PDA

View Full Version : It's a Start--Montanes--74 guns

Nightmoss
04-28-2013, 17:15
It's with some trepidation, but a lot of encouragement from folks here (thanks Vol, Rory, everyone), that I've finally started my first ever construction of a Napoleonic 1/1200 ship. While I'm still waiting on supplies (micro drills for the masts, paint and brushes) I was able to clean up and prime the hull this afternoon (after chores).

I wont flood the site with photos, but if I hit some snags along the way a picture might help me get appropriate suggestions? This site and members are a gold mine of information. I'm very impressed by the detail on the Langton minis. I just hope I don't botch them when I start the painting process.

Anyhow, here are a few shots of the hull. I can now see further attention on some of the guns will be needed.

7eat51
04-28-2013, 17:19
Best wishes Jim. Looking forward to seeing your progress and completed work.

I am starting my first one this summer - USS Constitution.

Volunteer
04-28-2013, 23:24
Nice start Jim. I find it very important to have a solid mount to get the painted lines straight on the strakes. It looks like you have mounted the hull on a popsickle stick. If that works for you, great. If it doesn't, don't get frustrated and give up. Just try a different mount until you find one that works for you. I went through three different mounts on my first ship. Eventually I landed on a small block of wood slightly wider than the hull that I could clamp in a vise. Just keep trying different methods until you land on one that works for you. My first ship was the Montanes too, but GHQ.

Comte de Brueys
04-28-2013, 23:26
Good luck with this first build, Jim. :salute:

Gunner
04-29-2013, 00:49
Looks your off to a good start. Unless you already have it, Langton's, "A Guide to: Assembly, Painting & Rigging of Napoleonic Naval Models in Scale 1:1200" is a must have for your book shelf.

Berthier
04-29-2013, 02:36
Looks your off to a good start. Unless you already have it, Langton's, "A Guide to: Assembly, Painting & Rigging of Napoleonic Naval Models in Scale 1:1200" is a must have for your book shelf.

Ed good recommendation. I ordered that book last week before even ordering any ships! Should be here any day and I'll read up on what needs to be done, go over the forum entries on painting and assembly of ships and order from Rod for my first shot at painting a mini ship in ...20+years :erk:

Any recommendations on which ship to do please..must be French though!

Gunner
04-29-2013, 03:21
Any recommendations on which ship to do please..must be French though!

Langton's NF5 French 80 gun would be a good choice. A bunch used at Trafalgar. Formidable, Bucentaure, Neptune, Indomptable. Even the English had the Tonnant.

Sea Gull
04-29-2013, 05:23
A good start Jim. As Vol says, don't give up. I never actually completed a single AoS ship as my patience soon ran out. Now though I'm older, not really any wiser, but I do have more patience than I used to. I've a Skytrex 3 decker ready for painting on my workbench now. I'm busy procrastinating about starting the painting though. :embarass:

One thing about this site, apart from the magnificent examples of completed ships by so many members, is the encouragement and enthusiasm these masters show to the ham-fisted landlubbers who have just arrived on board so to speak.

Green flash
04-29-2013, 05:33
Very nice start,just take your time take a break when you need too,but most important have fun...

Beowulf03809
04-29-2013, 08:50
Very nice start. Can't wait to see it in progress.

The straight lines typical of paint jobs on AoS ships is really the biggest deterrent to me giving it a try. I just don't have the hand for it any more. Tiny detail is one thing but actual straight lines are a whole different animal for me.

Don't worry about 'flooding' with pics. You're not forcing anyone to look and some of us appreciate the flood! :rum:

Nightmoss
04-29-2013, 09:05
Thanks all for the words of support!

@Vol, I do have the jewelers hand clamp, which I'll be using when I start the detail painting (I think you've got one pictured on your blog and I've seen that many builders use them). I didn't want to get primer paint on it so I used the stick for the first coat.
@Gunner, I definitely have, "A Guide to: Assembly, Painting & Rigging of Napoleonic Naval Models in Scale 1:1200". I picked that up from Rob at Waterloo Minis when I purchased the Spanish squadron. It's a great resource.

One thing I've noticed in my reading of the Langton book as well as accounts elsewhere is the variety of painting conventions for all ships and all nationalities. Not only can they be different from ship to ship within navies, but also changed over time on any given ship. I've read some very interesting articles on how the Santissima Trinidad was actually painted at Trafalgar.

Still waiting on the micro drills before I can continue work on the sails. Basic hull painting is next, but I've got to get the small brushes for the deck and gun detail.

Nightmoss
04-29-2013, 16:20
I didn't get any more work done on the Montanes, but I did build a stand for the jewelers clamp. The idea comes via the link that Berthier posted back in March on the "Royal Sovereign" build by Wayne:

http://mainewargamershq.lefora.com/2010/04/12/11200-napoleonic-ships-wip/

I slapped mine together pretty quickly but I think it's going to work out well, especially when I get to the rigging?

Devsdoc
04-29-2013, 22:04
Sorry for being late, just got into your thread. I just hold the ship in my hand and paint on my knee. I have no space for a work-shop. Only a small box which I put on a stool in front of my arm chair and a white towel over my knee. So it can be done and you will do it. but the drill is a must. I did the holes on a ship for a firend once at his place. He only had a power drill. It was pants to use, I have a hand drill which I find best. Only paint what YOU SEE not what your told to see. Looking forward to seeing your work. Flood this thread with your photo's.
Be safe
Rory

Volunteer
04-29-2013, 22:40
I just use a needle in my hand drill for the rigging holes. It goes through the soft metal like a hot knife through butter and makes a nice clean hole with no shavings or metal dust. I only use the micro drills for sizing the mast holes.

Nightmoss
04-29-2013, 23:03
Never even thought to use a needle, Vol. I'll give it a try. But the micro drills are coming so I'll try them out also. I like the idea of no metal shavings or dust to get in things.

Rory, I don't think I could hold the ships steady enough in my hands for painting. If that's how you do it, that's pretty impressive. I'll probably use the clamp for painting and the stand for rigging.

7eat51
04-30-2013, 09:00
Do you folks use Dremel tools and bits?

Any suggestions about brand of vice - not sinful behavior - the device that holds the ship while working on it?

Nightmoss
04-30-2013, 09:31
Hey Eric,

I'm using a pin vice that's pretty similar to the one used by 'Wayne' in his blog. See the second picture. Not an expensive one, but it's working well so far. It has two collets to allow for micro drills and up to 1/8" drills:

http://mainewargamershq.lefora.com/2...nic-ships-wip/

I can't recommend a specific brand though. There are all metal ones as well as wood handle ones. I may have to upgrade depending on how well this one holds up over time.

Coog
04-30-2013, 09:40

I have a Dremel but do not like to use it much on models. I prefer handtools, particularly smaller ones designed for modeling.

Devsdoc
04-30-2013, 09:45

Any suggestions about brand of vice - not sinful behavior - the device that holds the ship while working on it?

Hi Eric,
I can not help you about Vices for models. Sinful ones not on an open site :embarass: I have only used a Dremel to drill holes once on a ship see post #13 on this thread. I used a Dremel on my wrecks and to make more or to open door ways, arches, windows and gunports on my harbour model. When I had a British ship in foreign service I would use the Dremel to remove the Skid Beams. Or have used Green Stuff to build up Skid Beams and finish them off with the Dremel on foreign ships in British service. Two ways to see if its British, Mizzen rigging and Skid Beams. Does Ares know this?
Be safe
Rory

Volunteer
04-30-2013, 23:56
Eric,
I use the same vice shown in Jim's photo, obtained from Micro Mart. I use my Dremel for all sorts of things, but never for drilling, that is strictly a hand operation.

Rory,
Skid beams??????? Please enlighten!

7eat51
05-01-2013, 00:31
Hey Guys, thanks for the answers, advice, and pointers. May is my time for gathering supplies and learning. June/July is my time for attempting to build. I look forward to sharing the process and results with you. I am sure I will have many questions along the way.

My wife makes jewelry. Something tells me these tools will see dual purpose use.

Beowulf03809
05-01-2013, 09:21
I don't think I'd trust a Dremel for drilling on something as small as a model. The damage done by a slip would be hard to fix. I only use a pin vice ('micro drill') for things like this myself. You can go as slow as you want and be very accurate. Sometimes a little push with a needle or similar sharp object to get a dimple where you intend to drill will help start off. I use my Dremel for many things both maintenance and hobby related but there are times where it's just too much.

Gunner
05-01-2013, 12:01
Sometimes a little push with a needle or similar sharp object to get a dimple where you intend to drill will help start off.

That'a a great Idea. Thanks Lawrence.

Coog
05-01-2013, 12:17
I don't think I'd trust a Dremel for drilling on something as small as a model. The damage done by a slip would be hard to fix. I only use a pin vice ('micro drill') for things like this myself. You can go as slow as you want and be very accurate. Sometimes a little push with a needle or similar sharp object to get a dimple where you intend to drill will help start off. I use my Dremel for many things both maintenance and hobby related but there are times where it's just too much.

Exactly the reason I don't use mine. Along with a micro drill, one of the handiest things to have is a set of small files, designed primarily for working with models. The files are in different shapes, making them useful for cleaning out and cutting holes, slots, and flat surfaces. Here's a link to a pageshowing them. You can also go to a page for drills from there.

http://www.micromark.com/filing.html

Gunner
05-01-2013, 12:27
Exactly the reason I don't use mine. Along with a micro drill, one of the handiest things to have is a set of small files, designed primarily for working with models. The files are in different shapes, making them useful for cleaning out and cutting holes, slots, and flat surfaces. Here's a link to a pageshowing them. You can also go to a page for drills from there.

http://www.micromark.com/filing.html

Perfect timing Coog. I was looking for a new set of drills.

Coog
05-01-2013, 12:43
Perfect timing Coog. I was looking for a new set of drills.

I don't know if you have used that company before, but they often run sales and you can get some good deals.

Devsdoc
05-01-2013, 17:13
I just use a needle in my hand drill for the rigging holes. It goes through the soft metal like a hot knife through butter and makes a nice clean hole with no shavings or metal dust. I only use the micro drills for sizing the mast holes.

Rory,
Skid beams??????? Please enlighten!

Sometimes a little push with a needle or similar sharp object to get a dimple where you intend to drill will help start off.

Vol, Lawrence,
I love the idea of the pin. You guy's are so good. :salute:

Vol,
Skid beams = Most nations store ships boats in the waist on the gun deck. The british ships layed beams across the waist and store ships boats on the skid beams. Note Langton does two ex french ships in british sevice a 80 gun and a 76 gun. They are the french models with skid (booms) beams. NB9 to 12.
Be safe
Rory

Sea Gull
05-02-2013, 06:35
Thanks Rory, learning something new each visit. :happy:

Nightmoss
05-03-2013, 16:42
I "finished" the sails this afternoon although I may go back to 'tweak' some of the painting. While I found this official or semi-official guide to painting Spanish ships I don't know if the colors come across aesthetically in this scale? So, while the yards are supposed to be black it looks rather stark. And I may repaint the ropes a tan rather than black? I'm learning a lot along the way, which means I will most likely do things differently on the next ship(s). :dazed:

http://naval.histofig.com/Painting-of-Napoleonic-Spanish.html

A couple of pics for your critiquing (I'm using my tablet to take the photos so the quality is not the best, sorry).

Next thing up is the ship itself. That's going to be a real challenge.

Devsdoc
05-03-2013, 17:59
Hi Jim,
STOP, DO NO MORE! They look good. Think whole ship not just masts. Once in the hull they will be more than good. Bloody good! Put them to one side and start your hull.
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
05-03-2013, 19:23
Jim, if you want to do more work on the masts I'd finish them first. It's a lot easier to tweak them now than after there mounted on the hull.

Nightmoss
05-03-2013, 19:38
Hi Jim,
STOP, DO NO MORE! They look good. Think whole ship not just masts. Once in the hull they will be more than good. Bloody good! Put them to one side and start your hull.
Be safe
Rory

Yes, sir. I think you're right it's time to work on the hull; deck first, then the really hard part. And thank you for the compliment. That means a lot coming from you.

@Gunner, If I do any more work on the masts, I'll definitely do it before mounting in the hull, thanks.

Devsdoc
05-03-2013, 19:51
Jim,
Your masts, your say! less is more. I've tweaked and wish I had not. They look as good as mine, or better. :envy:
Be safe
Rory

Berthier
05-03-2013, 22:14
Jim nice work and great to see the project from the start.

Sea Gull
05-04-2013, 15:01
Keep it up Jim. soon you'll be running with the experts. :happy:

Volunteer
05-04-2013, 15:12
Vol, Lawrence,
I love the idea of the pin. You guy's are so good. :salute:

Vol,
Skid beams = Most nations store ships boats in the waist on the gun deck. The british ships layed beams across the waist and store ships boats on the skid beams. Note Langton does two ex french ships in british sevice a 80 gun and a 76 gun. They are the french models with skid (booms) beams. NB9 to 12.
Be safe
Rory

OK Thanks Rory. I just didn't know what they were called.

Nightmoss
05-05-2013, 09:57
Nothing like close up photos to show you that more work needs to be done (or learned). I sort of finished the deck and hull this morning, but now I see all the little spots I've missed on painting and will need to touch up the most glaring errors. Others here have mentioned that it's best to avoid a ship at quarters with the guns runs out (at least for a first time effort). Having struggled with this big time I can readily agree this is really hard to get it to look right. So a few more photos before I go back and hit the few spots that need touch up.

Coog
05-05-2013, 10:08
Nothing like close up photos to show you that more work needs to be done (or learned). I sort of finished the deck and hull this morning, but now I see all the little spots I've missed on painting and will need to touch up the most glaring errors. Others here have mentioned that it's best to avoid a ship at quarters with the guns runs out (at least for a first time effort). Having struggled with this big time I can readily agree this is really hard to get it to look right. So a few more photos before I go back and hit the few spots that need touch up.

Don't worry about what you can see in close up photos. The camera will bring out imperfections every time. If it looks good to you using only your eyesight, it will look good to everyone else, particularly on the gaming table. Trying to get it perfect will drive you crazy.

Cmmdre
05-05-2013, 10:29
Jim I agree with Bobby. Nobody will be putting your models under the looking glass. I've looked at miniatures up close and thought I didn't like it for this reason or that and when it got to the table and into the game it looked great. Keep up the good work, it looks good to me if that helps. I have really enjoyed your posts and photos regarding this project.

:minis: :happy:

Sea Gull
05-05-2013, 11:33
Brilliant effort Jim. I don't see any imperfections. Use the 3ft rule, what does it look like from 3ft? Hell even my 28mm stuff looks crap from close up, but it's passable from the 3 ft distance.
My advise is leave it as is and get the sails on, put the whole thing on a blue cloth on a table and stand back. If it looks good, job's done.

Get the next model ready for the next lesson. :happy::minis::minis:

Devsdoc
05-05-2013, 12:44
Hi Jim,
Yes! to all of the above. Your looking (very) good. There like kids, you will over do the 1st one. But after 3 or 4 you will get less picky, and think this will hide that etc,. Yours are looking better than mine. Go for it.:salute:
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
05-05-2013, 13:30
Your model looks good jim. But the decision is yours. If your happy with it, great job your done. If something about it bothers you and you have the time, by all means go for it. It's what makes you and not others happy that counts.

Nightmoss
05-05-2013, 13:42
Thanks all for the kind words and suggestions to be less critical. I'll never get to the 1st rate if I spend too much more time on this one. I'm going to get the sails in this afternoon and give it a dull coat. Maybe some more pics later today (taken at 3 feet). :happy:

Nightmoss
05-05-2013, 15:32
Sails are in, dull coat is applied and now for the really scary part; rigging. I think I'll read Rod Langton's book about 3 or 4 times again before I start on this step. A few pics to end the weekend.

Volunteer
05-05-2013, 17:05
Jim you definitely have a knack for painting. I'm envious. The ship is gorgeous. And it looks like there is plenty of room for rigging.

7eat51
05-05-2013, 18:45
Very impressive work. I will do my first one this summer, and can only hope to be half as good. Well done. :hatsoff:

Nightmoss
05-05-2013, 21:55
Jim you definitely have a knack for painting. I'm envious. The ship is gorgeous. And it looks like there is plenty of room for rigging.

Wow, Vol, thank you! You and Rory, among others here, have provided the inspiration for a lot of this. Your blogs and photos is where I started before I did anything else. Putting me in contact with Rob at Waterloo Minis really helped too. And I will be asking you about rigging.

Nightmoss
05-05-2013, 21:57
Very impressive work. I will do my first one this summer, and can only hope to be half as good. Well done. :hatsoff:

Thanks Eric. I will be anxious to see your Constitution when you get going this summer.

Berthier
05-06-2013, 04:46
Very nice work Jim, just the rigging to do now:erk: You've convinced me when I buy ships not to get them with guns deployed, I can see the added difficulty that would entail and I'm not ready yet.

Devsdoc
05-06-2013, 07:41
Jim,
Looking good! I'm so glad for you, but hate you too! :cry: She is looking GREAT. If the rigging is only 1/2 as good, You will have lovely ship.
Be safe
Rory

Nightmoss
05-06-2013, 08:11
Jim,
Looking good! I'm so glad for you, but hate you too! :cry: She is looking GREAT. If the rigging is only 1/2 as good, You will have lovely ship.
Be safe
Rory

Thanks Rory. Like I said above, your pictures, ships and encouragement really made this work. I just hope my rigging turns out half as good as yours and Vol's.

Devsdoc
05-06-2013, 18:48
Thanks Rory. Like I said above, your pictures, ships and encouragement really made this work. I just hope my rigging turns out half as good as yours and Vol's.

Jim,
When I look at my ships, I alway find fault with them. I know Vol does too! He likes my stuff, and I ask. WHY? I love his work, and he asks me WHY? When I look at my ships I see all the things you lot just don't see! I don't get it? I would like to think I know Vol now to see him as he sees me. Yes I like the OH's and AH's.
Tonigth played a 26 ship game plus the harbour. Matt who I played with said to all that came to look and oh and ah it." It is so nice to play in such a game, makes him feel good." and I won.:happy: (photos to come later). O.K.I will make a pack with you all. The day I am happy with my ships is the day I stop doing them. I think Vol may say the same. James who I know little about may think the same too, I don't know?
Jim, we all do not like our own work. End of! I look at your ship and go OH! and AH! So stop beating yourself up and get on with it so I can go Oh & AH. Please. :drinks: :salute:
Be safe
Rory

Nightmoss
05-06-2013, 19:58
Jim,
When I look at my ships, I alway find fault with them. I know Vol does too! He likes my stuff, and I ask. WHY? I love his work, and he asks me WHY? When I look at my ships I see all the things you lot just don't see! I don't get it? I would like to think I know Vol now to see him as he sees me. Yes I like the OH's and AH's.
Tonigth played a 26 ship game plus the harbour. Matt who I played with said to all that came to look and oh and ah it." It is so nice to play in such a game, makes him feel good." and I won.:happy: (photos to come later). O.K.I will make a pack with you all. The day I am happy with my ships is the day I stop doing them. I think Vol may say the same. James who I know little about may think the same too, I don't know?
Jim, we all do not like our own work. End of! I look at your ship and go OH! and AH! So stop beating yourself up and get on with it so I can go Oh & AH. Please. :drinks: :salute:
Be safe
Rory

Thanks Rory, I will. Too many chores today to make any progress. Tomorrow hopefully I can get back to the ship.

Now show us those pics of your game, especially your winning part!! 26 ships?! Sounds really cool and a lot of fun too!

Volunteer
05-07-2013, 00:35
Ditto what Rory said!

CHolgren
05-07-2013, 05:02
To any and all, feel free to send me any of your sub par work.:thumbsup:

Nightmoss
05-07-2013, 08:56
To any and all, feel free to send me any of your sub par work.:thumbsup:

Probably not, Cory. I really like Eric's idea of using the 'failures' as wrecks.

P.S. Hurry up and post two more messages so you hit Midshipman!! :)

CHolgren
05-07-2013, 10:06
Probably not, Cory. I really like Eric's idea of using the 'failures' as wrecks.

P.S. Hurry up and post two more messages so you hit Midshipman!! :)
OK, How's that?

Gunner
05-07-2013, 10:21
Congratulations:salute: Midshipman Cory.

Coog
05-07-2013, 12:14
Congratulations Cory on your promotion to Midshipman!

Devsdoc
05-07-2013, 12:37
Well do Cory,
I love the carrot bit by Jim.
Be safe
Rory

Nightmoss
05-07-2013, 16:42
LOL. That works! Congrats, Cory!

Nightmoss
05-07-2013, 19:24
So, I got all of two lines rigged today. Too much yard work, etc., but I did have time to paint the base using Wayne's technique from The Miniatures Page. I think it turned out nice, and being able to use any paint that's called "Scurvy Green" is a big bonus!! :happy:

Berthier
05-08-2013, 05:14
Well done on your promotion Cory :salute::rum:

7eat51
05-08-2013, 05:32
That's a nice looking base Jim. Is that your first attempt?

Sea Gull
05-08-2013, 05:39
I echo what Eric said. What a great looking base.

CHolgren
05-08-2013, 11:18
So, I got all of two lines rigged today. Too much yard work, etc., but I did have time to paint the base using Wayne's technique from The Miniatures Page. I think it turned out nice, and being able to use any paint that's called "Scurvy Green" is a big bonus!! :happy:

Looks great. Where is the miniature page your referring to? I've been trying to find vols page and have no idea where the link etc. Is hidden. Thanks

7eat51
05-08-2013, 11:38
Looks great. Where is the miniature page your referring to? I've been trying to find vols page and have no idea where the link etc. Is hidden. Thanks

Here's a blog of his - really great stuff:
http://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/

CHolgren
05-08-2013, 14:02
Here's a blog of his - really great stuff:
http://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/

Thanks Eric, I know I saw it once before, but for the life of me I couldn't find a link anywhere I looked.

Devsdoc
05-08-2013, 18:03
So, I got all of two lines rigged today. Too much yard work, etc.

O.K. Jim,
I'm English. Is this a joke = Rigging and yard work :happy: or is yard work what we Brits would call gardening, or slave labour set you by your partner. By the way your bases look good.
Be safe
Rory

Nightmoss
05-08-2013, 18:04
That's a nice looking base Jim. Is that your first attempt?

Thanks Eric and Chris. Yup, this was my first base painting exercise, which is made easier as it's a Langton sculpted one.

Oh, and I misspoke, Wayne's posts are off of the Maine Wargarming Forum: http://mainewargamershq.lefora.com/2010/04/12/11200-napoleonic-ships-wip/
He kept his dry brushing much lighter. I prefer seeing a bit more whitecaps. Btw, iirc this link was posted by Berthier quite some time ago, and I'm very happy I found it.

Cory, The Miniature Page is here, but there are sub forums just for us naval guys. http://theminiaturespage.com/
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/topics.mv?id=134

Nightmoss
05-08-2013, 18:11
O.K. Jim,
I'm English. Is this a joke = Rigging and yard work :happy: or is yard work what we Brits would call gardening, or slave labour set you by your partner. By the way your bases look good.
Be safe
Rory

lol. Rory, I just now realized what I said. That is funny! Yes, yard work here in the US usually means, cutting the grass, weeding, trimming hedges, etc. I think we're crazy. We fertilize the grass so it grows faster and then we have to cut it more often.

So, no I don't have three large masts in the backyard that I was working on instead of the Montanes. :happy:

But it's supposed to rain tomorrow so I can spend all day working on the rigging, hopefully.

P.S. Vol posts on TMP too: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=302590 Not sure about Rory and anyone else from here?

Coog
05-08-2013, 19:43
O.K. Jim,
I'm English. Is this a joke = Rigging and yard work :happy: or is yard work what we Brits would call gardening, or slave labour set you by your partner.

lol. Rory, I just now realized what I said. That is funny! Yes, yard work here in the US usually means, cutting the grass, weeding, trimming hedges, etc. I think we're crazy. We fertilize the grass so it grows faster and then we have to cut it more often.

Or getting on the tractor and cutting the grass and do a little trimming with the chainsaw.:happy:

Volunteer
05-08-2013, 22:42
Or mending fences, spreading gravel, puting up deer fencing to protect the garden, etc.:dazed:

Nightmoss
05-09-2013, 09:35
Ayup. Spent most of yesterday helping out at my Mom's place. She had a 'list', so it was another day where I didn't get much quality ship building time, but it was quality time with her. Maybe later today. . . ?

Devsdoc
05-09-2013, 19:34
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the new Thread. The report is done with photos and on your new thread. Hope you enjoy it!
Be safe
Rory

Nightmoss
05-09-2013, 21:52
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the new Thread. The report is done with photos and on your new thread. Hope you enjoy it!
Be safe
Rory

Nice! I'm going to check it our right now.

Nightmoss
05-10-2013, 14:39
I finished most of the rigging this afternoon. All I have left is mounting the flag and pennant. I learned a great deal via this first time effort, and I plan on doing things differently next time around. Between painting and rigging I'll definitely take painting any day; rigging is tedious and frustrating at times. And I now have a crick in my neck that's killing me. :hmmm: Take many breaks. I made many mistakes, but you're not going to notice them unless you get right up close, which is good. Only one picture at the moment, but I'll take more when I get the ship on the base.

7eat51
05-10-2013, 15:36
Well done Jim. Hard to believe its your first. Really well done. :hatsoff:

Gunner
05-10-2013, 15:46
Job well done Jim. I'd be proud to game with that ship against anyone.

Cmmdre
05-10-2013, 16:49
You've got the touch. Looks superb Jim. :thumbsup:

Devsdoc
05-10-2013, 16:57
Jim,
I can only say OH! and AH! :salute:
Be safe, Master Shipwright
Rory

Nightmoss
05-10-2013, 19:09
Thanks All! You guys are great.

CHolgren
05-10-2013, 19:22
Wow Jim, that is fantastic! You've really got the touch.

Berthier
05-10-2013, 21:54
Fine work Jim, well done.

Volunteer
05-11-2013, 00:12
Ok, excellent job Jim on the paint job and standing rigging. Are you going to stop there? What about the running rigging?. I know you can do it, and judging from what you have done so far, better than the rest of us!

Regards,
Vol

Devsdoc
05-11-2013, 04:57
Ok, excellent job Jim on the paint job and standing rigging. Are you going to stop there? What about the running rigging?. I know you can do it, and judging from what you have done so far, better than the rest of us!
Regards,
Vol

Jim,
Do not think bad thoughs about Vol. He is a hard Master, but he is right. From what I've seen you can do it. You have jumped so many walls with this ship. Why stop at the last one? You have a lovely ship, your frist! the rest will be better (BETTER THAN MINE). In the back of your mind' you will thinking can I, Would I. I will tell you, Vol and I did the last jump and you like our work! Come on! the grass is greener on this side of the wall. I think we will be asking you, how do you do it! It may go all wrong. But it will always look good, it could look better for you, not us! GO ON GAVE IT A GO!
Be safe
Rory

Nightmoss
05-11-2013, 09:03
Vol, Rory. I will think about trying the running rigging. I haven't even read that part of the Langton book, although I did buy some buff colored thread if I decide to give it a go. As always, thanks for the word of encouragement. :salute:

Nightmoss
05-11-2013, 15:04
OK, so I might not be done, if I decide to do the running rigging, but for the moment here's the current state of the Montanes. Again, I've copied Wayne from the MaineWargamers Forum in creating a base and nameplate version that really appeals to me. What do you think? Also, just for fun I included a picture of the Montanes with the Paris; one of the Leviathan game minis I repainted. The flying dreadnaught is actually at 1/1200 scale and in this fictional universe time scale placed around 1910. And the last pic, is my next project.:wink:

Coog
05-11-2013, 15:07
She turned out beautiful. Great work!

7eat51
05-11-2013, 15:08
If you're going to have a nameplate, I think what you did looks good. The lettering and flag are well done. What did you print them on? Simple paper?

Looking forward to seeing your next project.

Nightmoss
05-11-2013, 15:29
If you're going to have a nameplate, I think what you did looks good. The lettering and flag are well done. What did you print them on? Simple paper?

Looking forward to seeing your next project.

Eric, yes I used MS Publisher and printed it on a slightly heavier paper. I then used a pocket laminating kit to seal the plate and mounted the sticker on a flexible magnet (like the bumper sticker stuff). I can switch nameplates if I decide to have it be another in that class; Neptuno, Monarca or Argonauta. And there are 3 rare earth magnets in the base to hold it in place once I build the case I want to carry these ships in. Thanks!

csadn
05-11-2013, 15:55
Thanks All! You guys are great.

Sidebar question: What's your avatar?

Nightmoss
05-11-2013, 18:22
Sidebar question: What's your avatar?

It's another repaint from the Leviathans game. The American "Great White Fleet" isn't due out for months (if not years), so I took a Paris Class ship and did it up in the US parade scheme, including some Frou Frou made from costume jewelry. Synthetics to simulate clouds and a blue background from a model railroad backboard. Oh, and these ships are all plastic with basic prepainting done on all classes.

Green flash
05-12-2013, 08:40
Looks great,:thumbsup:

csadn
05-12-2013, 20:04
It's another repaint from the Leviathans game. The American "Great White Fleet" isn't due out for months (if not years), so I took a Paris Class ship and did it up in the US parade scheme, including some Frou Frou made from costume jewelry. Synthetics to simulate clouds and a blue background from a model railroad backboard. Oh, and these ships are all plastic with basic prepainting done on all classes.

That's what I thought, but the avatar pic's so small it's difficult to see details.

(Considered getting this; but then saw how much bespoke stuff it entailed, and gave it a miss. I'm still hoping someone will do reprints of the _Space:1889_ ship minis.)

Nightmoss
05-18-2013, 18:46
Received some excellent nylon thread yesterday so I went ahead and did the running rigging on the Montanes. For whatever reason this rigging seemed easier for me than the standing rigging? I suspect it might be the thread I used, which generally was much easier to work with. While I got this brand through Amazon I'm sure you can pick it up locally or through other vendors. I did not use the waxed variety. Here's the link if you'd like to see the product:

http://www.fishusa.com/Uni-Thread-6-0_p.html

So, here are four views of the finished ship. Now it's on to the Spanish 112 gunner. :happy:

Volunteer
05-18-2013, 21:34
Very nice Jim and unlike me, you did the mizzen rigging correctly. Beautiful ship!

Nightmoss
05-18-2013, 21:53
Very nice Jim and unlike me, you did the mizzen rigging correctly. Beautiful ship!

Thanks Vol! I must have read that part of the Langton book five or six times before I got it right in my head.

Volunteer
05-18-2013, 22:22
Now that my extremely generous shipmate Rory has gifted me a copy of Rod's book, maybe I'll get it right now!

Gunner
05-18-2013, 23:36
Super rigging job Jim. The first time I tried it, I had a headache for two days.
And thanks for the "fishusa.com" heads up.

Nightmoss
05-19-2013, 06:37
Now that my extremely generous shipmate Rory has gifted me a copy of Rod's book, maybe I'll get it right now!

Excellent!!

Nightmoss
05-19-2013, 06:38
Super rigging job Jim. The first time I tried it, I had a headache for two days.
And thanks for the "fishusa.com" heads up.

These folks also sell via Amazon if you should prefer to go that route. Order arrived very quickly and saved me the trouble of trying to find a local fly tackle shop that might have carried the colors I needed.

Volunteer
05-19-2013, 10:09
Jim, thanks for the tip on the thread and web site. I just ordered $21 worth. Unfortunately all of their black is out of stock, so for the standing rigging I guess I'll just have to stick with my waxed standard.

Nightmoss
05-19-2013, 11:29
Try these folks via Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Uni-Thread-Size-Color-Black-001/dp/B000BPBFU8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368984396&sr=8-2&keywords=uni+thread

(I hope I'm not violating any forum rules by posting this link?)

Jim

Devsdoc
05-19-2013, 15:34
Hi Jim,
Just seen your photos and my hair fell out! She is so good. I think you may have a porblem? This is your first ship! The next ones can only get better (O.K. the odd one may go off a little). When you put your Spanish ships by your SOG ships. You young man will have a little porblem! A lovely porblem,but a porblem.

Hi Vol,
In my eyes your ships make me work harder on mine. If you do better work, so must I. I must flag and pennant my ships.

Hi Ed,
Could you let us see some of your ships?
Be safe
Rory

CHolgren
05-20-2013, 07:21
Try these folks via Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Uni-Thread-Size-Color-Black-001/dp/B000BPBFU8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368984396&sr=8-2&keywords=uni+thread

(I hope I'm not violating any forum rules by posting this link?)

Jim
Glad to know I won't need to purchase more items to start this hobby. I've got fly tying thread coming out the Wazoo, in just about every color. You can get this from any fly shop, cabelas, bass pro shop etc.

Nightmoss
05-20-2013, 09:02
Hi Jim,
Just seen your photos and my hair fell out! She is so good. I think you may have a porblem? This is your first ship! The next ones can only get better (O.K. the odd one may go off a little). When you put your Spanish ships by your SOG ships. You young man will have a little porblem! A lovely porblem,but a porblem.

Hi Vol,
In my eyes your ships make me work harder on mine. If you do better work, so must I. I must flag and pennant my ships.

Hi Ed,
Be safe
Rory

Thanks Rory. I'm hoping the ones to follow look a little better, but also go together a little faster now that I know a bit more about what I'm doing. I'll be anxious to get my hands of some of the SoG ships to see how they might be enhanced, but I seriously doubt they'll ever look as good as the Langton minis.

P.S. What's this I hear about your Swiss navy? Hope we can see some pics when you get the chance? :wink:

Devsdoc
05-20-2013, 11:51
Thanks Rory.

P.S. What's this I hear about your Swiss navy? Hope we can see some pics when you get the chance? :wink:

Hi Jim,
Kick a man when he's down, you rat.:dazed:
Be safe
Rory :happy:

Gunner
05-20-2013, 12:27
Hi Jim,

Hi Vol,

Hi Ed,
Be safe
Rory

In my move Arizona, my ship box was dropped upside down. As I repair them (if I live long enough) I'll post pictures as they're finished. This is the second time this happened to me.
And yes they were mounted on magnets. Didn't help.

Nightmoss
05-20-2013, 18:33
In my move Arizona, my ship box was dropped upside down. As I repair them (if I live long enough) I'll post pictures as they're finished. This is the second time this happened to me.

That would be a heart breaker!! Please do post photos when you get the chance.

Nightmoss
05-20-2013, 18:36
Hi Jim,
Kick a man when he's down, you rat.:dazed:
Be safe
Rory :happy:

Just kidding you, Rory. :happy:

I'm looking forward to seeing how your various national fleets expand over the next few months.

And thanks, by the way, for the compliments on the rigging of the Montanes.

Cheers!

Devsdoc
05-20-2013, 19:45

Oh! Ed,
The thought, I close my eyes and see it! I'm so sorry for you. But it happen in history too! On the 7 Nov 1824 the Russian Baltic Fleet 22 out of 28 SOL and 15 of19 frigates were destroyed by a flood. When a ice dam broke. The flood was 7 1/2 feet high and killed hundreds of the crews. The whole fleed was written off by 1829. The formerly powerful Baltic fleet was a Shambles.
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
05-20-2013, 21:28
Oh! Ed,
The thought, I close my eyes and see it! I'm so sorry for you. But it happen in history too! On the 7 Nov 1824 the Russian Baltic Fleet 22 out of 28 SOL and 15 of19 frigates were destroyed by a flood. When a ice dam broke. The flood was 7 1/2 feet high and killed hundreds of the crews. The whole fleed was written off by 1829. The formerly powerful Baltic fleet was a Shambles.
Be safe
Rory

How apropos. Eight of the ships are Russian.

Capt P
05-22-2013, 14:58
Jim that is outstanding work. I don't know how you guys do such great paint jobs.

Volunteer
05-24-2013, 23:05

Gosh Ed, I'm really sorry to hear that. But look on the bright side, it took me almost two weeks to create just three wrecks. You were able to do several in just a minute or two. :):salute:

Gunner
05-24-2013, 23:28
Several?? Try 26.

Whitejamest
05-25-2013, 10:55
Gunner, you describe my nightmare!

csadn
05-25-2013, 16:41

You should have been at Game Storm in Vancouver, WA, this year -- some genius thought it would be a Good Idea to put the Giant Jenga Set, right across from the door to the Miniatures Bay.

HAVE YOU SEEN HOW THE TYPICAL MINIS GAMER RESPONDS TO A VERY LOUD CRASH!? Now imagine that happening at completely random intervals throughout the day. By the end of the day, most of the people in the minis bay were nervous wrecks....

Gunner
05-25-2013, 17:45

I'll bite my tongue and work on them one at a time. The good news is the hulls are good on all of them. that's the end of the good news.

Devsdoc
05-25-2013, 17:53
I'll bite my tongue and work on them one at a time. The good news is the hulls are good on all of them. that's the end of the good news.

Hi Ed,
Vol has a great blog site for making masts. You may find it helpful or take to him. He is the best
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
05-25-2013, 18:14
Thanks Rory, but I'm going to try and save all of them.

Devsdoc
05-25-2013, 19:44
Ed,
My thougths are with you at each mast and ship. Shipmate.
Be safe
Rory

Volunteer
05-27-2013, 22:46
Ed, did this happen recently? Was this after you sent me all of those ships? I can send you some of the masts and sails from them if you can use them to replace broken ones.

Gunner
05-27-2013, 23:08
I have extra masts and sails. It's allotting time for the repairs not to mention getting in the mood that's the problem.
But I appreciate the offer. Thanks.

Volunteer
05-27-2013, 23:31
Anytime Ed.