PDA

View Full Version : Anzac Day 25th April

Berthier
04-24-2013, 22:50
Anzac Day for those of you who are unaware is an extremely important day in Australian - NZ history as it remembers the disaster of the 1915 naval landing in Gallipoli. The campaign that followed saw 10000 Australian and New Zealanders fall (amongst 24000 Allies and 40000+ Turkish soldiers) many of them dismounted cavalry, boys from farms and towns scattered across rural Australia. Clinging to a thin strip of cliff face for an 8 month battle that achieved little apart from its' lasting impact on the Antipodean psyche.

The effect of the battle and the losses to come on the Western Front forever changed the country and the people, there is not a town in the countryside without a cenotaph. When they speak of sacrifice or bravery, for us that means the "Anzac Spirit"

Lest We Forget.

:salute:

Coog
04-24-2013, 23:00
To the Anzacs!:salute:

7eat51
04-24-2013, 23:06
Blessings on your day Daniel. :salute:

Blas de Lezo
04-25-2013, 06:54
I went to Istanbul and visit Gallipoli this February and read what Ataturk said
"Those heroes that shed their blood
And lost their lives.
You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country.
Therefore rest in peace.
There is no difference between the Johnnies
And the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side
Here in this country of ours.
You, the mothers,
Who sent their sons from far away countries
Wipe away your tears,
Your sons are now lying in our bosom
And are in peace
After having lost their lives on this land they have
Become our sons as well."

:salute:

Berthier
04-25-2013, 07:36
Thank you for posting that, Ataturk and his attitude are what draws thousands of young pilgrims to Gallipoli every year. A fitting epitaph to all.

Blas de Lezo
04-25-2013, 14:21
I made this in 2008.
If you ever go to Istanbul is a travel that must be done, is a sad experience but a historical place.

Coog
04-25-2013, 14:45
Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

Blas de Lezo
04-25-2013, 15:13
I’m glad to share :)

I’ve went to the memorial I really feel the lonely and a little sad, too many lives were lost there and is a tragedy that I’m really glad that the Australians and New Zealanders aren’t going to forget it.

The odder place I feel the same was in the graveyard near Normandy.

7eat51
04-25-2013, 15:41
I have heard of similar experiences with folks who have visited Gettysburg.

One of the most difficult traveling experiences I have had was visiting a slave castle on our first trip to Ghana. I wasn't prepared for the emotions I felt.

Thank you for the pictures and the words, Alberto.

Berthier
04-25-2013, 23:22
I’m glad to share :)

I’ve went to the memorial I really feel the lonely and a little sad, too many lives were lost there and is a tragedy that I’m really glad that the Australians and New Zealanders aren’t going to forget it.

The odder place I feel the same was in the graveyard near Normandy.

I've visited the Normandy, Verdun, Ypres and Villiers-Bretonneux grave yards and they are all profoundly moving. The WW1 sites are particularly disturbing as the rows of white crosses sweep across the fields in regimented order as far as the eye can see set amongst manicured and peaceful grounds. The incongruity of this in contrast to the horror and waste that lies beneath is very unsettling at least to me.