PDA

View Full Version : Rorys Kildyuin 32 gun Russian frigate

Devsdoc
04-26-2013, 15:49
She was one of 11 standard frigate. Launched 19-5-1798 as a flute. made into a frigate 1803. Armament 24 x 24pdrs, 8x 6pdrs. serviced into Med (Corfu) and Adriatic. Interred in the Tagus by the British in 1807. shipped to Portsmouth 19-10-1808 and sold in 1813. She is Langtons 32 gun Russian frigate. Hope you all like her.

The 100 gun Gavriil is in the lates two photos to show size.

csadn
04-26-2013, 16:04
Is it me, or does the frigate look a bit "bob-tailed"?

Devsdoc
04-26-2013, 16:33
Is it me, or does the frigate look a bit "bob-tailed"?

Chris,
I do not understand you? :question:
I must say sorry fo my bad Russian I misspelled her name. It should read "kilOyuin:embarass:
Be safe
Rory

7eat51
04-26-2013, 16:37
Beautiful work. The background makes it look so idyllic. Well done Rory. :thumbsup:

I like the last two photos. Really gives perspective on size. Some of the daily events that have SoL and frigates engaging make more sense when you see something like this.

Whitejamest
04-26-2013, 16:41
Really lovely work Rory, and I agree with Eric about the effect of the excellent scenery.

I wonder if by "bobtailed" Chris means that the mizzen and main mast of the frigate seem to him like they are too close together, or that the mizzen is too close to the stern? I was checking my GHQ 32 gun frigate, and the placement seems just the same as your Langton, for what that's worth.

- James

Devsdoc
04-26-2013, 17:17
I wonder if by "bobtailed" Chris means that the mizzen and main mast of the frigate seem to him like they are too close together, or that the mizzen is too close to the stern? I was checking my GHQ 32 gun frigate, and the placement seems just the same as your Langton, for what that's worth.

- James

Thanks for the "Bob-tailed" infor. I just put the mast in the hole. Around 6 months ago I did an old navwar small frigate. I painted and glued her together, but I could not rig her as the main and mizzen masts were so close I had no space to rig her. The mizzen sails touched the fighting tops of the main mast. I was not a happy bunny! I thank you too James for making me work harder. I love your Dutch War ships. I saw your post about the rigging of Vols ships. Seeing the Russians above, do still think the lines of the mizzen mast rigging looks (wrong) O.K. wrong word. I hope you understand what I'm asking you!
Be safe
Rory

Nightmoss
04-26-2013, 17:20
Fantastic ship(s). The scenery and natural light really adds to the sense of depth in the photos. Thank you for posting!

Coog
04-26-2013, 17:37
Great work on the ships and the terrain!

Berthier
04-26-2013, 22:30
Very nice ships and basing with the white dry brushing. Rigging of the SOL is beautiful!

Volunteer
04-27-2013, 00:42
Very nice Rory. You are firing me up to start a Russian fleet. The ships look really good with the background of your shore terrain. I have just one unbuilt Langton Russian ship as yet, but will be buying more before Rod can retire. I want to try his in-shore Baltic ships too.

Regards,
Vol

HMS Lydia
04-27-2013, 09:07
Man! The 1st Rate 3 decker really puts the frigate in perspective. Nice work Rory!

Cmmdre
04-27-2013, 12:20
Thank you for posting these inspirational images Rory. Keep up the great work. :thumbsup:

csadn
04-27-2013, 17:33
I do not understand you?

"No one gets me -- I'm the wind, baby." [Tom Servo] :)

By "bobtailed", I mean: Compared to most other frigate designs I've seen, it appears to have noticeably less deck length aft of the mizzenmast.

Devsdoc
04-27-2013, 17:49
Sorry Chris,
I have learnt something new. I have not heard of Bobtailed before. By the way, I like the new you :happy:
Be safe
Rory

Devsdoc
04-27-2013, 17:59
Very nice Rory. You are firing me up to start a Russian fleet. The ships look really good with the background of your shore terrain. I have just one unbuilt Langton Russian ship as yet, but will be buying more before Rod can retire. I want to try his in-shore Baltic ships too.

Regards,
Vol

Vol,
I know! But I must be strong. First finish the Russian High sea fleet. Then the Swedish H.S.F. before I start the in-shore stuff. So Vol stop making me think in-shore. And they are cheaper, but have brass sails.
Be safe
Rory

Volunteer
04-27-2013, 18:57
Vol,
I know! But I must be strong. First finish the Russian High sea fleet. Then the Swedish H.S.F. before I start the in-shore stuff. So Vol stop making me think in-shore. And they are cheaper, but have brass sails.
Be safe
Rory

I just seem to be stockpiling ships for slow rainy days. Have to get them before Rod is gone!

Devsdoc
04-27-2013, 19:48
I just seem to be stockpiling ships for slow rainy days. Have to get them before Rod is gone!

Hi Vol,
I do not think he is going just yet! If his wife said he will go on, he will go on! Not one of us would go against our better halfs and win :salute: I think we all have time to buy his great ships and things.
Be safe
Rory

P.S. we could use Ares ships :wink:

7eat51
04-27-2013, 20:58
As usual, just about the time I get into some mini line, they stop production. Is there an end date in mind for the Langtons?

Volunteer
04-28-2013, 00:25
Hi Vol,
I do not think he is going just yet! If his wife said he will go on, he will go on! Not one of us would go against our better halfs and win :salute: I think we all have time to buy his great ships and things.
Be safe
Rory

P.S. we could use Ares ships :wink:

You are joking Rory. Ares doesn't even come close to Langton. They aren't even on the same page. People are talking about using shrouds and ratlines specifically to hide the ugly plastic bit connecting the sails to the masts. How can they even be compared to ships like Rod produces?

David Manley
04-28-2013, 03:23
As usual, just about the time I get into some mini line, they stop production. Is there an end date in mind for the Langtons?

None at all. I strongly suspect that when Rod decides to hang up his hat there will be many who will want to take on his range and continue (and expand) production.

Devsdoc
04-28-2013, 04:16
You are joking Rory. Ares doesn't even come close to Langton. They aren't even on the same page. People are talking about using shrouds and ratlines specifically to hide the ugly plastic bit connecting the sails to the masts. How can they even be compared to ships like Rod produces?

Vol,
LOOK AT THE SMILEY FACE closely! :wink:
Be safe
Rory

None at all. I strongly suspect that when Rod decides to hang up his hat there will be many who will want to take on his range and continue (and expand) production.

Thank you David,
I cannot see him stopping just yet
Be safe
Rory

Volunteer
04-28-2013, 09:42
Vol,
LOOK AT THE SMILEY FACE closely! :wink:
Be safe
Rory

I knew you were joking, that's why I said "You are joking Rory."

Vol,
Thank you David,
I cannot see him stopping just yet
Be safe
Rory

Rory, didn't you tell me Rod's wife told you they didn't think anyone would pay them what they felt the business was worth? If that is true then there may not be that many that would be willing to pay to take on his line, or maintain it to Rod's standard.

Devsdoc
04-28-2013, 10:10
I knew you were joking, that's why I said "You are joking Rory."

Rory, didn't you tell me Rod's wife told you they didn't think anyone would pay them what they felt the business was worth? If that is true then there may not be that many that would be willing to pay to take on his line, or maintain it to Rod's standard.

Thanks be to God. I would have shot myself if you thought I meant it.

I can only hope he goes on or gets help for the manual bits. I do not know. But lets not write him off just yet! I think if they were going to stop Langtons they will say, On his web site and let us know. If they were going to sell, They (As I would) would say not a thing, or say all is O.K.. Lets just wait and see.
Be safe
Rory

Coog
04-28-2013, 11:04
I'm wondering how much longer metal miniatures will be around. You are now seeing more and more different kinds of very detailed, less costly, plastic or other non-metal miniatures. Reaper is making a major breakthrough with its "Bones" collection of fantasy figures, you can find almost anything historical in 1/72 scale, and the range of 28mm plastic figures is increasing every year. I haven't seen much in plastic for ships and the ones I have seen, such as Panzerschiffe models, are not near as detailed. Ares is breaking new ground with their ships but they are bit pricey compared to the metal kits on the market. Of course their big advantage is that they are already painted and assembled. With cost considerations and government regulations on metals, we may be seeing the end of metal miniatues in the future.

Devsdoc
04-28-2013, 11:52
I'm wondering how much longer metal miniatures will be around. You are now seeing more and more different kinds of very detailed, less costly, plastic or other non-metal miniatures. Reaper is making a major breakthrough with its "Bones" collection of fantasy figures, you can find almost anything historical in 1/72 scale, and the range of 28mm plastic figures is increasing every year. I haven't seen much in plastic for ships and the ones I have seen, such as Panzerschiffe models, are not near as detailed. Ares is breaking new ground with their ships but they are bit pricey compared to the metal kits on the market. Of course their big advantage is that they are already painted and assembled. With cost considerations and government regulations on metals, we may be seeing the end of metal miniatues in the future.

Bobby,
I think you are right. A lot of Langton Buildings are made of resin as to are his Napoleonic ratred ships bases. I think it will not be long before someones ships will be made of resin in 1-1200. I do not like the sails and mast (or scale) made by Ares, but look at GW models. The look of Ares ships is let down by the fact the ships are pre-built. If the Ares ships came in parts they would make them look better but stop a lot of gamers useing them.
Be safe
Rory

csadn
04-28-2013, 14:36
I'm wondering how much longer metal miniatures will be around.

I've been telling people this since the late '90s. As usual, I was laughed at, and mocked.

One of my favorite mythical figures is Cassandra -- There Is A Reason For This.

7eat51
04-28-2013, 17:06
I am glad for the optimism on Langtons. I do not want to start another defunct miniature collection, and knowing the degree of respect held here for these ships, I would hate to see the modeling community lose them.

Bobby, you might be right concerning metal minis, especially concerning government regulation. Unfortunately, nothing will stop governments from doing the same with plastics, and as demand increases for plastics, price might increase as well.

Coog
04-28-2013, 17:51
Bobby, you might be right concerning metal minis, especially concerning government regulation. Unfortunately, nothing will stop governments from doing the same with plastics, and as demand increases for plastics, price might increase as well.

I don't think there will be the same problem with plastics. Metals are considered to have dangerous contaminates and the price of metal keeps going up. The problem with plastics has always been that the equipment used in injection molding was far more costly than that for metal casting. I would guess that technological advances and equipment costs getting lower has made plastic molding profitable. Also I've noticed that there are a lot of foreign manufactures, with cheaper labor, getting into the business and they are really turning out some quality stuff.

7eat51
04-28-2013, 19:00
I don't think there will be the same problem with plastics. Metals are considered to have dangerous contaminates

This assumes that governmental regulation makes sense. Note, I am not for a complete lack of regulation, but from what I have seen take place in the U.S. over the past few years encourages me to believe that nothing is beyond the scope of governmental involvement, and with that involvement, comes higher prices. All it takes is for one bureaucrat to deem plastic unsafe, and … If regulation has impacted the use of metal in minis, and, personally, I have no idea if it has, then I would not assume it couldn't impact the use of plastic.

As for molding, I have a growing appreciation for what has taken place in terms of quality and detail. It is pretty impressive.

Sea Gull
04-29-2013, 05:05
It's the job of all governments to make the people pay more for the things they enjoy, be it beer, tobacco or metal minis. :hmmm:

Green flash
04-29-2013, 05:27
Nice work Rory:thumbsup:

Beowulf03809
04-29-2013, 08:56
They're looking great.

CHolgren
05-02-2013, 16:07
Great job Rory.

On another note Spartans "Dystopian Wars" make nicely detailed 1:1200 ships. Granted they're not sailing vessels, but there is a great amount of detail on their ships, so resin may not be far in the future.

Devsdoc
05-02-2013, 17:04
Oh Cory,
You HARD HARD man! "Dystopian Wars" is the one and only games to past me by with a tear in my eye. I have been lucky to have played number of times. I did not like the land game, but the naval part of the game I LOVE. U.S. fleet for me. I had it all planned. But life, work and Langtons got in the way. The resin ships of this game was my thinking in posting #25, but talking about "Action under Sail" ships only. I'm so sorry, but as on now I HATE YOU! :salute: :drinks:
Be safe
Rory

CHolgren
05-02-2013, 18:12
Well Rory I disagree. EotBS with their long range rockets are a game changer. I haven't played the ground portion, but my kids and I have a lot of fun with the KoB and EotBS starters. If it's any consolation DW is my only naval mini game:please:

Devsdoc
05-02-2013, 18:37
Look Cory,
I'm not talking to you, or your children now!
Be safe
Rory

David Manley
05-02-2013, 22:57
so resin may not be far in the future.

Finecast, anyone? :)