PDA

View Full Version : The problem with medals

Gunner
04-24-2013, 14:26
It seems like people are flooding the site with anything that will get them a higher rating or a medal of some sort.
When some new members sign up they send welcome to the site messages to everyone that came before them:question: That wasn't so bad when we didn't have so many members. But if new members send "welcome to the Anchorage" messages to everyone, that really junks up everyones in baskets. It's one thing to talk about your interests, but another, just to add numbers for a medal.
Maybe I'm just getting cranky as I get older. And if I'm wrong, I apologize and will learn to "suck it up".

Tommy Z
04-24-2013, 14:40
I saw that as well. There was one in particular that seemed to really spam the inbox. I don't mind welcomes, that is what makes these sites special. The retro-active welcomes on the other hand seem a little abusive.... :hmmm:

I may be a grumpy old guy as well :erk:

Gunner
04-24-2013, 14:57
I saw that as well. There was one in particular that seemed to really spam the inbox. I don't mind welcomes, that is what makes these sites special. The retro-active welcomes on the other hand seem a little abusive.... :hmmm:

I may be a grumpy old guy as well :erk:

Hi Tom
I hope I didn't offend anyone (too much) but it happened a few times before and I hate to see it get out of hand.
Yes medals are a good idea to promote site interest and a way for the Admiralty to recognize the good work that so many members do for the site, including greeting new members to make them feel a part of the crew.

The J
04-24-2013, 22:09
It seems like people are flooding the site with anything that will get them a higher rating or a medal of some sort.
When some new members sign up they send welcome to the site messages to everyone that came before them:question: That wasn't so bad when we didn't have so many members. But if new members send "welcome to the Anchorage" messages to everyone, that really junks up everyones in baskets. It's one thing to talk about your interests, but another, just to add numbers for a medal.
Maybe I'm just getting cranky as I get older. And if I'm wrong, I apologize and will learn to "suck it up".

While I agree that chasing medals might seem like a bad thing (not even sure how to get medals myself, but won't turn one down if I get it serendipitously, and have definitely applied for my KS medal following the email). But, as you have a "Founding Member" medal and must have had some discussion about Medals and their purpose, I ask you:

Wouldn't the purpose of a medal to be to encourage participation, hoping that participation leads to more involvement and even a habit of checking this sight to see what is going on? I would think the medals are serving their purpose. Sure some will game the system (we are all gamers after all) but if they stick around because they have earned a chest full of medals, isn't that a good thing?

Now, if medals are as you said, just to recognize contributions then gaming it is a bad thing.

So are you sure the purpose was only recognition and not encouragement?

EDIT: Well, I have gone and perused the available medals. And, as with all medals, they seem to be designed to both recognize and encourage behaviors. Nothing wrong with that.

Cmmdre
04-24-2013, 22:20
I am the offending member. I apologize for being abusive in my wanting to be part of something special.

Berthier
04-24-2013, 22:37
Paul I dont think they were referring to you, I had about 15 in the inbox this morning, I just delete them. Perhaps the way around it is to not have the new members forum subscriable except to the new member and his posting alone. So a new member can see all welcomes to his own box, but others would have to go to the forum to see them.

Gunner
04-24-2013, 22:50
No Paul, it wasn't aimed at you. It was ment as a reminder for some to be considerate of other peoples mail boxes.

Gunner
04-24-2013, 22:54
I guess you missed this one J.

"I hope I didn't offend anyone (too much) but it happened a few times before and I hate to see it get out of hand.
Yes medals are a good idea to promote site interest and a way for the Admiralty to recognize the good work that so many members do for the site, including greeting new members to make them feel a part of the crew."

While I agree that chasing medals might seem like a bad thing (not even sure how to get medals myself, but won't turn one down if I get it serendipitously, and have definitely applied for my KS medal following the email). But, as you have a "Founding Member" medal and must have had some discussion about Medals and their purpose, I ask you:

Wouldn't the purpose of a medal to be to encourage participation, hoping that participation leads to more involvement and even a habit of checking this sight to see what is going on? I would think the medals are serving their purpose. Sure some will game the system (we are all gamers after all) but if they stick around because they have earned a chest full of medals, isn't that a good thing?

Now, if medals are as you said, just to recognize contributions then gaming it is a bad thing.

So are you sure the purpose was only recognition and not encouragement?

EDIT: Well, I have gone and perused the available medals. And, as with all medals, they seem to be designed to both recognize and encourage behaviors. Nothing wrong with that.

The J
04-25-2013, 07:32
No, that is actually what spurred my interest in the original purpose as stated by the site designers. As I stated, any medal can be interpreted as encouraging behavior and rewarding. And, in light of your concern about it "getting out of hand" I was simply trying to open a dialogue about your concerns and what "out of hand" might mean in a larger sense. But, as I said, I'm not familiar with the site enough to fully understand your concern. It seems to be inboxes filling up, so I assume that means you have the setting set to email you responses in threads to which you are subscribed.

You have a concern about what medals are accomplishing or encouraging as the site grows in size. This, too my limited experience, seems a valid discussion. To me there is two parts to the growth of this site. The original construction and development (of which, noted by your medal, you were a part) and now, when it has grown because of the KS campaign and the imminent launch. To ensure a healthy growth and a strong community requires thought and discussion.

Of course there will always be posts of people just wanting to get a quick rant in, and that's all good as well, but it's not always easy to tell which post is which.

The Barrelman
04-25-2013, 12:46
My very constructive and thought provoking opinion...

"Give me my shiny!!!" :happy:

Edit: So maybe the default behavior should be to not auto-enable subscribe to threads. That was the first thing I changed after creating my account.

Gunner
04-25-2013, 15:16
My very constructive and thought provoking opinion...

"Give me my shiny!!!" :happy:

Edit: So maybe the default behavior should be to not auto-enable subscribe to threads. That was the first thing I changed after creating my account.

Thanks for the advise, but I leave mine on because it's like the news. I like to hear opinions now.

7eat51
04-25-2013, 15:32
I leave mine on because it's like the news. I like to hear opinions now.

I find myself gravitating to the Anchorage and Aerodrome every time I have a break from work, etc. I am starting to feel like Norm from Cheers.

Gunner
04-25-2013, 17:33
I find myself gravitating to the Anchorage and Aerodrome every time I have a break from work, etc. I am starting to feel like Norm from Cheers.

Ha,ha,ha. Now you made me thursty. Think I'll shut down for an hour or so and hoist a few.

Berthier
04-25-2013, 23:28

"Where everyone knows your name"..:happy::rum:

HMS Lydia
04-26-2013, 10:38
This is a forum, so it almost surprises me that anyone truly cares about the rank or medals. The discussion is what is important. The only medal that does seem important is the kickstarter, and maybe I'm being stupid on this account, but that tells others how far you are into the game from the beginning.

Obviously though someone could have been a Mate on the kickstarter, and then turn around and a year later, be 10 times further into the game then some one who was a Captain on the KS. This is one of those games, that will keep sucking you in for more sales and purchases, for many years to come.

But seriously, and perhaps I'm in the minority here, I don't need encouragement or recognition for something I do because I love to do it.

7eat51
04-26-2013, 13:00
I think the purpose was more to foster community and say thank you for contributions than something to be pursued. Given that this is a virtual community, one of the ways to recognize the contributions each makes to the game and community is through virtual medals. I think by the logic of the KS medal, the same would apply to those who received medals for being founding members of the site. A similar argument could be made for the others as to how much time and effort has been invested in the site. I think Ed's comment, and I realize I could be wrong, had to do with quality over quantity, and not an indictment of medals per se.

Speaking personally, I have been encouraged by others' contributions to contribute what I can. Sometimes my knowledge of their contributions comes through their medals, sometimes through their informative and helpful posts or threads. From my time on the Aerodrome, the two seem positively correlated. I am sure as the Anchorage develops with the game release, the same will be true here. Basically, do the right things for the right reason, and the rest will take care of itself; part of that rest is when fellow members give some form of recognition.

Cmmdre
04-26-2013, 13:23
I for one am very put off by the attitude that individuals view this as "their site" and not "our site". I'm new to this stuff and really don't enjoy negative attitudes when this should be about sharing, learning and most of all fun.

HMS Lydia
04-26-2013, 13:39
I think the purpose was more to foster community and say thank you for contributions than something to be pursued. Given that this is a virtual community, one of the ways to recognize the contributions each makes to the game and community is through virtual medals. I think by the logic of the KS medal, the same would apply to those who received medals for being founding members of the site. A similar argument could be made for the others as to how much time and effort has been invested in the site. I think Ed's comment, and I realize I could be wrong, had to do with quality over quantity, and not an indictment of medals per se.

Speaking personally, I have been encouraged by others' contributions to contribute what I can. Sometimes my knowledge of their contributions comes through their medals, sometimes through their informative and helpful posts or threads. From my time on the Aerodrome, the two seem positively correlated. I am sure as the Anchorage develops with the game release, the same will be true here. Basically, do the right things for the right reason, and the rest will take care of itself; part of that rest is when fellow members give some form of recognition.

Eric,

That's how I read the post. My view was based on mentally not comprehending the need! I agree, it is a positive thing and I certainly appreciate the hard effort it took to put this all together. I also apprieciate knowing who the founders are, and other things the medals acknowledge.

I post on a lot of gaming forums. The posts are geared toward the fact that I love the games or gaming in general. I certainly meant no offense with the above post.

Bob

HMS Lydia
04-26-2013, 13:45
I for one am very put off by the attitude that individuals view this as "their site" and not "our site". I'm new to this stuff and really don't enjoy negative attitudes when this should be about sharing, learning and most of all fun. Signing off.

Paul,

I certainly didn't mean any offense, and I don't own the site, I believe you have been a member here longer than I have. I hope you'll be back! You've posted some very good and thoughtful messages, and it would cheat the community if you decided not to continue. My statement was meant as a general lack of understanding people. Personally I don't care who posts how many messages to what threads. I have a delete button or I can chose simply not to read certain threads.

Bob

Cmmdre
04-26-2013, 14:30
Paul,

I certainly didn't mean any offense, and I don't own the site, I believe you have been a member here longer than I have. I hope you'll be back! You've posted some very good and thoughtful messages, and it would cheat the community if you decided not to continue. My statement was meant as a general lack of understanding people. Personally I don't care who posts how many messages to what threads. I have a delete button or I can chose simply not to read certain threads.

Bob

Not aimed at you Bob. Sorry, shouldn't have had such a negative tone.

Gunner
04-26-2013, 14:31
I can't control how people interpret things, but "let me make make this perfectly clear", the medals on this site are a good thing. They encourage what all sites need, participation.

The main reason for the post was to hopefully curtail new members from greeting all the members that came before them, one at a time.

This is as clear as I can make it.

Cmmdre
04-26-2013, 14:33
Crystal clear sir.

Tommy Z
04-26-2013, 19:36
The medal/rank structure is a great way to promote sharing & the hobbies we are passionate about. Everyone is welcomed as a valued and equal member. We have built a great (and relatively drama free) site at the Aerodrome. I hope to continue that here. Occasionally we may ruffle a few feathers, like any family. Just as long as we remember to respect each other & always look to improving the community we'll be fine.

No hard feelings mates!

I've got a keg o' Rum & you're all invited to share! :rum:

Berthier
04-26-2013, 22:14
Well said Tommy, there have been no loud disagreements here that I remember just a couple of vigorous discussions. We want to encourage that and the medal system, used on a lot of forums in various guises, works to help that. Sure some will manipulate the system, but those that do will probably soon drop away anyway or start adding meaningful contributions. All good from my end, I know where the delete key and I'm not afraid to use it.:pistole:

And Ed, I hear what you are saying and think my suggestion to make the new members introduction forum un-subscribable (spell?) to all except the new member would stop the problem of filled in-boxes immediately. Would have to ask Keith if this was possible or desirable though.

Capt P
04-28-2013, 17:02
Well I see there is a welcom aboard threat so guess all Welcome should go there. I too have wlecomed many new folks inb here. I do get a number of email responses so I can understand your concern.

Diamondback
04-28-2013, 17:59
Or, if my proposal about a weekly Captain's Mast thread goes forward, maybe make "Hails and Farewells" part of that?

7eat51
04-28-2013, 19:03
Or, if my proposal about a weekly Captain's Mast thread goes forward, maybe make "Hails and Farewells" part of that?

What do you envision DB? Have someone post a weekly thread within which would be announcements of new members?

Diamondback
04-28-2013, 19:20
Well, I was thinking a weekly thread started by the yet-to-be-appointed Awards Officer starting with the weekly list of medal awards, then a Welcome Aboard section listing the week's new arrivals, and then when applicable a Farewells section for cases like our late comrade Blue Jacket. Nothing too complicated, something that could even be posted as a template with filling in the appropriate blanks.

7eat51
04-28-2013, 21:15
Not a bad idea. I know on the Aerodrome, there is so much activity, that if I miss a day, I can miss new threads completely - not always feasible to scroll down the What's New to ensure any new threads or interesting posts were read. It is possible that in the future, the Anchorage could have similar traffic.

pward
04-28-2013, 21:50
As the game itself has not yet been released, it is difficult to come up with worthy thread topics, what else is one left to do but say hello to a new member? Hello everyone!

7eat51
04-28-2013, 21:54
As the game itself has not yet been released, it is difficult to come up with worthy thread topics, what else is one left to do but say hello to a new member? Hello everyone!

There's always politics and religion. :wink:

Coog
04-28-2013, 21:59

I think we've already strayed a bit into those areas:hmmm:.

Berthier
04-28-2013, 22:18
I think we've already strayed a bit into those areas:hmmm:.

Ahem yes, let's not mention Maggie again...I'm still smarting over that one:embarass:

Sea Gull
04-29-2013, 07:00

You can always continue your religious and political discusions of the Sox and cubs.:takecover::happy:

I've been away for a week and the amount of catching up that I need to do is a testement to the vibrancy of this forum. Only problem is once I'm up to date here I need to do the same over at the Aerodrome. :dazed:

Diamondback
04-29-2013, 15:58
You can always continue your religious and political discusions of the Sox and cubs.:takecover::happy:
Or of the Cult of Glock vs. the Disciples of Browning, 9mm vs .45ACP...

Who was the better designer between Sir Thomas Slade versus Jacques-Noel Sane... :D LOL

Gunner
04-29-2013, 16:16

I've been away for a week and the amount of catching up that I need to do is a testement to the vibrancy of this forum. Only problem is once I'm up to date here I need to do the same over at the Aerodrome. :dazed:

The Cubs are a religion to fans. Politics? There's no saving the people of Cook County.

Coog
04-29-2013, 16:25
Politics? There's no saving the people of Cook County.

Better be careful or you'll be sent a dead fish.:happy:

pward
04-29-2013, 16:35

Or... the black spot!

csadn
04-29-2013, 16:51
Or of the Cult of Glock vs. the Disciples of Browning, 9mm vs .45ACP...

Who was the better designer between Sir Thomas Slade versus Jacques-Noel Sane... :D LOL

The US won the War of 1812.

Oh, wait, that's neither religion nor politics -- just a simple fact. >;)

Gunner
04-29-2013, 16:59

The fish I can handle, but a horses head in my bed would shake me up.

7eat51
04-29-2013, 17:45

So on our wedding day, it is the custom in my wife's culture to present the parents of the bride a whole roasted pig. Furthermore, it is the custom for said parents to cutoff the head and tail and send them to the groom's parents - I think it has something to do with the beginning and end - can't quite remember. Imagine what it was like presenting an animal's head to my Italian Father and saying, "This is from Sue's parents."

Gunner
04-29-2013, 18:25
So on our wedding day, it is the custom in my wife's culture to present the parents of the bride a whole roasted pig. Furthermore, it is the custom for said parents to cutoff the head and tail and send them to the groom's parents - I think it has something to do with the beginning and end - can't quite remember. Imagine what it was like presenting an animal's head to my Italian Father and saying, "This is from Sue's parents."

I think that would have caused a call to Sicily, or Cicero, IL.

Coog
04-29-2013, 18:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC1_tdnZq1A

7eat51
04-29-2013, 20:42
I think that would have caused a call to Sicily, or Cicero, IL.

Thankfully, my Dad is one of the easiest going persons I have ever known - admirably so. No going to the mattresses that day. All I can say is he thoroughly enjoyed the meat.

Devsdoc
04-30-2013, 14:38
Hi All,
I understand that this site is for Ares and SAILS OF GLORY fans. The medals etc, are for supporting both and kickstarter for SOG. I'm no big fan of the models (scale,bases and as seen so far the sails and masts) but the hulls look O.K. just! I am very unhappy about having to buy models I do not need to get into this I think a good game. This is I think and hope is openly known to all on this site. I know I will not get medals and I hope don't post for just posting sake. I like you guys and I enjoy the threads and posts. I hope I add to this site and not get up peoples nose too much. A little is I think good sometimes. I maybe one member to get black-spots etc on this site. Being some what anti Ares and SOG. I do not wish to up-set members on this site and would happyly back-off. just ask.
Be safe
Rory

Gunner
04-30-2013, 15:44
I know I will not get medals and I hope don't post for just posting sake. I like you guys and I enjoy the threads and posts. I hope I add to this site and not get up peoples nose too much. A little is I think good sometimes. I maybe one member to get black-spots etc on this site. Being some what anti Ares and SOG. I do not wish to up-set members on this site and would happyly back-off. just ask.
Be safe
Rory

Hi Rory
There is one medal worth getting, that medal is the one you get for showing you care by donating to keep the Anchorage afloat. It does take money and much time to keep this site up. That's usually the first thing I look at when someone posts.

7eat51
05-01-2013, 00:38
Hi All,
I understand that this site is for Ares and SAILS OF GLORY fans. The medals etc, are for supporting both and kickstarter for SOG. I'm no big fan of the models (scale,bases and as seen so far the sails and masts) but the hulls look O.K. just! I am very unhappy about having to buy models I do not need to get into this I think a good game. This is I think and hope is openly known to all on this site. I know I will not get medals and I hope don't post for just posting sake. I like you guys and I enjoy the threads and posts. I hope I add to this site and not get up peoples nose too much. A little is I think good sometimes. I maybe one member to get black-spots etc on this site. Being some what anti Ares and SOG. I do not wish to up-set members on this site and would happyly back-off. just ask.
Be safe
Rory

Rory, I hope there is room on this site for civil disagreements. You backing off would be a true loss.

Berthier
05-01-2013, 04:20
Rory
Every contribution adds to the site and it's good to have opinions that don't just follow the trend...that would be ultimately very dull indeed. I think we can all put "someone's" nose out of joint at times, goes with posting anything really so post away. Worst thing that might happen is you get keel-haulled...ouch!

Sea Gull
05-02-2013, 06:38
Okay, maybe a dumb question, but how do you go about making a donation?

Berthier
05-02-2013, 06:41
Chris, go to the home page, left hand column down the bottom is a box for donations you can choose the amount and use paypal. I'm sure Keith would be grateful.:salute:

Sea Gull
05-02-2013, 06:51
Chris, go to the home page, left hand column down the bottom is a box for donations you can choose the amount and use paypal. I'm sure Keith would be grateful.:salute:

I can't get to the Home page. I'm not allowed there. The only page I can access is the Forum page. That explains why I've never seen it, at least I've not gone blind. :sly: I've found it on the Aerodrome so I know what I'm looking for now.

Berthier
05-02-2013, 07:08
Try typing in
sailsofglory.org/content.php

7eat51
05-02-2013, 07:51
Okay, maybe a dumb question, but how do you go about making a donation?

When you are at the Paypal site, there will be a link right when you're about to pay under your address that looks like this:

Add special instructions to the seller

Click that and when the text box opens up, put in your Anchorage name, e.g. Sea Gull, Berthier, 7eat51, etc.

Sea Gull
05-02-2013, 08:56
When I type sailsofglory.org/content.php I get :

Sea Gull, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

:cry:

7eat51
05-02-2013, 09:10
Chris, if you cannot access the homepage from within the Anchorage, try logging off, doing a google search for the Anchorage - which should bring you to the homepage - and logging back in and make your contribution. If you still have problems, PM Keith.

RichardPF
05-02-2013, 09:38
When I type sailsofglory.org/content.php I get :

:cry:

Chris, if you cannot access the homepage from within the Anchorage, try logging off, doing a google search for the Anchorage - which should bring you to the homepage - and logging back in and make your contribution. If you still have problems, PM Keith.

IIRC, Chris' login had an issue that a Rank insignia did not appear below his screen name until something was changed in the configuration long after he was on board.

I would not be surprised if there is some additional configuration flag issue that for some reason was still preventing his access to one or more site areas.

OmegaLazarus
05-03-2013, 14:21
Maybe you could disable the PM and welcome thread as counting into the post count for medals and the like. Some other forums I am on don't count intro threads towards post limit for vetting, medals etc.

It might help. Also, banning ppl who are just spamming could work. I help manage another site (different software), but I don't hesitate to "suspend for spam" based on my own judgement.

Diamondback
05-03-2013, 17:33
PM's don't count toward post totals IIRC...

Sea Gull
05-04-2013, 15:20
I had to log out and then I could get to the home page. What a beauty. Never seen it before. There's How-tos on building ships and all sorts of things. It's like Christmas all over again. :happy:

Anyway I followed Eric's advice and used Paypal so the donation is finally in.
I think Bruce is correct, it took a while before my rank titles showed up, probably due to some configuration issue somewhere so we'll see if this sorts itself out soon.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and advice.

Gunner
05-04-2013, 16:02
Anyway I followed Eric's advice and used Paypal so the donation is finally in.
I think Bruce is correct, it took a while before my rank titles showed up, probably due to some configuration issue somewhere so we'll see if this sorts itself out soon.

Nice going Chris:salute: This site deserves your support.