especially those who are not competitive but simply want to have a good time. I am impressed with the ones we've played thus far.

I just learned about games in which one player plays the board, if you will, with everyone else cooperating. I will pick up some of these and be that player - somewhat like GMing. I am also looking into Yggdrasil this weekend - thanks again for the suggestions Cory.

Edit - I am watching this video review of Yggdrasil, and this reviewer is one of my favorites (I own many games due to his reviews): http://boardgamegeek.com/video/6993/yggdrasil/video-review-in-hd

Here's what I currently have or is in transit:
Pandemic - played
Flash Point - played
Shadows Over Camelot - first time next week
Escape - first time next week
Arkham Horror
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Battlestar Galactica
Myth

To get in the future:
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Defenders of the Realm
Letters from Whitechapel
Mice and Men

Any other suggestions for likeminded games are appreciated.

CHolgren
05-11-2013, 05:01
Not really my childhood. I never read a comic book, nor did I ever watch superhero types of shows. Actually, didn't really watch TV much - too many guys on my block to be indoors. Any type of childhood game connection probably would be WWII due to Hogan's Heroes, Combat, model building, and army men. I really wish I kept all my army men. I have a growing interest in the superhero/villain story. I had a student write a paper comparing and contrasting Superman and Batman and the ethics of their approaches to crime fighting. It really intrigued me. I now have a couple of philosophy books on superheroes to read sometime in the near future.

I watched Tom Vassal's (spelling?) review as well as a few other videos. It definitely looks fun and has very good reviews. I think it will bring something new to the group I have in mind for these games. They enjoy Flash Point and Pandemic, so this will bring a completely new genre and game mechanic. It looks like it will be a lot of fun, and I like that there are several expansions, so a lot of game replay ability.

There are several other games I will pick up in the near future. My wife and I have been talking about hosting game nights with these types of games. We have another group for RPG and military games - some crossover. I think the whole cooperative game genre has opened the gaming world to many people, especially those who are not competitive but simply want to have a good time. I am impressed with the ones we've played thus far.

I just learned about games in which one player plays the board, if you will, with everyone else cooperating. I will pick up some of these and be that player - somewhat like GMing. I am also looking into Yggdrasil this weekend - thanks again for the suggestions Cory.

Edit - I am watching this video review of Yggdrasil, and this reviewer is one of my favorites (I own many games due to his reviews): http://boardgamegeek.com/video/6993/yggdrasil/video-review-in-hd

Here's what I currently have or is in transit:
Pandemic - played
Flash Point - played
Shadows Over Camelot - first time next week
Escape - first time next week
Arkham Horror
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Battlestar Galactica
Myth

To get in the future:
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Defenders of the Realm
Letters from Whitechapel
Mice and Men

Any other suggestions for likeminded games are appreciated.

Growing up in rural Montana, I spent very little time indoors, we had acres and a mountain to explore.

You've got all of our Co-op games listed. Shadows over camelot is enjoyed by both my boys. It can drag, for us, a bit with the younger one, but I don't see that as a problem for you.

Arkham horror didn't go over too well for me and my older son, too much to keep track of for us. On the other hand we all like Elder Sign, just a dice version of Arkham Horror. Dice always go over big here.

Letters from Whitechapel is as you described, one versus the group. We've had a lot of fun with this and seemed to work with a smaller group. Not sure how a full 6 person game would work out since one person is head detective and tells the others what to do, it could be slow for the other detectives.

Mice and Men? Did you mean Mice and Mystics? MandM is a lot of fun, we all really enjoyed the game.

7eat51
05-11-2013, 15:04
No, I meant Mice and Men. It is a depressing game about finding work. One character …. Yes, Mice and Mystics is correct - that's what happens when you post before hitting the sack.

I didn't know Letters from Whitechapel was out. On the site where I am ordering it, it is in pre-order status. So you think 5 players against the one could be too many in terms of their ability to interact. Would three cops be good - basically something to play with another couple?

I just came across Police Precinct and Space Cadets - both potential buys. Again, I'm a bit amazed at the number of cooperative games on the market.

Looking forward to trying Shadows Over Camelot next weekend. Any advice?

CHolgren
05-11-2013, 16:31
No, I meant Mice and Men. It is a depressing game about finding work. One character …. Yes, Mice and Mystics is correct - that's what happens when you post before hitting the sack.

I didn't know Letters from Whitechapel was out. On the site where I am ordering it, it is in pre-order status. So you think 5 players against the one could be too many in terms of their ability to interact. Would three cops be good - basically something to play with another couple?

I just came across Police Precinct and Space Cadets - both potential buys. Again, I'm a bit amazed at the number of cooperative games on the market.

Looking forward to trying Shadows Over Camelot next weekend. Any advice?

We bought letter a couple of years ago. The original printing from Nexus. Letters really depends on how much interaction/advice the lead detective will take. If it's "do as I say" with taking no advice it could be slow for the others until their turn to lead.

No advice on shadows, it's fun. Because of the your evil turn/action it can be difficult to find the traitor. Even my 8 year old, who likes the evil action, can be very hard to tell if he's the traitor.

Have fun.